Maryland General Hospital Employee Reviews

Very well organized and productive place to work in with a locker room to relax in when you take your break
Internship/Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDApril 30, 2013
A typical day at work for me would be to, clock in first.Then i would get a teal and count how much money would be inside it, which is usually 150 dollars.After i count my teal i would go to a fellow employee and relieve them, then start my work.Being at food Depot i learned how to deal with the public, count money, give change ,bag groceries and do stock inventory.The management of Food depot was very organized and so were the managers.The store was neat as well as the employees.

My co-workers worked hard and were very dependable.My co-workers also took their job very seriously.The hardest part of my job to me was first learning how to operate the computers, but once you get use to it you get the hang of it.After you learn the basics everything becomes natural.The most enjoyable part of my job was pleasing the customers and learning something new. I love taking on new tasks and having responsibilities.
Pros
gift cards on holidays, paid vacation and a raise.
Cons
short breaks
ob/ gyn office
Phlebotomist & Lab Technician II (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDMarch 31, 2015
This was an environment that didn't have much culture in it. The patient base was low income and medical assistance, majority of the young ladies were middle school or high school drop outs. Most of them had trouble understanding simple things and needed a lot of guidance. I think the highlight of my days spent there was when I was able to guide one of the girls onto the right track, seeing them become passionate about what they are focused on the make their life better.
Pros
helping my patients
Cons
management
Enjoyed working with patients
Patient Insurance Representative / Patient Access (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDApril 25, 2014
It was a busy clinic where I worked. I enjoyed helping the patients and registering them. My coworkers and I worked very well with each other. We were a team. If someone slacked, then it was no issue of someone saying something to them. I enjoyed making my patients laugh or smile when they were upset about something. Sometimes it could be challenging dealing with a person who was upset for what ever reason, but you learned to try to make it as easy as possible for them. I always loved working with the public and the patients always enjoyed coming to me. You had to focus on time because it could get very busy and you wanted to make sure that the patients were ready for the doctor to keep the schedule.
Pros
even if one year we didn't get a raise, the next year would make up for it.
Cons
working short with a heavy schedule
Typical Day
Administrative Assistant III (Former Employee) –  Baltimore , mdAugust 31, 2015
Effectively screened, verified, and reported patient information. Completed the Patient Inquiry Sheet obtaining and verifying all information required, completed the form with the Intake Coordinator’s signature, date and time of call. Verified the type of payer coverage the caller has prior to admission and complete pre-certification if required Instruct the potential patient to come into the hospital for a screening to determine appropriateness for admission. Effectively obtained and managed all information related to patient’s payment source to facilitate admission, continued stay and discharge Received and coordinated all referrals to include notification of insurance providers for prior authorization and services covered. Assured that all patient’s frequencies are according to the Plan of Treatment and/or appropriate to the patient’s needs, coordinated scheduling and staffing
Turn & Burn
Licensed Healthcare Provider (Former Employee) –  Linden AvenueDecember 9, 2012
Great patient population, decent compensation, interesting neighborhood, flexible hours. However, after 3 months the practice manager announced (at a weekly meeting with absolutely everybody present) that they were ending use of my professional group. Basically, I and two professional peers got to hear that we were being laid off in a meeting with no warning. I wish I could report that this was the low point , but management got even worse after that until the three of us left.
Pros
great patient population
Cons
callous, nasty management
It has been one of the best places to work for the past couple of years.
Patient Care Technician (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MarylandJuly 31, 2015
Very good people and ability to handle and interrelate with other employees and management. Most of the management are able to listen and solve employees concerns and on a timely basis.
Pros
Constant learning and able to advance
Cons
sometimes poor decisions from management
I enjoyed working with happy Moms and babies
O.R. Scrub Nurse in OB GYN (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDSeptember 28, 2015
Working in the OR and assisting with abortions, I found I could not be a part of. I really enjoy helping to deliver babies and see the excitement on the parents face. That made it all worth wild.
Pros
Babies
Cons
To many abortions
Can't Describe
RN (Former Employee) –  BaltimoreJuly 10, 2012
This is an indescribable culture...I really can't explain it.
Managers are usually people who can't get jobs anyplace else.
Pros
good compensation
Cons
poor moral, poor treatment
experience
Administrative Assistant III (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDSeptember 17, 2015
I received a lot of useful information to help me on my educational journey. While going to school, I was able to learn how to apply medical diagnosis an office codes to a medical record electronically.
productive and nice work place
Externship (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDMay 27, 2014
a typical day at work was very busy which i like, the patient flow was steady and i enjoyed working with the patient to do as much as possible to make them feel better.management was very appreciative of each employee, co workers worked as a team and the most hardest part of the jobs was picking up heavy items, and the most enjoyable part of the job was having the patients smile and interact with you , also the luncheon were very good.
Pros
perks, incentatives
Cons
short breaks
Be ready for any, and everything
REGISTERED NURSE (Former Employee) –  827 LINDEN AVE, BALTIMORE MD 21201HGApril 2, 2013
We arrive for huddle, which is used to ensure continuity of care, and to abreast staff of new developments. Huddle is also used as a plate form in which staff can air problems or discussions. Hand off is received by on coming staff. Nurse checks charts. Nurse assesses each client, turning and repositioning, v/s. Talking with client to determine their needs for shift. First note is documented via meditech. All concerns are reported to physician. Medications are administered safely and effectively. Tube feedings are check to ensure that feeding is safe for client. G-tubes are check for patency, and residuals check before administering medication. Placement are check for all ng-tubes we typically have seven clients per day, but having 9 clients with three primaries can also occur. We typically have at least one client that will require a fever work up, blood culture, urine cs, chest xray, various blood work, and or blood transfusions can be completed daily. Vented client are closely monitored to avoid vap. We also care for ventricular assistive device clients. A typical day for me is being ready for anything. A day in nursing at my employment means that you must be versatile. My co-workers are trust worthy and dependable because we trust each other to play a part in saving the lives, and satisfying the customer. The hardest part of my job is remembering that nursing is a 24 hour job, I tend to want to complete all task myself, I need to learn to delegate more. What I enjoy about my job is that I learn something new everyday.
Pros
my job is close in location
Cons
i not sure that there is room for advancement
Co-workers are great.
Emergency Room Technician (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJuly 6, 2013
It's overall a decent place to work but management could be more approachable. I used to work in a level 1 trauma center where it was much more action. There aren't many traumas that come through but we get a fair share of medical emergencies. I enjoy most helping care for the patients as part of the medical treatment team.
Pros
great co-workers.
Cons
management could be more approachable.
not a very well to working any department or for MGH
ex worker (Former Employee) –  Balimore,MDNovember 5, 2012
Poor hr, poor management, rejects workers that cannot get a job anywhere else, and so dirty.
Managers don't know how to speak to anyone with respect
Don't follow the hepa rule laws. Lies and disrespect, patients as well as fellow co-workers. I could write a book on it. Shame that UMBC took them in, they will bring them down too.

