MasTec Advanced Technologies

MasTec Advanced Technologies Employee Reviews

Advanced Technology IT
Home Security Installation Technician (Current Employee), Houston, TXJuly 1, 2015
I learned a lot from MasTec its a good company to work for you will learn a lot for as troubleshooting technique and learn excellent customer service skills.
I am very proud to work for such a diverse and resilient company
Security Manager (Current Employee), Dallas TexasJune 29, 2015
Mastec is a fantastic company that gives it's employees many opportunities to promote or take on additional responsibility.

The senior leadership team is composed of very intelligent and forward thinking individuals.
Amazing People!
Direct tv Technician (Former Employee), Fort Worth, TXJune 25, 2015
Pros: Full benifits, blue cross blue shield. Payed by completion.
Cons: possiblility of no to short lunches, late nights, Summer may work 6 days a week, Payed by completion.
I still with I did not move on from here, but I need to make use of my skills. The job is tough, it had rewritten my definition within the first month. If you can't handle being in an attic running lines – more... at 10pm at night on a few nights out of a month. Then look else where. This job craves dedicated and hard working individuals who feel a need to push them selves physically and mentally. The other Technicians as well as management will reinforce you and do what ever they can to help you. The most Enjoyable part of this job would have been working with the customers. I posses decent communication skills and always offered a good laugh while communicating possible solutions to customers issues. "From what I can tell we may need to move your dish to a more open area of your roof. At the very least you won't have any trees blocking your signal", the job is filled with a couple of laughs and a couple of times you will encounter things you wish you had not. All in all I loved working there and would gladly do it again. – less
Co-workers-10, Management- -1
Staellite tech (Former Employee), dallasJune 24, 2015
Pros: Co-Workers, Benefits
Cons: too much employee turn over, management doesn't seem to care.
I enjoyed the work not really that difficult. enjoy working outdoors and meeting new and interesting people every day. Co-workers were great we all helped each other out team work was exceptional. Directv – more... is a good quality product. However management at MasTec seemed more focused on numbers than they were on their employees. instead of helping the techs that seem to struggle they just either pushed them into quitting or found a reason to release them. to me it would be more beneficial to give more training in the area they are struggling in to help those techs...especially after investing all the time & resources to train them than to just cut them loose. But then again they are known for their revolving door..way too much turnover. – less
Not as good as it seems
Satellite Installer (Former Employee), Corpus Christi, TXJune 22, 2015
Pros: Free tv service
Cons: workload, management
When you first get started it takes awhile to get the hang of it, constant revolving body cuz people always quit. The head of the company dont care about the employee they just wanna push numbers
It's your worst choice
Satellite technician (Former Employee), Fort Worth, TXJune 20, 2015
Pros: Experience
Cons: everything else
For the most part, it's true that this is the lowest paying job if you're smart enough to add up your hours of work. The job isn't hard, but it's not easy and it's not for everyone. I'm not going to go – more... into to full details of the job because most of the bad reviews are so true about this job. But if I can truly help someone make a good decision about accepting this job. Only do it if you know you just want the experience, and to use this experience to get something better. THIS IS NOT A LONG-TERM CAREER. – less
Fun and enjoyable job, with occasional cookouts.
Technician (Current Employee), Longwood, FLJune 15, 2015
If you take the work van home, you wake up get to your first job by 8AM. Work till all work is done for the day. Management is great to work for, and the co-workers, the hardest part about the job would be the weather. But if the weather is no big deal then you will be fine. And the most enjoyable part of the job is seeing a different environment everyday.
Horrible
Tech (Current Employee), PaJune 15, 2015
Pros: Tv
Cons: Everything
This company is based on lies & deception. You will be promised the world to get you, however they won't follow through. You will be asked to work 6 days a week, 12 + hours a day, and heaven forbid – more... if you call off once. One would think working those hours money would be great. Nope, hands down the worst paying job I've held to date. Please! Save yourself the time & stress and continue to look elsewhere.
If you take the job, remember I told you so. – less
Decent
Installation and Service Technician (Former Employee), Raleigh, NCJune 13, 2015
Not the best place to work if you want a life. Long hours but not great on a paycheck. Felt more like a number than an employee.
Challenging but rewarding contractor position with great managment
Administrative Manager/Project Coordinator (Former Employee), Atlanta, GAJune 11, 2015
Pros: working from home, almost complete autonomy, no micro-managing
Cons: there were no cons
Primary responsibility was tracking capital finances which consumed most of the day. In this position I learned and used daily advanced excel functions. The management and co- workers were all engineers – more... and were great folks to work with. The hardest part of the job was meeting what sometimes seemed to be impossible deadlines. The most enjoyable part of the job was being allowed and trusted to work from home which gave me the ability to make the most of my time. – less
Good Company
Project Coordinator (Former Employee), Nashville, TNJune 9, 2015
I was privileged to work with this company for nearly 3 years and was promoted several times.

