Massage Envy

Massage Envy Employer Reviews

NOT A GOOD PLACE TO WORK AT!!!! DO NOT WORK HERE!!!!!!!!
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Fayetteville, NCMarch 20, 2014
Pros: nothing!!!!!!!!!
Cons: everything!!!!!!!!!!
When I first started working at ME, it was awesome til I met the rest of the fda's. They were hateful and rude. If they weren't tellin me how they were gonna take my sales cuz I wasn't experienced enough, they were tellin me what I did wrong with anything I was working with.. I was written up for everything. If I didn't respond to a manager with a "yes, – more... I understand", I was being written up for that. When my percentage went higher than everybody else, they started to blame me for everything that went wrong and wrote me up again for what I didn't do right. The management team could not agree on anything. One manager said to do this, but when I did it in front of another manager, all of the sudden, I'm wrong and gotten written up for that too. It is a great working environment if ur a ppl person. But, for how much stuff u have to deal with everyday,its not worth the pay u receive. And money is getting taken out of ur check if u book an appointment wrong.The managers talk to u like a child n ur always doing something wrong in the eyes of ANY manager. The ME in Fayetteville is not doin too well. The computer system is not accurate. The managers don't give respect and although it does have good prices, there is no way u can expect to advance. When u do get hired there, expect to be walked over n the long run. The district manager is so cheap, he didn't even buy a new printer for the store. Things get broken all the time and unless u know how to verbally argue with somebody to prove ur right, this job is not for u. It requires rude, hateful n nasty employees. No FDA at the ME n Fayetteville, except for one person, has been there longer than a year. Don't look for a friend there, either. They help u n ur face, then they talk about n write u up behind ur back. DO NOT WORK HERE!!!!!!!! FOR THE SAKE OF KEEPING A JOB, DO NOT WORK HERE!!!!!!!!! – less
Great entry level job
Clinic Administrator (Former Employee), Charlottesville, VAMarch 20, 2014
Pros: great bonuses
Cons: poor communication
Great talented massage therapist. Beautiful and clean enviorment to work in.
This is a non secure working atmosphere.
Esthetician (Former Employee), Carmel, INMarch 19, 2014
Pros: cash tips from clients
Cons: non a good source of income for estheticians
This company has high turn over, and they tend to terminate almost everyone before the ninety day period. They do not want to offer insurance.
Helping people work the stress out of their muscles and relax their minds
Massage Therapist (Current Employee), Largo, FLMarch 18, 2014
This is a great place to work. Many clients come in for therapeutic massage and muscle care. Athletes, runners, restaurant workers, as well as desk jockeys come in with muscle pain and tension and as a massage therapist, I am able to help them alleviate some, if not most of that pain.
This is a very fulfilling job.
fun, exciting, relaxing
Front Desk (Former Employee), Arvada, CoMarch 18, 2014
I enjoyed working here because I was able to use my computer skills and work with others.
Hostile work environment
Massage Therapist (Current Employee), Long Beach, CAMarch 17, 2014
Pros: fellow therapists have been supportive
Cons: the owner has been a challenge
This has been a very hostile work environment. The business can't keep front desk representatives. There has been a very high front desk turnover, with bad training, poor client scheduling, and inconsistency that has led many clients to cancel their membership.
The break room has 2 chairs for the 14+ staff, with no table to eat our meals. We've ben – more... told not to use the exit door, or use cell phones in any manner while in the break room. There is video surveillance in the break room and outside the restrooms, and suspected listening devices as well.
Our lead therapist was demoted and replaced with another person who was more willing to share gossip with the owner. We have been told by the management that we are no longer allowed to maintain friendship with past employees.