It's your choice
Pros
they allow to get training to go where you like.
Cons
everything
good
Safety & Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJanuary 15, 2015
they cared about their employees. upper management was cool and the schedule and pay was good. I only left because they wouldnt give me the schedule i wanted, so i could be home with my child at night.
Great teaching hospital
Staff RN (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDAugust 22, 2014
Came to MGH as a new nurse graduate,great place to work as a new nurse,Mentors and all the other nurses were very caring and protective of their new nurses.Staff was very helpful,always took the time to answer questions and assist as needed,Charge nurse always checked on you to see if any help was needed when you were no longer being mentored.The hardest part of the job as a new nurse was having more than one patient and setting up priority.The most enjoyable part of the job is when,one day you realize you are finished on time,and didn't have to stay beyond your shift.
Pros
always keep an open mind and you can go far
Cons
don't ever guess at anything, and don't ever asume, don't be afraid to ask questions
A Great Start in my career in Phlebotomy
Certified Phlebotomist (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDAugust 13, 2012
Maryland General allowed me to continue as there employee from internship from 2007-present. I've learned over the years how to be perfessional in the healthcare work environment. Communicating with the doctors and nurses helps provide excellent healthcare to the patient. Manangement works around the clock to make sure the areas in the hospital are running according to hospital policy and HIPPA/OSHA law. The hardest part of the job is not being able to optain blood from a patient with hardly any viens, but recently helped my skill in phlebotomy learning new ways that'll help the job get easier by the day. I enjoy working at Maryland General; it is a place of work that I enjoy being around the co-workers and patients taking charge of the plan and thats getting the patient back in good condition.
Fun place office of United Nations.
Registrar & Assistant Manager, Pediatric Team (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDMay 8, 2015
The doctor's office was considered office of United Nations because there were 6 physicians and they were all from a different countries, that made the enviroment fun.
Pros
Free lunches, free samples
Cons
Short brakes and healthcare.
management is TERRIBLE
Reimbursement Application Specialist (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDOctober 23, 2013
a typical day is overwhelming. The co-worker are ok. The hardest part about the job was management not know how to do it either.
a good place to work
Material Manager (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDDecember 4, 2012
The hardest part of the job is dealing with union issues. Director showed concern for the employees. I also like the fact that the CEO talks to everyone.
Pros
good managers
Cons
union issues
Just Work
Diet Aide (Current Employee) –  Baltimore,MarylandJune 2, 2012
It's not as exciting in my department day to day,year after year it's the same thing.There's really no advancement in my department.
Pros
training for other jobs
Cons
treatment

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Maryland General Hospital. Our community is ready to answer.

Maryland General Hospital Reviews by Location