Massachusetts Institute of Technology Employee Reviews

MIT: Intellectually Challenging Workplace Where It Really IS Rocket Science!
Director of Communications & Outreach (Current Employee) –  Cambridge, MAJuly 27, 2012
The culture at MIT is one of constant improvement and innovation; in that respect it reflects the profession of engineering in general. At MIT, I work with incredibly smart, driven people who--while they may not be the most adept at interpersonal skills--more than make up for this deficit with their commitment to collaborate and work productively in teams.

As a professional communicator, the biggest challenge I face is earning respect for the important role of outreach, dissemination, "marketing" (a word we don't use here!), and public relations.

To address that challenge, I demonstrate my value every day: Whether it's delivering high quality collateral, for print or online, on time, on budget, and to specification, or sharing quantifiable analytics (website visitation, for example).
Pros
smart, motivated students and co-workers; challenging work; relatively relaxed culture; excellent benefits
Productive at working and speaking with customers and handling customers concerns
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, KSNovember 17, 2015
A typical day at work requires for me to be ready and productive at all coast. I will dedicate myself at achieving every aspect within doing what the companies expectation requires. I get to learn from others and lesson to problems that I would like to tackle. The managements very informal on different problems and task that we might have to deal with. This will allow me to pick up the correct process on facing adversities with the daily processes at work. My co workers are great and we help each other to push one another to doing great each day. There can be hard days that come about, put having the correct work attitude and a daily regiment on facing stress can lift you up. The most enjoyable thing about my job would be helping customers receive the best service and find the correct apparel that they need.
Pros
the discounts are very good
Cons
cannot use are discount on new release products
An ideal location for an academic scientist...
Research Scientist (Current Employee) –  Cambridge, MASeptember 3, 2015
Working at MIT is a wonderful experience. They are excellent about work/life balance and flexibility. The benefits are fantastic but the compensation is generous but, as expected, will be less than one could make in the private sector.
Job security is always an issue for a research scientist that relies on grants for salary, so it seem the only real job security is through tenure if you are a professor.
For research scientists, the structure is very flat. There are certain "rules" at MIT that only allow a certain number of senior scientists which depends largely on the size of your department. So if you are "capped out" on senior scientists there is really no opportunity for internal advancement. To make it even worse, only senior scientists can be Principle Investigators on new grants.
Overall, if you just want to focus on research it is a wonderful place to work. You get to work with brilliant scientists and students and have all the flexibility, autonomy and balance you need.
Nice place to be in
Research Associate (Current Employee) –  Cambridge, MAJune 11, 2015
Most of the days I worked at MIT were full of new challenges, sessions of brainstorming to look for newer approaches to solve them as well as anxiety and excitement to see if your idea has worked. In the process, I learned, not only to practise independent research, but also to think, design, execute, analyze and present academically/industrially relevant projects. Apart from being extremely demanding both physically and mentally, the hardest part of the job was to overcome the frustration of any experimental result that did not work the way you thought. Also the most satisfying part was the excitement and joy that comes along when you find something novel. In addition, I would also cherish the transformation through the newly developed inclination to think along the lines of the applied aspect my work.
Pros
Heaven for learning
Cons
No provision for hostel accommodation
Good education
Ph.D. Research-MIT Biology Program (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, MAOctober 22, 2013
PhD at MIT in Biology is great education for an academic career. Many resources are in place to transition to industry as well. The situation is very lab-dependent. Choose a lab carefully. The Biology Dept. is very supportive to its PhD candidates as a whole and once accepted the program is geared to assist you as much as possible toward having a healthy and strong experience. There are many friendly faculty members, all very ambitious and require a lot of hard work. You will be humbled, but you will come out a much better scientist. Again, choose a professor you communicate well with. Do not just choose based on research. So much of the learning process occurs depending on the atmosphere of the specific laboratory.
Pros
excellent education
Cons
requires self-motivation, can be frustrating and requires extreme passion and endurance
Nice people, great hours, supportive environment
Financial Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Cambridge, MASeptember 22, 2013
Typical day at work
Reconcile expenses, review personnel info, manage core facilities charges, crate budgets, forecasts
What you learned: accounting.
Management: my manager is the best manager I ever had. She knows everything, and is willing to listen to my opinion/suggestions, and gives me a chance to work on my own.
Co-workers: my co-workers are very nice people. It's pleasant to come to work everyday and see them.
Hardest part: sometime it can get busy (but not too overwhelming)
Most enjoyable part: I like to work with numbers, and I like to fix things, and to know that everything is in order, when I achieve it, I'm happy!
Overall this Lab is the nicest place I've ever worked.
Temp Position is what you'd expect
Financial Assistant I, (Current Employee) –  Cambridge, MAJanuary 22, 2014
I'm am at MIT for a 6 month temp position as a Financial Assistant. Work tasks are sometimes menial. Mostly work with excel spreadsheets to do budgets. Work is quiet and dull and most coworkers are women ages 40-60, so things aren't exactly upbeat, but they love to talk about office drama. This is a job you take to make money and gain experience while you look for something more fulfilling and/or permanent. For a temp position though, $23 is as good a rate as you'll find per hour and my boss is incredibly cool.
Pros
good pay, not strict about time as long as you work 40 hours
Cons
boring, temporary, tedious
Very Diverse place to work at many interesting cultures
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, MAFebruary 10, 2014
The most enjoyable part of the job was interacting with the students and helping them with every aspect of school, personal and thesis prep.

