Massachusetts Institute of Technology Employee Reviews in United States

Dysfunctional and poorly led administration
Director, Customer Support (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, MAJune 7, 2016
Years ago, MIT was a great place to work. Over my many years there, I watched it steadily decline as new poorly skilled and either military or corporate minded leadership was brought in. By the time I left, it had become a very dysfunctional place in which bullying, public verbal abuse, misrepresentation of data, lack of communication and transparency, and hiding behind consultant reports and buzzwords had become the norm.
Pros
Brilliant students and faculty; wonderful campus
Cons
All the rest
Good place to start off.
Financial Analyst (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, MAJune 13, 2016
I worked in Koch Institute, A Typical day here is going through emails see if any needs immediate attention. If not, then going through daily financial reviews and filing.

Everyone here is friendly. Benefits are pretty good. Especially the tuition reimbursement.

Not much room to grow depending on where you work.
Pros
Friendly environment
Cons
Not much Growth unless you move around in the system.
A good work environment
Laboratory Aide in Professor Timothy K Lu's (Current Employee) –  Cambridge, MAMay 3, 2016
It was good honest work, the people were professional and personable. A typical day at work for me was fast paced, repetitive, yet simple it was enjoyable and an easy learning curve. The management typically left me to my work unless there was a problem which wasn't bad but I didn't get to know my managers very well.
Pros
Good environmeent, good people, and plenty of restaraunts near by
Cons
Monotonous
New Challenges Every day.
Educational Technologist (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAApril 14, 2016
MIT has an interesting blend of workers and researchers across its institution. It seems that departments can vary wildly in terms of culture and scope. What happens on one end of campus can be very different in comparison to the other end.

At the Office of Digital Learning, I took on a role as one of the first 10 in a fledgling department. This requires me to be a bit of a jack of all trades, and each day entails something new.
Amazing culture, great benefits but not so much in career support.
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, MAMarch 29, 2016
Worked there for many many years - loved the Institute like family. Amazing research - amazing students. I found however that the work load was a bit crazy at times and management didn't always have the staffs best interest in terms of advancement - work life balance.
I loved it here
Installer/Project Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, MAMarch 27, 2016
I was given the opportunity to work at the M.I.T. Museum for a temp position and had a great time. A job similar to this is what i would ultimately like to do fulltime. Unfortunately i was only guaranteed work for a few months and had to take on a fulltime job elsewhere, otherwise i wouldve loved to work at M.I.T. permanently.
Exciting brilliant intelligent folks
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, MAJuly 26, 2016
Worked in a great group with a professor I worked with years ago, his team was young and brilliant. Loved the folks there. Just no room for advancement. Each admin basically worked in silo
Pros
close to home at time
Cons
low pay
Challenging and fun
research assistant (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, MAJanuary 26, 2016
Excellent environment to learn technical skills, apply innovation and work under pressure.I learned many technical skills such as operation of spectroscopic equipment, modeling of data, troubleshoot software and electrochemical analysis of various electrodes.The coworkers are so respectful and open minded. They encouraged interns to give new ideas based on science and engineering theories, innovation and solutions to various research projects. The hardest part of the job is to keep up with the workload. The most enjoyable part of the job is to be recognized for your hard work, and to know that the research will cause a difference in the world.
tough schedule
Control Room Operator (Current Employee) –  Cambridge, MAMay 20, 2016
If you can take working weekends and are motivated to learn its a great job. Complicated plant and not enough training. Co-workers can be hard to break through to.
Pros
great benefits, good pay
Cons
schedule not conducive to family/social life
Nice place to work
Sr. Java/Spring/UI Developer (Current Employee) –  Cambridge, MAMarch 11, 2016
Nice place to work. Flexible hours. Good and friendly project managers. Convenient parking locations. lunch n learn sessions. Good co-workers. thats all for now I dont recollect more points.
Pros
Nice work environment
Cons
Productive and fin place to work
Graduate Intern (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, MAMay 30, 2016
There are endless opportunities available. there is opportunity to be creative and innovative to achieve every goal.
Perfect place to carry out research
Research Associate position (ongoing) (Current Employee) –  Cambridge, MAFebruary 20, 2016
Massachusetts Institute of Technology is a great work environment for researchers and young scientists who wish to start their career.
productive
Student Life Personnel, Department of Student Life (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, MAFebruary 3, 2016
very welcoming, human centered. A warm environment. the way they interact and give a chance to every single employee is one that needs to be emulated by all employers.
Great health benefits and that's it
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Cambridge, MADecember 9, 2015
Overall, MIT has great health benefits but the organization struggles with inclusive and diverse hiring practices that are reflective of today's generations and communities it serves.
Pros
Health benefits
Cons
Working environment is toxic
Productive at working and speaking with customers and handling customers concerns
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, KSNovember 17, 2015
A typical day at work requires for me to be ready and productive at all coast. I will dedicate myself at achieving every aspect within doing what the companies expectation requires. I get to learn from others and lesson to problems that I would like to tackle. The managements very informal on different problems and task that we might have to deal with. This will allow me to pick up the correct process on facing adversities with the daily processes at work. My co workers are great and we help each other to push one another to doing great each day. There can be hard days that come about, put having the correct work attitude and a daily regiment on facing stress can lift you up. The most enjoyable thing about my job would be helping customers receive the best service and find the correct apparel that they need.
Pros
the discounts are very good
Cons
cannot use are discount on new release products
Great colleagues
Postdoctoral Associate (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, MADecember 28, 2015
great place to work for couple of years but not suitable for long run (unless full time faculty) - bursting with activities (educational, professional development and fun) for everyone !
An Amazing Place to Work
Postdoctoral Associate (Current Employee) –  Cambridge, MASeptember 20, 2015
MIT is a top notch place for one to do their postdoctoral research. MIT offers access to world class facilities and an exposure to cutting edge research. One is surrounded by many other highly driven and intelligent researchers who act to push you to be your best self in science and in life. Overall a fun place to work and with a supportive management in the department.
Higher Education for a place to stay
Senior Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Cambridge, MAAugust 31, 2015
If you're looking for a place to grow, develop, and stay long-term, MIT is a perfect place for that. You can start from the very beginning and an entry-level position, and work your way up within the office, or transfer to other offices that interest you. Everyone holds the same high values throughout MIT so you know you are working with the best of the best.
Pros
Benefits, time off
Cons
Pay is not always on par with what it should be
Positive enegrgy, Sale Goals, Inventory control, great customers
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  aldoNovember 14, 2015
Positive work environment. develop better customer service skills Growing as an individual and a business person. hard worker and constantly meeting sale goals
Great Employer
Director (Current Employee) –  Cambridge, MADecember 7, 2015
Great employer, good benefits, and plenty of opportunities for growth. However, the commute into Cambridge is dreadful and housing in and around Boston are unattainable.

Massachusetts Institute of Technology Reviews by Location