Maryland Live! Casino Employee Reviews in United States

Poorly managed business
Dealer (Current Employee) –  Hanover, MDMay 4, 2016
The finances are shaky, at best...huge discrepancy with pay as a means to keep Supervisor pay lower. Analysts are managing, not "casino people" - decide that less management (eyes) results in lower labor cost but less security, in turn, players notice and reputation becomes stained. Among other things...
Family values In a big company
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Hanover, MDMay 2, 2016
Maryland live casino is a very large Compnay that manages to operate like a family. They have some issues, as every company does, but are always willing to listen and try to improve.
Pros
Discounted meals, tuition reimbursement, on site medical clinic
Cons
24/7 operations that never closes. We have to work when others are playing
Not recommeded
VIP Ambassador (Former Employee) –  Hanover, MDApril 28, 2016
Not the greatest place to work. Lower management understands employees needs but upper management is truly out of focus
Great place to work, if you're a full-time employee.
Casino Poker Dealer (Former Employee) –  Hanover, MDApril 6, 2016
This place offers a high-energy, fast paced work environment, with great pay, flexible hours, and full benefits for full time employees. Management is very professional. Departments (Poker, Table Games, etc.) are separated, causing delays in communication.
Pros
Full Service Dining Room.
Cons
Point system for attendance.
Great working environment, very hands om
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Hanover, MDMarch 23, 2016
Working here you never know what to expect, it can be either extremely slow some days and off the wall busy the next. The training period is awesome they definitely make sure you're ready before throwing you out on your own. Management and coworkers are great, everybody works as a team. It makes things a whole lot easier, they have your back.
Pros
nice variety of food, great opportunities
Cons
scheduling is based off seniority
Long hours, no life, lots of favortism, attendance policy sucks
Main Banker (Current Employee) –  Hanover, MDMarch 5, 2016
I work in the cage department been working for the company for almost 2 years and I can honestly say this is the worst job I've ever had. The turn over rate is so high in this department that most of the time were short staffed this time last year they were forcing us to work 6 days every other week we were told that it would only be for 2-3 months but it ended up being 8 months. They have no grace period if u punch in 1 minute late you get pointed, if you call out because you're sick or you're child is sick they'll point you even if you have a doctors note. You have to work EVERY single holiday no acceptions if you callout you get 2 points instead of 1 last year I requested time off for my daughters 1st birthday and I was denied because it "fell on a holiday weekend". The only people that get promotions are the ones that they like and most of the time they dont even deserve it. They write you up for everything under the sun, I mean EVERYTHING they write you up if your shirts not tucked in properly, if your sleeves are rolled up, seriously everything and when its time for bonuses they hit you with oh you cant get one because you had a write up in that quater. I could go on and on but Im gonna stop right here I would never recommend this job to anyone they don't care about you, your kids, nothing all they want you to do is come in and be a robot for 8-10 hours...terrible place to work.
Pros
Great coworkers
Cons
Management sucks, not enough pay, too many deductions(from paycheck), way too much favortism, no time for personal life, attendance policy
Poverty wages, poor employee support
Club services rep (Current Employee) –  Hanover, MDFebruary 20, 2016
Nobody can support themselves on $1,100.00 a month. At least not in Maryland. I earned more than this 20 years ago in an impoverished southern state. I applied for my position with many years of customer service/supervisory experience. This company doesn't care about experience. They claim to offer advancement, however, from what I've seen so far only the managers favorites are promoted.
A typical day in my department involves standing in one place for 8 hours, answering guest inquiries, advising guests of current promotions, and dealing with many unreasonable people who have no business gambling because they don't understand the odds. It is the nature of this business to stack the odds against our guests, after all.
I have some wonderful coworkers, including a couple of my supervisors. I also am forced to work in close proximity with immature and unstable people. I've seen firsthand how the egos of unstable individuals clouds rational decision making. It's no wonder the turn over rate of employees is so high. If this casino offered true competitive wages (as they claim to), and awarded pay incentive on an individual basis instead of as a group, there would be many happy, loyal employees who actually like it there. This is obviously not something the millionaire owner gets . He would rather keep hiring short term employees at low wages rather than retain solid long term employees. The general concensous of him is nothing short of contempt.
Pros
Cheap meals, though not always edible. Free health clinic
Cons
Poverty wages
Productive and fun workplace
Steward/Deli attendant (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDFebruary 6, 2016
A typical day at work was a breeze, what was needed to be done was clear and straight forward.

Management was awsome.

