MARYLAND TRANSPORTATION AUTHORITY Employee Reviews

Typical Day
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Dundalk, MDNovember 20, 2017
On a typical day, I would enter payments into the database, file, answer the phone and any emails sent in. I would also make copies of various files, scan various files, and fax various files.
Pros
Learned information in a field I was not yet familiar with.
Cons
Did not work many hours due to still being in high school.
State agency focused on managing tolled facilities.
ICC Facility Administrator (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDNovember 6, 2017
MdTA managed all tolled facilities in Maryland with an eye to providing consistent access and rapid transit, at the most economical rates, of the tolled facilities while maintaining high safety standards.
It was a fast paced work environment and extremely proactive to adverse weather conditions.
Pros
Exciting
Cons
Bad weather equatedto LONG hours
Great people
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDSeptember 7, 2017
MDTA the place for some people but not for others. Everything is always changing. I would not slander the name or place but I would rather make a career somewhere else than there.
Cons
Parking
Excellent place to start a career for life.
Radio technician. (Former Employee) –  MarylandAugust 22, 2017
Do your job to the best of your abilities. Ask as many questions as you can from people who have been there for a while. They can be a font of information. Take advantage of all the educational activities that they offer you. Be yourself, a hard worker.
Pros
Possible career with plenty of opportunities for advancement.
Cons
I cannot think of any. I wish I could have stayed.
fair
Toll Collector (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDAugust 7, 2017
for a state job with state benefits the pay sucks scheduling was horrible felt like you spend more time at work than anything management didn't care about you life they will mandatory overtime you 5 minutes before your shift ends and if you refuse you get a write up
Bus Operator (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDApril 18, 2017
Work is what you make it you deal with a bunch or different people stick to time points however communication is the most important part as well as safety
Pros
Excellent benefits
Cons
Senortiy based job
learned
Maintenance Technician (Former Employee) –  Anne Arundel County, MDFebruary 9, 2017
I got my cdl here this is where I learned how to drive a dump truck to get my class b cdl I really enjoyed working here the pay was not good though but the benefits were great
We always worked as a team
Toll Booth Operator (Former Employee) –  Newburg, MDFebruary 1, 2017
I enjoyed working there with all my co-workers & the police staff that worked right along with us to keep the bridge a safe environment.
Pros
over-time was always available
Cons
working in the very cold weather.
Highly political
Administrator (Current Employee) –  MDDecember 8, 2016
Not a place for career growth. Choose your friends wisely, watch every word you say and trust no one.

Co-workers cannot be trusted, back stabbing and lying is everywhere.

Hardest part of the job is to take it seriously.

The most enjoyable part of the job is leaving it.
Pros
Things rarely ever change
Cons
Poor salary, political games are rampant throughout the organization
Work place environment
police Officer (Current Employee) –  MarylandAugust 15, 2016
Great place to work. Great benefits, diversity, job stability and overall good morale. I would retire and come back as a civilian employee is possible.
Great job
Facility Maintenance Technican (Former Employee) –  Perryville, MDMarch 8, 2016
A average day would be sitting around waiting for it to snow or outside painting roadways or parking lots some people were nice.
Comfortable workplace with a wonderful break room
Toll Collector (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDOctober 6, 2015
A typical day at work was unpredictable, entertaining, and relaxing. My time I spent on the job, I learned how to further demonstrate proper organization skills, as well as, customer service demonstration. The management at my particular facility was not execute in a proper way. For example, there was no communication between supervisors, so at times the days would be heck-tick and unorganized. However, working with my co-workers was a delight. There was a mix of ages, races, genders, and personalities. Everyone got along great. I would say that there was no hard parts of the job. As long as you can keep a steady composure and can do simple math, it's really easy. The most enjoyable part of the job was working alone in your booth. Now I am definitely a people person and enjoy the company and help of others even, but its really relaxing to have your own personal space with just you and the customer.
Pros
Great breaks, free lunch w/ overtime
Cons
Leadership
Procurement Assistant (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDSeptember 22, 2015
Nice place to work. People are friendly and they will help you grow and learn in your environment. The state is always offering new ways to learn in each field.
Nice Place to work.
Bus Operator (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDSeptember 4, 2015
Drive the residence of Maryland around this city was a pleasure.
It was fun going to work everyday. I meet such great people there.
Great company to work for
Administrative Officer III (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJune 27, 2015
I am a part of the EZPass Operations team and the management and co-workers are excellent.
Great mentoring and support from everyone. It is a faced pace busy environment with constant change, so one must be quick to adapt to changes. I loved it.
Pros
great staff, State of MD revenue generating agency.
Cons
bad roads to drive to work
cutting edge technology
Help Desk Engineer (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDApril 3, 2015
Not much to say, the company had acquired cutting edge technology and along side a great management team. All its efforts were directed towards meeting management needs with technology.
Pros
good play to work
Cons
no launches - but great coffee room
Nice place to work, flexible hours, close commute from home to work
Public Affairs Specialist I (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MD 21224February 3, 2015
With this position we inter act with the public all the time, so we have to be knowledgeable with MDTA new projects that we are out to represent and the EZ-Pass Maryland rules and regulations. So we could be traveling anywhere in MD, DC or VA depending on the project. Our department with MDTA is communications, so if I'm in the office most likely I would be answering phones as well as finishing reports, replenishing supplies, looking for new or following up on upcoming events. Although this job is not difficult at all most of the time sometime dealing with the public is. Some of the people we talk to can be very argumentative and unpleasant at times. I do like the fact that my hours and days can be very easy and flexible but unfortunately this is a contractual position and I don't get to enjoy any of the states benefits, so it's hard for me to take off.
Pros
Nice co-worker, close to home, flexible hours.
Cons
No benefits (vacation, sick time, 401K...etc.)
Terrible work enviorment
Toll Collector I - Temporary (Former Employee) –  Annapolis, MDNovember 24, 2014
Days are long
Lack of Advancement
Management let their emotions get the best of them on a daily basis
Hardest part of the job was the distance and management's attitude
Great State Job
REVENUE / TOLL COLLECTOR (Former Employee) –  Annapolis, MDOctober 23, 2014
Collect toll from each vehicle,, tally up your money drawl at the end of the day.
Pros
Great Job with great benifits
Cons
Management treated us like we werent human only a number
Never a dull moment
BUSINESS ANALYST (Former Employee) –  Annapolis, MDOctober 14, 2014
A typical day included constant and consistent change which involved quickly thinking on your feet and planning in advance for potential risks and problems. The work was fascinating and challenging which was most enjoyable along with my co-workers and managers. The most enjoyable part of the job was helping staff achieve their tasks which assisted the organization in accomplishing its goals.
Pros
Challenging and constant change
Cons
A lot of time away from home