MARYLAND TRANSPORTATION AUTHORITY Employee Reviews in United States

Comfortable workplace with a wonderful break room
Toll Collector (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDOctober 6, 2015
A typical day at work was unpredictable, entertaining, and relaxing. My time I spent on the job, I learned how to further demonstrate proper organization skills, as well as, customer service demonstration. The management at my particular facility was not execute in a proper way. For example, there was no communication between supervisors, so at times the days would be heck-tick and unorganized. However, working with my co-workers was a delight. There was a mix of ages, races, genders, and personalities. Everyone got along great. I would say that there was no hard parts of the job. As long as you can keep a steady composure and can do simple math, it's really easy. The most enjoyable part of the job was working alone in your booth. Now I am definitely a people person and enjoy the company and help of others even, but its really relaxing to have your own personal space with just you and the customer.
Pros
Great breaks, free lunch w/ overtime
Cons
Leadership
Procurement Assistant (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDSeptember 22, 2015
Nice place to work. People are friendly and they will help you grow and learn in your environment. The state is always offering new ways to learn in each field.
Nice Place to work.
Bus Operator (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDSeptember 4, 2015
Drive the residence of Maryland around this city was a pleasure.
It was fun going to work everyday. I meet such great people there.
Great company to work for
Administrative Officer III (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJune 27, 2015
I am a part of the EZPass Operations team and the management and co-workers are excellent.
Great mentoring and support from everyone. It is a faced pace busy environment with constant change, so one must be quick to adapt to changes. I loved it.
Pros
great staff, State of MD revenue generating agency.
Cons
bad roads to drive to work
cutting edge technology
Help Desk Engineer (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDApril 3, 2015
Not much to say, the company had acquired cutting edge technology and along side a great management team. All its efforts were directed towards meeting management needs with technology.
Pros
good play to work
Cons
no launches - but great coffee room
Nice place to work, flexible hours, close commute from home to work
Public Affairs Specialist I (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MD 21224February 3, 2015
With this position we inter act with the public all the time, so we have to be knowledgeable with MDTA new projects that we are out to represent and the EZ-Pass Maryland rules and regulations. So we could be traveling anywhere in MD, DC or VA depending on the project. Our department with MDTA is communications, so if I'm in the office most likely I would be answering phones as well as finishing reports, replenishing supplies, looking for new or following up on upcoming events. Although this job is not difficult at all most of the time sometime dealing with the public is. Some of the people we talk to can be very argumentative and unpleasant at times. I do like the fact that my hours and days can be very easy and flexible but unfortunately this is a contractual position and I don't get to enjoy any of the states benefits, so it's hard for me to take off.
Pros
nice co-worker, close to home, flexible hours.
Cons
no benefits (vacation, sick time, 401k...etc.)
Terrible work enviorment
Toll Collector I - Temporary (Former Employee) –  Annapolis, MDNovember 24, 2014
Days are long
Lack of Advancement
Management let their emotions get the best of them on a daily basis
Hardest part of the job was the distance and management's attitude
Great State Job
REVENUE / TOLL COLLECTOR (Former Employee) –  Annapolis, MDOctober 23, 2014
Collect toll from each vehicle,, tally up your money drawl at the end of the day.
Pros
great job with great benifits
Cons
management treated us like we werent human only a number
Never a dull moment
BUSINESS ANALYST (Former Employee) –  Annapolis, MDOctober 14, 2014
A typical day included constant and consistent change which involved quickly thinking on your feet and planning in advance for potential risks and problems. The work was fascinating and challenging which was most enjoyable along with my co-workers and managers. The most enjoyable part of the job was helping staff achieve their tasks which assisted the organization in accomplishing its goals.
Pros
challenging and constant change
Cons
a lot of time away from home
An excellent entry-level state job.
Toll Collector (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDAugust 8, 2014
*Pay and benefits are well-rounded (including vacation)
*Very organized and resourceful
*You establish close relationships with co-workers and customers
*Career advancement is inevitable
*Pray there will not be anymore state lay-offs soon
Pros
great benefits, vacation and discounts
Cons
customers can be very nefarious

Want to know more about MARYLAND TRANSPORTATION AUTHORITY?

Ask a question
Contract job
IT Project Manager (Former Employee) –  baltimore mdJune 22, 2014
hated working their , wasn't accustomed to having someone mark my time ... likely a result of being a contractor
Sr. Police Officer (Former Employee) –  Dundalk, MDApril 29, 2014
The typical day is very quiet and problem free, you learn to manage your time and people. Coworker could work together better. Getting there travel a hour to work and supervision. My vacation was the most enjoyable part of my job,.
Pros
good pay
Cons
not enough diversity
awful job
Toll Collector (Former Employee) –  annapolis mdOctober 16, 2013
The management is awful. You get tips from customers and have to turn them into toll supervisors and they put it in their coffee fund. Hell I don't drink coffee. Rulers and policies only exist at their convenience. Toll collectors smoke in the booths and when u tell u get ridiculed. Smoking in a state facility is against the law. There is a lot of foul language and a lot of harassment on the job. Again once u tell u get harassed even more.
benefits
Cons
terrible work environment, sometimes no heat in booths
State Employment
Business Analyst Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDMay 22, 2013
The most enjoyable part of my job is implementing industry best Business Analyst practices into a youthful PMO office
nice place to work for
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDApril 10, 2013
Mornings can be hectic, but thats challenging for me, co workers enjoy the help that I provide for them
Pros
close to home
Cons
enjoy the working crew
Stagnant
Minority Business Enterprise Compliance Officer (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDApril 3, 2013
The organization consists of a number of long term state employee's who have no aspirations beyond getting through the work day. Work is lacking, innovation is lacking and moral is low. The organization is full of sects and departmental fights.
Cons
commute, poor work environment
This is one state employer you want to stear clear of.
Facility Maintenance Technician II (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDDecember 29, 2012
It's a Good Old Boys kind of club and it's been that way for years. They don't take too lightly to people of color and they'll do everything and anything to keep you in your place.

Although it's currently a part of The State of Maryland, that's by layout only. It operates from a board of members who are appointed by the Governor. You don't get a fair salary for the work you do.
benefits
Cons
salary
A nice job I wouldn't mine doing again.
Toll Collector 1 (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDSeptember 29, 2012
A typical work day started somewhat busy but after awhile it became very busy due to the work schedule. I've learned responsabilties of handling money and dealing with people and the different attitudes. The co-workers were very respectful, helpful, and patience with new employers. The hardest part of the job was keeping the money bag accurate and opening up the safe to lock in the money. The most enjoyable part of the job was being there and doing my job.
Pros
getting the chance to work and meet new people everyday.
Cons
having a supervisor disliking you for being good at job in such little time.