Massage Retreat & Spa

Massage Retreat & Spa Employee Reviews in United States

Crooked company
Esthetician (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNJuly 15, 2016
I worked here for 3 months. Within the three months I found out that corporate was running a scheme where to make their "numbers" they would charge their customers hoping that they wouldn't notice the overcharge. You also only get paid when you are working. Otherwise you sit making nothing. They also only pay 20% commission. They need to be put out of business.
A place for the motivated to excel!
Massage Management (Current Employee) –  New Hope, MNMay 16, 2016
I have been with the company for an extended period of time. I have seen growth from 1 spa to 7! If you are willing to work hard, be invested and be a team player then MRS is the place for you. Whether you are just starting out as a therapist or you are a veteran, there is a place for you here. We currently have the STRONGEST team of GMs I have seen in this company. Now is the time if you are thinking about making a job change. There is opportunity to advance in the company if you choose. Opportunities for therapist to lead and mentor. Opportunities for front desk to build responsibilities and leadership.
Pros
Advancement opportunities, competitive pay, professional therapists
Fun, energetic, enjoyable work place.
Esthetician (Current Employee) –  Maple Grove, MNApril 8, 2016
I think Massage Retreat and Spa is a great place to go to work with talented people, you learn something new everyday, the team there is phenomenal. However like most places all jobs have their up and downs. MRS is doing everything they can to make things more organized, and easier for us therapists. When I first started I felt so welcomed, everyone was so willing to help, they jumped at the opportunity, I fit right in immediately, nothing is worse than starting a new job and taking a few days or weeks to click with your peers, not able to get along right away. I didn't feel that way at all. I not only feel appreciated working there, but I also appreciate management for doing whatever they can do to accommodate us. One thing I can always count on is getting a paycheck, and that's what it all comes down too, is this place going to make me money? Yes. Yes, you will make money. Being fresh out of school though it's going to be tough, but all the therapists have tips and tricks to help you build your business. My favorite about Massage Retreat and Spa is they WANT to see you succeed. They aren't greedy like most place who only care about numbers. They care about the therapists.
Pros
wellness plan, opportunities to earn more money, great product line
Cons
communication
Don't get screwed over
Esthetician (Former Employee) –  Edina, MNJuly 7, 2015
In a typical day you had management who would act very unprofessional or even cuss at you at times. Youre expected to upsell yet not given a reasonable time period to get it done in. Also we were being cheated out of what was supposed to be our hourly wages. And were scheduled on our breaks which was completely illegal.
Pros
Discounted skincare
Cons
Where do I begin?
Could be better or worse
massage therapist (Former Employee) –  Shoreview, MNApril 23, 2015
I worked for the Shoreview location mostly in the evenings and the weekends for a brief 3-4 month period, and I am uncertain that I would recommend the employment to any of my associates. Even though I enjoyed the staff, the location and being able to practice massage without worrying about a paycheck, there were things that I couldn't overlook while working there.

1) This place (MR&S) pays by the massage, like may other places, but this place pays your wage in the form of HOURLY pay ($15-$16/hr. regardless of your professional work history and experience.) They DO take care of providing space, business cards, linens, massage supplies, reporting tips, some professional training, etc. They may even pay for your license if you get into the right location.) The $25-$50.00/hr. you see on job boards for many mill spas like this, includes tip (if the customer tips, and if they don't follow the "recommended tipping guideline" hanging on the wall by the door in every room that recommends less than the 15-20% I've seen at other actual spas. You will also be asked how many massages you can do before you need a break... break usually translates into one hour for lunch. 3 or 4 on one off and the remainder on makes an 8-9 hour shift. I never received a break during the week - I always worked 4 massages regardless. No break was available.

2) MR&S did pay for my insurance and member ship with a professional network upon employment. They also took the money out of my check, which made it easier to take care of the payments, but was kind of hard on the take home pay.

3) You may be
  more... told anything to get you in the door - When I first sat down with the recruiter, I was led to believe that I would be making a certain rate of pay. I shortly found out that I was going to not make that rate, and was told by another therapist at my location, that if anyone found out what rate I did make (even though it was less than what I was advised), it could possibly cause trouble because there were therapists making a dollar less an hour than I was. I didn't apply to care about other people's rate of pay. I expected a certain kind of compensation, was told I was going to be provided that compensation, and then wasn't. I wasn't going to fight about a dollar, especially when if no one showed up to my book, I wasn't going to be paid anyway. This location did not charge for books that did not make their appointments or for late cancelations.