The most enjoyable part of the job was everything, the days went by quick and enjoyable because everyone did what they were suppose to do and the atmosphere was awsome
Pros
plenty hours, benefits
Fun
Housekeeping Technician (Former Employee) –  Mills, WYNovember 2, 2015
I liked working at Maryland Live I got to meet different people and the job was fun the staff was great.
I would love to work there again.
Supportive Management Team in a Fun & Productive Work Place!
Lead Club Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Hanover, MDSeptember 24, 2015
Fun & Productive place to work overall! There are a lot of opportunity, growth while you are working at Live. Would have loved to have stayed but the pay is just not what I am use too. Especially, coming from someone with a family. But even if you were a single parent or just single no one can survive off of the pay that is given, if this was to be your one and only place of Work/Career. Having this as your main place of work/career you cannot afford to keep an over your head, feed your family/self, pay your bills and cloth oneself, unless you are Management or above then you are good to go. However, if you are just looking for something part time this is perfect or you are in college again perfect while you are going for your degree. .
Working for MLC
Table Games Scheduler (Current Employee) –  Hanover, MDSeptember 22, 2015
I really love working for Maryland Live! Casino. I love my job and going to work everyday. I would love to continue to work for them but the cost of living in Maryland is too high.
Good luck
Table Games Dealer (Current Employee) –  Hanover, MDSeptember 8, 2015
This is my first casino gig. This casino says they care about their employees. But facts prove otherwise.

As a dealer. Sometimes we sit on dead tables for the entire 8 hour day, get scheduled 6 days when there seems to be no reason like a holiday. Management shows favoritism, even preventing employees to get their true evaluations that lead to increase in pay and even annual bonuses.

Yes we get turkeys for thanksgiving, employee day at SixFlags but those things don't make up for the rest of the year when we have bigger things to complain about.

Employees are tired of being forced to work overtime, tired of not being paid correctly and not getting bonuses we all deserve.

A lot of departments didn't get a bonus or raise, but the casino owners come in and give players $100 bills and Gucci watches. *slap in the face*
Employees complain EVERYDAY some even to management who don't seem to care AT ALL
Pros
inexpensive lunches, 20 min break every hour, benefits
Cons
Questionable pay, disappointing raises, management, unwanted overtime
A typical day at work
Hospitality/Marketing Representative (Current Employee) –  Hanover, MDAugust 27, 2015
A typical day at work is providing great customer service, greet customer, make it fun and also a safe place to visit, work at a fast pace to insure great customer service to guest.
Pros
Great business
Cons
Not enough of a pay
management
Poker Dealer (Current Employee) –  Hanover, MDAugust 6, 2015
Fun place to work with a somewhat supportive management staff. Sometimes the staff aren't as supportive as we like but we deal with things in a respectable manor.
Pros
Meeting different people.
Cons
part-time health benefits
Good but still can improve
Housekeeping / Drop & Count (Former Employee) –  Hanover, MDJuly 28, 2015
They show offer more opportunities for advancement and give those advancements to people who actually work, not those who shmooze and suck up. Management also needs some work on their communication skills.
Fun and enjoyable atmosphere. Wonderful people.
Slot Attendant (Former Employee) –  Hanover, MDJuly 20, 2015
I loved my job. I met so many different people from all over the country.Talking and making sure their experience at the casino was an enjoyable one. I did'nt like it that a lot of people lost money, but it was a casino after all. Management was a work in progress but it was getting better. My co-workers were a joy and we all helped each other. There was never a dull moment.
No chance of social life
Security Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Hanover, MDJuly 5, 2015
Just to let you know what you're getting into. The schedule for security is 6 days on 2 days off (not weekend) x4 then 6 days on 4 days off. You will be asked to do things way outside of a typical "customer service oriented" security officer, and get no advancement for it. Needlessly strict work environment. Supervisors will follow you around on post to make sure you dont talk to anyone. Its quite ridiculous. not a serious security position. It's essentially all customer service.
Pros
good co workers (for the most part)
Cons
supervision, lack of pay, lack of advancement
Young company more focused on competition
Security Ambassador; Mentor (Current Employee) –  Hanover, MDMay 12, 2015
I have worked there for more than a year, and have nothing to say that is too thrilling about this place. With the high volume of employees, there is no true intimate surroundings, and everyone there has the focus of a high-school student. There is too much gossip and foolishness, degrees are valued more than work ethic (yes, those with degrees typically are very half-baked, lethargic, boondoggling individuals who have never worked in a casino environment before), yet have education that is somewhat compatible with the gaming environment.

BUT! Most of these issues are due to the fact of it being such a new company in an environment that has never truly experienced gaming/gambling environments on a day-to-day basis. If you have patience (LOTS OF IT), then you will find that certain key employers and managers will see you as valuable and will invest in you properly.
Pros
Cheap food court, variety of people, Many departments
Cons
"Benign Crab" management strategy mostly, Investment in employees, Egos of Managers
Daily Work Day
Licensed Dealer - Maryland (Current Employee) –  Hanover, MDMay 8, 2015
Fast paced, lively work environment. Great supervisors and coworkers, very friendly and engaging. Hardest thing was keeping track of players at your table and the bank rack. Talking to many different people gives a new experience each day.
Pros
Great people
Cons
Short breaks
Great Co-Workers
Accountant (Current Employee) –  Hanover, MDMay 2, 2015
Very busy place, great experience. I have learnt a lot regarding the casino industry. High turnover is not motivating at all.
Pros
Great Co-Workers and Affordable Meals
Cons
No work/life balance

2.8