Massage Envy

Massage Envy United States Employee Reviews

Pleasant coworkers, hard to go to a job where you're not paid for all hours
Licensed Massage Therapist (Current Employee), Verona, NJApril 14, 2015
Pros: Easy to get days off, supplies provided, they do the taxes
Cons: No benefits (only healthcare full time), wage policies are not written down, unpaid side work and hours on the job
Every time I'm content to work here for the time being, something comes along to annoy me. Not being paid for cancellations, doing unpaid tasks, having to stay there while not scheduled with a client. And again not being paid. There are class action lawsuits going forward elsewhere and I can see them spreading.

This is not a client based model. I get clients already disatisfied with their previous sessions. Bad therapists, shorted on time. It's a shame they are paying monthly and have such a negative perception because therapists are either lazy or rushed. Some of us would rather cut into our breaks than short a client or push another therapist's schedule back.

We are assigned tasks here, usually once every couple of weeks. If you cannot do them quickly in between clients (and SOAP notes, bathroom, handwashing, dropping off client folder, filling out recommendations, changing linens, getting water and seeing client out), you do them during your break or after your shift. When you are not paid for that time.

Wage policies do not exist in any form, other than verbal. Sometimes. You may have to ask about getting paid for a certain situation, like a cancellation or front desk screw up. You may end up going without that money.

Treatment rooms are small and unventilated. There is heat/ac but no real airflow while you're working.

Now, for the good. Management and coworkers are usually pleasant to work with. Massage can be an isolated profession but here we take an interest in each other's welfare.

It's easy to get days off when requested ahead – more... of time, or in emergencies.

You can pretty much do whatever modality you're trained in. But not reiki. Oh God help you if you do reiki. Joking, but we are trusted to treat clients within our SOP and modalities we're best at.

The front desk booking your schedule are usually competent and care about keeping therapists booked. They are also considerate when adding breaks. We have a pretty friendly, low pressure group who get along well with the clients, too.