4) Be prepared for no breaks, no lunches, and bad booking practices! The responsibility of originally scheduling your lunch is, well, YOURS, but, I was able to lock in a time slot. I did find that I was asked daily to move the lunch slot (especially on weekends) to fill a book. I found that booking was inconsistent, not done with either the client OR the therapist in mind. There are therapists that can't do deep tissue, and they were constantly booked with people who wanted deep tissue.) There were no buffers. 5 minutes between sessions with no break between is not good for the body, and sometimes, you just need a break OR you need to do paperwork.

5) Management was never available to the staff, and when they were, they were insulting. I don't know if the spa manager is still there, but based on her alone, I would not recommend the employment. She also didn't grasp the concept of scheduling.

6) Expect your "session" to be shorter than 50 minutes, and expect to have no say on the kind of client you will be working on.

7) The Massage Therapists are wonderful! The best group of people I could ever work with. at the time I worked there, only a few had over 5 years experience, but every single one of the therapists were professional, fun, understanding, knowledgeable, and overall a great group of people to work with.

There are other things that I noticed, but those were the ones that are still stuck in my brain after not working there for quite some time.
Pros
great therapists, discounts and free facial or body work
Cons
management, scheduling and booking
Great work environment and employees
Sales Manager (Current Employee) –  PlymouthMarch 10, 2015
I started at Massage Retreat & Spa as a part-time Sales Representative; I honestly was not thinking career, I just needed a job for a short time where I could make quick money. I thought while I was working I could look for other jobs. However, since starting I've worked closely with leadership and management to develop professional skills, improved sales and customer service skills and learned more about business. I have been promoted twice since starting at MRS. This "part-time job" has now become my career and shows where you can go if you're passionate about what you do. My advice is to love your job; if you don't it's not worth it.
Pros
employees/co-workers, team environment, wellness reimbursement
I did not like this place
Massage Therapist (Former Employee) –  Plymouth, MNJanuary 18, 2015
Not much to say here except, I did not enjoy my time working here at all.
Pros
some of the staff & clints were nice
Cons
some of the staff & clients were rude.
AMAZING place to work if you are a hard worker and like reaping the rewards!
Spa Manager (Current Employee) –  Maple Grove, MNSeptember 28, 2014
It's not often in companies that you are able to advance yearly, but I work hard and the upper management always have my back and are constantly supporting me to help me learn and grow as a manager. I have direct help in my success from everyone from my direct manager all the way up to the president, and most companies are not that involved in the success of just one employee. They welcome with open arms suggestions for improvement and work to ensure that their employees are HAPPY at work, not just productive.
I had to work hard to get where I am, yet I 110% believe that if you are willing to work hard and have an open mind to instruction from management, this company believes in it's employees and will follow them to the ends of the earth.
Pros
creative ways to encourage employees (parties, swag, take you out to really nice dinners, fun gifts), excellent support from upper managment, great bonus potential, positive work environment
Cons
sales goals can be daunting, retail hours
Only work here if you like being a pushy salesperson!!!
Front desk (Former Employee) –  Maple groveAugust 5, 2014
I worked at the maple grove location and couldn't get out of there quick enough! The management in this spa alone is TERRIBLE! Their massage lead minds eveybodys business but his own, the manager is pushy and comes and goes as she pleases, they force you to force membership sales down clients throats. The therapists are all snotty and think they're better than everybody else. It's a very "he said/she said" kind of environment. I felt like I was in high school. And honestly, don't be a person of color working here because they'll treat you like you don't understand English and always nod their heads and say "okay" and try to walk all over you.
A fun place to work with a relaxing atmosphere.
Massage Therapist (Current Employee) –  Savage, MNMay 27, 2014
During my shift I give on average four massages a day. This would include a full body massage with add on's such as heat packs or foot scrubs. I also do soap notes after the massage that lets us keep track of how the client is doing when they first come in and after the treatment has begun.
prpductive and fun
Esthetician (Former Employee) –  Plymouth, MNApril 23, 2014
guest
massage
hotstone therapy
great management
awesome co-workers
typical spa rare opportunity for advancement
Massage Therapist (Former Employee) –  Maple Grove, MNJanuary 27, 2014
Learned a lot about the massage industry while fine tuning my skills. Management was not willing to be cooperative in schedule changes. Co-workers were friendly and gave tips on how to improve techniques. Hardest part of the job was dealing with management and doing tasks that were not paid. Being asked to go to another city without details about licensing in that city.
Pros
friendly co-workers
Cons
management unwilling to be flexible with schedules, not providing information on licensing in other citites when asked to cover them
great place for therapist
Massage Therapist (Former Employee) –  Maple Grove, MNOctober 16, 2013
i enjoyed working at this facility.i had great hours and i had fun working as a team.
Horrible job
Front Desk (Former Employee) –  Savage, MNJuly 18, 2013
This place is absolutely horrible. I am so glad that I no longer work there. Management sucks. They were never there when they were scheduled. My pay checks were never right. The new assistant manager would clock you in and out for breaks that you never even got to take because you worked all day by yourself. The therapists were pretty nice for the most part but too catty for me. Every one talked about every one else as soon as their backs were turned. You get accused of things that happen even when you are not there. Management does not care about your health at all. If you are sick you better find a way to get in there. High turn over rate. There were almost 3 managers come and leave just while I worked there which was not long at all. You get yelled at constantly about numbers. You force people into buying packages that suck. They lie to their customers. "If you don't use one massage one month, it will roll over so you never lose what you pay for"...when that is a complete lie. A customer didn't use 8 of her massages while she was pregnant and they told her should couldn't use them because they "expired". RIDICULOUS.

