Massage Envy Employee Reviews in United States

Found 1,735 reviews matching the search
Terrible
Sales Associate/ Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Brownsville, TXApril 30, 2016
A 21 year old should not be in a managers position if she would rather play high school than actually deal with clients.

Due to her child-like look on a business, I quit.
Cons
POOR MANAGEMENT
Therapist base salary.
A past customer (Former Employee) –  IllinoisApril 30, 2016
Sad that a large, profitable company refuses to pay their massage therapists a decent base pay of $30/hr. Without them, they would be out of business. Plus they do not explain that gratuity is not already included in price. So, not only are the therapists slaving away, hourly for a poor base pay, but often get 0- less than a decent 15% tip. All profits are for massage envy& if that were not true, they would not be taking their profits & opening new sites. One day, it'll hit them where it hurts, when a new competitor will recognize their therapists & pay a decent base salary, thus attracting good therapists away from the giant M.E. the day is soon to come.
Pros
A place to start but not for long.
Cons
Base salary is below what a professional should receive.
Worst job ive ever worked
Front Desk Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Owasso, OKApril 30, 2016
This is by far the worst place of employment ive ever had. Its full of empty promises and lies. Management does not know how to run a businesss...all they know how to run is people out the door. Unless your looking for a job full of bs and drama dont apply!
Pros
Cons
No breaks, lies, drama, horrible boss
Marketing Manager
Marketing Manager (Current Employee) –  Tyler, TXApril 29, 2016
I have been in Management for several years at many different job, Massage Envy has taught me the most. I have made many great connection and love working here. The owners are wonderful people and a pleasure to work for!
Fun, independent workplace. Poor Management.
Wellness Consultant (Former Employee) –  Dumfries, VAApril 29, 2016
I quite enjoyed working here but the constant shift in managerial staff and lack of training made it stressful for the first couple weeks. However, the other staff were more than patient and taught new employees everything they needed to know. It was a fun work environment because we had set things we had to do and it wasn't often busy due to the nature of the business.
Pros
A free massage once every 3 months and each employee received another one for their birthday.
Cons
No accountability or manager on site to over see the work being done.
Long hours, pushy sales, and not given promised promotion
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Mentor, OHApril 28, 2016
Went to massage envy to start a career as an esthetician. I was a sales rep for a few months waiting to transition, and when it came time to a co-worker went behind my back and told my manager I did not have my managers license with my regular state license. I was never informed during my TWO interviews that I would need a managers license as well. We always would talk about my transition into the position and not once was it brought up, I hate sales only did it to become familiar with the work place and then I have my promising job taken away from me.
Productive and Fun Work Place
Business Manager (Current Employee) –  Tulsa, OKApril 27, 2016
Massage Envy has great advancement opportunities. A typical day can be hectic, but fun. I enjoy the diverse company culture, and encouragement from upper management.
Pros
Fun and Fast Paced
Cons
No Cons!
great place to start
Massage Therapist (Current Employee) –  Norcross, GAApril 26, 2016
Great place to start off and figure out the type of therapist you really are and earn money while doing what you love. Very positive atmosphere and encouragement.
Doesn't Care About it's Workers
Licensed Massage Therapist (Former Employee) –  Whitefish Bay, WIApril 26, 2016
Worked very hard for over a year for Massage Envy.

Typical day at work was being rushed to clean up between clients and get the next one on the table within 5 minutes. This is not long enough to change the sheets and forget it if you have to go to the restroom. By the second or third client you are already lagging and usually have to stay half an hour late to make up for the difference.

I learned not to work at cookie cutter businesses.

Management was ok but really wasn't understanding if you needed a legitimate sick day and tried to guilt you to come in. I was also discouraged by management because of the sheer corporate feel of the company.

Co workers were just as overworked as I was.

Hardest part of the job was that there was a high bar to advance.

