MasTec Advanced Technologies Employee Reviews

Good co-workers, independence, meet many people
Satellite Technician (Current Employee) –  Asheville, NCJuly 31, 2016
Workday varies regularly. Experience new situations daily. Opportunities to meet new people every day and adapt to new challenges. Have fun comparing experiences with co-workers and learning from their experiences.
Hardest part of job can be occasional long drives and not knowing when your shift will be complete.
I most enjoy working on my own and meeting lots of nice people and being able to serve them with an important service,
Pros
independence, good benefits
Cons
potentially long hours, hard to make personal plans
depressing
installer (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXJuly 27, 2016
Long hours 6 days a week with only a day off, they want you on a meeting call at 630 in the am that you are not even getting paid for, management does not have a sense of reality anymore after being in a crazy business where every single thing is judged by numbers,work quality means everything but they give you 6 jobs a day to be done perfect yeh right, the management team is set up to where they go down the chain with accountibility to write a tech up for something petty when he is the one working 6 days a week with no personal life,the job pays great if you are good at it but in the long you will pay the toll with no family life and enough stress and craziness to last a lifetime, if you have a family stay away or time will fly by and they are all grown before you know it while you were at work.
Pros
great pay
Cons
alot
Productive and Challenging
Satellite Installation Technician (Former Employee) –  Forest Park, GAJuly 27, 2016
A typical day is to be up by 5:30 am, and have my first job acknowledged by 6am. Suit up and be at the customer home by 8am. There is no set time you will be off. Great fun atmosphere to work, but doesn't have great job work/ life balance. I have learned many new aspects from legal to technical. working with low voltage. properly handling power tools and ladders. learning to troubleshoot through coax cables. The Management is great people to with. my co-workers are great people, and easy to talk to. we all network together for equipment. The hardest part of the job is not know what type of job you will get next, being unprepared and, having to locate what you need. Not knowing if the job is even able to be installed.
The most enjoyable part of the day is the interaction with customers and their unpredictable personalities.
Pros
Stay busy, working independently
Cons
The cummunication
fast paced and demanding
Sr. Director of Training (Current Employee) –  Centennial, COJuly 20, 2016
Fast paced and pretty high pressure especially during summer months when we do a LOT of hiring. Fun place to work and very rewarding when you can meet the high bars set.
Pros
quarterly all-hands lunches, free coffee/soda, very nice new office space and comfortable environment. friendly employees
Cons
sometimes overly challenging expectations
Nice place to work
In House Tech Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Greenville, SCJuly 19, 2016
Great atmosphere.. Great pay and benefits. Company takes care of its employees. We do put in long days but worth it at the end. Also travel is required depending on the job. The company pays for all expenses while traveling. Overall great company to work for.
A great company to work for.
Technician (Former Employee) –  Farmington, NMJuly 18, 2016
Field Technician, customer service, running cables, installing Directv equipment, showing customers how to use Directv equipment, answer any questions, troubleshoot Directv equipment, Line installers and repairers,install or repair cables, Drive work vehicles to job sites,
Good Job
Installer/Sales (Former Employee) –  Rolling Meadows, ILJuly 11, 2016
Great team to work with, paid training and travel. caompany van and gas card. get tools to complete job. get to travel all over the city of chicago
Ok
Lead Scheduler (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJuly 5, 2016
Company has no apparent interest in protection of their interests or making claims for change that would result in time extension or cost reimbursement if presented to customer.
Pros
pats on the back
Cons
no chance at bonus due lack of pursuing legitimate changes.
an ok place to work
Satellite Technician (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLJuly 4, 2016
Its Walmart, what can I say. Its an okay place to work but I wouldn't say it would make a great career choice. but that's just me. it can be a good family oriented place to work though.
sat installer
Direct Tv installer and Troubleshooter (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAJuly 3, 2016
installing and trouble shooting direct tv equipment hardest part of the job is the hours u work 6 days a week and sun up to sun down and then some
Pros
health insurance
Cons
hours and pay
If you have a family... or a life. Look elsewhere.
Satellite Installation Technician (Current Employee) –  Summerville, SCJuly 3, 2016
I am approaching my year mark at MastecAT as a Field Technician for DirecTV. In the time I have been here I have seen things go from bad to worse. The work load since the merger has doubled which on one side of the coin is good given the money you can make is exponentially increased, the other side of that coin though is the 6 day work weeks accompanied with the 14-16 hour days in the heat (which is what were in now) to the freezing cold literally bring you to the point of insanity.

Management from office to office is different. However at my office we are comprised of an "RDO" - Regional Director of Operations so basically a big wig, Site Manager - Our top manager at the office, Warehouse Manager - Controls our inventory and what we get and last but not least Supervisors - Who are directly responsible for the field technicians.

