MassMutual Financial Group Employee Reviews

Financial Rep
Financial Representative (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNNovember 23, 2017
Very difficult job. There is a lack of training. You are expected to just learn on the fly and just to figure it out. They are all nice people and seemingly the senior advisers are very successful. However, they don't seem to care if you succeed, or fail. They don't even notice if you don't come into the office. Must be 100% independent and have some money in the bank to comfortably give this company a try with 100% commission. Not a bad opportunity, but not a great job. It appears to have high-turnover which is also an industry standard. If your not passionate about Finance and Insurance. It would be wise to avoid this in order to be happy.
Pros
Flexibility, independence, high-earning potential.
Cons
Lack of training, lack of culture, lack of support, no base salary.
Great firm
General Manager (Current Employee) –  MassachusettsNovember 21, 2017
Super place to work, great people, high ethical standards. Valuable products that protect customers and their financial well being. Good benefits safe and inclusive workplace.
Pros
Great company
Cons
Limited job mobility
Financial Services are what you make it
Financial Services Advisor (Former Employee) –  Walnut Creek, CANovember 19, 2017
The company has great management, that definitely knows what to focus on to motivate candidates to continue their individual journeys as financial professionals. However, the overall work-life balance and compensation is entirely up to the individual as its the same throughout the profession.
Fun place to work
Technical Support Specialist/System Administrator (Former Employee) –  Woodbury, NYNovember 15, 2017
I started here out of college. It was a great culture and environment. I made lots of friends there, enjoyed the job and had a very good experience there.
Pros
People
Cons
Low Salary
I enjoy providing a valuable service to my clients
Insurance Agent / Medicare specialist (Current Employee) –  New Windsor, NYNovember 15, 2017
It was a great sales experience with excellent training. My day began with reading emails and coming up to speed with any changes that would affect my productivity. Next I would review my prospects for the day and week. Call and make appointments. Get out of the office to talk clients. The most enjoyable part of my day was selling a client a product that would improve their life and add value.
Good company for growth.
Paralegal (Current Employee) –  Springfield, MANovember 13, 2017
Good company for growth that challenges you to do more with the work you have and also engage in community service support programs. The company has an established status in the financial services industry as well.
Pros
Great team, good work resources, challenging work assignments and more.
Caring company
Case Manager (Current Employee) –  Springfield, MANovember 11, 2017
Managers are there to help you grow. MM is very family orientated and understands the balance of work and family life.
Caring people, great co-workers, wonderful company to work for.
Personal development opportunities
Communications Consultant (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXNovember 6, 2017
All of the managers and directors I worked with encouraged employees to seek development opportunities. This could be within the company or externally. I felt like my voice was always heard and appreciated.
productive work place
Insurance Agent (Former Employee) –  Syosset, NYNovember 2, 2017
very nice environment with lots of agents moving about. I work from my home and not within an agency. You need discipline to work from home and I have been doing it for many years.
typical insurance sales job
Insurance Broker and Financial Planning (Former Employee) –  Leawood, KSNovember 1, 2017
Not ideal position for me. Though I enjoyed working with my clients, there was the issues within the organization that demanded changes in order to correct management deficiencies.
Pros
better than some other companies
Cons
poor management
Upbeat Environment
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Enfield, CTOctober 24, 2017
Fast-paced, fun environment. Great co-workers. There was not much room for advancement in my area of business. I was in the call -center so there was zero flexibility with my schedule.
fun
financial service representative (Current Employee) –  savannah, gaOctober 23, 2017
really flexible schedule. great people to work for. learned alot. I am just typing this so i can fill out the word minimum for this thing i think 150 is a little excessive.
a day in the life of a Treasury Consultant
Treasury Consultant (Current Employee) –  Springfield, MAOctober 20, 2017
The day begins at 7 sharp. You check all your bank accounts and make sure all items that hit the account are valid and enter the accounting for what is outstanding.

It is now 8 am. You need to check all the bank account balances and move around what you can so you are able to maximize the cash for investment with the Bond Traders.

At 9 am you now compare your final numbers to what we had forecasted and analyze your differences. I would contact the lines of business to see how we can get better at our forecast to avoid large swings.

After lunch you begin to wire the funds to the master accounts and watch for the daily changes that come from the lines of business. Usually because it is a rush or someone forgot to hold the cash.

Next you would handle any research you have and wrap up your day!
Average Employer
Agency Vice President/Director, Financial Planning (Former Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 18, 2017
A highly political organization. Syracuse office had a poor reputation based on management and drug abuse. MassMutual has difficulty competing in the current financial services marketplace because of its poor products. Currently under several class action law suits for fraudulent products.
Pros
Allowed to do the job most of the time.
Cons
Management stole from employees and was terminated. Had a history of terminations for theft.
Job eliminated as a result of acquisition
Manager (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCOctober 16, 2017
The acquisition of MPCG was less than stellar - unfortunately, in blending teams, it was made clear that advancements are provided primarily to those in Springfield/Enfield. The atmosphere was challenging at best and leadership was not interested in providing a sound path for development; the culture was an "us/them" environment that provided little opportunities for advancement. We were also told those from MPCG "made a lot more" than legacy MM, so many of us didn't receive a raise between 2016-2017 (even cost of living increase). We move on...
Working at MM
Principal Database Consultant (Current Employee) –  Springfield, MAOctober 9, 2017
I've learned new cloud solutions like amazon web services. Massmutual is having a few SQL server databases hosted in AWS clout as a pilot project.
They also have a roadmap for hybrid could like Docker.
Stressful work environment.
Account Manager (Current Employee) –  Enfield, CTOctober 9, 2017
Due to the work environment, I found MassMutual to be an extremely stressful and unhealthy place to work. Also, management would not listen to employees ideas and suggestions until it was too late.
Working individually or as a team is a great opportunity
Financial Representative (Current Employee) –  Ruston, LAOctober 6, 2017
Love the agents I work with, they have helped me develop my client basis. Weekly team meetings on products and understand the process of client meetings and how it all works.
Fast Paced
Intern (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXOctober 5, 2017
It was fun and interesting but the pay is commission based. The workplace culture was fun and lay back. Everybody was very helpful and provided great help.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Cut-throat
One tough Job
Licensed Financial Services Professional (Current Employee) –  Denver, COOctober 2, 2017
Mass Mutual has a lot to offer. it is a very difficult field to progress in and is 100% commission. This career has a very high turnover rate and is not an easy paycheck

Ask a question about working or interviewing at MassMutual Financial Group. Our community is ready to answer.