Massachusetts Department of Public Health Employee Reviews in United States

A place where people share to same aspiration
Intern- Bureau of Family Health and Nutrition (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAApril 19, 2016
Working along with wonderful people who probably stayed up late to finish their work, woke up early to travel to office, yet never fail to smile every single day.
My office provides space for completing tasks and colleagues help with assisting eachother.
Program Coordinator II, Contract Manager (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAFebruary 20, 2015
No day at work is typical. Some days I am out visiting health centers providing quality assurance, technical assistance, fiscal evaluations, along with other on-site tasks. The health centers I manage are spread out throughout the Commonwealth. At my office, I am writing up assessments, responding to inquiries via email, official letters and phone calls. I have learned time management and multi tasking are a vital skill set in a position where there is constant change and additional tasks asked of me.
There are several levels of management at which I report to. It can be difficult when managers give you a directive which often times differs from what has already been asked of me. I coordinate several large cross bureau meetings where there are up to 20 members in a meeting. It can be difficult to complete tasks when there are many members participating in the meeting which results in a lot of processing and not as much action/completion taking place.
My co-workers all have a set of unique skills and we often times work together to provide the most extensive assistance when necessary. (ex IT, Research & Evaluation, Fiscal & Billing, Contract Management etc.)
Pros
i feel a sense of accomplishment after completing specific tasks, health centers follow my recommendations resulting in multiple benefits within the agencies, quality care for patients increases.
Cons
most days i work longer than my scheduled hours, there is not much flexibility with the commuter rail, therefore i am often working and traveling at least 12 hours per day, commuting cost is expensive, and goes up in cost at least once per year.
Limited Perspective
Intern, Department of Epidemiology (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAJanuary 15, 2015
Was just an intern, no real perception of the benefits or pros/cons of working here.
Productive and challenging work environment.
First Line Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Jamaica Plain, MAJuly 26, 2015
A very challenging and personally rewarding service to the people and medical providers throughout the state. Great position for those working as HIV Pre/Post test counseling and entry level epidemiologists.
Pros
Rewarding/humbling
Learning about health regulations
Board of Health Intern (Former Employee) –  Dorchester, MAJune 16, 2015
Worked with the Abington Board of Health official. Learned how to perform housing and food inspections. Worked with the health official to analyze noise problems in the town and ways to address the issue.
Challenging and Rewarding Work.
Healthcare Facility Inspector/Investigator (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAMarch 3, 2015
The most enjoyable part of the job is the autonomy afforded by being a Complaint Surveyor and working independently in the field. It is rewarding to know that you can make a change in the lives of the residents you serve.
Pros
excellent colleagues, very professional
Cons
long days, often with no break
First job
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAApril 16, 2015
Great environment. I liked that they allowed you to go off on your own and if you are having troubles to ask for help. Everyone was friendly.
Pros
Help when needed.
Cons
Not huge company.
Challenging, high job satisfaction, requiring excellent communication
Health Care Facility Inspector (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAOctober 23, 2012
This job was challenging due to the daily travel and the knowledge requirements.There is a very high number of regulations which are constantly changing.The job requires meeting with various health providers and auditing their services. The challenges presented are due to some Providers who do not want to hear about their deficient practices and the specific correction plans that are mandatory.
Pros
meeting people, working in teams plus independantly
Cons
travel by either catamaran or small planes to nantuket or the islands
Sane
SANE (Current Employee) –  Boston, MANovember 24, 2014
I am honored to be a member of the SANE team. There is extensive, ongoing training going on.
High energy, fast paced, excellent work environment
Graduate Student Intern (Current Employee) –  BostonMay 11, 2014
Great work environment, brilliant minds and highly professional people.

Everyone is busy so blending in might not be so easy but it's a small price to pay for the experience.
Pros
friendly workmates
Valuable work experience
Executive Assistant to the Commissioner (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAOctober 3, 2014
Enjoyed working with constituents and supporting the Commissioner
Interesting projects
Bacteriologist (Former Employee) –  Boston MAAugust 15, 2013
We worked in a rotation with different bacteria so it was always interesting. There was an opportunity to learn how to troubleshoot different procedures.
procuctive hard working
IT Consultant/Data Entry Clerk (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAJuly 26, 2012
This position was great. I liked the fact that there was always something to do. I love keeping busy

4.2