Massage Envy Employee Reviews in United States

Found 1,797 reviews matching the search
Great as a leap pad to something way better
Massage Therapist (Current Employee) –  Gilbert, AZFebruary 24, 2016
This job was very disappointing. I would never recommend working here, they set you up in the beginning to think that you will have everything you need to really succeed at this job (as massage therapist or aesthetician). It is almost impossible to meet the standard to get your raise and they want to work you to the bone. There are way better Therapist jobs out there where you can make enough to barely survive and not kill yourself trying to do it. The wages here are awful and they set you up so you automatically fall into part time so they don't have to pay for your benefits. Not to mention everyone at my location was immature and childish. Even my manager would almost "water the drama flowers" so to speak. Very high tension because we are all under paid and under appreciated while the owners of this franchise make their thousands.
Pros
schedule selecation
Cons
almost everything
Management issues and lack of respect
Receptionist and Sale Representative (Former Employee) –  Sarasota, FLMarch 2, 2016
I worked at Massage Envy for 7 months. During that time I witnessed upper management being unable to cope with the demands of the position. Issues with clients ranged from billing to cancellation issues were frequent. Also, due to the lack of upkeep on management's part, sales associates had to pick up the slack. Also, there were no raises, no vacation time, and no sick days. Pressure to do well in sales with very little benefit was a constant pressure. I was let go via text message.
Pros
Wonderful coworkers and discounted massages
Cons
No breaks, lack of proper management
Terrible Management and Corporate
Front Desk Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Draper, UTFebruary 5, 2016
The job itself isn't bad at all. It is a fun environment and I love working with the therapists and clients. But management is TERRIBLE!! They are all franchised but I have heard this about most of them. Corporate is impossible to reach, and the managers are ignorant. Plus if you read into the contract for memberships and all the policies of the business most people don't agree with it all. It is hard to sell something you don't even believe in and wouldn't buy into yourself. Just do a lot of research on the company and clinic before you think about working there. Also, they make it almost impossible to get raises and advance up.
Pros
Cheap massages and facials
Cons
A lot more...
Good place to start out for massage
Licensed Massage Therapist (Current Employee) –  Lakeland, FLFebruary 19, 2016
working for massage envy is a quick and easy way to earn some money as a massage therapist. You show up to your shift and clients are already scheduled for you.
The breaks in between clients are little to non-existant, and if you tell them that you have training in deep tissue massage, they will work you to the bone with deep tissue clients.
Management is harsh and not very understanding of their therapists and their medical limits as therapists.
I work evenings and the hours are ridiculously late at night and it is very hard to have a change in your schedule approved.
Pros
paycheck
Cons
Short breaks, no benefits
Dont depend on anyone having your back or working together
FRONT DESK SALES ASSOCIATE (Current Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMMarch 5, 2016
This company would be a great place if everyone whom worked for them actually followed the guidelines that corporate puts so much time and effort into to make each store a success. It would be great if everyone practiced what they preached. Teamwork is pushed, or should i say said every meeting (once a month), and yet everyone whom works here actually looks out for themselves and themselves only.
Pros
discounted massages
Cons
low pay, no advancement, no benifits
bipolar manager! lack of real competent leadership.
Lmt (Former Employee) –  Cumming, GADecember 7, 2015
Management does not care about employees. Don't get injuried, be out for any specific reason pertaining to your health. They will bother you about the most mundane things while you are absent trying to recover. No work life balance. Will argue with you in front of clients when you are trying to make suggestions on how things could run better *like having enough face cradles available on one of the busiest days of the week SATURDAY)! Takes an act of God to get a raise no matter how hard you work for them. Don't tell them you do deep tissue! They will book you deep tissue massages all day with no mercy. I could go on and on about the horrible pay, no benefits, etc, but just read through the plethora of reviews on here, and you will get the idea real quick about this franchise.
Pros
discounted massages
Cons
everything else.
