Massage Envy

Massage Envy Employer Reviews

Always busy.
Massage Therapist (Former Employee), Jenkintown, PAJuly 21, 2014
I liked working at massage envy because I always had client. I was able to learn so much working there. My co-workers were very nice and very informative.
Learning Experience
Licensed Massage Therapist (Current Employee), Nashville, TNJuly 21, 2014
A place to get work experience; quality of clients depends on location of Massage Envy.
Team building yet no opportunity for professional advancement and future secrity
Massage Therapist (Current Employee), Dallas, TXJuly 21, 2014
Pros: free promotions, organized events, clean, safe and professional workplace
Cons: future security, consistent hours, sexiest, benefits, pay, and professional advancement
Can consist of a busy or slow day based on the time of year and if any holidays are approaching. The time I've been with the company I can see within this industry individuals have no professional advancement with their employer. without my current management staff I'm not sure I would've made it this far without their leadership, willingness to address – more... issues to promote an outstanding work environment and listening to employee's concerns. With their teamwork in a workplace is an valuable necessity, along with my fellow co-workers, which are an amazing group of individuals who have to taught me more than I knew while in school and has helped with guidance with my career. The 3 years with the company and still present there's been a lot of ups and downs mainly due to personal growth, and future security. I enjoy and am truly grateful for the opportunity that I have been given and the skills have gained, by helping clients improve physical conditions and emotional wellbeing. – less
Nothern VA: Dumfries, Manassas, Lake Ridge, Stafford
Lead Sales Associate (Former Employee), Dumfries, VAJuly 20, 2014
Pros: an airconditioned envrionment during the summer and its heated during the winter.
Cons: unknowlegeable owners, low pay, poor management, cleaning bathrooms, sometimes poor clientele
It would be in your best interest not to work at any of the locations listed in the headline. They are all owned by a couple, the Fischer's (their last name).

They are rarely ever in the clinics while they have literally no idea what goes on at the clinic level while certain therapists do whatever they want without consequence. They pay is extremely – more... low, try $8.00 an hour, plus a measly commission that ranges from $3-$12 with only two escalators that can "up" your base hourly wage. These are the same people that for years started new employees at $7.50 an hour. OF COURSE, because you can live off of that anywhere.

They have no idea how to run a clinic and no sense of promoting within for the people that actually work hard. Instead, they'd rather go out and hire externals that rarely work, or are just as clueless.

In a nutshell, if you would like to work for a company/couple who wishes they could be real business owners and not franchisee's, who have incompetent management, very low pay and little appreciation for their employee's, among other things; then you are better off working in the corporate world.

**This is NOT the basis for all Massage Envy's, just the one's listed and which ever more the Fischer's take over.** – less
do not work here
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Bloomington, IndianaJuly 18, 2014
Pros: okay pay, easy tasks
Cons: business model, corrupt employees, not very good benefits
my location had corrupt management and I was unfairly fired to reporting illegal and unethical behavior to the owner.
there were issues with other coworkers and one of the therapists not only did not follow protocol and lost us customers, but frequently yelled at the other coworkers and was never reprimanded.
The pay wasn't bad but there were so many – more... issues with benefits and compensation that was supposed to be received and wasn't. The company itself is so focused on selling memberships that you lose base with what the company is actually supposed to be doing... they put up this front of wanting to improve people's health, but it's corporately operated which is very evident. The work was easy but not worth the stress and drama. – less
Great Starter Job
Esthetician (Former Employee), Austin, texasJuly 14, 2014
Massage Envy is a great starter job for an esthetician. The limited choice in back bar is very disappointing.
This is a great job
Sales Associate (Current Employee), Winter Garden, FLJuly 11, 2014
Pros: discounted massages
Cons: n/a
Massage Envy is a pleasant place to work. The staff makes you feel like family, the members are very respectful, and its a clean facility.
NICE and CLEAN atmosphere
Massage Therapist (Former Employee), Boca Raton, FLJuly 11, 2014
Pros: love to work
Cons: long breaks
Typical day at work for me is to know work will be adventurous and fun working for and with client(s) to ensure their satisfaction. I want to learn how can in the future better assist them with better health-care. I want to be helpful to my co-workers and provider any knowledge that I attain during my Massage Program at school. There are no hardest – more... to Massage Therapy for me, I love my what I do. Everything about it excite and make my day. – less
Sales position
Junior Clinic Administrator (Current Employee), Lafayette, LAJuly 11, 2014
Pros: next to cc's coffee, and we get a discount
Cons: 30 minute breaks, infrequent job reviews and raises, understaffed/overworked
A typical day at work consists of booking appointments, entering client's information into computer, answering phones, presenting wellness program to prospective members, and maintaining cleanliness of clinic

With this job, I improved my time management skills and I learned how to handle money with constant cash transactions. I also learned, because – more... this was my first commission-based position.

