Massachusetts Institute of Technology Employee Reviews

It's more than a job; it's an adventure
Administrative Officer (Current Employee) –  Cambridge, MAJanuary 8, 2018
Every day at MIT is different if you pay attention. You are surrounded by some of the smartest humans on the planet and many are so humble and kind (and some are not). The influx of students brings with it a genuine renewal so you have a constant opportunity to meet and learn from different people all the time (if you so desire). I am sure MIT offers more subtle roles but my favorite part of MIT is getting to know everyone and trying to figure out how to make the administration work better so the students and faculty can get onto their important business of changing the world. I would like to think too that my effort over so many years has lent to positive changes in the world.
Pros
college campus/business casual dress - diverse community, bountiful learning opportunities
Cons
inner city campus - housing nearby too expensive, traffic, non-profit/academic salary is lower than industry
productive fun place to work
HVAC Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, MAJanuary 5, 2018
I had a long career at M.I.T and i met a lot of great people over the years.M.I.T
has over 100 buildings on campus and M.I.T employs people from all over the world.
Pros
great benifits
Cons
short breaks
Administrative Assistant
Data Entry Specialist (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAJanuary 3, 2018
Prepared and updated student’s school accounts
and answered phones. Also, provided customer service for national and international students via email.
Cons
Short breaks
Productive and fun workplace
DevOps Engineer Intern (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, MADecember 27, 2017
Typical day would start at my work station and having something to work on which includes checking if programs work and coding. Throughout the intern I learned how to code in python,perl, and bash. I attended daily scrum meetings and presented my work to several managers and other interns. Hardest part of the job was learning something entirely new within the time given but it was still a fun and fruitful experience. The most enjoyable part would be interacting with the employees and managers working there.
Pros
Free lunches, lunch and learns, great managers
disappointed
Administrative Assistant II (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, MADecember 17, 2017
Politics rule, saturated with favoritism, nepotism and bullies. Lower wage staff are not valued, harassment is ignored, backstabbing, bullies win and HR does nothing because they fear litigation.
Bien
Senior Research Support Technician (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, MADecember 5, 2017
I thoroughly enjoyed working here. The opportunities afforded to me were boundless, the people I worked with were diverse both culturally and educationally.
Pros
free lunch monday!
Cons
no OT
Great Place
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, MA 02138November 29, 2017
Excellent company for an entry level person to start their career. They have a wonderful work culture, a massively diverse population of people attending and professors
Pros
Great location
Cons
Tough standards to comply with
Best Thing I Ever Did
Assistant 1 (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, MANovember 27, 2017
This was the best first "real" job I have ever had. The work environment was professional and fun. Meeting people from all over the world was a highlight.
Good place
Sr Application Develope (Current Employee) –  Cambridge, MANovember 25, 2017
Good place to work. Just too much work. The salary is OK But benefits are a little bit expensive. . The commute is difficult. Too much work for each person
Pros
Good chalenges. Not boring
Cons
Too much work
Intense, productive, but you’re disposable
Postdoctoral Associate (Former Employee) –  Middlesex County, MANovember 23, 2017
I worked here as an international scholar. Averaged 70 hours per week and I trained some excellent students. The workplace is hyper-competitive, and this is encouraged top-down to facilitate productivity.

My PI didn’t get tenure and the lab closed, meaning that my visa was invalidated and I had to leave the US. No assistance was given from MIT for reemployment, job searches, or for my obligatory relocation.

This is a good place to work if you have the stamina (high risk of burnout) and have thick skin. Your success here depends almost exclusively on your supervisor. None US citizens (about 50% of scholars there) have the added risk of being thrown out of the country without notice if there is any change to the job.
Pros
Lots of resources to get research done
Cons
No job security
Learned a lot, but oh my god the stress!
Undergraduate Researcher (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, MANovember 18, 2017
Great project, great manager. I learned a ton about programming. I learned a ton about general relativity. It was great to work with someone so inspiring. I had a great time working on this project and discussing it with my friends. That was one of the best parts of college. We could all enjoy each others projects vicariously. But the stress wrecked my sleep and started my health on a down hill slide. Or something did. Years later, what began as a sleep disorder has cascaded into seizures. Can this really all be from stress at MIT?
Pros
Management, learning opportunities
Cons
Potentially stress-related health problems
Hit and Miss
Support Staff (Current Employee) –  Cambridge, MANovember 12, 2017
The team I directly work with is great, but the process to be hired as a full-time permanent employee has been a painful and extremely disrespectful experience
Pros
so much free food, a lot of great people work with
Cons
VERY large egos
Postdoc position
Postdoctoral associate (Current Employee) –  Cambridge, MAOctober 28, 2017
MIT is a great place to do high impact science and it provides lots of possibilities for collaboration and professional growth, at the same time it is very stressful place to work
good job
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAOctober 9, 2017
worked through a contracting agency, temp-to-perm. Unfortunately, as is typical with universities, priorities change and permanent placement was not an option. the environment provided a good foundation which became a stepping stone for my next position.
warm welcoming atmosphere both with personable coworkers and patrons
Lifeguard (Current Employee) –  Cambridge, MAOctober 7, 2017
I love working here. I have never looked forward to going to work as much as I do working at this pool. Both the upper management and my peers are down to earth, but still professional. They do a great job especially with the enormous cutting edge pool they posses and amount of clients they communicate with daily.
Pros
friendly atmosphere
Cons
warm deck (expected)
Big shoes to fill
Administrative Assistant IV (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, MAOctober 4, 2017
This was a challenging job merely based on the sheer number of applicants that were applying for the program, It was very stressful. Very ego-driven.
Pros
satisfying
Cons
lots of stress
I enjoyed every day in all positions I held and never had a problem with peers, supervision or management.
Administrative Assistant II (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, MASeptember 25, 2017
A typical day at any position I had was very busy. Although I previously held HR positions before MIT, there was a difference between manufacturing and education responsibilities. I learned different policies, many based on international employees and students, ex: visa laws and processing. As well, the customs and beliefs of many worldwide. I felt very secure and confident with all managers I supported and had a very good relationship with all. The culture at MIT was very intelligent, interesting, friendly and in most cases relaxed. Hard: balancing my responsibilities, with interruptions to insure I processed all in a timely basis but always did. I enjoyed my job all the time; I love to be busy, very diversified, really enjoyed the students, as well as all I worked with. Research was amazing.
Pros
Ecellent benefits and perks, relaxed and friendly
Cons
Salaries are not as high as companies, etc. made up in benefits
competive, cut-throat
Research Associate (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, MASeptember 20, 2017
I worked for MIT less than a year. Had too many 'bosses' demanding conflicting duties. No chance for advancement, low pay. Did learn a few valuable techniques in genetics however.
Pros
good learning experience
Cons
low pay, no advancement
Interesting
Orthopedic Nurse Practitioner (Current Employee) –  Cambridge, MASeptember 18, 2017
Providing care for some of the world's most brilliant people in a university, research setting. Typical day sees abut 15 patients, reviews diagnostic results (MRI, X-rays, etc), consult with Urgent Care Unit as needed as well as Internal Medicine clinicians.
nice place
floater (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAAugust 29, 2017
i was a temp to hire at the time i was working there an it was nice
to be around good working people. everybody busy an enjoying they part of the job.
Pros
nice place
Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Massachusetts Institute of Technology. Our community is ready to answer.

Massachusetts Institute of Technology Reviews by Location