Massachusetts Institute of Technology Employee Reviews in United States

19th century culture - surfs please apply here
Unavailable (Current Employee) –  Cambridge, MAAugust 2, 2013
Job security is good, those who can leave do so as quickly as possible; so there is always hiring.

Salary is middle to low and you are unlikely to see any significant increase.
Advancement is minimal, managers and senior staff are on the whole middle aged and up - clinging on to get that pension (a good benefit although don't expect to see it if your in your 20s, and really I'd rather have the cash to invest.)
Work life balance is non-existent.
Pros
job security
Cons
see below
Love (most of ) the students !
Instructor (Current Employee) –  CambridgeJuly 11, 2012
No chance of advancement if you are technical. I spoke with HR about and they told me that the track is a dead end. If you are an administrator and don't kill anyone you will advance. Medical "benifits " for a family cost $700 a month, now with a $10 per visit copay. Yes you pay for perscriptions Parking permit at work is over $1000 a year , no you are not guaranteed a parking spot.

Each department is indepenent. Some treat employees better than others.

Come get some experience and move on.
Pros
kind of steady
Cons
expensive place to work
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, MAMay 10, 2013
I enjoyed working at MIT as an administrative assistant in one of the departments. The professors that I supported were nurturing and kind. They placed a high value on training and development so I was able to get a lot of exposure to various areas of the department and their research. They included me in as much as possible to assist me in learning what they did so that I could best support them. I wouldn't hesitate to return to work there.
Productive and Inspiring Work Place
Postdoctoral Research Associate (Current Employee) –  Cambridge, MAMay 6, 2013
MIT is an excellent workplace. A typical day is very challenging often, productive and collaborative. Learnt a lot of new techniques and new instrument operations. Being a safety office in the lab, I have learnt and been responsible for quite a lot about safety issues in lab environment. Co-workers here are extremely helpful and always looking for collaboration which increases productivity indeed. The hardest part is to live up to the expectations of the huge pharma company collaboration. The most enjoyable part is the challenges that I am faced with everyday.
Productive and diverse place to work
Office Assistant (temporary) (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, MAFebruary 19, 2013
Filing scholarly journal articles, faxing, copying and mailing documents and maintaining an organized office. I enjoyed working here because the people were helpful and friendly. I enjoyed filing because I sometimes paused to read the abstracts and therefore learned a lot about the research that was being conducted by the principal investigator. I was introduced to the scholarly journal, PNAS. This exposed me to a wonderful resource for scientific research. The hardest part of the job was that is was only temporary; I wish the administrative assistant whom I was filling in for needed a personal assistant!
Pros
working at an academic and scientific institution; friendly and helpful people
World-class research institute
Postdoctoral Associate (Current Employee) –  Cambridge, MAOctober 23, 2012
Gain a lot of experience! good atmosphere....good co workers...lack of excessive pressure.....good and neat surroundings everywhere.. good facilities.. personnel space available..
Pros
good research environment, good weather, good teacher, many good seminar around. it is a great place to obtain the newest research information
Cons
not much of any cons, but it there had to be one compensation could always be better
Telecom/Network Specialist
Telecom/Network Specialist (Former Employee) –  Lexington MaOctober 19, 2012
Worked as a team member on the Communications Infrastructure Upgrade Project that replaced all MIT Lincoln Lab existing wiring with new High Speed Single and Multi mode fiber optic cable.
Recent experience has afforded me with the occasion to oversee the Leaf Laser Fiber Optic GlowNet project from MIT Campus to Millstone Radar in Westford.
Worked for MIT Lincoln Lab Group 65 with Terabyte speed laser test installation.
Installed fiber optic wiring at the MIT Millstone Radar for the Air Force Space Command multi-array BossNet project.
Worked with KG-194, STE, STU and L3 secure systems.
Worked with Verizon, Rotman Electrical, Quest and Cheyenne Mountain S.A.C.
Interfaced with Security Department for contractors and vendors needing access to secure areas.
Good education
Ph.D. Research-MIT Biology Program (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, MAOctober 22, 2013
PhD at MIT in Biology is great education for an academic career. Many resources are in place to transition to industry as well. The situation is very lab-dependent. Choose a lab carefully. The Biology Dept. is very supportive to its PhD candidates as a whole and once accepted the program is geared to assist you as much as possible toward having a healthy and strong experience. There are many friendly faculty members, all very ambitious and require a lot of hard work. You will be humbled, but you will come out a much better scientist. Again, choose a professor you communicate well with. Do not just choose based on research. So much of the learning process occurs depending on the atmosphere of the specific laboratory.
Pros
excellent education
Cons
requires self-motivation, can be frustrating and requires extreme passion and endurance
Would never recommend any sane person to work @ MIT!
M.I.T.Office of the Registrar - Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, MAMarch 29, 2014
MIT is by far the worst employer I have worked for. You are a "nobody" there unless you kiss serious butt! That's no bull. They lie to you, keep you in the dark, and are so uncaring about their employees. I for one, am so glad that I was laid-off!
Pros
none!
Cons
refer to my review, and too many more to list.
Big dissapointment
Accountant (Current Employee) –  CambridgeNovember 6, 2013
I'm a current "back office" employee. We work on a very outdated equipment - I have 15" monitor. We just heard today from management that we cant wear headphones (some of us like to listen to music) during work hours. Flexible work hours, that MIT proudly advertises- just a theory... wont get approved. Big dissapointment.
Pros
stability
Cons
outdated equipment
Beautiful place to work
Research Methods Consultant (Current Employee) –  Cambridge, MAJune 4, 2012
I love this place. Everyone is smart, efficient, kind and friendly. It's easy to make it to work because it's conveniently located on the red line. There are endless resources, fantastic benefits and you can tell you're surrounded by greatness.
Pros
high pay, everyone is awesome
Cons
lots of gratifying work - but seriously who cares.
MIT (several entities)
Senior Administrative Assistant & Office Manager (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, MAOctober 23, 2013
MIT is a wonderful place and environment to work in, faculty, colleagues and students are great. Nothing negative, other than some days are more trying than others but overall good experience
Pros
very good benefits, work colleagues, training classes
Cons
gossip
Exceptional leanrning environment
Security Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Lexington, MAJuly 22, 2013
Lincoln provides a flexible and relaxed environment. Employees are great. But some management figures are out of touch or should not be in a management position.

