Massachusetts Institute of Technology

Massachusetts Institute of Technology Employer Reviews

Would never recommend any sane person to work @ MIT!
M.I.T.Office of the Registrar - Coordinator (Former Employee), Cambridge, MAMarch 29, 2014
Pros: none!
Cons: refer to my review, and too many more to list.
MIT is by far the worst employer I have worked for. You are a "nobody" there unless you kiss serious butt! That's no bull. They lie to you, keep you in the dark, and are so uncaring about their employees. I for one, am so glad that I was laid-off!
Productive and fun place to work
Assistant Librarian; Retail (2000-2001) (Former Employee), Cambridge, MA (for both jobs)March 6, 2014
Good environment to interact with the public in a professional (library, bookstore) capacity
It is a great experience for growing in terms of knowledge but it is difficult to balance life and jobs
Postdoctoral Associate (Current Employee), Boston, MAFebruary 25, 2014
Great place.
Systems Engineering Intern (Former Employee), Cambridge, MAFebruary 24, 2014
Very technical. Very knowledgeable staff and competitive pay.
Productive under high pressure
Undergraduate Instructor (Former Employee), Cambridge, MAFebruary 23, 2014
Chanllenging and very helpful for me to enhance my teaching skills.
great
Office Assistant (Former Employee), Boston, MAFebruary 19, 2014
Great people to work with
Very Diverse place to work at many interesting cultures
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Cambridge, MAFebruary 10, 2014
Pros: friends, experience, interaction with people from all over the world, great benefits
Cons: just the commute
The most enjoyable part of the job was interacting with the students and helping them with every aspect of school, personal and thesis prep.

One of the hardest parts of the job was the commute.

I worked with the greatest co-workers anyone could ask for they were always willing to help out on any given day.

I started at MIT at the age of 18. So I – more... have to say all my skills and experience was learned during the 21 years spent at MIT. They were very hands on and offered numerous computer/web classes to further yourself. – less
Good place to work.
Engineer (Current Employee), Cambridge, MAFebruary 9, 2014
Pros: good benfits
Cons: long work hours
You can learn a lot. There are a lot of options to move to different departments.
Fun people to work with you learn alot
Mail Specialist (Former Employee), lexington, MAJanuary 27, 2014
Good place to work, a lot of walking is required. You learn how to do all portions of the mail
Temp Position is what you'd expect
Financial Assistant I, (Current Employee), Cambridge, MAJanuary 22, 2014
Pros: good pay, not strict about time as long as you work 40 hours
Cons: boring, temporary, tedious
I'm am at MIT for a 6 month temp position as a Financial Assistant. Work tasks are sometimes menial. Mostly work with excel spreadsheets to do budgets. Work is quiet and dull and most coworkers are women ages 40-60, so things aren't exactly upbeat, but they love to talk about office drama. This is a job you take to make money and gain experience while – more... you look for something more fulfilling and/or permanent. For a temp position though, $23 is as good a rate as you'll find per hour and my boss is incredibly cool. – less
Good times and experiences were different
Custodian (Former Employee), Cambridge, MAJanuary 10, 2014
the co-workers were fun to be around and the atmosphere was great. the management on the other hand i felt like they had a black cloud over them a lot but i managed to deal with it.
Postdoc
Postdoctoral associate (Former Employee), cambridge, maDecember 25, 2013
• Synthesized novel compounds that damage DNA, used for the treatment of cancer and infectious diseases; Developed alternate synthetic methods for maximizing yield.
• Synthesized nucleic acid-genotoxin adducts.
• Performed synthesis of radiolabelled compounds.
Great place to work.
Event Coordinator (Current Employee), Cambridge, MANovember 18, 2013
Very inspiring to work with the faculty and students at this institution.
a place that can teach you more than textbooks
Research Assistant (Former Employee), Cambridge, MANovember 13, 2013
always inspired by talent people, cool ideas and cutting-edge technology every day. fast pace life.
very nice place to work and good people
HVAC Technician (Current Employee), Cambridge, MANovember 8, 2013
doing hvac call all kinds of equipment
the campus is huge
the people that work there all have 20+
Big dissapointment
Accountant (Current Employee), CambridgeNovember 6, 2013
Pros: stability
Cons: outdated equipment
I'm a current "back office" employee. We work on a very outdated equipment - I have 15" monitor. We just heard today from management that we cant wear headphones (some of us like to listen to music) during work hours. Flexible work hours, that MIT proudly advertises- just a theory... wont get approved. Big dissapointment.
Good education
Ph.D. Research-MIT Biology Program (Former Employee), Cambridge, MAOctober 22, 2013
Pros: excellent education
Cons: requires self-motivation, can be frustrating and requires extreme passion and endurance
PhD at MIT in Biology is great education for an academic career. Many resources are in place to transition to industry as well. The situation is very lab-dependent. Choose a lab carefully. The Biology Dept. is very supportive to its PhD candidates as a whole and once accepted the program is geared to assist you as much as possible toward having a healthy – more... and strong experience. There are many friendly faculty members, all very ambitious and require a lot of hard work. You will be humbled, but you will come out a much better scientist. Again, choose a professor you communicate well with. Do not just choose based on research. So much of the learning process occurs depending on the atmosphere of the specific laboratory. – less
One year contract
iHouse Program Coordinator (Former Employee), Cambridge, MASeptember 23, 2013
Pros: experience
Cons: parking, short term contract
Exactly what you'd expect from a one year adjunct contract. Parking is a pain.
surrounded by smart and hard-working people
Postdoctoral Associate (Current Employee), Cambridge, MASeptember 22, 2013
People here are not only extremely brilliant but also work really hard. Postdocs work during both weekdays and weekends.
Nice people, great hours, supportive environment
Financial Coordinator (Current Employee), Cambridge, MASeptember 22, 2013
Typical day at work
Reconcile expenses, review personnel info, manage core facilities charges, crate budgets, forecasts
What you learned: accounting.
Management: my manager is the best manager I ever had. She knows everything, and is willing to listen to my opinion/suggestions, and gives me a chance to work on my own.
Co-workers: my co-workers are very – more... nice people. It's pleasant to come to work everyday and see them.
Hardest part: sometime it can get busy (but not too overwhelming)
Most enjoyable part: I like to work with numbers, and I like to fix things, and to know that everything is in order, when I achieve it, I'm happy!
Overall this Lab is the nicest place I've ever worked. – less