Treating this job as my own practice and giving my clients that level of care- I try to take this perspective and see other therapists doing the same. I enjoy massage and my regulars. The job itself is as simple or involved as you want it to be. But there is a tradeoff for this simplicity. – less
discrimination
Massage Therapist (Former Employee), Brookfield, WIApril 12, 2015
Pros: experience where not to work
Cons: Where not to work
Management picked favorites and if you didn't work excess hours and excess clients you would not advance in anyway.
Hours would be cut, clients would not be provided.
The Worst
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Chicago, ILApril 8, 2015
Pros: flexible/short hours, cheap massages/facials, friendly atmosphere
Cons: little pay, short breaks, high turnover rate, stressful
I don't even know where to begin...first, their dress code policy is ridiculous. MT's and SA's are forced to wear cheap polyester shirts with the company emblem on them, which, by the way, they don't even tell you a uniform is required until you're already hired. It's confusing because Managers can wear whatever they want, so unless you're a manager, you're gonna look like a slob everyday working there. It's like one step away from Micky D's level cheapness, which is ironic, because the owner's perceive the clinic as a "classy" spa. The pay is terrible, MT's live off of tips, and SA's never get raises unless they sell above %25 for a certain number of months, and it isn't even that much of a pay difference,
they don't care about employees in the least bit, all they care about is money. They claimed the position was for "Front Desk" and while many SA duties consist of reception-like tasks, all they're looking for is someone who is all about the hard sell. The practice of selling memberships is embarrassingly unethical. They give SA's a gimmicky script to memorize, and our meetings mostly consist of discussing ways to push people into buying memberships. We are trained to "overcome objections" which basically means to berate and bully guests into a membership, even if they say they aren't interested or can't afford it. And when someone doesn't sign up, the SA is often accused of not trying hard enough to sell them. The owner refuses to believe that there is any other reason as to why someone wouldn't join Massage Envy other than SA incompetence. The owners do absolutely nothing – more... to improve the aesthetic and organization of the clinic, the dirty laundry bins and lotion barrels are visible for customers to see, there are cracks in the floors, and clients are only offered a plastic cup of plain water, no tea or even water with lemon. they're too cheap to hire a janitor, so SA's have to clean bathrooms and change garbage's, and do laundry. We also have a high turnover rate, and are constantly understaffed, sometimes you'll be the only person at the front desk doing everything for hours and get no break. On top of that, customers are often rude, and try to scam their way into getting free or discounted services, or avoid paying their membership payments.
The only good things about Massage Envy are my coworkers, who are amazing, fun people, and even the managers are easy to get along with. They also work with you on your hours, and genuinely do seem to be understanding if you have a 2nd job or are in school. The MT's are also extremely professional and very talented in their work. Overall though, the franchise is overwhelming and just not worth the stress of working there. – less
great palce to work if want to be a massag therapist
Massage Therapist (Former Employee), Fort Collins, COApril 7, 2015
Performed consecutive 50-minute quality massage therapy sessions, while designing specific sessions based on clients individual needs. Promoted the health and wellness benefits to client`s receiving massage therapy. Help maintain professionalism and cleanliness of therapy rooms and common areas. Show knowledge of other various modalities, and provided customer service and communicate effectively with clients.
Horrible workplace full of drama and pettiness
Lead Sales Associate (Former Employee), Phoenix, AZApril 4, 2015
Pros: Cost-effective massages
Cons: No breaks, no respect
Massage Envy only cares about sales and money in the owner's pocket. The care and well-being of employees and clients is irrational to them. Yes, this is a right to work state, but I have seen them fire people for the most unreasonable situations. They treat massage therapists like massage assembly lines and do not care if they are over worked or need breaks. The front desk is usually very rude to clients, especially when they do not purchase a membership, or cancel membership. Maybe this is due to the fact that you have to maintain a certain sales percentage to keep your job. The worst part of the job was all the drama. Everyone constantly has issues with each other and feels the need to discuss their issues with everyone else. The management didn't seem to care about these issues, or the respect of the employees. I never felt at peace here. I felt very stressed and overwhelmed working here and would not recommend this place to anyone.
Extremely Poor
Massage Therapist (Former Employee), Sugarhouse, UtahApril 3, 2015
Pros: No Pros
Cons: Owners and Managers should be massage therapists.
Their policy is to not allow therapists to do their job as they were trained. The owners, at the Sugarhouse Massage Envy, are not massage therapists and have no idea what massage therapists do for a living. They are more concerned with making money then they are about pleasing their clients.
New Grads get in learn what you can.
Massage Therapist (Current Employee), las vegas, nvApril 2, 2015
Pros: new grads welcomed
Cons: not enough of a split. thiefs at front desk taking cash tips.
This is a good place to get your foot in the door if you are a new graduate. You will learn a lot and can either continue with them full time or work part time while you build a private practice or find another company that will pay you more of a split.
I was turned off by the fact that the ad said $35/hr and on the phone interview the supervisor said $35/hr and when it came to working oh, its $15/hr oooo k. I only continued because I just need to work and get my foot in the door somewhere and I enjoy what I do. Be careful of the front desk folk helping themselves to your tips. Seems like not only the estheticians and the therapist feel that they are not making what they are worth. It can be dog eat dog.
A great first start into the Massage Therapy Career
Massage Therapist (Former Employee), Layton, UtahApril 2, 2015
Pros: snacks, clientele, training.
Cons: low pay, no financial benefits.
Massage Envy is great to start as a starter job. Reason's are first, the training. Massage Envy is great on keeping up their employees on their training and sticking to the business quo. second, would be that ME provides for their employees, especially when it came to having snacks in the break room or keeping a good amount of oils, and cremes for massages. The scheduling is flexible and you always have clients no matter what.
Fun and busy environment
Front Desk Sales Associate (Current Employee), Pasadena, TXApril 2, 2015