DO NOT WASTE YOUR TIME WITH THIS COMPANY. They promise "advancement" which is pure lies.
Pros
free massage & facial when you first start working. nothing else
Cons
everything. management sucks, coorporate can't get anything right.
Happy
Key Holder (Current Employee) –  Savage, MNJune 5, 2013
I am glad that I applied and happy to work here. Love the environment and the people!
Pros
friendly work enviornment, great people, chance of promotion and pay increase
Cons
every other weekends
Awesome Job!!
Service Desk (Current Employee) –  EdinaMay 3, 2013
I have had many retail jobs in the past and this is probably the best job I have ever had. Management helps you grow and change as a professional.

There are absolutely high standards and expectations. If I wanted a job without those, I would work for McDonald's. This is a career for people who want to go places, who want to push themselves to succeed. I have watched a lot of staff members get promoted. Therapists becoming leads, Leads becoming managers, and employees getting opportunities to shine.

My manager has been working one on one with me to help me become a better sales rep.

Overall, this is a growing company that takes work and dedication to go places. If you are willing to do that, the company is fast to rewards and support you.
Pros
feedback, monthly meetings, bonuses, healthful environment
Cons
no health insurance
Growing company with opportunities for advancement
Service Desk (Current Employee) –  Savage, MinnesotaMay 2, 2013
I really enjoy my job at Massage Retreat & Spa. MRS may not be a match for some individuals because of the high expectations. Leaders and management take the time to invest in their employees to help them grow individually and prepare them for advancement. Service desk goals are high but the payout is also high. Therapists also have the potential to make a lot of money. MRS provides therapists with initial clients. Overall, MRS is a great place to work if you're willing to invest the time and energy! It is worth it with the payouts and advancement.
Pros
opportunities for growth and monthly bonus potential
Cons
no health benefits
Fun place to work!
Skin Therapist (Current Employee) –  Savage MNMay 1, 2013
I really enjoy my job here. The people I work with are respectful, encouraging, and motivating. Yes, the pay could be better, but it could also be worse. The goals are not unrealistic, you just have to work at achieving them. I personally like goals to keep me on track. I've never had issues with "rude" management or threats from other employees and everyone I know that works there also enjoys the atmosphere. Give it a shot!
Pros
atmosphere, busy, achievable goals and bonuses
Cons
benefits! they don't offer health insurance and only vacation pay to full time employees
Terrible experience. DO NOT WORK HERE.
Massage Therapist (Former Employee) –  Plymouth, MNApril 29, 2013
- Constantly overbooked. You might be expected to do 4 massages in a row.
- Incredibly low pay
- Gossip
- Unrealistic sales goals

I would not recommend working here
Avoid this place!!!! Do yourself a favor
Keyholder (Former Employee) –  EdinaApril 29, 2013
If you like working for a company that forces you to guilt people into joining a membership, this is your place. Extremely over-the-top sales goals. Rude management. Very high turnover rate.

2.8