Massage Envy Spa Employee Reviews

Terrible Management and Corporate
Front Desk Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Draper, UTFebruary 5, 2016
The job itself isn't bad at all. It is a fun environment and I love working with the therapists and clients. But management is TERRIBLE!! They are all franchised but I have heard this about most of them. Corporate is impossible to reach, and the managers are ignorant. Plus if you read into the contract for memberships and all the policies of the business most people don't agree with it all. It is hard to sell something you don't even believe in and wouldn't buy into yourself. Just do a lot of research on the company and clinic before you think about working there. Also, they make it almost impossible to get raises and advance up.
Pros
Cheap massages and facials
Cons
A lot more...
Fun
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCJanuary 31, 2016
Good place to work.Uncapped commission. Received free massages once a month. Very low stress environment. Greeted the customers as they walked in and got to know them more.
Pros
Uncapped Commission
Great work place to start a Massage or Esthetician Career
Clinic Assistant Administrator/Esthetician (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJanuary 25, 2016
Great place to get comfortable with working in the Spa Industry. Cons are it is mainly a member base cliental. Managers and employees work great together to make the client run.
Pros
Flex Hours
Cons
Member Base
Good experience
Spa - Esthetician (Current Employee) –  Farmington, CTJanuary 22, 2016
It is good for therapists and estheticians who are fresh out of school. Provides you with good hands on experience. Working as an Esthetician I got training in all the healthy skin facials which uses all Murad. I do not like the line and did not see that great of results with clients who had real issues (skin sensitivity, acne, aging) good more for low maintenance clients looking to relax. Has a lot of bad ingredients, not organic. Had to do 90 day reviews frequently, and there are random audits from Murad to make sure you follow "script"
Doesn't use any microcurrent, no room for customization. Not good for experienced estheticians. very limiting.
Pros
benefits, healthcare, dental, life insurance, free massage, free facial, discounted retail
Cons
low pay, work not consistent, micro-managing, push for sales, little recognition for anything but product sales
Massage Envy always made me feel at home
Massage Therapist (Current Employee) –  Tucson, AZJanuary 15, 2016
Always arrived fifteen min before shift to prep before my shift began. greeted my clients with professionalism, addressing their areas of concern. Re rewind the sheets after each client was a must, witch lead to washing luandery daily. Managment required a weekly meeting with all therapist to keep us informed and motivated. All my co-workers got along making it seem like a second home. Hardest part of my job was going home wondering if my clients were feeling any better threw out the day. Most enjoyable part of my job was the joy and happiness a client would feel after feeling the relief of their issue thanking me , theres no better feeling.
Pros
flexible schedules, healthy work environment
Cons
decrease in scheduling when snow birds leave
Productive and work environment is calming.
FDA/Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Sacramento, CAJanuary 8, 2016
A typical day at work for me is finishing all task's and duties assigned to me in a fast and efficient way. I would say that the management within this clinic is well ran but could use a little more help and need's to be a whole lot strict with the employee's that work amongst the clinic. My co-workers are outstanding and everyone is able to work in a friendly environment. Honestly I feel that there is really no hard part about this job at all, only because I'm able to handle any situation that's flown my way. And last but not least I would have to say that the most enjoyable part of my job would be everything, only due to the fact that I enjoy the responsibility and all that comes with it from day one of working within the Massage Envy Spa companies.
Pros
Work environment, employee's, client's
Cons
N/A
Relaxing Environment
Front Desk Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Mooresville, NCJanuary 5, 2016
I enjoyed the daily interaction with guests and members. I love seeing the benefits of massage from out clients. My communication skills via telephone are exceptional thanks to this job. Sometimes it was hard to tell who was in charge and seemed disorganized when it comes to management.
Pros
Free monthly massages
Cons
Pushy sales approach when it comes to selling memberships
awesome company
General Manager (Former Employee) –  Toms River, NJJanuary 4, 2016
Great company to work for!
* Great management
* Great team work
* Great culture
*hardest part of job- making everyone happy!
*easiest part of job- Trying to make everyone happy!
Productive Workplace
sales associate (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYJanuary 3, 2016
It was a great experiencing working with my coworkers as well as customers. I was able to allow myself to work with customers and learn how to speak and grow with them within just a few minutes. I learned not to push them but to make them feel comfortable when going into the massage room.
Good place
Massage Therapist (Current Employee) –  Geneva, ILJanuary 3, 2016
9-10 hours work day. I have learn communicate with clients and develop great skills. Co-workers are great to work with.