One of the hardest parts of the job was the commute.

I worked with the greatest co-workers anyone could ask for they were always willing to help out on any given day.

I started at MIT at the age of 18. So I have to say all my skills and experience was learned during the 21 years spent at MIT. They were very hands on and offered numerous computer/web classes to further yourself.
Pros
friends, experience, interaction with people from all over the world, great benefits
Cons
just the commute
Telecom/Network Specialist
Telecom/Network Specialist (Former Employee) –  Lexington MaOctober 19, 2012
Worked as a team member on the Communications Infrastructure Upgrade Project that replaced all MIT Lincoln Lab existing wiring with new High Speed Single and Multi mode fiber optic cable.
Recent experience has afforded me with the occasion to oversee the Leaf Laser Fiber Optic GlowNet project from MIT Campus to Millstone Radar in Westford.
Worked for MIT Lincoln Lab Group 65 with Terabyte speed laser test installation.
Installed fiber optic wiring at the MIT Millstone Radar for the Air Force Space Command multi-array BossNet project.
Worked with KG-194, STE, STU and L3 secure systems.
Worked with Verizon, Rotman Electrical, Quest and Cheyenne Mountain S.A.C.
Interfaced with Security Department for contractors and vendors needing access to secure areas.
Love (most of ) the students !
Instructor (Current Employee) –  CambridgeJuly 11, 2012
No chance of advancement if you are technical. I spoke with HR about and they told me that the track is a dead end. If you are an administrator and don't kill anyone you will advance. Medical "benifits " for a family cost $700 a month, now with a $10 per visit copay. Yes you pay for perscriptions Parking permit at work is over $1000 a year , no you are not guaranteed a parking spot.

Each department is indepenent. Some treat employees better than others.

Come get some experience and move on.
Pros
kind of steady
Cons
expensive place to work
Loved the faculty and students, but a few bad apples...
Director, Office of Student Citizenship (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, MASeptember 19, 2013
This was very interesting work and required partnering with amazing people across the Institute. Everything my staff and I did had direct impact on people, and I learned so much about the different cultures that make up a complex organization. I would have loved this job except for a few people who, after 2 years, were clearly never going to change or understand the work being done. This limited what I was able to accomplish, hurt the work of the office, and directly limited the offerings to the larger community.
Pros
amazing students, faculty, and colleagues
Cons
management.
Challenging and fun
research assistant (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, MAJanuary 26, 2016
Excellent environment to learn technical skills, apply innovation and work under pressure.I learned many technical skills such as operation of spectroscopic equipment, modeling of data, troubleshoot software and electrochemical analysis of various electrodes.The coworkers are so respectful and open minded. They encouraged interns to give new ideas based on science and engineering theories, innovation and solutions to various research projects. The hardest part of the job is to keep up with the workload. The most enjoyable part of the job is to be recognized for your hard work, and to know that the research will cause a difference in the world.
Amazing university with excellent communication.
Video Editor/Consultant (Current Employee) –  Boston, MADecember 18, 2014
Working remotely, I am able to produce a lot of great content with my Producer at any location. Flexibility is remarkable and I work on a per project basis. The difficult side of this job is that, aside from excellent communication, most of it is entirely email or phone based which can get tricky with video editing when finalizing a product. The most satisfying reward is always with the production value of the content produced, and knowing I have a contributing hand in the success of a high profile university to some degree.
19th century culture - surfs please apply here
Unavailable (Current Employee) –  Cambridge, MAAugust 2, 2013
Job security is good, those who can leave do so as quickly as possible; so there is always hiring.