Horrible owners
Front Desk (Current Employee) –  Hampton, VAJanuary 20, 2016
I worked for massage envy for almost 2 years now, and it has been a long journey. I had to put in my 2 weeks notice just to get a pay raise that was well deserved. I love my girls up front, they are really the only motivation up front when things get crazy. Its like working for ppl who just decided to wake up and own a business. We are rated on how many membership sales we make each pay period, and if we dont hit the overall percentage, we dont get paid for the ppl that we sign up, and they take your hours away in the schedule that they make at the end of each week. It is a very stressful job that could be a great one if management was stable. We at least hired 8 ppl up front in the past 3 months, and non of them work here. They ALL QUIT and only 1 person fulfilled there 2 weeks notice without just leaving. What does that say about how business is run. I want to see this place grow for the better, but honestly it wont. EVER. We basically run the clinic up front, and get penalized when we make honest mistakes. Horrible job.
Pros
Co-workers that soon become good friends
Cons
pay, dealing with rude clients everyday
Not for everyone...
GM/ Clinic Administrator (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNDecember 11, 2015
Massage Envy starts out as a fun job, but the compensation and upward mobility is not enough to consider making it a career if you are not a massage therapist. If you are a massage therapist, then be prepared for long hours and not a lot of money. Most of them will agree its a good place to start, and will eventually move on once they have their own practice or a higher paying spa position.
As a sales associate, the responsibilities are not too much but, the commission compensation is nothing to write home to Mom about. Each location has slightly different ways of conducting the day to day duties. The company could benefit from having better communication and organizational practices that are ubiquitous.
Pros
discounts on massage and some murad products
Cons
low compensation, little room for growth
A good stepping stone in my career
Massage Therapist (Current Employee) –  Superior, COJanuary 21, 2016
A reliable job with great coworkers! This job has helped me improve my time management skills and provided a steady flow of clients! I've truly grown in my career here at, Massage Envy - Superior, CO.
Pros
Free continuing ed classes, on time with paychecks, good team enviroment, employee discounts for services and products, flexible hours.
Cons
Have to work over 30+ hours a week to qualify for medical benifits, hard to get time off if you can't find any coworkers to cover your shift, observed coworkers struggle to get worker's comp due to injury.
Good experience
Spa - Esthetician (Current Employee) –  Farmington, CTJanuary 22, 2016
It is good for therapists and estheticians who are fresh out of school. Provides you with good hands on experience. Working as an Esthetician I got training in all the healthy skin facials which uses all Murad. I do not like the line and did not see that great of results with clients who had real issues (skin sensitivity, acne, aging) good more for low maintenance clients looking to relax. Has a lot of bad ingredients, not organic. Had to do 90 day reviews frequently, and there are random audits from Murad to make sure you follow "script"
Doesn't use any microcurrent, no room for customization. Not good for experienced estheticians. very limiting.
Pros
benefits, healthcare, dental, life insurance, free massage, free facial, discounted retail
Cons
low pay, work not consistent, micro-managing, push for sales, little recognition for anything but product sales
Best place I've worked with a family feel apron walking in to work
Sales Trainer (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CANovember 28, 2015
I could not have had a better experience working with and for Massage Envy. Our location had a very strong culture that made both the front and back of house feel like a family. We all worked together to make our location one of the highest grossing locations. I worked with the best management team and learned so much, that I will take with me on every step of my future career.
I worked hourly, and the wage was fine and flexible. The compensation structure was beneficial and i could make triple what my hourly rate was (and I did.)
I believe in the health and wellness of others and i find Massage Envy to be an amazing place to gain experience in sales, customer service, and wellness for any audience.
Pros
Competitive pay, strong culture, family feel, great bonuses, great place to work, selling something that truly helps people
Cons
I had to say goodbye when I moved
Don't work for this company unless it is a last resort.
