Mass Relevance Employee Review

View all Mass Relevance reviews

Stellar Engineers in a Low Stress Environment
Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXJune 26, 2012
I've only been at Mass Relevance for a few months, but it's clear that there's a great team assembled here across all roles.

The Engineering team in particular has some of the brightest minds I've worked with. The efficient workflow is also fantastic, with almost no meetings. General direction is planned out, but if you find things that need to be done, just jump in and tackle them.

The team's managers are also cofounders, and they continue to write code themselves, so they remain very in-tune with the level of effort on Engineering work.

While the team does have lots of work ahead, it's not a high-pressure environment, which is impressive for company this early on.

Overall, it's a fantastic place to work!
Pros
low stress, great benefits

Other Mass Relevance Employee Reviews

We get to solve hard problems with great people.
Software Engineer (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXJuly 9, 2012
As a software engineer here, I get to work on a huge variety of things, from processing 350,000 Tweets/minute via the Twitter Firehose using Cassandra, Scala, Redis and so on to our Rails app to JS visualizations. And we're moving and building fast, so we have learned to scale to millions of requests per minute. Yes, I get to work on things I care about, which is awesome.

The uppers put a lot of trust in you to get your work done and to do it well. You also have to proactive in choosing the problems you want to tackle. So if you're the person that prefers someone to dole out tickets for you to work on, this company may not be the right fit.

The culture is wayyyy fun. Vacation time is really flexible, and we go out as a company every month to do something fun. We've done Franklins BBQ, golf, swimming, volleyball, ping-pong, bowling, going out to bars, and others I've forgotten.
Pros
smart team, hard problems, good food, culture of trust, great vacation policy/culture.
Cons
rapid growth can be concerning.
Awesome team, amazing growth, always busy, always fun!
Senior Designer (Current Employee) –  AustinJuly 2, 2012
After working for a global design consultancy on long projects with corporate clients that usually ended up not making it to market because of corporate engineering red tape, etc.—it's amazing to work at a company, where in any given week, we deliver on what might be tens of projects.

Whether it's sales, dev, design or marketing; we are all on the same team and working towards a common goal, and collaborate closely. We work hard, but we also play hard. Fantastic Fridays give us a chance to relax once a month with a half day offsite, there's constantly a game of ping pong going on in the office, and we have lunch together which is provided in house by our very own startup chef.

We are growing rapidly, both in employees but more so in projects! We are going strong, and we need to hire! That is the ONLY reason for the one four star rating above—instead of 5 straight—but that's NOT a bad thing. Being busy is good, and Mass Relevance is great!
Pros
amazing team, collaborative open environment, free lunches, fun offsites, benefits
Cons
growth is fast, the office can feel packed and loud sometimes, but plans to move are in the works; very fast-paced, flexibility and ability to switch tasks quickly is required