MassMutual Financial Group Employee Reviews

Great place
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Springfield, MAJuly 18, 2017
I enjoyed this job once I got the hang out it. My supervisor was very supportive and patient. He took the time to get to know us find out our strengths and weaknesses and made them better. When the days were stressful we received little pick me ups like being treated to lunch or having a small party and or receiving some kind of dessert
Pros
work with employees
Cons
very demanding due to daily numbers
Not a fun place to work
Head of Investment Risk Management (Former Employee) –  Springfield, MAJuly 18, 2017
Corporate culture is terrible. Senior management isn't in touch with employee sentiment and/or doesn't care. Several senior executives have taken over roles that they are not qualified to perform. After years of high expenses management has become very bottom-line focused and have been laying off a lot of good people.
Maintained files and update ownership and beneficiary information
Center Desk Clerk/Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Springfield, MAJuly 17, 2017
Filed and managed life insurance policies; filed correspondence for said policies. Verified and update ownership and beneficiary information for said policies.
Pros
salary, company "perks"
Cons
some of the co-workers were a lot to be desired.
Good Working Environment
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Woodland Hills, CAJuly 14, 2017
I worked full-time for almost 31&1/2 years. I enjoyed the work for the most part and got along well with my co-workers and the agents. A typical day at work involved processing and following up on new business and answering the phones.

The most enjoyable part of the job was when applications were approved for the clients applying for life insurance. The hardest part was adjusting to the changes in how new business was processed, especially when the company transitioned from MetLife to MassMutual about a year ago.

Management was supportive and the workplace culture was pretty good.
Great People
Contractor (Former Employee) –  Springfield, MAJuly 14, 2017
MassMutual is a friendly culture to work in. The environment is collaborative and politics are minimal (although exists a in every organization). Many operational functions are outsourced, which makes it difficult to find answers and determine roles and responsibilities.
Pros
Nice environment
Cons
Widespread outsourcing
You're on your own
Director of Financial Strategies & Sales Support (Former Employee) –  Chesterfield, MOJuly 8, 2017
You're on your own; no matter how much it may seem like you're not. They're nice people, but they're actors. Actors are generally likable people, though. With that being said, their training is extensive and overall powerful. If it's for you, go for it. But think about what you're passionate about, is all I ask.
Pros
Work/Life Balance was nice. Attractive people amidst.
Cons
No one up there genuinely cares about you.
Not for me
Financial Services Representative /P&C Agent (Former Employee) –  Shreveport, LAJuly 6, 2017
I came to Massmutual through the merger. The transition was not smooth. We saw no one from upper management that had an interest in us. It takes extremely long for policies to get issued. You pay them to use the office .
Atmosphere of uncertainty
Senior Business Procedures Analyst (Former Employee) –  Somerset, NJJuly 5, 2017
I was an employee of MetLife who was moved to MassMutual as a result of the sale of MetLife Preferred Client Group. Company did not communicate effectively regarding how the acquisition would effect the former MetLife employees. Morale among the former MetLife employees was low.
Hardest thing you will ever do
Financial Services Professional (Current Employee) –  Lake Oswego, ORJuly 5, 2017
Great benefits but 100% commission job. If you do not have a great natural market here in the Portland Area it will be extremely difficult for you to get clients. It was a great work environment.
Pros
Great work/life balance
Cons
100% Commission and extremely high turnover
Nice Place to Work
Business Development Consultant/Sales Support (Former Employee) –  Enfield, CTJune 29, 2017
I worked with a good group of folks. Work consisted of incoming and outgoing calls and sales support. I was left alone to do my tasks and had very little contact with my manager on a weekly basis.
Great place to work if you're good at sales
FINANCIAL ADVISOR, LEE, NOLAN & KOROGHLIAN (Current Employee) –  Saddle Brook, NJJune 28, 2017
Great job security if you're good at sales. All commission. Very flexible schedule - no one's on top of you or making sure that you're working, but you will not earn a dime if you can't sell.
Pros
flexibility and unlimited earning potential
Cons
must be a good salesperson
Director of Marketing (Current Employee) –  Amherst, NYJune 28, 2017
Amazing place to work. Great people, great work environment. High expectation of work quality but get to work at your own pace without anyone constantly monitoring you.
Fast paced and Productive
DI & LTC Internal Wholesaler (Current Employee) –  Springfield, MAJune 26, 2017
MassMutual is a fantastic place to not only begin but also to maintain a great career. However, the at times it was very difficult to understand the job tasks we were communicated.
Pros
Security, great benefit
Cons
Difficult to gradually move into other roles with better compensation
Fast-paced, time management is crucial
Regulatory Compliance Assistant (Former Employee) –  San Juan, PR 00917June 26, 2017
There is high volume with insurance and securities paperwork and submissions and they all entail numerous regulatory documents. It is excellent if you enjoy sales and are detail oriented.
Pros
Good office environment, strong work ethic is important
Cons
Dealing with big egos; because of the high commissions, salespeople are very demanding
Going through a lot of changes
IT Security Analyst (Current Employee) –  MassachusettsJune 24, 2017
The organization have been "transforming" for over 5 years now and seems to be challenged in finding it's true north. The company is focusing on talent in Boston, Charlotte and New York and moving away from Springfield Massachusetts its home of over 165 years.

