Director of Human Resources
The Maryland Office of the Public Defender seeks a highly motivated, positive and experienced Director of Human Resources to play a vital role in the development, implementation and communication of long-term strategies for human resource management, operations and personnel services. Reporting directly to the Public Defender, and an experienced member of the Senior Management Team, the Director will increase the capacity of the Human Resources Division through the implementation of best practices that align staff with the mission and goals of the agency and conform to State personnel law.
Roles & Responsibilities:
· Maintains current knowledge and oversight of all personnel functions, including: recruitment; employment services; classification; compensation; benefits; HRIS; retirement; employee relations; EEO / ADA / FMLA; policy and procedure; budget; compliance; payroll; employee engagement; orientation; on-boarding.
· Works closely with Administration, District and Division management teams to hire, develop, promote, integrate and retain the best and brightest for OPD.
· Strengthens leaders’ ability to assess human resource needs, identify talent gaps, recognize and reward performance and build teams.
· Ensures the design and delivery of the OPD Performance Evaluation Program – trains and institutes knowledge in all agency management staff and employees on performance evaluation. Supports management and manages administration of evaluation program in partnership with State HR.
· Handles all employee relations matters. Identifies and resolves employee relations matters with professionalism. Determines training and communications needs based on situations and trends in employee relations.
· Maximizes talent through effective management consultation and support of coaching, performance management and productivity.
· Interprets, applies and implements laws, rules, regulations, policies and procedures relevant to State personnel law.
· Understands and navigates complex State personnel laws and effectively communicates with a solutions-oriented approach.
Organizational Design & Development
· Works with agency leadership to identify opportunities to allocate resources, design and deliver best practices for efficiencies in delivering superior client representation.
· Identifies gaps in employee knowledge. Designs and delivers effective training and development programs to maximize talent and proactive, positive interactions at all levels.
· Institutionalizes knowledge and alignment of agency mission, vision, values and strategic plan.
· Oversees core values implementation and strategic plan activities associated with HR, ER, training, development, best practices, employee engagement, recruitment and HR service delivery.
· Oversees staff of approximately 10 direct HR representatives. Works closely with related partners and indirect reports to include: Senior Management, Attorney recruiting, Training, EEO / ADA, etc.
· Creates a service driven environment for the delivery of all personnel activities.
· Provides coaching, mentoring and guidance to senior leadership on all HR matters.
· Builds relationships with State network to identify relevant communications, programs and to foster support for OPD personnel activities.
· Communicates with all agency leaders and State partners with a solutions-oriented approach.
HR Policy, Planning & Analysis
· Develops competency models to standardize operating practices and assess employee performance.
· Determines fiscal and operational impact of personnel actions. Prepares and presents budget and relevant legislative documents in partnership with agency CFO, Senior Management and legislative partners.
· Develops and effectively manages action plans to manage multiple priorities – including strategic planning initiatives, legislative and budgetary responses, oversight of all HR activities
· Bachelor’s degree with at least seven years of experience in mid-sized, diverse organization.
· Advanced degree in relevant field, SPHR certification, Senior Management experience preferred.
· Multi-site leadership experience preferred.
· Solutions-oriented approach to problem solving and communications.
· Communicates effectively with all levels of employee and management.
· Commitment to high-quality customer-focused service environment.
· Successful planning and implementation of transformational change management strategies, including HR change management.
· Experienced in strategic planning and core values implementation preferred.
· Open, honest, accessible style.
· Ability to resolve conflicts and fosters a collaborative approach to problem solving.
· Excellent oral and written communication skills.
The Maryland Office of the Public Defender is a public legal services agency that provides state-funded constitutionally mandated representation to indigent individuals charged with a criminal offence at all states of the criminal case including trial, appeal and eligible post-conviction proceedings. Representation is provided through offices and services at 52 locations statewide with a workforce of approximately 1000 employees. The mission statement is to provide superior legal representation to indigent defendants in the state of Maryland. The agency vision is to provide Justice, Fairness and Dignity For All. MOPD is an equal opportunity employer.
For consideration please submit cover letter, resume and three references via email or mail to:
The Maryland Office of the Public Defender
Attn: Paul DeWolfe
RE: HR Director Hiring Committee
6 Saint Paul Street, Suite 1400
Baltimore, MD 21202