Massage Envy
Customer service (Current Employee) –  Tracy, CADecember 29, 2015
Working in this company i learned a lot of new things. I learned better customer service, how to improve my sales. I learned how to deal with customer complaints on a daily basis. This job has helped be speak to customers in a better way has helped me be comfortable with sales and meeting sale goals.
Pros
free massage a month
Cons
not a full time job
Calling and sitting all day
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KSDecember 27, 2015
Management in past has been not steady
Software system is complex once learned very simple to understand
Management works with you if they like you otherwise it can be a challenge
Coworkers make it easier to work there and not get as frustrated
Hardest part is consistently getting yelled at when it may not be your fault
Enjoyable parts are getting free massage every month and interns, new massage therapist you get free massages too. I could sometimes get 2-3 free massages a week. During finals week made life a lot more bearable
Pros
snacks sometimes in break room, free massages
Cons
Management isn't consistent
Good place to start
Esthetician (Former Employee) –  Woodinville, WADecember 21, 2015
A few things to consider :
Practitioners are not paid if not booked, but still REQUIRED to stay at the facility in case some one MAY call. This shouldn't be a legal practice : If not paid , then practitioner should have the power to decide if they are willing to commit for the unpaid hours and volunteer their time.. just like any independent contractor would...
There is also a sense of micromanagement in the air and lack of sympathy to the workers.
This is 2015... factory work has been replaced with quality life and choice..
Pros
free massages and compensation while treating co workers
Cons
scheduling and pay
Negative work space with horrible management
Sales Associate/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Lenexa, KSDecember 20, 2015
a typical day at work: Very busy with clients and therapist complaints
what you learned: How to take helpful client notes and chart
management: often yelled and fought with each other. Always blamed employees for their shortcomings.
your co-workers: Most were very negative and too many catty girls at the front desk.
the hardest part of the job: dealing with co-workers and management
the most enjoyable part of the job: seeing happy clients after their services.
Productive, fun, professional
Receptionist (Current Employee) –  River Edge, NJDecember 12, 2015
-Helping to solve client problems and book appointments.
- Great staff
-Good management
-Fun and productive coworkers
- The most enjoyable part is the staff
- The hardest part is selling memberships ( But still relatively easy)
Pros
Free massages!!
Cons
none so far
Not for everyone...
GM/ Clinic Administrator (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNDecember 11, 2015
Massage Envy starts out as a fun job, but the compensation and upward mobility is not enough to consider making it a career if you are not a massage therapist. If you are a massage therapist, then be prepared for long hours and not a lot of money. Most of them will agree its a good place to start, and will eventually move on once they have their own practice or a higher paying spa position.
As a sales associate, the responsibilities are not too much but, the commission compensation is nothing to write home to Mom about. Each location has slightly different ways of conducting the day to day duties. The company could benefit from having better communication and organizational practices that are ubiquitous.
Pros
discounts on massage and some murad products
Cons
low compensation, little room for growth
Productive and Fun Place to wor
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  New Orleans, LADecember 8, 2015
The most enjoyable part of my job was my employees, they made the work day go easier, and the toughest part would be dealing with the unruly customers.
Love my job
Esthetician/Front Desk Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Johnsburg, ILDecember 2, 2015
I love where I work. I love the people the most. They make it what it is. They make it easy to go to work every day. My manager is such a good manager. She definitely makes sure everyone is doing a good job and tries a lot of team building activities. She has made good relationships with everyone there.
Cons
Don't make enough money
Good Place To Start Career in Industry
Esthetician (Current Employee) –  Deerfield Beach, FLNovember 30, 2015
The Company is well known so its easy to get clients. Facial Services are limited so barley room for growth as an Esthetician.
Best place I've worked with a family feel apron walking in to work
Sales Trainer (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CANovember 28, 2015
I could not have had a better experience working with and for Massage Envy. Our location had a very strong culture that made both the front and back of house feel like a family. We all worked together to make our location one of the highest grossing locations. I worked with the best management team and learned so much, that I will take with me on every step of my future career.
I worked hourly, and the wage was fine and flexible. The compensation structure was beneficial and i could make triple what my hourly rate was (and I did.)
I believe in the health and wellness of others and i find Massage Envy to be an amazing place to gain experience in sales, customer service, and wellness for any audience.
Pros
Competitive pay, strong culture, family feel, great bonuses, great place to work, selling something that truly helps people
Cons
I had to say goodbye when I moved