Massage Envy Employee Reviews

Fast pace environment
Sales Clerk (Former Employee) –  Arlington, VADecember 16, 2017
Fast pace environment. Management supports the staff with all needs. Workplace culture is ideal for someone who wants to advance. The hardest part of the job is adapting to the fast pace when I first started working for Massage Envy. I love working with my coworkers as well as dealing with the customers.
Pros
Paid every two weeks
Cons
The pay didn't suffice
Massage envy is slave labor
Massage Therapist (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMDecember 15, 2017
Management and owners did not care if they over worked you. Management and owners did not see therapists as a educated asset to their company, all they saw was numbers as a bottom line.
Pros
no need to find clients, provide sheets and cream
Cons
all aspects of working there
Slow and no money
New York Esthetician/Front Desk Associate (Current Employee) –  Lake Grove, NYDecember 15, 2017
The clientele is really slow and I don't get paid if I don't have clients. I love what I do, but I am not growing my career here. The workplace is fun, but I need to do what is best for my future and that is not happening at massage envy currently
Basically a minimum wage job when your new
Massage Therapist (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXDecember 15, 2017
They pay a lot per hour but you only get paid when you actually work, and unless you've been there for a while you're going to be sitting on your butt not getting paid for several hours each day. I've had 6 hour days in which I only got paid $20 because I only got booked with one client (seniority). There are good days too but a good day is like $120 for 4 hours of work and really good tips ($25 - $35 which arent the norm). I basically make about $500-$600 every two weeks after taxes and I work 24 hours a week (30 hours a week is fulltime). Decent place to start off if you have a second job or don't need to depend on this job to make a living, definitely not a career place, and you definitely aren't making the crazy amount of money that they claim you can on the avg yearly pay that they advertise.
Pros
Easy to get hired, low expectations, nice co workers
Cons
cheap ownership, poor pay structure, dirty work environment, seniority determines your earning potential not talent
Productive and professional place to work with positive structure
SPA/CLINIC MANAGER (Current Employee) –  Laguna Beach, CADecember 15, 2017
A typical day at work begins with meet and greet of staff followed by review of weekly and monthly projections. Most of the day is spend on sales and member retention. I reported to my manager on a weekly basis through a phone meeting. The work place culture is positve and driven by the Massage Envy franchise. The challenge with this job is hiring massage therapist since they are in high demand. Creating a positve work enviroment with a TEAM mentality is the most enjoyable part of the job.
Pros
Postive and professional work envirement
Cons
no benefits besides PTO
My life
FRONT DESK SUPERVISOR (Former Employee) –  Wayne, NJDecember 15, 2017
I loved working here. Everyone was amazing and i really enjoyed it. I worked at CVS as well and coming to ME was stress relief for me. I loved my Managers and the staff. It was a good 3 years just requesting off was first come first serve. An long amounts of time needed is tough to get. Me leaving was due to poor communication with my Managers.
Pros
discount. massages. facials. awesome team
Cons
no paid vacation time. benefits aren't great. must work weekends
Very good as 1 time job.
Front Desk Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVDecember 14, 2017
No room for advancement and front desk and manager wage is not a lot and you will need a second job to make enough money to pay bills on your own. It is a very busy atmosphere, always something to do to keep busy. There is no paid time off, vacation days whatsoever (no matter how long you have been with the company), the schedule is not set and changes weekly. The owner is rude and does not know how to speak to the staff. A lot of gossip and people getting hired weekly. A great job for a person living with parents because the pay is so low, and the staff is so young they get dramatic. They work well with your schedule and the best part of the job are the people who come in a lot are very nice. The hardest part of the job is doing your best and still will always be doing something wrong. Management is okay. This is not a job for someone looking for long term employment.
Pros
work schedule flexibility
Cons
outweigh the pros
Its a good place to start
Massage Therapist (Former Employee) –  Centennial Hills - Las Vegas, NVDecember 14, 2017
If you are a new massage therapist, Massage Envy is a great place to practice your craft. You get to work with other more seasoned therapists who can teach you some new moves and help you improve your technique. However, the compensation is not enough. You work like a dog, for a mere 15/per hour massage. Of course, like any other place, if you aren't doing massage and don't have any clients, your are sitting in the break room, and not making any money. As difficult as massage is on the therapists - physically, mentally and emotionally - they should pay their practitioners more than 15 per massage.
Pros
opportunity to learn from coworkers
Cons
Pay scale
Sales focus with less stress
Wellness Advisor (Current Employee) –  Tacoma, WADecember 13, 2017
Great place to work, great place to hone sales skills and learn to effectively provide to customers. Also a great place to really develop skills regarding product knowledge, and effectively communicating that to the customer.