That said, I have enjoyed working with clients, meeting their massage therapy needs, and feel like I have learned a lot through this experience. – less
Calm and comfortable environment with therapeutic perks.
Front Desk Representative (Current Employee), Trumbull, CTMarch 13, 2014
Pros: complimentary massage and facials, discounts on services and products
Cons: compensation/benefits are not enough, not allowed to sit during shift
This job is a nice place to work with friendly guests and coworkers. It is all about helping people feel better and relax. The therapists love their work and are passionate. The job is mostly sales and as a front desk associate you are required to sell memberships, product, and services.
great concept and mostly great amazing co workers
sales associate (Former Employee), ps caMarch 13, 2014
Pros: i like what i do
Cons: bad apples, bad comission
My personal review overall I love working at massage envy I have some awesome co workers of course we have our bad apples or should i say bitter people that just make the enviroment literally walking on egg shells however overall without those people and negative vibes the work place is amazing, although I do the commision/ pay was more rewarding other – more... than making their employees feel like their living paycheck to paycheck surviving like slaves. theres pros and cons to everything in life its life simple as that you can either make lemonaid with the lemons that life gave you or you can paint them gold and sell them and make the best of it the choice is yours. – less
Not worth the pay.
Front desk (Former Employee), Atlanta, GAMarch 11, 2014
Pros: discount massages and facials
Cons: no set schedule, open on holidays, open 7 days a week
I worked for Massage Envy for quite a few years, as a front desk person. A very stressful environment. High turnover rate, meaning you have to pick up slack for not having enough employees. Management does not have your back when it comes to clients. They tend to believe them over you. I would find some where else to work.
Waste of Time
Sales Associate (Former Employee), NCMarch 9, 2014
Pros: they said i could get discounted massages but at $8/hr, how could i afford it?
Cons: everything from what i saw
Interviewed, it was a group interview, which no one had been warned about. Other applicants looked as disgusted as I am sure I did. We were all crammed into a tiny room after being made to wait for over an hour. Questions were randomly thrown out, and so you had almost 20 people trying to talk at once. Applicants slowly started walking out. For those – more... that stayed, we were there 3 hours. The ad had stated the pay for the Sales Associate position was $11-$15 an hour. That was a lie. The pay was $8 an hour with the possibility of earning commission on packages sold. I had interviewed at another Massage Envy and their ad stated $14 an hour. But yes again, it was $8. I actually worked at that location for about 30 minutes before walking out and saying I changed my mind. The reason: I was told I did not have to memorize the script, I could personalize it, that was a complete lie and I got reprimanded unprofessionally for it. Also, the sales associates that were working there already told me the job openings were due to them leaving because there was NO money to be made. Due to competition, there were not a lot of new customers to sell these package to and business was very slow. They said you had sales goals and would get fired for not hitting them. Plus, they said it was always too many people working at the counter, so that made it even harder to make a sale. So yes, I walked out on the job. I was not impressed with this business and would never work here again or even be a customer. – less
Growing Experience
Assistant Clinic Administrator (Former Employee), Westport, CTMarch 5, 2014
At massage envy I started as a front desk sales associate but then quickly emerged into management. At first I truly enjoyed the job and overseeing my employees but then I found the other manager not being productive. I learned a lot about people and how they work and also how to manage a large team. At massage envy I was managing over 30+ employees – more... 30 being massage therapist and about 10 being front desk sales associates. It was my job to set and reach goals for sales and many other topics. The only problem was that if I would set standards for the employees when I was on duty manager things would run smoothly and as I liked but when I was not on duty the other manager was not enforcing standards I had set. This made me unhappy with the company and eventually in me resigning from the position. – less
Loved it!
Sales Associate (Current Employee), El Paso, TXMarch 4, 2014
Pros: flexible hours, usually busy
Cons: keep up certain percentage
Love working here. Excellent way to get into more sales driven jobs.
Sometimes fun, mostly busy and fast paced
Front Desk/ Sales (Former Employee), ArizonaMarch 3, 2014
Pros: $20 massages, discounted murad products
Cons: employees appointments would get bumped.
My experience at Massage Envy was terrible.
I often would break down at home and would feel miserable because it was an unstable/stressful job and they really don't pay you enough to make a living. In this job market, you need job security and you need to feel confident, which I felt neither at Massage Envy and the managers did a great job at destroying – more... my sense of job security and wanting to grow within this company.
I felt unappreciated and there is a lot of pressure to sell (using the robotic script Which is 2 pages long, You have to learn it word for word and be prepared to recite it at any given moment if a manager asks you to, which can make you very nervous if you need to drop what your doing to recite a script which you do not believe in)

This was my first official sales job. I only received two days of training (like 8 hours total) and was told it would be easy to sell memberships (which is not. Most guests who came in to get a massage had received a gift card or we're not in the financial situation to sign up for a membership.)

The best part about working the front desk is the busy work (filing, booking appts, cleaning, etc) and having diverse coworkers who are supportive and helpful. However, some of the managers are harsh and would write you up for anything. (There are a lot of managers and people who are above you that you need to answer to and who may lecture you if you make a mistake.)
The best piece of advice I would give if your wanting to work there is that it is a strong sales job and you have to feel totally comfortable selling and knowing your products.
Front desk associates have monthly gift card, membership and retail goals. Most locations require 20-30% membership goals and if you're not hitting your goal, you will get fired (as most retail/sales environments there is a high turnover rate)
There is no tolerance for not hitting your goals except I discovered that some locations are more lenient and understanding than others. For example, some locations may not count out of town members (guests who are visiting ) or underage clients against your membership goal (you are assigned new or second time guests daily, meaning they are who you will be pitching your script to). Unfortunately the location I worked at was not supportive and the clinic administrator was inexperienced and mainly fired people because she had hired people that were not given proper training and we're expected to know everything in no time (Like me and many others)

