Massachusetts Convention Center Authority Employee Reviews

Wonderful Job For A People Person; Lots of Interaction with the Public
Guest Service Ambassador (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAMay 11, 2017
A typical day at work would start with a team meeting with our manager who would go over the show of the day or the company who would be with us for a day or two or a few days, and what the expectations would be for us when we interacted with their employees and the public attending the show. Always smile and present yourself as engaging and focused on what you are doing. Being in the moment and attentive with the people you are interacting with at the time. Workplace culture was diverse and pleasant. The hardest part of the job sometimes was standing the whole time for possibly 5 to 6 hours, and could be near doors opening and closing on cold winter days.
The most enjoyable part of the job was knowing that you would normally interact with many pleasant people.
Pros
Interaction with pleasant coworkers and the public
Cons
Standing for the whole time you are working
Management Challenges
Manager (Former Employee) –  Boston, MASeptember 28, 2016
Good people, but leadership needs more forward thinking ability. Decent work/life balance and compensation is fair. Good entry level place.
This place is toxic
IT monkey (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAAugust 11, 2016
Have been here at MCCA for 8 years and get great reviews from my boss but ZERO raises . Work-life balance stinks, MCCA forges bad reviews of older employees to get rid of them and there are regular layoffs despite great performance by the company. This place is toxic. LOW PAY!!
Public Safety
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAJuly 26, 2016
Nice place to work enjoy working and meeting guest around the city its a place to work but also serious because the guest depend us the
security team to provide them with excellent customer service and
security details.
Pros
Oportunity to Learn and work hard.
Not a good place to work if you have a young family
Assistant Public Safety Manager (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAMarch 25, 2016
Each day starts with checking my emails around six in the morning to make sure the staffing levels are up to par for the first and second shifts.

The day is really fast paced and sometimes. Senior management have impossible requests that are asked of me to complete at times. There is a disconnect between senior management and the staff below them. There is a lack of communication as a whole.
Pros
Networking, Great people
Cons
Work life balance, Low pay
Exciting Place to work
Public Safety Manager of Security Technology (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAMarch 3, 2016
Innovation and freedom to create new technology and response methods, I learned executive level project management, How to manage large teams and projects,

The most enjoyable part of my job is innovation
It's Ok
Asst. Manager (Current Employee) –  Boston, MANovember 19, 2015
Mgt does not care about your family time.
HR is controlled by Finance so good look having your concerns heard.
All of the higher ups are hacks with no experience but are making tons of money.

Nice!
Pros
Benefits of a state employee.
Cons
Everything else
It is among the largest exhibition centers in Northeastern United States,
Public Safety Officer (Current Employee) –  South Boston MassachusettsOctober 25, 2015
"The BCEC is one of the few convention centers that offers free Wi-Fi service throughout the facility. It is among the largest exhibition centers in Northeastern United States,
Pros
Make your own schedule for part-time.
Cons
When there is no shifts available, hard to work.
Not a fun place to work
Public Safety Officer (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAJuly 7, 2015
If you enjoy being on your feet for 40hrs a week then this is the job for you. If you enjoy wearing a uniform then this is the place for you. If you enjoy wasting your time then this is the job for you. Overall this department is depressing compared to the other deparments in the building.
A typical day at work
Exhibitor Services Associate (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAJune 24, 2014
I work with a team of eight other associates who oversee exhibitor financial accounts; process payments, prepare invoices and issue refunds. I prepare reports at opening and closing of all events to ensure quality control of all event operation services. My main goal is to ensure excellent customer service is provided in an efficient and timely manner to all clients I come in contact with.
Pros
free parking, nice people, holidays off
Cons
low wages
Exciting work place
Public Safety Officer (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAMarch 18, 2014
A typical day at my current job consist of assisting guests and team members. Working at a convention center lets me meet and interact with diverse groups from all over the world. Working with diverse groups of people from all over the world has taught me patience and has taught me many values of customer service. My team members are all hard working and are outstanding representatives for the company. The hardest part of my job is the communication here. The most enjoyable part of my job is meeting and getting to know new people from all the world.
Benefits
Cons
to much money being taken out my check and poor management
Good hard working, low stressed enviorment
Commissay runner (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAFebruary 4, 2014
It is fun to work in a place where everyone is like family. They care and I have many friendships there.
MCCA Public Safety Management Position Review
Public Safety Manager (Former Employee) –  BCEC & Hynes Convention CenterDecember 26, 2013
If you enjoy working long hours and not getting paid for anything over 8 hours, than the MCCA Public Safety Management Position is for you! Plan on putting in 10-12 hour days during the busy period (January to September) and not getting any comp time! You are on call 24/7 and receive no compensation for being on call!! Everyone is out for themselves there is no team effort, and the other managers are quick to stick a knife in your back to make them look better! There are no yearly pay raises you are stuck at entry level pay until a miracle happens and your given a 3% bump....You will be micro managed from day 1! There is a Chief; however, the department is really run by the Director of Facilities Operations, and he is completely out of touch with everything, is completely rude, but because he is politically connected no one does anything about it!! My advice for you..If you can get a job elsewhere...DO IT!!! The MCCA does not reward it's employees, it protects those who are politically connected, and promotes a toxic work environment!
Pros
Free Parking
Cons
Rude Management; No Room for Advancement;
MCCA Review
Public Safety Command Center Officer (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAJune 28, 2013
The Public Safety Department is thorough and efficient moving towards the task at hand on a daily basis. The business and operation is constantly evolving leaving management and supervisors no other option but to adjust and execute against the predicted daily struggles. A new plan is often put in place to accommodate the clients and maintain strong business relationships.
Pros
Benefits. Parking privileges
Cons
Very little room for advancement
Very negative and a little out of touch
Manager (Former Employee) –  Hynes/BCECJuly 6, 2012
Great example of a company I would never work for again. Their pay and benefits were good but not what I would expect from a State Authority. The time spent there was crazy to the point where I was only allowed 17 days off in a 6 month span, and they do not recognize comp time....The rank and file were not treated well either. Probably why they are unionizing. Best to look elsewhere.
comfortable setting with a lot of great mentors around
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAJune 15, 2012
get a daily log and meet/greet with my manager
go to my post

i learned to be precise about timing and getting the job done

managment was great and always gave me advice to become more of a leader

co-workers continued to show their help and support in making me feel comfortable

the hardest part of the job was figuring out zones/post but with time and attention everything became easier

the most enjoyable part of the job is meeting all types of people and important people at that and to be apart of an important respectable job