At my office location in Summerville, SC our supervisors in all honesty seem to do their best to help out the technician however our Site Manager stops that from happening. We are expected to work 16 hour days in the 100 degree weather with 90% humidity all day every day for 6 days a week. We will already be overbooked for the day "meaning we have jobs that are unscheduled" and our site manager will still pull more jobs forward just to ensure we don't see our families at all it would seem.

It has become clear that Mastec's slogan as a "Family Company" must only mean in certain areas or certain positions. Down here in the South where we have no Union the motto here is "If You Want A Family Life... Quit".

Our warehouse manager will blatantly
  more... not give you what you order and when your on your 4th install for the day and run out of remotes or receivers it's "Oh Well". Find the nearest technician who could be 30-45 minutes away and go get it. Thus making your day longer and lowering your hourly average. Which only shows utter incompetence to our valued customers and infuriates the technician.

When you voice your concerns to the Site Manager with our supposed "Open Door Policy" the only responses you'll get is "Oh Well" or "There's always someone looking for a job" which only shatters your feeling of self-worth at the company to the point you don't even matter to them.

Advancement in the company does not exist. When they are promoting or hiring for a new Supervisor position chances are (based off my own experiences of course at my office) that they have already chosen who they want there (typically a brown noser or whoever is doing the worst in the field numbers wise).

I can honestly say that if you live in South Carolina and are looking for a job that you can make quite a bit of money here at Mastec. But if you wish to have a life or family outside of work then do yourself a favor and find different employment.

At Mastec there is no advancement, a wage cap, back breaking work in the elements (my office does not reschedule jobs due to weather and this is from our Site Managers own mouth and countless emails), poor management, long hours, no room for family or out of work activities.

Now that I have said the bad I will say the good now. You meet some pretty cool people whether they be coworkers or customers. You make good money if your "FAST" at your work. That's about it.
Pros
Meet a lot of new people. Good money
Cons
Everything for the most part, Management, Advancement, Hours, Policies and etc. You are #s and not a Person.
ok money not doing that again
Installation Technician (Former Employee) –  Olean, NYJune 7, 2016
its a lot of stress is invlolved with the resposibilities you have to uphold that combined with the lack of pay and the constant whip to install faster makes for an unhappy work environment
i know more about directv than half the other technitians and they canned me.
Pros
free cable
Cons
long hours, poor appreciation, terrible supervisors who dont know what they are doing, god it goes on and on. working for free
Good but need more money
Line men (Current Employee) –  Cumming, GAMay 30, 2016
A typical day started at 7 & and ended around 5:30.I learned how to built transformers and splice wire. My manager was understanding but also a good teacher. The hardest part of my job would be setting transformers and the most enjoyable part of the job was splicing wire.
Pros
worked 4 days a week
Cons
dangerous
fun place to work with good co workers
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Boynton Beach, FLMay 26, 2016
answer phones and take down schedules for tech. The create invoices based on work preformed. Hardest part was working the later shift alone.
Pros
nice people
Cons
late hours
Productive workplace with a lot of fun activities.
Project Controls Area Manager / WIP Analyst (Former Employee) –  Santa Fe Springs, CAMay 25, 2016
A great place to work at with a lot of benefits and holidays. It was a nice and clean work environment with great opportunities.
productive company with oppurtuties to advance
Technician (Former Employee) –  Duluth, GAMay 23, 2016
start day around 6 am check the route for the day, check inventory, load truck and have morning meeting, Start route complete installations and work orders. Management was always checking in on you and willing to assist when needed. Co workers would come and help out If you need assistance, The most enjoyable part of this job was having a satisfied costumer and a successful installation.
The distant of travel. The hardest part was driving from Lithonia Ga. to Duluth Ga.
Excellent Pay
Jack of All Trades (Former Employee) –  FloridaMay 17, 2016
Be prepared to work like a horse. Great pay until you start dividing the hours worked. The people were the best part of this job.
Pros
Excellent Pay
Cons
Quality of life......expect to work long hours
Fun work
Cable Installation Technician (Current Employee) –  Forest Park, GAMay 16, 2016
I love the work. Excellent people to work with. Benefits are awesome. The hardest part is the work week. You work sometimes 12 hours a day 5-6 days a week.
bad place to work
Technician (Former Employee) –  Pooler, GAMay 11, 2016
6 days a week work week, no work life balance, written up for petty bs, 10-14+ hour days. never off on weekends unless you take PTO. bust your rear for moderate pay. pay varies based on amount of WO closed.
fun but strictly business
technician installer (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCMay 10, 2016
the job is a good job to start and learn from. the job taught me a lot of new skills on top of what I already knew how to do. I would recommend this job to any young technician looking for a good job fresh out of school
Pros
teaches good timing skills and work ethics
Cons
rarely any breaks, dispatching

2.6