Massachusetts Institute of Technology

Massachusetts Institute of Technology United States Employee Reviews

Nice people, great hours, supportive environment
Financial Coordinator (Current Employee), Cambridge, MASeptember 22, 2013
Typical day at work
Reconcile expenses, review personnel info, manage core facilities charges, crate budgets, forecasts
What you learned: accounting.
Management: my manager is the best manager I ever had. She knows everything, and is willing to listen to my opinion/suggestions, and gives me a chance to work on my own.
Co-workers: my co-workers are very nice people. It's pleasant to come to work everyday and see them.
Hardest part: sometime it can get busy (but not too overwhelming)
Most enjoyable part: I like to work with numbers, and I like to fix things, and to know that everything is in order, when I achieve it, I'm happy!
Overall this Lab is the nicest place I've ever worked.
Loved the faculty and students, but a few bad apples...
Director, Office of Student Citizenship (Former Employee), Cambridge, MASeptember 19, 2013
Pros: amazing students, faculty, and colleagues
Cons: management.
This was very interesting work and required partnering with amazing people across the Institute. Everything my staff and I did had direct impact on people, and I learned so much about the different cultures that make up a complex organization. I would have loved this job except for a few people who, after 2 years, were clearly never going to change or understand the work being done. This limited what I was able to accomplish, hurt the work of the office, and directly limited the offerings to the larger community.
Adviser (Former Employee), Cambridge, MASeptember 17, 2013
Good place to work. Smart people. Good benefits package. Room for growth.
Great university
Research Assistant (Former Employee), Cambridge, MASeptember 15, 2013
Leader in everything tech. Brightest and the best. Good place to work.
Staff Accountant (Former Employee), Boston, MAAugust 27, 2013
Great institution. Training and development encouraged. Good benefits
Greatness is expected
Student Researcher (Former Employee), Cambridge, MAAugust 17, 2013
I was expected to be the best, and this expectation help fuel me.
a
Research Assistant (Former Employee), Cambridge, MAAugust 14, 2013
The Pavilion at McLean is wonderful and played a key role in diagnosing my brother with Type 1 Diabetes and mental issues. Dr. Kleinschmidt was outstanding, and helped him through some of the toughest times in his life. Unfortunately, Dr. Vuckovic was not compassionate to my brother on any level and did not believe that he had a real problem (I have reviewed him separately). Overall I would recommend the Pavilion as it changed my brother's life for the better.
Electrical Design Engineer (Current Employee), Lexington, MAAugust 14, 2013
This is a great place to work. Its fun and challenging. Its fast paced and must be a multi tasker.
Small,close knit environment
Clinical Assistant (Current Employee), Cambridge, MAAugust 2, 2013
Pros: benefits, yearly recognition bbq
Cons: nothing that comes to mind
I have worked at MIT for 18 years and have made some lifelong friends. I often wonder where did the 18 years go.
19th century culture - surfs please apply here
Unavailable (Current Employee), Cambridge, MAAugust 2, 2013
Pros: job security
Cons: see below
Job security is good, those who can leave do so as quickly as possible; so there is always hiring.

Salary is middle to low and you are unlikely to see any significant increase.
Advancement is minimal, managers and senior staff are on the whole middle aged and up - clinging on to get that pension (a good benefit although don't expect to see it if your in your 20s, and really I'd rather have the cash to invest.)
Work life balance is non-existent.
Exceptional leanrning environment
Security Coordinator (Former Employee), Lexington, MAJuly 22, 2013
Pros: great benifits
Cons: lack of chances to be promoted
Lincoln provides a flexible and relaxed environment. Employees are great. But some management figures are out of touch or should not be in a management position.

Furthering education is encouraged.
nice people
desk clerk (Former Employee), cambridge, MAJuly 11, 2013
assisting students, sorting mail, secretarial duties, checking students into rooms, checking students out of their rooms, closing station at end of shift, opeening at beggining of shift.
450 memorial drive
Efficient high performing and collaborative working environment
Contract Administrator (18 month Term Position) (Former Employee), Cambridge, MAJune 5, 2013
Pros: work life balance
A typical work day at MIT-OSP is fast paced, deadline driven, and consistently challenging. There is significant variety in the workload, in terms of the sponsors types, agreement/contract negotiations, awards, and questions/concerns from the departments/laboratories/centers.

Staff are very busy with their own portfolios, but try to maintain a friendly and collaborative working environment.

Management are supportive and provide professional development opportunities to their staff.
Great academic programs
Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee), Cambridge, MAMay 31, 2013
Excellent graduate education, challenging programs with exceptional support and environment for advancement.
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Cambridge, MAMay 10, 2013
I enjoyed working at MIT as an administrative assistant in one of the departments. The professors that I supported were nurturing and kind. They placed a high value on training and development so I was able to get a lot of exposure to various areas of the department and their research. They included me in as much as possible to assist me in learning what they did so that I could best support them. I wouldn't hesitate to return to work there.
Productive and Inspiring Work Place
Postdoctoral Research Associate (Current Employee), Cambridge, MAMay 6, 2013
MIT is an excellent workplace. A typical day is very challenging often, productive and collaborative. Learnt a lot of new techniques and new instrument operations. Being a safety office in the lab, I have learnt and been responsible for quite a lot about safety issues in lab environment. Co-workers here are extremely helpful and always looking for collaboration which increases productivity indeed. The hardest part is to live up to the expectations of the huge pharma company collaboration. The most enjoyable part is the challenges that I am faced with everyday.
Amazing people, culture, vision
Member of Executive Team (Current Employee), Cambridge, MAMay 3, 2013
Working top minds in developing strategic solutions for some of the leading ventures in the Boston area!
Everything is about research, experiments, experiments every day!
Research Technologist (Former Employee), Cambridge, MAMarch 19, 2013
Pros: smart people around!
I was involved in multiple medical research projects. Some of them were very ineresting and thereafter got published in recognized journals.
Greatest positive: work-life balance
Group Program Manager (Current Employee), Cambridge, MAMarch 1, 2013
Pros: work-life balance
Cons: career stagnation
Offers a reasonably flexible work environment and good benefit package, but few opportunities for career advancement.
It's a life experience
Research Assistant - Transit Laboratory (Current Employee), Cambridge, MAFebruary 25, 2013
Pros: free lunches, smart people, great community
Cons: little sleep?
MIT is completely different from anything I've ever experienced. I've never worked harder in my life, but I've also never felt more fulfilled.

Massachusetts Institute of Technology Salaries