Most enjoyable part was caring for my clients and making sure they received the best I could give them.
Great atmosphere with a caring management team
manager/ sales associate (Current Employee) –  El Cerrito, CAApril 25, 2016
The culture of the spa is wonderful, where the employees truly care about their clients. The most enjoyable part of the job is witnessing clients health improve overtime with the help of massage. The hardest part of the job is dealing with difficult clients. I have learned a lot at this job, I learned management skills, communication skills, and how to handle objections.
Pros
Flexible Schedules, friendly staff
Cons
no healthcare, no benefits, quick turn over rate
Don't waste your time.
Massage Therapist (Former Employee) –  Myers Park, NCApril 24, 2016
This place is rubbish. I gave them 100% everyday for 6.5 years. There was a time when it was an awesome place to work for. Management was spot on but a lot has changed. The owners pay very little for their front of the house staff and it show in their lack of professionalism.
Never having a complaint, no wright ups and only missing 2 days over the last 6.5 years. Out of the blue the replace me with a few new hires paying them less than what I made.
I was told " you are no longer a good fit" 😈
They were exactly right, I've outgrown them.
Beware of Massage Envy Myers Park, South Park and Gastonia locations. All three are owned by the same people.
Don't waste your time here. The management is young and their work ethics reflect it. The owners only care about their profits.
Pros
The clients were awesome.
Cons
What management?
Very steady clientele
Employer as Licensed (Former Employee) –  Charleston, SCApril 23, 2016
Reserved, but overall.. Was good to be able to work there, most coworkers were nice, everyone had work to do, and clients were coming back in weekly basis what is good for the therapists.
Pros
Free massage per month and some free classes
Cons
not plenty of benefits compared to others Massage Envy Franchises
Calm Workplace with a touch of an everyday work environment
Front Desk Associate (Current Employee) –  North Wales, PAApril 22, 2016
A typical day at Massage Envy is busy due to clients checking in and out, handling customer service issues and the phones ringing. Working at Massage Envy for the past 2 years, I have learned that communication is very important. Speaking with clients and letting your co-workers know what is being talked about between you and the client is very crucial to having great customer service. I also learned to prioritize a situation or a job duty. When it comes to management, things could be better. There have been 3 different managers at this location since I started working here 2 years ago. The first Manager was the owners' daughter, the second manager was the Assistant Manager, but was let go because she did not do anything while being in the position and the last Manager was a manager from another location and she did not take certain things into consideration when it comes to location to location. A lot of the employees began to leave when the last manager came to the clinic because she was supposed to help the clinic, but she was only hurting her employees. She would call her Assistant Manager lazy, she would take hours from the original therapists and give them to the therapist she brought over from her other clinic, and she would tell us that there would be something that we could not do, then she would do it. For instance, we are allowed a free massage each month, but we can not get them on the weekends or at night. My Assistant Manager asked if she could get a massage when her shift was over, which was 3PM. The Manager told her no, but she was scheduled for a massage the  more... following evening at 8pm. When it comes to my co-workers, I am so grateful to be able to work with them. Most of them have become very close friends of mine. Of course no matter where you go to work there is always one person that you just do not get a long with, but I made the best of it. The hardest part of the job was convincing someone to purchase a massage membership package. Some people look at it as a luxury and some people really need it for therapeutic reasons. Although there is a lot that can happen in one day at Massage Envy, the most enjoyable part of my day would be just being there.  less
Pros
Free snacks, limitless breaks, free massage with an enhancement each month
Cons
There is a pay scale for everything including the bonuses
Lots of work, under appreciated front desk staff
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Colleyville, TXApril 21, 2016
I learned so many skills that have helped me deal with difficult people because of the customers there. I maintained clinic cleanliness, kept people happy, and booked appointments. I learned how to effectively manage my time by balancing a busy job with my education.
The job that made me quit ANY sales posistion
Front Desk Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Brentwood, CAApril 21, 2016
When you go to your interview, they will tell you the job is non-commission based. LIE. Your "non-commissioned" pay lasts only until the end of extended training where the managers let the co-workers train their employees because half of them are training themselves. They constantly hounded me to memorize a sales script, then said I was too robotic to the point it made me not want to memorize any of the pitch.

Then the kicker, once training ends if you do not meet 25% sales commission, expect to have your hours and your pay cut with a chainsaw to unworkable conditions. The management was almost never in the office. Gossip occurred constantly, no benefits and the most unprofessional training I have ever witnessed in my life, because the management expects Co-workers to do all of that work for them. When I struggled to memorize the sales pitch (because the company changes policies at the drop of a hat) they management basically went cold, and said they were willing to do whatever it took to get their FDA's to sell memberships, but exhibited zero follow through on this promise.