The focus is on digital delivery of services and consumer self-service and less on traditional delivery of financial services and products. Their Boston Solutions Center is a vibrant and energetic environment in which to work.
Pros
Digital Transformation and focus on developing new talent in other markets
Cons
Constant reorganization, lack of job security makes it difficult to focus on strategy and delivery
Compatative
Compliance Supervisor & Trainer (Former Employee) –  Providence, RIJune 24, 2017
As a compliance supervisor the job required me to supervise all admitted applications for accuracy and make sure they were compliant with all applicable federal and state laws before submiting them to our head quaters for processing.
Pros
Challenging and interesting
Cons
High pressuered and demanding to details
Great financial resources to help with your job if you're not being considered for layoff
Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Springfield, MAJune 21, 2017
In 10 years, have had 12 different managers.
IT re-org seems to happen every 6 months.
Great resources to help you with your job.
Willingness by management to allow you explore different interests and help you expand your business experience and knowledge.
Really fun and team work job
Operations Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Springfield, MAJune 21, 2017
The mass mutual convention center is a really good place to work a good team work environment places. I have learn a lot in the Arena part of it knowing that my background is mostly Hotel jobs. I have learn how to built ice for hockey and put together basketball courts as 2 of the biggest part of my job . I have learn from the event managers how to run the arena events to make sure clients are happy with everything. There is no hard part to the job as long as you are doing it the right way and follow instructions. It could be challenging sometimes in the time period that we have to change one event to another but with the team that we have it gets done.
Pros
employee events, Birthday celebrations in the break room for all employees of that month/ anually raise
Cons
im a really hard working person and like to grow and cant because my bosses are here to saty.
I would not recommend anyone to this company
Jr Underwriter, Life - Charlotte NC (Former Employee) –  Ballantyne NCJune 19, 2017
Unprofessional and disorganized management, lacking skill sets expected of their positions; upper management is unapproachable. Low wages against competitors, poor benefits and very little opportunity to grow or advance. Hiring promises are rarely or only partially met, and annual review advancements are rarely honored as expected. Very cold, sterile, unwelcoming, stressful environment not conducive to any team work, comeraderie, or company loyalty, and at times even hostile; the most unprofessional company in 15 years corp experience thus far. Co does nothing to stay relevant within their industry, no innovation for future preservation, no to-date understanding of the current markets, highly antiquated systems, poor customer and agent satisfaction, no flexibility in schedules or work life balance. Very unhappy employees overall with high turnover in most departments. The company as a whole tends to focus so severely on volume and micro-managed productivity over quality and fiscal responsibility, and at the expense of both employee and customer satisfaction. Not a place one feels too proud working for or feels they can retire with. Never had a single co-worker ever speak of career satisfaction or happiness or intend to remain long term
Pros
Ballantyne location
Used to be a great place to work
Senior Systems Analyst (Former Employee) –  Springfield, MAJune 19, 2017
Massmutual use to be a great place to work. They are now outsourcing and there is no knowledgeable employees there. They expect the employees left to work to make up for the outsourcing lack of knowledge. They are laying off the SME's and outsourcing, but when things go South it is the MM employees who are called upon to fix even if you know nothing about a system, etc. Morale is like and never ending funeral
Pros
Flexible, work from home
Cons
lay offs ever month, outsourcing

Ask a question about working or interviewing at MassMutual Financial Group. Our community is ready to answer.