Maryland Live! Casino Employee Reviews

Supportive Management Team in a Fun & Productive Work Place!
Lead Club Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Hanover, MDSeptember 24, 2015
Fun & Productive place to work overall! There are a lot of opportunity, growth while you are working at Live. Would have loved to have stayed but the pay is just not what I am use too. Especially, coming from someone with a family. But even if you were a single parent or just single no one can survive off of the pay that is given, if this was to be your one and only place of Work/Career. Having this as your main place of work/career you cannot afford to keep an over your head, feed your family/self, pay your bills and cloth oneself, unless you are Management or above then you are good to go. However, if you are just looking for something part time this is perfect or you are in college again perfect while you are going for your degree. .
Working for MLC
Table Games Scheduler (Current Employee) –  Hanover, MDSeptember 22, 2015
I really love working for Maryland Live! Casino. I love my job and going to work everyday. I would love to continue to work for them but the cost of living in Maryland is too high.
Good luck
Table Games Dealer (Current Employee) –  Hanover, MDSeptember 8, 2015
This is my first casino gig. This casino says they care about their employees. But facts prove otherwise.

As a dealer. Sometimes we sit on dead tables for the entire 8 hour day, get scheduled 6 days when there seems to be no reason like a holiday. Management shows favoritism, even preventing employees to get their true evaluations that lead to increase in pay and even annual bonuses.

Yes we get turkeys for thanksgiving, employee day at SixFlags but those things don't make up for the rest of the year when we have bigger things to complain about.

Employees are tired of being forced to work overtime, tired of not being paid correctly and not getting bonuses we all deserve.

A lot of departments didn't get a bonus or raise, but the casino owners come in and give players $100 bills and Gucci watches. *slap in the face*
Employees complain EVERYDAY some even to management who don't seem to care AT ALL
Pros
inexpensive lunches, 20 min break every hour, benefits
Cons
Questionable pay, disappointing raises, management, unwanted overtime
A typical day at work
Hospitality/Marketing Representative (Current Employee) –  Hanover, MDAugust 27, 2015
A typical day at work is providing great customer service, greet customer, make it fun and also a safe place to visit, work at a fast pace to insure great customer service to guest.
Pros
Great business
Cons
Not enough of a pay
management
Poker Dealer (Current Employee) –  Hanover, MDAugust 6, 2015
Fun place to work with a somewhat supportive management staff. Sometimes the staff aren't as supportive as we like but we deal with things in a respectable manor.
Pros
Meeting different people.
Cons
part-time health benefits
Good but still can improve
Housekeeping / Drop & Count (Former Employee) –  Hanover, MDJuly 28, 2015
They show offer more opportunities for advancement and give those advancements to people who actually work, not those who shmooze and suck up. Management also needs some work on their communication skills.
Fun and enjoyable atmosphere. Wonderful people.
Slot Attendant (Former Employee) –  Hanover, MDJuly 20, 2015
I loved my job. I met so many different people from all over the country.Talking and making sure their experience at the casino was an enjoyable one. I did'nt like it that a lot of people lost money, but it was a casino after all. Management was a work in progress but it was getting better. My co-workers were a joy and we all helped each other. There was never a dull moment.
No chance of social life
Security Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Hanover, MDJuly 5, 2015
Just to let you know what you're getting into. The schedule for security is 6 days on 2 days off (not weekend) x4 then 6 days on 4 days off. You will be asked to do things way outside of a typical "customer service oriented" security officer, and get no advancement for it. Needlessly strict work environment. Supervisors will follow you around on post to make sure you dont talk to anyone. Its quite ridiculous. not a serious security position. It's essentially all customer service.
Pros
good co workers (for the most part)
Cons
supervision, lack of pay, lack of advancement
Young company more focused on competition
Security Ambassador; Mentor (Current Employee) –  Hanover, MDMay 12, 2015
I have worked there for more than a year, and have nothing to say that is too thrilling about this place. With the high volume of employees, there is no true intimate surroundings, and everyone there has the focus of a high-school student. There is too much gossip and foolishness, degrees are valued more than work ethic (yes, those with degrees typically are very half-baked, lethargic, boondoggling individuals who have never worked in a casino environment before), yet have education that is somewhat compatible with the gaming environment.