Pros: Free lunch 1st Saturday of every month
Cons: Short breaks
Fun place to work, can be stressful at times. Management has it's ups and downs. Co-workers are awesome, love them. The hardest part is dealing with angry customers due to the membership policies. The most enjoyable part is knowing that your working somewhere that is helping people.
I loved the job.
Massage Therapist (Former Employee), Orland Park, ILMarch 31, 2015
I really enjoyed Massage Envy because the people there were nice. The commute was far, and the commission was great. I really enjoyed going to work everyday.
Great co-workers the Management of the franchise needs a little work.
Front Desk Associate (Current Employee), Fargo, NDMarch 28, 2015
Pros: Great co-workers, Nearly everyone gets along, and easy going job.
Cons: Very pushy on sales, Low wage for what your expected to do, 1/2hr non-paid lunches.
A typical day at massage envy for me would include opening the clinic by myself,counting the drawer from the night before and opening it for the day,getting files and charts ready for our clients to fill out or for our massage therapists to look over before their clients arrive. Cleaning room from top to bottom while making sure the front desk is running smoothly and making sure all of our clients are welcomed by someone standing up and greeting them professionally and asking if there is anything we can do for them before their service. We also have to make sure that laundry for the clinic is being done efficiently, and that the linens are being taken outside when they are full. At the end of the night we need to have both bathrooms and the break room clean for the next day along with all of the charts pulled for the next morning. The hardest thing about this job for me was how pushy the management was about sales,since the clinic was a membership based clinic. It was hard for me to sell the membership when we were having a hard time getting our members in for their monthly massages already. The Co-workers at the clinic are the only reason I've stuck around it's like a family there they are all very caring and fun to work with if one employee was hurt it was amazing how everyone worked together to help them out.
Productive Fun Spa Enviroment
Cashier/Customer Service/Sales, Front Desk (Current Employee), Grandview, OHMarch 27, 2015
Pros: free massage services and discounted products
Cons: short breaks
Very relaxing salon with great clientele. Organized and friendly staff. Very nice staff and pay rate. Free hair services included. Great training program!
Great employees wouldnt recommed working for the coachella valley locations worst management
sales rep/front desk (Former Employee), palm springsMarch 27, 2015
Pros: free massages if you dont get bumped
Cons: pay, employee treatment, management (owner), Over Pressured
Great employees wouldnt recommed working for the coachella valley,
your constantly being placed in useless "classes on sales" directed by incompetent people. the pay is by far the most deceiving thing of all. words alone couldn't describe this place all I can say is RUN!
Layed back, unorganized environment
Front desk/ Sales associate (Former Employee), Queen Creek, AZMarch 26, 2015
Pros: Desk job, works well if you are in school
Cons: Managers not there, 30 minute breaks, having to sell memberships
I first thought I would love this job. The hours I started out with were decent and the pay was better than minimum wage. But after the first 2 months my hours got cut nearly in half and it wasnt worth it. The managers were barely at the store, I was lucky to see them more than once a week.I found it weird that the associates closed and opened the stores alone. Some of the people there were fun to work with and I worked well with them, when others were demanding, lazy, and expected things to get done for them. The guests we had there were very nice and understanding. I would recommend this job to someone that is looking for a job where they do everything on their own, and wants an easy job.
Understanding supervisors that strive to always better the workplace
licensed massage therapist (Former Employee), Kirkland, WAMarch 24, 2015
I enjoyed working for Massage Envy of Kirkland. I was able to work and go to school and be a single mother without guilt or trouble from the management. I felt as thought they understood family first as well as the clients. I would go back to work for them if I wasn't having such a hard time with self-maintenance. It's getting to hard for me to do massage continually like that.
Massage Therapist (Current Employee), Murphy, TXMarch 23, 2015
Out of all of the massage places to work, this one has been one of the better ones. The management is great as is the owner. if you want to stay busy, this would be the place to work.
Busy and fun environment
Massage Therapist LMT (Current Employee), Severna Park, MDMarch 23, 2015
Great company to start your massage therapy career and book.
Co-workers are fabulous and supportive. Management could use some improvement on professionalism but overall supportive.
Wide range of clients which improves therapists variability.
horrible management
Licensed Massage Therapist (Former Employee), Mason, OHMarch 23, 2015
Pros: they hire right out of school-can get experience quickly
Cons: no healthcare, no work/life balance, no paid time off, no 401k
If you are fresh out of school, this is an ok place to get experience. Massage Envys are the McDonald's for massage. Pay is very low but tips are good for you are in a good location. If you dont have a client, you have to stay at the facility and do not get paid. Management is EXTREMELY unprofessional. They lie all the time, smack employees on the butt (they think its funny), talk about everyone behind their back, curse at emoloyees and even make you come into work sick. One of the terrible experiences I had was when I was bullied to come to work sick. I actually threw up during a massage (left the room and made it to the bathroom) so I went to the clinic administrator who told me to finish the massage and tell the client I just needed to sneeze and thats why I left the room. Management also lied about sending flowers to an employee's family member's funeral! Who does such a thing?! I would advise to only work here to get some experience (only if you cannot find anything else) and move on quickly.
build up your clientele fast
Esthetician (Current Employee), Huntersville, NCMarch 21, 2015
A very easy environment to work in and enjoyable management. your only focus is your clients and it allows you to focus on what matters there.
My typical work day
Massage Therapist (Current Employee), Atlanta, GAMarch 20, 2015
Pros: interaction with new clients daily
Cons: no room for growth in this industry
Interacting with clients on a daily basis with a positive additude ensuring that they are comfortable. Always promoting my clients to address any issues or concern that they may have. Working with co-workers daily as a team for everyone to grow.

1 2 3 4 5

About Massage Envy

Massage Envy Limited, LLC is a national franchise of massage clinics dedicated to providing professional and affordable therapeutic – Read more

Massage Envy Salaries