Great therapists and front end staff
Front Desk Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Riverside, CADecember 13, 2017
Great staff and employees management is a joke. they are so busy trying to boss each other around they could care less about everyone else. Front end and therapist are great just wish managers cared about their staff.
Made life long friendships
Membership Sales Rep (Former Employee) –  Elk Grove, CADecember 13, 2017
There's not much to say but that it was like working with a family. Loved this job and till this day its the best place I've worked in. Starting with management and ending with the employees, everything was well run and fun.
Freindliest work environment I have ever experienced.
Massage Therapist (Current Employee) –  Port Saint Lucie, FLDecember 13, 2017
It's all pretty straight forward. You start at 16 per hour of massaging time and min wage for sitting time but if you go over 50% booked you dont get paid the sit time anymore and if you go below 50% you only get min wage even for hours that you are massaging. All in all a great place to start a massage career and get practice. Think of it as severely reduced pay-school. Only complaint is they charge $70 to clients for an hour and pay the therapist 16 dollars for it.
Pros
just about everything
Cons
very low pay. charges 70 to clients for 1 hour and pays therapists 16 for it.
Fun work
Wellness Consultant (Former Employee) –  Snellville, GADecember 13, 2017
Work is good when you know how to speak with people and actually sell those memberships, that's where most of your money comes from. As far as management, they're very picky and prissy. they show lots of favoritism and aren't all that great to all guests and members.
Massage Envy is a steady place to work
Business Manager/LMT (Current Employee) –  Bellingham, WADecember 12, 2017
As a massage therapist, Massage Envy is very easy to work. Everything is covered for you, from linens to marketing. A typical day would be showing up, seeing who is on your schedule and delivering a excellent experience. Massage Envy granted me a lot of growth. I moved up from being a massage therapist to the business manager in my location. I have always thought that the persons who run the company are out of touch with the professional staff and I still believe this. There is so much focus on the front desk and sales and very little focus on the professional staff. The franchisee of my location actually will say "Well, they should go work for (insert fast food chain) if they want to make more money". That doesn't feel supportive. In fact, it is the reason I am leaving the company all together. I have stuck with Massage Envy as a manager because I thought I could change the outlook the franchisee has on the industry. At this point I feel degraded and unappreciated.
Franchise company takes advantage of workers
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Carson City, NVDecember 12, 2017
It is easy for the owners of these franchises to take advantage of their workers. Low pay with low extras prohibits anyone from making enough money to support themselves.
Massage Therapist
Massage Therapist (Current Employee) –  West Hartford, CTDecember 12, 2017
Very fast pace environment with less than five minutes to change over a room. Not suited for slow moving people. This job will keep you very fit due to how fast pace it is.
Pros
continual clients
Cons
little time to change over a room
Not a comfortable place to stay, for long-term
Massage Therapist (Former Employee) –  Wilmington, DE 19803December 11, 2017
Tough working environment with high turn-over rate of employees. The most enjoyable part of the job, was working with the Clients. Gossipy; Not profes
decent environment for an entry level person
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VADecember 11, 2017
good place to learn the basics of sales. pay is much to be desired but if you are looking for a decent place to start off its not bad. Not a long term solution. The pressure to sell can be tough at times but not something a solid professional can't deal with.
Pros
good work culture and good discounts
Cons
pay, upward mobility is limited
Fun but stressful
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Naperville, ILDecember 11, 2017
I loved working here. Only complaint is that we were always understaffed and had to work horrible hours. Also sales are a huge pressure, and if you don’t perform, your job is on the line. Also, when you put a bunch of women together things can get caddy. Too much drama for me.
Pros
Fun job, meet nice people, decent benefits
Cons
No overtime, pressure of sales
Flexible hours Horrible Work environment
Front Desk Associate (Former Employee) –  Louisville, KYDecember 10, 2017
The management is uneducated and treat employees unfairly. The owners expect you to go over and beyond for nothing in return. The owners are cheap and do no value any of their employees. Many days as a FDA it is under staff and you will almost never get a break. The managers like to play favorite. If they want to fire you they won't they will just keep picking on you until you quit. I've seen this take place a number of times. Some employees are verbally abusive, sexist and racist, but that is looked over because it is convenient for the company to keep them.
Pros
good hours
Cons
toxic environment, poor pay, uneducated management, cheap owners

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Massage Envy. Our community is ready to answer.

2.6