I had some wonderful managers in the department I was in and miss them to this day.

I left this company when I moved to my home state, but was able to transfer to a company that Mastec had recently merged with.
Great people to work for
Installation Technician (Current Employee), Olyphant, PAJune 8, 2015
Pros: Good people to work with and company vehicle
Cons: paid by the job so income isnt steady.
I enjoy working for Mastec and interacting with the customers. I have good communication with my supervisors and Managers. I enjoy working for this company and love installing for customers. Only down fall is that you are paid by the job so paycheck isn't steady which is hard with a family.
what I learned
Direct TV Technician (Former Employee), Virginia Beach, VAJune 5, 2015
Pros: great benefits, retirement plan, ability to purchase stock within the company
Cons: sometimes can get over loaded with to much work, Exposure to the elements, working in dangerous areas
Working with Mastec was awesome. It gave me a lot of experience to how satellite works and taught me how to socialize better with others. This job made me a better driver and a better people person. It can be challenging at time and other times it can be very easy.
Good Company
Security Manager (Former Employee), Miami, FLJune 3, 2015
I started at MasTec as a Permit Runner / Permit Processor for a new product from AT&T. The company likes to hire from within and was able to be promoted to a Managerial position in 1 years time.
Fun Environment
Installation Technician (Former Employee), Glen Burnie, MDJune 2, 2015
Pros: cheap cable for your home
Cons: not enough pay
This company looks out for its employees. You are able to learn new things daily and new ways to install cable quicker to get more jobs to get more pay
Really?
Quality Control Technician (Current Employee), Abilene, TexasMay 24, 2015
Pros: Good pay, good benefits, good supervision, good co-workers
Cons: Work in weather, volatile market, changing standards
I've read the other reviews...I find it a funny read.