Management is extremely inconsistent.

Some of my co-workers were great, some were horrible. There has been a lot of turnover during my time here.

Hardest part of the job was being understaffed. Most Massage Envy clinics have many more employees than this one, so each sales associate is doing the work of three people.

The most enjoyable part of the job is being able to connect with people, and help them find relief from pain and everyday stress. – less
Massage therapist
Massage Therapist (Current Employee), San Diego, CAJuly 8, 2014
Pros: very relaxed atmosphere
Cons: not constantly busy/ some times i drive to work and they send me home.
As a therapist that has worked in the spa and medical field, it is my observation that even the most inexperienced therapist are well underpaid at this establishment. Although massage Envy does provide affordable massage therapy, the compensation for its therapists are low. When i was first hired on at this establishment they wanted to pay me 15 per – more... hr, but their misleading hiring ad says make 27 to 37 per hour......that is including tips which they fail to mention.
Although i have that to say about pay, this is actually a nice place to work. A typical day is sitting in a quiet room, performing various modalities of massage, and listening to music. As far as mangers go i must say, i must have found a good spa. The interaction is pleasant. – less
horrible location to work for
massage therapist (Former Employee), 1960 and eldridgeJuly 7, 2014
Pros: co-workers are wonderful
Cons: management is unorganized and they do not pay well
A typical work day at this partcular location. where do i begin. First they do not offer benefits or 401k at this particular location, they do not pay for idle time, you can not look at your tips at the end of your shift. the manager did not know what to do when it came to running to place. Do not know how to treat their workers with respect. Asked – more... things in my interview about what religion i was and how many children i had and if i did have children who would take care of them. these things which i found very uprofessinal. Co workers are wonderful and a joy to be around it is just the owner and the manager at this location that makes it very unpleasnt to work for. – less
Great Place to Work
Receptionist (Current Employee), Jacksonville, FLJuly 7, 2014
Working at Massage Envy I have the opportunity to work in a relaxed setting while concentrating on the overall satisfaction of the guests. My duties include answering phones, setting appointments and checking in/checking out guests throughout the day.
fun place to work
Sales Associate/Customer Service (Former Employee), Salt Lake City, UTJuly 3, 2014
Pros: fun relaxing place to work everyone is friendly
Cons: not enough clients not enough work to go around
You get to travel to different places in the city and never know what will happen day to day as working for Massage Envy
Massage Envy
Sales Associate/Receptionist (Current Employee), Morris PlainsJuly 1, 2014
Pros: paid lunch, massage benefits, great coworkers
Cons: not enough pay
I learn a lot at Massage Envy. I have became a much better sales associate through this job. It has become much easier to talk to and relate to clients that come into our clinic. I can overcome objections if guests at the clinic are unsure about becoming a member. I am no longer nervous to speak to a stranger on the phone. I also have learned how to – more... handle difficult customers in the nicest and best way possible. I can take care of billing and the money aspect of Massage Envy. – less
Horrible Management/Horrible Job
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Rochester Hills, MichiganJuly 1, 2014
Pros: lunch breaks
Cons: bad management, disrespectful management
This is one of the worst jobs that I have even taken. The management trash talks both employees and clients each time they come in contact with them on the phone or in person. The atmosphere for a new employee is uncomfortable and the training is long, boring, and inadequate. I do not feel valued as an employee and feel like the management is talking – more... about me behind my back while I am in ear shot.
There are no benefits of any kind and the pay is just average. – less
good clients and therapist. bad owners and management
assistant manager (Former Employee), raleigh ncJune 28, 2014
I enjoyed my co-workers, however upper management is awful and really couldn't care less about their employees. huge turn-over rate.
Horrible place to work
Front Desk (Current Employee), Niskayuna, NYJune 26, 2014
Pros: discounted massages
Cons: hours, pay, upper management
I got hired Full time and since I have been with massage envy 5 people have quite including a manager for our sister location in NY. I get horrible hours ever since I started school. When I got hired I worked with my manager to best fit my school schedule around them and I still to horrible hours. Full time and only around 20-30 hours. My co-workers – more... are all young girls like myself so sometimes there can be a little drama but not that bad. Upper management does whatever they want and doesn't care if its against a policy or not. All of the front desks paychecks have gotten messed up 4 times since I started working here. – less
Massage Envys in the Palm Springs Area are the WORST
JCA (Former Employee), Palm Springs, CAJune 25, 2014
Pros: therapists and estys
Cons: sales associates, management, pay
This place is a joke!!! Sales associates are so lazy and unprofessional!!! Sales associates sit there on there phones and are super rude to guests and then they sit there and make fun of the guests!!! Management is a joke they never have your back and they hire MORONS!!!!!!!!! The pay here is AWFUL!!!!!The only saving grace for this place is the therapists – more... and estys because without them this location would fail!!!!!! – less
Do not waste your time
SA (Former Employee), Pittsburgh, PAJune 25, 2014
Pros: uh. none.
Cons: drama, lies, no decent pay, cut hours, stressful, no communication with mgmt
I worked at ME for over a year. At first it seemed pretty awesome, discount massages/facials, relaxing environment, awesome managers. It seemed ideal. I loved the managers when I first started. The other SA's were alright, but they were all young and could be catty. It quickly went downhill.