Massage Therapist (Current Employee) –  Henderson, NVNovember 17, 2015
Work environment depends on the people at your location. Pay is horrible considering the fact you need to go to school and become licensed in order to work there. Minimum wage vs. $15 per service hour commission and you get paid whichever is higher. That means if you don't do enough massages over the spand of two weeks, you only get $8.25/hr for all the hours of massage that you did do. Not ok. Also, the only room for growth that exists within the company is the opportunity for a raise (in your commission rate only) that you will only receive if the management likes you, regardless of if you're a hard worker, quality therapist, etc... Horrible company to work for. Run the other way.
productive and fun work place centered on customer satisfaction
Massage Therapist (Current Employee) –  Cary, NCFebruary 29, 2016
A typical day at massage envy is laid back and relaxing while being customer service centered and professional while providing the best environment for employees to use and sharpen their craft and clients to relax and enjoy grade A services. The hardest part of the day is winding down to leave and the most enjoyable is gearing up for a new round of satisfied clients.
benefits
Cons
no extra for deep tissue
Terrible
Massage therapist (Former Employee) –  Wellesley, MAFebruary 20, 2016
I worked for massage envy in Wellesley ma , no benefits, no management , very disorganized, no tem player , the equipments are old and broke , the payroll is a mess you have to keep your eyes open each period because miss payments a lot mistake in your pay check always , tips are charge in other terapist name instead you . No management support , basically the front desk run the business .
Pros
Cons
No management
help people with massage
therapist (Current Employee) –  Palo Alto, CAMarch 23, 2016
a lot of people have pain and chronic symptoms. i solve their problems by doing bodywork on them. my management is good. they are friendly and helpful. the difficutly of job is too much physical energy consumption.
Pros
flex hour and polite respectful attitude
Cons
salary is still not equavilent to the energy i spend on clients
Good place to start
Esthetician (Former Employee) –  Woodinville, WADecember 21, 2015
A few things to consider :
Practitioners are not paid if not booked, but still REQUIRED to stay at the facility in case some one MAY call. This shouldn't be a legal practice : If not paid , then practitioner should have the power to decide if they are willing to commit for the unpaid hours and volunteer their time.. just like any independent contractor would...
There is also a sense of micromanagement in the air and lack of sympathy to the workers.
This is 2015... factory work has been replaced with quality life and choice..
Pros
free massages and compensation while treating co workers
Cons
scheduling and pay
Good place to start out as a MT.
Licensed Massage Therapist (Current Employee) –  TexasNovember 20, 2015
Overall, it depends on where you go. If you want to make a lot of money as a MT, you won't get that here. However - if you are new and need experience this is perfect for you.
Pros
Great management team although locations are independently owned so this depends on the location, Gain experience, Teamwork/family connection between therapists, Fun place to work, Rewarding, $2 or $3 for upgrades per massages, $10-20 tips per massage
Cons
Pay isn't that great. I started off at $16 b/c I am DT certified. Those that aren't start at $15, Quarterly meetings outside of work hours that are mandatory and last 3 hours approximately, Benefits aren't that great, No 401k, Sometimes management is not good at some locations, If you don't have a client you don't get paid unless it was a cancelation, Front staff is constantly coming and going
Typical
Wellness Advisor (Former Employee) –  Covington, WAJanuary 23, 2016
I worked for a franchise. Some of the women working at the front desk were rude beyond belief. The therapists would just turn around and talk about the clients that were coming in and out of their rooms. I felt that I did not belong, and I always felt like there was something being stated about my race. The management didn't care about the way their employees felt, they just wanted to hear juicy gossip.
Pros
free massages
Cons
No benefits, commission based
It was a vet laid back place to work.
Shift Manager (Former Employee) –  Spring, TXMarch 24, 2016
A typical day there was very quiet, and calming. I learned about massage and it's health benefits. Management was okay there, they are franchises so it can very. There really wasn't a hard part to the job. It was standard receptionist duties.
Productive and fun workplace...great benefits
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Des Peres, MOFebruary 5, 2016
This is a great place to work. They people are wonderful, the benefits are great, the culture is exciting and fun. I really enjoy the clients too...They are usually happy (they are coming to get a massage, what's not to like about that) and friendly.
Pros
Good pay, great benefits, friendly staff.
Cons
The business comes in waves...It can be hectic at time but is also peaceful at times

2.7