Furthering education is encouraged.
Pros
great benifits
Cons
lack of chances to be promoted
Postdoc
Postdoctoral associate (Former Employee) –  cambridge, maDecember 25, 2013
• Synthesized novel compounds that damage DNA, used for the treatment of cancer and infectious diseases; Developed alternate synthetic methods for maximizing yield.
• Synthesized nucleic acid-genotoxin adducts.
• Performed synthesis of radiolabelled compounds.
Great environment to learn technology
Research Assistant, Electroceramics Laboratory (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, MAJune 26, 2014
Great professors and students.
Lectures were fantastic.
However, the experimental instruments are quite old for some department.
Pros
great learning enviornment
Cons
no life work balance.
Excellent workplace, with mentors providing appropriate guidance and empowerment
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, MAJuly 17, 2012
MIT has one of the most flexible work environment that I have ever encountered. There is specific focus on delivering value and adequate support is provided for work life balance.
MIT: Intellectually Challenging Workplace Where It Really IS Rocket Science!
Director of Communications & Outreach (Current Employee) –  Cambridge, MAJuly 27, 2012
The culture at MIT is one of constant improvement and innovation; in that respect it reflects the profession of engineering in general. At MIT, I work with incredibly smart, driven people who--while they may not be the most adept at interpersonal skills--more than make up for this deficit with their commitment to collaborate and work productively in teams.

As a professional communicator, the biggest challenge I face is earning respect for the important role of outreach, dissemination, "marketing" (a word we don't use here!), and public relations.

To address that challenge, I demonstrate my value every day: Whether it's delivering high quality collateral, for print or online, on time, on budget, and to specification, or sharing quantifiable analytics (website visitation, for example).
Pros
smart, motivated students and co-workers; challenging work; relatively relaxed culture; excellent benefits
Truly a wonderful environment
Laboratory Manager/Techical Associate (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, MAJanuary 7, 2013
There just aren't enough good things that can be said about MIT!!
Pros
awesome people! excited, hard-working students and exceptional faculty! the most fascinating science at your fingertips.
Cons
academic salary
Very Rigorous Environment
Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, MASeptember 30, 2014
You are required and expected to give your very best and deliver results. It's a tough environment but the invaluable experience is worth it - you learn from and with the very best.
learning environment
Lab Technician (Former Employee) –  Cambridge MAAugust 31, 2012
At this job it has always been a learning environment, everyday was challenging and learning experience. I also had the hands on experience to perform and carry out experiments
Pros
scientific job atmosphere
Cons
some experiments didn't work

Massachusetts Institute of Technology Reviews by Location