Massachusetts Institute of Technology

Massachusetts Institute of Technology United States Employee Reviews

Stimulating workplace
Research Engineer (Current Employee), Boston, MAFebruary 22, 2013
Several meetings, part development, part writing, moderate to heavy email load. Best part interacting with multi-disciplinary teams.
Productive and diverse place to work
Office Assistant (temporary) (Former Employee), Cambridge, MAFebruary 19, 2013
Pros: working at an academic and scientific institution; friendly and helpful people
Filing scholarly journal articles, faxing, copying and mailing documents and maintaining an organized office. I enjoyed working here because the people were helpful and friendly. I enjoyed filing because I sometimes paused to read the abstracts and therefore learned a lot about the research that was being conducted by the principal investigator. I was introduced to the scholarly journal, PNAS. This exposed me to a wonderful resource for scientific research. The hardest part of the job was that is was only temporary; I wish the administrative assistant whom I was filling in for needed a personal assistant!
Good place to work, decent benefits, nice environment
Financial Assistant II (Former Employee), Cambridge, MAFebruary 5, 2013
Pros: good 401k match
Cons: hard to get promoted internally
The work can get routine but all in all MIT is a good place to work. Tuition benefits and 401K match excellent.
The Best Engineering School in the World
Research Assistant (Current Employee), Cambridge, MAJanuary 31, 2013
Pros: plenty of free food
Cons: small
Great place to study and do research, smart co-workers and managers. Excellent sport facilities and health services.
Truly a wonderful environment
Laboratory Manager/Techical Associate (Former Employee), Cambridge, MAJanuary 7, 2013
Pros: awesome people! excited, hard-working students and exceptional faculty! the most fascinating science at your fingertips.
Cons: academic salary
There just aren't enough good things that can be said about MIT!!
MIT is a cutting-edge community
Fiscal Officer (Current Employee), Boston, MANovember 30, 2012
MIT is an exciting place to work in research administration.
World-class research institute
Postdoctoral Associate (Current Employee), Cambridge, MAOctober 23, 2012
Pros: good research environment, good weather, good teacher, many good seminar around. it is a great place to obtain the newest research information
Cons: not much of any cons, but it there had to be one compensation could always be better
Gain a lot of experience! good atmosphere....good co workers...lack of excessive pressure.....good and neat surroundings everywhere.. good facilities.. personnel space available..
Telecom/Network Specialist
Telecom/Network Specialist (Former Employee), Lexington MaOctober 19, 2012
Worked as a team member on the Communications Infrastructure Upgrade Project that replaced all MIT Lincoln Lab existing wiring with new High Speed Single and Multi mode fiber optic cable.
Recent experience has afforded me with the occasion to oversee the Leaf Laser Fiber Optic GlowNet project from MIT Campus to Millstone Radar in Westford.
Worked for MIT Lincoln Lab Group 65 with Terabyte speed laser test installation.
Installed fiber optic wiring at the MIT Millstone Radar for the Air Force Space Command multi-array BossNet project.
Worked with KG-194, STE, STU and L3 secure systems.
Worked with Verizon, Rotman Electrical, Quest and Cheyenne Mountain S.A.C.
Interfaced with Security Department for contractors and vendors needing access to secure areas.
Exciting place to work
Post Doctoral Research Associate (Current Employee), Cambridge, MASeptember 11, 2012
Amazing place for research and development. smart people all around you. lots of opportunities for making contacts and getting to know the experts in the world.
Great Place to work
Financial Analyst Assistant (Former Employee), Cambridge, MASeptember 1, 2012
Great area to work and you get to meet many people. I learned many different things about the students groups
learning environment
Lab Technician (Former Employee), Cambridge MAAugust 31, 2012
Pros: scientific job atmosphere
Cons: some experiments didn't work
At this job it has always been a learning environment, everyday was challenging and learning experience. I also had the hands on experience to perform and carry out experiments
great place to work with lots of advancement
FINANCIAL ASSISTANT II (Former Employee), Cambridge, MAAugust 16, 2012
great place to work learning something new almost every day
Great friendly place to work
Accounting Group Accounts Manager (Former Employee), Cambridge, MAJuly 31, 2012
MIT was a wonderful place to work. They are very considerate of their employees in various career paths. The benefits are excellent and the support system is unparalleled in the Cambridge area.
What can I say? It's MIT
Technical Associate, Department of Chemistry (Former Employee), Cambridge, MAJuly 27, 2012
You learn so much - you have to work very hard, but you learn a ton
MIT: Intellectually Challenging Workplace Where It Really IS Rocket Science!
Director of Communications & Outreach (Current Employee), Cambridge, MAJuly 27, 2012
Pros: smart, motivated students and co-workers; challenging work; relatively relaxed culture; excellent benefits
The culture at MIT is one of constant improvement and innovation; in that respect it reflects the profession of engineering in general. At MIT, I work with incredibly smart, driven people who--while they may not be the most adept at interpersonal skills--more than make up for this deficit with their commitment to collaborate and work productively in teams.

As a professional communicator, the biggest challenge I face is earning respect for the important role of outreach, dissemination, "marketing" (a word we don't use here!), and public relations.

To address that challenge, I demonstrate my value every day: Whether it's delivering high quality collateral, for print or online, on time, on budget, and to specification, or sharing quantifiable analytics (website visitation, for example).
Work
Machine Operator (Former Employee), CambridgeJuly 25, 2012
Good Experience, performed the task to the best of my ability.
Excellent workplace, with mentors providing appropriate guidance and empowerment
Research Assistant (Former Employee), Cambridge, MAJuly 17, 2012
MIT has one of the most flexible work environment that I have ever encountered. There is specific focus on delivering value and adequate support is provided for work life balance.
Great environment
Technical Associate/ Facility Manager (Current Employee), Cambridge, MAJuly 13, 2012
Lots of smart, interesting people working to discover mysteries.
Love (most of ) the students !
Instructor (Current Employee), CambridgeJuly 11, 2012
Pros: kind of steady
Cons: expensive place to work
No chance of advancement if you are technical. I spoke with HR about and they told me that the track is a dead end. If you are an administrator and don't kill anyone you will advance. Medical "benifits " for a family cost $700 a month, now with a $10 per visit copay. Yes you pay for perscriptions Parking permit at work is over $1000 a year , no you are not guaranteed a parking spot.

Each department is indepenent. Some treat employees better than others.

Come get some experience and move on.
it is a fun place to teach
Instructor (Current Employee), Cambridge, MAJune 27, 2012
Pros: flexible schedule
Cons: only work 4 hrs a week
i instruct my students on how to use several types of martial arts.

Massachusetts Institute of Technology Photos