My "free massage" actually made my back worse after back-planting into the shower, and if your thinking about sick-time forget it. Co-workers were friendly, but they should NEVER have to be put in the position of having to do the managers jobs of training!!! It doesn't matter how well you perform even remotely, this company is a bait and switch and sales is all that matters. When most clients come out of a relaxing massage, most do not want to become pressured into a membership, but every training
  more... seminar consists of FDA's being taught how to coerce people through bullying tactics into buying memberships, either through guilt indoctrination, overt prying into people's personal lives or simply lying outright. They will lie to you and tell the FDA's that you must memorize the sales script Verbatim, but the management doesn't even follow the sales pitch exactly. If you are able to sell, why should it matter how you make the approach? NO FLEXIBILITY whatsoever, minimum wage pay, forget work/life balance you would have better luck finding such a balance at a sweatshop. A business based in massage needs to focus more on customer service and the well being of employees, but constant micro-management and lies turned me off this place immediately. I couldn't even finish training, I realized the job was offering few incentives or benefits, little time for school, overworked, underpaid and BEYOND unprofessional training. When your managers are training with the employees and are also expected to train FDA's, expect a high turnover rate.

Bottom Line: This job has ensured that any job I work in the future will NEVER be a sales position. Place the well-being of customers and your employees over turning profits, and you might be able to maintain a respectable business. You will be lied too and told that this job is non-commission, but when you attend the mandatory training seminars you will learn that nothing matters other than the bottom line of meeting a 25% to 35% sales commission. If you perform well but disagree with any company policy, expect belittlement, your wages and hours cut, and your self-respect destroyed.
Pros
Friendly Co-workers, decent commute, slightly above average minimum wage
Cons
Terrible management, non-existent training, constant employee gossip, bullying tactics, underpaid, the flexibility of a rigid board of wood, inconcievably unorganized and unprofessional training done by employees, managers who almost never show up.
Owners make ALL the difference
Clinic Administrator (Former Employee) –  Schertz, TXApril 21, 2016
Depending on where you work, and who owns the clinic you work for, can make or break your experience with Massage Envy.
I worked for owners who own two locations, and in the extremely brief period of time I was there, the turnover was constant. Sales Associates were all overworked, miserable, and felt constantly micromanaged, and always in fear of losing their job for "not using the exact language", not being open to schedules being changed multiple times in a week. The micromanagement by the owner was relentless and stressful. Even when you made a customer happy, you were criticized for not using EXACT "verbage" that the owner wanted you to use, therefor making any interaction you may have had with customers, while she was present, very unnatural and uncomfortable. Continually feeling scrutinized, for not using someone elses "script" (not even the one that corporate provided) gave you a feeling of unease, and often times made you look and feel incompetent and like you were not knowledgeable about the wellness program. It was horrible.
Interesting this is, I (along with other employees at this location) have worked for other ME's in other locations, for different owners. And it was those positive experiences that lead us to come to work for this location. Sadly, one bad owner completely sours the entire experience.
Pros
Good training (if you're with the right location), Friendly staff, free monthly massages, OK work life balance (depending on the location you're with)
Cons
far too many, horrible owners ruin a great concept, SA position has a lot of duties and have to recite a terrible sales script, commission is EXTREMELY low for what the anual membership fees bring into the clinic
Fun
Esthetician (Current Employee) –  Grove City, OHApril 18, 2016
Great place for a fresh out of school esti! Lots of learning skills and management works well with you to reach your goals.
Great job for college students
Junior Clinic Administrator (Current Employee) –  Jackson, MSApril 16, 2016
The atmosphere is great for students, however, it is a lot of cleaning. The culture is great and it's a really great place to grow job skills and even advance in management. The only thing is that it is not the ideal full-time position. The schedule can be inconsistent and sometimes overwhelming.
Pros
Commission, Meeting new people
Cons
Inconsistent scheduling
Massage Envy
Receptionist/Shift Lead (Former Employee) –  Plymouth, MNApril 15, 2016
A typical day at massage envy was different day to day but overall assisting clients before and after their massage, selling memberships, making outbound calls, answering inbound calls and opening/closing the clinic.
Pros
enjoyable job
Cons
hours and pay
wonderful place to work
Sales Associate/Manager (Former Employee) –  Southlake, TXApril 13, 2016
Very Friendly Environment and the Crew makes you feel like Family. Managers help out when it is needed and it is a very stress free workplace.