Best of luck to anyone who is wanting to apply.
Just remember that its not for everyone and there are plenty of other companies's who appreciate their employees and respect their therapists/front desk! – less
Not worth the time
Aesthetician (Former Employee), Hendersonville, TNMarch 2, 2014
Cons: management, unethical, unsympathetic and self centered
I went through a 3 week process with Massage Envy to get hired, the first week was a phone interview, the second week was a face to face interview, and the third week was a practicum facial on the lead aesthetician. Everything went well, they asked me would I like to work with them and we came up with a start date. My start date was 2/26/14. I quit – more... my job to work there because this was my "dream job/career", I knew that this wouldn't be a get rich job but I would finally be able to utilize my license. I went in on 2/26/14 ready to learn and start this new journey. The next day I received a text that we would not train that day and not to come in 2/27/14. The next day 2/28/14 I went in for my second of training only to be told that they decided to hire someone else. I drove 35 minutes to the job for them to tell me in 10 minutes that they didn't want me to work with them. There reasoning because they felt I wouldn't be there as an employee for a long time. But I quit a previous job that was paying me way more than what they would be paying me to work for them because again it was my "dream job" and I wanted to work in the field I had just previously got my license in but now guess what I have no job at all. When I explain to them that I quit my job, purchased the insurance that they required I purchased before I started to work there, bought pants to adhere to their uniform all they said was I'm so sorry. It was unethical, wrong and it's messing with my livelihood. And to top it off they claim they were concerned about my commute from my house to the job, but I drove 35 minutes for them to tell me that they didn't want me there anyway. What concern they had? It was all a bunch of mess and I wouldn't recommend working for them or even becoming a member for massages or facials. They don't care about anyone but themselves. I'm very disappointed by how was treated and they had no reason to treat me that way. – less
awful environment
Esthetician (Former Employee), Chicago, ILMarch 1, 2014
Pros: clients are lovely
Cons: filthy establishment, no structure, unfair business practices, bad compensation, incompetent management and owners.
I worked for massage envy as an esthetician for just under a year. I was split between 2 of the "prestige" Chicagolsnd clinics. My experience with this company was extremely demoralizing. I was originally brought in to replace the lead esthetician and worked my tail off for months. Not only was management a joke but, the idea of a structured work environment, – more... procedure and establishing a standard of quality was unheard of to these people. I worked my way up from 3 days a week to 6 days a week and built my numbers up consistently becoming top seller the process. It was all for nothing. 7 months after i started, the product manager brought her sister in, promoted her over everyone and put a policy in place that every 3months, top seller would be able to choose her/his schedule of choice regardless of what that meant for everyone else. After said individual was promoted over everyone, our schedules were changed to accommodate her and our clients we'reĀ given discounts to get facials with her. Nepotisim at its finest. After that, it was over. The place went to hell in a hand basket. I write an email requesting a meeting and the owners didn't even acknowledge what was happening. Don't be fooled, this place is a glorified chop shop. They care nothing about the clients they have. – less
Very nurturing and fun place to work!
Front Desk Receptionist (Current Employee), Brentwood, TNFebruary 28, 2014
Pros: very flexible on scheduling, and breaks
Cons: half of your pay is commission.
I really love my clients as well as my coworkers! Massage Envy encompasses complete professionalism at all time.
Just another chain that you pay more for than what you get
Massage Therapist (Current Employee), Kemah, TXFebruary 26, 2014
Cheap aromatherapy products, decent services. Co-workers sketchy. Products suck,
Terrible
sales associate (Former Employee), massage envy, cincinnatiFebruary 25, 2014
Pros: free massages, friendly clients
A typical day was taking phone calls, doing all the cleaning and laundry, selling people memberships, and scheduling appointments. I learned sales isn't for me but I was told in my interview the selling would be easy. The training is two weeks long and the managers who had successful sales rates don't even train you. Your co-workers do, and the turn – more... over rate is so high, your co-workers are almost as new as you. The management is poor. The meetings would consist of being "cussed out" and if they didn't want you there, they would do everything in their power to make you quit just so they don't have to give you unemployment. The co-workers and managers sit around and talk poorly about each other behind their backs. If you think you've made a friend at massage envy, think twice. The best part of the job was the relationships developed with clients. The hardest part of the job was coming in every day being scared you would be yelled at or sworn at. Constantly worrying you did something wrong or said something you shouldn't have. – less
unstable envirionment with poor management
Massage therapist (Former Employee), Columbia, SCFebruary 22, 2014
former employee, and being new to the field was excited to get started and learn new techniques etc. The Sandhill location has poor management and the owners are oblivious to the needs of its employees and clients. Wouldn't recommend this job to ANYONE!
Great Spa!
Massage Therapist (Former Employee), Colorado Springs, COFebruary 19, 2014
Massage Envy Rocked! I loved this spa however in the start of my divorce I moved back to Mo and had to leave my job.

About Massage Envy

Massage Envy Limited, LLC is a national franchise of massage clinics dedicated to providing professional and affordable therapeutic – Read more