The managers slowly stopped doing their jobs. It would take – more... hours for them to respond to you, if they did at all, but demanded every decision be made through them. The LMT's for the most part were awful. AWFUL. They were mean and hateful to the SA's. To the point of harassment, which was ignored and swept under the rug. There were no reprimands for people who continually called off. Many nights, particularly Friday, I would work by myself for weeks in a row, because the other person would call off and there was no one else to help. The pay you get is not worth the stress. Sometimes it was downright disgusting to work there (i.e. having to dig through bags of dirty linens because they couldn't coordinate with the linen people properly, constantly scrubbing bathrooms because they didn't want to hire a plumber to fix the toilet that over flowed every time it was used). Everyone talked about everyone behind their backs. I was an adult, trying to work there to survive and pay my bills. During my interview I was promised after a probation period of 60 days I would get a raise, which I never did. There's an overabundance of ME in Pittsburgh, so sales can be hard to come by. And there was a period of several months where managers didn't pay attention during payroll, so commission wasn't paid.

I came on full time when everyone else was part time. It was all good for the first few months. Then at Christmas, when all the college kids came back, my hours were literally cut to 0 to accommodate them. I was told "you can ask them if anyone wants to give up shifts." the only shifts anyone wanted to give up were friday nights, sat/sun. The same thing happened in the spring when school let out. Both times I confronted my managers about it and was promised they would "revise the schedule" but nothing ever happened.

One of the worst parts of ME was the overselling of memberships during the holidays. We sold so many gift cards that the schedule had overbooked and they were understaffed. even months later it was still a mess. Clients constantly screaming because they can't get in and then when they do, their therapist would call off. And it was the same 3 or 4 people calling off all the time, with no punishment.

They took away our discount massages. We had to go to another location on a day off or we had to convince someone to come in early/stay late to give a massage. Eventually they threatened to dock our pay if we didn't park 3 buildings away, which is awful when you open or close.

There is no room for growth. If you're lucky, you can be an ACA or a CA but other than that, you're out of luck. Also, nepotism runs rampant there, so if you're not brown nosing it, you're basically bottom of the barrel.

The worst part is the oversight. They overlook so many things (harassment, theft, truancy, etc.) for the people they like, but if you're not in their group, you're accused of false things and asked to leave without any proof of what they're accusing you of.

If it had just been one or two things, it wouldn't be so bad. But add up all of the little things, and it turns into a nightmare. – less
Review
Junior Clinic Administrator (Former Employee), San Diego, CAJune 24, 2014
They need to focus more on customer service than sales. The job is too stressful for no reason sometimes. Turnover rate of employees is not good either. I worked with amazing people and amazing managers, and mass firings hurt our standings.

1 2 3 4 5

About Massage Envy

Massage Envy Limited, LLC is a national franchise of massage clinics dedicated to providing professional and affordable therapeutic – Read more