Massachusetts Institute of Technology Employee Reviews

Challenging and fun
research assistant (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, MAJanuary 26, 2016
Excellent environment to learn technical skills, apply innovation and work under pressure.I learned many technical skills such as operation of spectroscopic equipment, modeling of data, troubleshoot software and electrochemical analysis of various electrodes.The coworkers are so respectful and open minded. They encouraged interns to give new ideas based on science and engineering theories, innovation and solutions to various research projects. The hardest part of the job is to keep up with the workload. The most enjoyable part of the job is to be recognized for your hard work, and to know that the research will cause a difference in the world.
Boring
Lecturer (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAJanuary 19, 2016
Bad place to work. People are weird. Secretaries and teachers are weird and strange. Do not pay enough for all the work you do.
Great colleagues
Postdoctoral Associate (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, MADecember 28, 2015
great place to work for couple of years but not suitable for long run (unless full time faculty) - bursting with activities (educational, professional development and fun) for everyone !
Great health benefits and that's it
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Cambridge, MADecember 9, 2015
Overall, MIT has great health benefits but the organization struggles with inclusive and diverse hiring practices that are reflective of today's generations and communities it serves.
Pros
Health benefits
Cons
Working environment is toxic
Great Employer
Director (Current Employee) –  Cambridge, MADecember 7, 2015
Great employer, good benefits, and plenty of opportunities for growth. However, the commute into Cambridge is dreadful and housing in and around Boston are unattainable.
Productive at working and speaking with customers and handling customers concerns
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, KSNovember 17, 2015
A typical day at work requires for me to be ready and productive at all coast. I will dedicate myself at achieving every aspect within doing what the companies expectation requires. I get to learn from others and lesson to problems that I would like to tackle. The managements very informal on different problems and task that we might have to deal with. This will allow me to pick up the correct process on facing adversities with the daily processes at work. My co workers are great and we help each other to push one another to doing great each day. There can be hard days that come about, put having the correct work attitude and a daily regiment on facing stress can lift you up. The most enjoyable thing about my job would be helping customers receive the best service and find the correct apparel that they need.
Pros
the discounts are very good
Cons
cannot use are discount on new release products
Positive enegrgy, Sale Goals, Inventory control, great customers
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  aldoNovember 14, 2015
Positive work environment. develop better customer service skills Growing as an individual and a business person. hard worker and constantly meeting sale goals
Administrative support
Sr. Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Cambridge, MANovember 3, 2015
Can get very busy and you need to be a good negotiator. Excellent benefits and opportunities. Some areas can be very intense and other offices are great.
Pros
great benefits
Cons
can be very busy.
I worked as a temp of nextSource located at MIT
research associate via nextSource (Current Employee) –  Cambridge, MANovember 2, 2015
I can't review MIT as I was never hired there.
I enjoyed my work and working for my manager. HR was unresponsive to my requests and those of my manager to hire me.
high level science
Research Assistant/PhD Candidate (Current Employee) –  Cambridge, MAOctober 14, 2015
high level science, intensive workload, limited interactions with peers and other students, low pay and no benefits, good technical support
An Amazing Place to Work
Postdoctoral Associate (Current Employee) –  Cambridge, MASeptember 20, 2015
MIT is a top notch place for one to do their postdoctoral research. MIT offers access to world class facilities and an exposure to cutting edge research. One is surrounded by many other highly driven and intelligent researchers who act to push you to be your best self in science and in life. Overall a fun place to work and with a supportive management in the department.
Great place to work!
Systems Implementation & Devops Engineer (Current Employee) –  Cambridge, MASeptember 14, 2015
Working at MIT is a dream. You're constantly challenged with professionals of various backgrounds and expertise who are an inspiring group to work alongside.
An ideal location for an academic scientist...
Research Scientist (Current Employee) –  Cambridge, MASeptember 3, 2015
Working at MIT is a wonderful experience. They are excellent about work/life balance and flexibility. The benefits are fantastic but the compensation is generous but, as expected, will be less than one could make in the private sector.
Job security is always an issue for a research scientist that relies on grants for salary, so it seem the only real job security is through tenure if you are a professor.
For research scientists, the structure is very flat. There are certain "rules" at MIT that only allow a certain number of senior scientists which depends largely on the size of your department. So if you are "capped out" on senior scientists there is really no opportunity for internal advancement. To make it even worse, only senior scientists can be Principle Investigators on new grants.
Overall, if you just want to focus on research it is a wonderful place to work. You get to work with brilliant scientists and students and have all the flexibility, autonomy and balance you need.
Higher Education for a place to stay
Senior Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Cambridge, MAAugust 31, 2015
If you're looking for a place to grow, develop, and stay long-term, MIT is a perfect place for that. You can start from the very beginning and an entry-level position, and work your way up within the office, or transfer to other offices that interest you. Everyone holds the same high values throughout MIT so you know you are working with the best of the best.
Pros
Benefits, time off
Cons
Pay is not always on par with what it should be
Excellent place for good research
Postdoctoral Research Fellow (Current Employee) –  Cambridge, MAJuly 29, 2015
Excellent core facilities and collaboration possibilities. Great talks to attend constantly. Adjustable working hours, pleasant co-workers. Ability to attend great conferences to present your data. Good supervision and mentoring.
Pros
Adjustable hours
Good
Administrative Assistant II (Current Employee) –  Cambridge, MAJuly 20, 2015
It was nice working with professor's. They were very professional and courteous. Because they had high expectations, I had high expectations. I also got a chance to work their research groups and students.
A very good computational biology program
Doctoral Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Cambridge, MAJune 23, 2015
The course requirements in CSB graduate program is very flexible. The course 6 classes are very helpful in general. The whitehead institute is a good place to work.
Nice place to be in
Research Associate (Current Employee) –  Cambridge, MAJune 11, 2015
Most of the days I worked at MIT were full of new challenges, sessions of brainstorming to look for newer approaches to solve them as well as anxiety and excitement to see if your idea has worked. In the process, I learned, not only to practise independent research, but also to think, design, execute, analyze and present academically/industrially relevant projects. Apart from being extremely demanding both physically and mentally, the hardest part of the job was to overcome the frustration of any experimental result that did not work the way you thought. Also the most satisfying part was the excitement and joy that comes along when you find something novel. In addition, I would also cherish the transformation through the newly developed inclination to think along the lines of the applied aspect my work.
Pros
Heaven for learning
Cons
No provision for hostel accommodation
positive academic atmosphere
o Section Head, Libraries' Acquisitions Department (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, MAJune 3, 2015
The atmosphere at MIT has changed in recent years. It's still an enlightened and humane place to work, and it's trying to balance that philosophy with the demands of the current work and economic climate.
Pros
very positive academic environment; brilliant students & faculty
Cons
pressure at times for MIT to adhere to corporate practices rather than academic
Excellent place to work.
Senior Financial Analyst (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, MAMay 12, 2015
Excellent place to work. Great corporate culture. Management is quite good. Co-workers and staff are collaborative. No complaints at all.

4.2