BUT! Most of these issues are due to the fact of it being such a new company in an environment that has never truly experienced gaming/gambling environments on a day-to-day basis. If you have patience (LOTS OF IT), then you will find that certain key employers and managers will see you as valuable and will invest in you properly.
Pros
Cheap food court, variety of people, Many departments
Cons
"Benign Crab" management strategy mostly, Investment in employees, Egos of Managers
Daily Work Day
Licensed Dealer - Maryland (Current Employee) –  Hanover, MDMay 8, 2015
Fast paced, lively work environment. Great supervisors and coworkers, very friendly and engaging. Hardest thing was keeping track of players at your table and the bank rack. Talking to many different people gives a new experience each day.
Pros
Great people
Cons
Short breaks
Great Co-Workers
Accountant (Current Employee) –  Hanover, MDMay 2, 2015
Very busy place, great experience. I have learnt a lot regarding the casino industry. High turnover is not motivating at all.
Pros
Great Co-Workers and Affordable Meals
Cons
No work/life balance
Long hours and no compensation
F&B/ Supervisory (Current Employee) –  HanoverApril 1, 2015
With the economy as it is my job is needed no matter how I'm treated. There are clicks within the casino so you have to be careful what you say and whose feathers you may ruffle. A lot of the managers are not experienced or team players. I could do so much more for the company but my manager fears that I want his job. My growth is stunted. The schedule is horrible and makes no sense. Some days I work 10 hours for no reason and I'm on salary. Some others employees who are close with the manager have excellent schedules. I'm basically becoming tired and physically ill from the wear and tear of the rigorous schedule on my body. Benefits excellent, though.
Pros
Free lunch items. Great health benefits!
Cons
No life. Horrible inconsistent schedules that change daily.
Great environment with bad people running it
Live! Party Starter (Former Employee) –  Hanover, MDJanuary 25, 2015
The system is in no way resistant to change. Unfortunately, they change procedure TOO OFTEN. This disrupts the flow of business and causes confused and angry customers.
large company
Sous Chef (Current Employee) –  Hanover, MDDecember 4, 2014
good solid company to work for. Very busy operation 24/7, 365 days a year.
no life
Representative (Current Employee) –  Hanover, MDNovember 25, 2014
*unstable schedule
*off site parking during holiday
*poor management
*no overtime
*strict security
*must have strong customer service
Pros
perfect attendance bonus, quaterly
Cons
24/7 facility, no holidays, blackout periods
Good money but horrible management
Live Party Starter (Current Employee) –  Hanover, MDSeptember 26, 2014
I am still new at MLC, but one thing that I got straight is that NOBODY cares. Nobody. No matter how much they preach about open door policy when they hire you, as long as the millions are poring in, nobody cares about you. Just make peace with that from the start, it will save you lots of nerves in the future.
Make sure to keep a log of all your hours and hourly wages, because payroll NEVER gets it right. I repeat NEVER. Somehow they always manage to cut you short, never the other way round. Every two weeks I have to come to work 30 min early to pay a visit to those smart folks in payroll.
Management is a joke. I would laugh if it wasn't so sad. Out of 8 managers, only one is decent. But again - nobody cares. It seems as soon as a supervisor or manager is hired, they forget about him/her completely, as I see this to be the only explanation to why there are so many incompetent managers there.
Pros
free cereal, salads, fruit; pay
Cons
management
Worse place to work
Manager (Former Employee) –  BaltimoreSeptember 1, 2014
Management needs improvement. Culinary gets treated like dirt and over worked and under paid... Jr sous chef are under paid and treated like an hourly when they are salary managers. schedules are changed at a drop of a hat without notice...the atmosphere is rather cold..
Pros
resume builder
Cons
working at md live
Very interesting place to work
Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Hanover, MDJune 16, 2014
Every night is an adventure. Between escorting out intoxicated guests and having poker players stay in the poker room for days at a time therefore getting extremely agitated with each other.
Pros
food is inexpensive, promotions
Cons
no union for security department
Room For Growth - High Expectations
Manager (Current Employee) –  Hanover, MDMay 13, 2014
Management and Ownership change their mind about important things daily.

There is plenty of room for advancement with heavy turnover and new positions being added constantly.

They are slowly realizing that the pay is not competitive, but only after the threat of competition arriving soon.
Pros
room for advancement
Cons
long hours, not much appreciation
Fast paced environment
Main Banker (Current Employee) –  Hanover, MDApril 23, 2014
I love the people that I work with but I HATE the fact that we have a "point system" for attendance. It's like we are small children being monitored. You get points even if you're sick with a doctors note.It's ridiculous.

2.8