Massachusetts Institute of Technology Employee Reviews in United States

tough schedule
Control Room Operator (Current Employee) –  Cambridge, MAMay 20, 2016
If you can take working weekends and are motivated to learn its a great job. Complicated plant and not enough training. Co-workers can be hard to break through to.
Pros
great benefits, good pay
Cons
schedule not conducive to family/social life
A good work environment
Laboratory Aide in Professor Timothy K Lu's (Current Employee) –  Cambridge, MAMay 3, 2016
It was good honest work, the people were professional and personable. A typical day at work for me was fast paced, repetitive, yet simple it was enjoyable and an easy learning curve. The management typically left me to my work unless there was a problem which wasn't bad but I didn't get to know my managers very well.
Pros
Good environmeent, good people, and plenty of restaraunts near by
Cons
Monotonous
New Challenges Every day.
Educational Technologist (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAApril 14, 2016
MIT has an interesting blend of workers and researchers across its institution. It seems that departments can vary wildly in terms of culture and scope. What happens on one end of campus can be very different in comparison to the other end.

At the Office of Digital Learning, I took on a role as one of the first 10 in a fledgling department. This requires me to be a bit of a jack of all trades, and each day entails something new.
Amazing culture, great benefits but not so much in career support.
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, MAMarch 29, 2016
Worked there for many many years - loved the Institute like family. Amazing research - amazing students. I found however that the work load was a bit crazy at times and management didn't always have the staffs best interest in terms of advancement - work life balance.
I loved it here
Installer/Project Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, MAMarch 27, 2016
I was given the opportunity to work at the M.I.T. Museum for a temp position and had a great time. A job similar to this is what i would ultimately like to do fulltime. Unfortunately i was only guaranteed work for a few months and had to take on a fulltime job elsewhere, otherwise i wouldve loved to work at M.I.T. permanently.
Nice place to work
Sr. Java/Spring/UI Developer (Current Employee) –  Cambridge, MAMarch 11, 2016
Nice place to work. Flexible hours. Good and friendly project managers. Convenient parking locations. lunch n learn sessions. Good co-workers. thats all for now I dont recollect more points.
Pros
Nice work environment
Cons
Perfect place to carry out research
Research Associate position (ongoing) (Current Employee) –  Cambridge, MAFebruary 20, 2016
Massachusetts Institute of Technology is a great work environment for researchers and young scientists who wish to start their career.
productive
Student Life Personnel, Department of Student Life (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, MAFebruary 3, 2016
very welcoming, human centered. A warm environment. the way they interact and give a chance to every single employee is one that needs to be emulated by all employers.
Challenging and fun
research assistant (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, MAJanuary 26, 2016
Excellent environment to learn technical skills, apply innovation and work under pressure.I learned many technical skills such as operation of spectroscopic equipment, modeling of data, troubleshoot software and electrochemical analysis of various electrodes.The coworkers are so respectful and open minded. They encouraged interns to give new ideas based on science and engineering theories, innovation and solutions to various research projects. The hardest part of the job is to keep up with the workload. The most enjoyable part of the job is to be recognized for your hard work, and to know that the research will cause a difference in the world.
Boring
Lecturer (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAJanuary 19, 2016
Bad place to work. People are weird. Secretaries and teachers are weird and strange. Do not pay enough for all the work you do.
Great colleagues
Postdoctoral Associate (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, MADecember 28, 2015
great place to work for couple of years but not suitable for long run (unless full time faculty) - bursting with activities (educational, professional development and fun) for everyone !
Great health benefits and that's it
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Cambridge, MADecember 9, 2015
Overall, MIT has great health benefits but the organization struggles with inclusive and diverse hiring practices that are reflective of today's generations and communities it serves.
Pros
Health benefits
Cons
Working environment is toxic
Great Employer
Director (Current Employee) –  Cambridge, MADecember 7, 2015
Great employer, good benefits, and plenty of opportunities for growth. However, the commute into Cambridge is dreadful and housing in and around Boston are unattainable.
Productive at working and speaking with customers and handling customers concerns
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, KSNovember 17, 2015
A typical day at work requires for me to be ready and productive at all coast. I will dedicate myself at achieving every aspect within doing what the companies expectation requires. I get to learn from others and lesson to problems that I would like to tackle. The managements very informal on different problems and task that we might have to deal with. This will allow me to pick up the correct process on facing adversities with the daily processes at work. My co workers are great and we help each other to push one another to doing great each day. There can be hard days that come about, put having the correct work attitude and a daily regiment on facing stress can lift you up. The most enjoyable thing about my job would be helping customers receive the best service and find the correct apparel that they need.
Pros
the discounts are very good
Cons
cannot use are discount on new release products
Positive enegrgy, Sale Goals, Inventory control, great customers
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  aldoNovember 14, 2015
Positive work environment. develop better customer service skills Growing as an individual and a business person. hard worker and constantly meeting sale goals
Administrative support
Sr. Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Cambridge, MANovember 3, 2015
Can get very busy and you need to be a good negotiator. Excellent benefits and opportunities. Some areas can be very intense and other offices are great.
Pros
great benefits
Cons
can be very busy.
I worked as a temp of nextSource located at MIT
research associate via nextSource (Current Employee) –  Cambridge, MANovember 2, 2015
I can't review MIT as I was never hired there.
I enjoyed my work and working for my manager. HR was unresponsive to my requests and those of my manager to hire me.
high level science
Research Assistant/PhD Candidate (Current Employee) –  Cambridge, MAOctober 14, 2015
high level science, intensive workload, limited interactions with peers and other students, low pay and no benefits, good technical support
An Amazing Place to Work
Postdoctoral Associate (Current Employee) –  Cambridge, MASeptember 20, 2015
MIT is a top notch place for one to do their postdoctoral research. MIT offers access to world class facilities and an exposure to cutting edge research. One is surrounded by many other highly driven and intelligent researchers who act to push you to be your best self in science and in life. Overall a fun place to work and with a supportive management in the department.
Great place to work!
Systems Implementation & Devops Engineer (Current Employee) –  Cambridge, MASeptember 14, 2015
Working at MIT is a dream. You're constantly challenged with professionals of various backgrounds and expertise who are an inspiring group to work alongside.

4.2