OK, so the negative side. They expect you to do your job. Be on your first job by 8 AM. When the work runs out you go home. MOST of the technicians – more... in this area are home before 5PM with many, many days where you're home even earlier. Also on the negative side, we work outside. But, common sense should tell you that since the dish is located outside, there's going to be some outside work.
I read in one review that they "make you work" under a house "filled with cottonmouth snakes." This is decidedly untrue. They will tell you point blank to NOT do a job if you cannot do it SAFELY.
I've also read in several reviews that the company does not care about the employees. This, again, is untrue. I've never had a company as concerned with my safety and well being as these guys. Example: my site manager came up to me one day, out of the blue, asking if I was making ends meet or if I needed a little bit of help getting my pay up a bit. (I'd missed some time due to illness)
Example: When I first started, my supervisors bought me a new pair of boots so that I wouldn't violate safety practices and get in trouble.
Example: The safety policies that the company has in place are there to make it where you can do the job as safely as you possibly can.
Your pay depends completely on YOU. I've never gone to a job that I could make my paycheck be whatever I needed it to be, and I likely never will again...but if I need more pay, I simply work more.
They say that you are not paid for your drive time, and this is true. However, they typically try to keep you within a certain distance of your home. And, if your first job is more than 90 miles away from home (which does happen occasionally) then yes, they do pay you drive time. Again, you have to keep in mind that (as it is with EVERY BUSINESS ON THE PLANET) the employees are hired to make the company more money...of course they're going to care more about making money than inconveniencing you.
Yes, you are expected to fix jobs that you are there to fix, that means if it was a bad install, you have to fix it or the quality control technician...me...will fail the job. However, it is untrue that you do not get paid for this. We have this marvelous system called FLAT RATE. It's a little bit of paperwork and a couple of photos and presto! You get paid for the work you do.
As far as training goes, like with any any industry you sometimes get trained by someone that has no business training people. However, by far and large, the people that do the training are senior technicians that know their business in and out and will teach you the proper way to do things.
It is untrue that you have no support from management. I have never called my supervisor and not gotten whatever help it is that I've needed. As far as upper and middle management goes...I've called the regional vice president before with a problem and had a very pleasant 20 minute conversation with an extremely busy man. I call my site manager on a very regular basis with questions, thoughts and concerns and KNOW that I am being listened to. The best part, though, is when you voice concerns and see something done about it almost immediately.
Now, this part may be a pro, may be a con...but the pay is done by piecework. That is, you get paid for the work that you actually do, not by the hour (with some exceptions). I've gone to 4 room installs that take me 9 hours before (something like 80 dollars). I've also done 4 room installs in 2 hours for the same pay. If you don't waste time, work steady and try your best, there is absolutely NO reason that you will EVER make under $15 an hour.
The company offers us tremendous benefits (a little pricey, sure, but it's damned good coverage and I blame Obamacare more than the insurance companies, but that's another issue). You get the best technology that we have to offer for free, as well as free service, after your first 30 days of employment...including the best package DirecTV offers (what's not to love about absolutely free TV). The company offers good discounts on a wide variety of things from Verizon phone accessories to Dell computers...all the way up to new Ford vehicles (if you go to a dealer) and even gym memberships.
As far as possibility for advancement goes...they aren't going to make a brand new supervisor or site manager position just because you think you deserve it. Come on...common sense. However, if you follow the job boards and postings you'll see jobs come open all over the country. If you're willing to relocate, there's no reason that you can't advance inside this company.
As far as promoting from within, from what I've seen they truly do prefer to fill all positions from within rather than hire somebody off the street. I've seen several supervisors and site managers filled from the current working staff. Granted, if they don't have qualified personnel applying for jobs they will seek the talent they need elsewhere...but what company won't? Again, do your job, show that you're a good fit for something, and odds are it'll work out in your favor.
Overall, this is one of the best jobs that I've ever had and I'm very, very proud to call myself a member of the MasTec family. – less
fast work place, fast trained
Field Technician (Former Employee), Houston, TXMay 19, 2015
Pros: good benefits
Cons: metric system
have to learn fast or you could fall behind of the updates product, also has to be a handy man for other devices. able to install wireless security systems and establish good technical experience.
Horrible company who doesn't give a cr#@ about their employee's
Satellite Technician (Former Employee), Columbia, SCMay 18, 2015
Pros: Good place to start, company provided vehicle and tools.
Cons: Horrible management, A company that actively tries to take your money and screw you over.
I worked for Mastec for about 3 years. When i first started, I loved it. I made more money than i had at any other job, but I pretty much worked a various restaurants before this, so that isn't saying – more... a whole lot. This company, plain and simple, DOES NOT CARE about its employee's. Literally every thing they do and change is to take money from the technician. They have a metric system, like a report card, which grades you on about 13 different things, many of which are essentially the same and many of which you have no control over. They were constantly changing this scorecard, when technicians were finally able to figure out tricks and ways to get better points in certain areas, they would make those metrics harder to obtain, or get rid of them all together. Everything they do is to save them money, by taking it from you. Don't get me wrong, if you have a minimum wage job now, this is definitely a step up. Its the only company I know of that requires no experience. They will provide you with a vehicle, training and all of the tools needed. Its a good place to START, but thats about it. There is very very little room for advancement. They say they like to promote from within, but thats only to about supervisor positions , which by the way, the average technician makes more than a supervisor. Above that, to upper management, they usually bring outside people to fill those positions.If you enjoy a bunch of BS, then this job is for you! Expect to drive alot (which you dont get paid for) and waste hours of time every day (which you dont get paid for). Overall, horrible company but a good place to start to get in to this field. I left them and went to a contracting company doing the same work and making double the pay. Again- if you are experienced in this line of work already, i definitely would not recommend coming here. This company is a revolving door. People are constantly getting hired and fired (or quitting) , which on the plus side is probably why they will literally hire anyone. They do not understand one essential concept- The employee makes the company. They would rather let you go and hire someone else than try to keep their employees happy. Which to be honest (not exaggerating at all) I do not know of any happy technicians at this company. A normal day in the "office" is pull your hair out, wish you had a different job, get screwed over, complain all day long to deaf ears, go home and get ready to do it all over again. 10-12 hours a day, 6 days a week. And you don't get paid hourly. – less
Thy are not a good place to work.
Site Acquisition/ Lead (Former Employee), OKCMay 18, 2015
Pros: NONE
Cons: Every thing
Drive to job site Install equipment if it was there if not drive to another job site to try to find your stuff and take it back and forth , and drive all over trying to reach some type of standard . thy lie about every thing and want it done know ,and if not you get the blame for all there Mistakes.
Huge company, high attrition
System Administrator (Former Employee), Atlanta, GAMay 18, 2015
This company is large and tends to operate in low-end telecom, which means the types of individuals you typically support are technicians installing piece-rate equipment at a low hourly clip.

There is a need for more balance between the execs at the top and the worker bees at the bottom

1 2 3 4 5

About MasTec Advanced Technologies

MasTec Advanced Technologies is a service line of our parent company MasTec Inc. We are a home service provider of DIRECTV and – Read more

MasTec Advanced Technologies Salaries