Salary is middle to low and you are unlikely to see any significant increase.
Advancement is minimal, managers and senior staff are on the whole middle aged and up - clinging on to get that pension (a good benefit although don't expect to see it if your in your 20s, and really I'd rather have the cash to invest.)
Work life balance is non-existent.
Pros
job security
Cons
see below
Productive and Inspiring Work Place
Postdoctoral Research Associate (Current Employee) –  Cambridge, MAMay 6, 2013
MIT is an excellent workplace. A typical day is very challenging often, productive and collaborative. Learnt a lot of new techniques and new instrument operations. Being a safety office in the lab, I have learnt and been responsible for quite a lot about safety issues in lab environment. Co-workers here are extremely helpful and always looking for collaboration which increases productivity indeed. The hardest part is to live up to the expectations of the huge pharma company collaboration. The most enjoyable part is the challenges that I am faced with everyday.
Productive and diverse place to work
Office Assistant (temporary) (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, MAFebruary 19, 2013
Filing scholarly journal articles, faxing, copying and mailing documents and maintaining an organized office. I enjoyed working here because the people were helpful and friendly. I enjoyed filing because I sometimes paused to read the abstracts and therefore learned a lot about the research that was being conducted by the principal investigator. I was introduced to the scholarly journal, PNAS. This exposed me to a wonderful resource for scientific research. The hardest part of the job was that is was only temporary; I wish the administrative assistant whom I was filling in for needed a personal assistant!
Pros
working at an academic and scientific institution; friendly and helpful people
Higher Education for a place to stay
Senior Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Cambridge, MAAugust 31, 2015
If you're looking for a place to grow, develop, and stay long-term, MIT is a perfect place for that. You can start from the very beginning and an entry-level position, and work your way up within the office, or transfer to other offices that interest you. Everyone holds the same high values throughout MIT so you know you are working with the best of the best.
Pros
Benefits, time off
Cons
Pay is not always on par with what it should be
Efficient high performing and collaborative working environment
Contract Administrator (18 month Term Position) (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, MAJune 5, 2013
A typical work day at MIT-OSP is fast paced, deadline driven, and consistently challenging. There is significant variety in the workload, in terms of the sponsors types, agreement/contract negotiations, awards, and questions/concerns from the departments/laboratories/centers.

Staff are very busy with their own portfolios, but try to maintain a friendly and collaborative working environment.

Management are supportive and provide professional development opportunities to their staff.
Pros
work life balance
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, MAMay 10, 2013
I enjoyed working at MIT as an administrative assistant in one of the departments. The professors that I supported were nurturing and kind. They placed a high value on training and development so I was able to get a lot of exposure to various areas of the department and their research. They included me in as much as possible to assist me in learning what they did so that I could best support them. I wouldn't hesitate to return to work there.
World-class research institute
Postdoctoral Associate (Current Employee) –  Cambridge, MAOctober 23, 2012
Gain a lot of experience! good atmosphere....good co workers...lack of excessive pressure.....good and neat surroundings everywhere.. good facilities.. personnel space available..
Pros
good research environment, good weather, good teacher, many good seminar around. it is a great place to obtain the newest research information
Cons
not much of any cons, but it there had to be one compensation could always be better

4.2