Mastercuts Employee Reviews

Fun work experience but little training
Hairstylist/Cosmetologist (Former Employee) –  Harrisburg, PAJune 14, 2017
I enjoyed mastercuts but some places i needed more help and training and never recieved it also the work wasnt divided evenly throughout the workers. So the commission would be lower for some people than others. Really only made minimum wage.
Upper management is a joke
Former manager (Former Employee) –  Tarentum, PAJune 10, 2017
Are 16 years with this company I was demoted for not going to beauty school to recruit , when I had a full staff and was making money for the company, I had a wonderful, which has all quit, upper management just trying to shows who's in charge.they don't care about you at all
Pros
Free tools
Cons
Your just a number
Mastercuts
Stylist (Former Employee) –  Opelousas, LAJune 8, 2017
Skills were improved and clients were always satisfied. The hardest part was getting everyone on the same page. A typical day consists of making sure everyone is greeted and taken care of. Sometimes we are short staffed.
Fun co workers
Cosmetologist (Former Employee) –  Huntington, WVJune 1, 2017
Everyone I worked with was really fun and outgoing but the managers left a little to be desired. The shop was in a mall so plenty of walk ins so your own clientel was not needed.
Pros
Inside mall
Cons
Super strict management
Fast-paced environment
Licensed Cosmetologist (Former Employee) –  Harlingen, TXMay 30, 2017
It's a great place to start as a cosmetologist. You'll do many haircuts per day. The pay is minimum wage plus tips. Haircutting on women, children and men in a very fast paced environment.
Pay is low, little or no benefits
Cosmetologist (Former Employee) –  Gainesville, FLMay 26, 2017
Hours were long because they would not hire enough staff.
You received one week of vacation after working for two years and the commission rate was low. Stylists rarely made commission. Long work days helped boost my income.
Pros
A few nice clients
Cons
Poor salary, no benefits
Fun atmosphere
Hairstylist (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORMay 22, 2017
It's a fun job and keeps the bills paid. You encounter a lot of variety of clientele which makes some days better or worse than others. The pay sometimes isn't worth it because you make minimum wage after going to school top get license to perform the services you do.
Great environment, co-workers and management
Stylist (Current Employee) –  Lancaster, OHMay 19, 2017
I enjoy working in this environment doing what I love. My manager is wonderful and works with her employees on anything they need. Wish there were raises and better benefits but that's the only complaint.
Beginning job
HAIR STYLIST (Former Employee) –  Biloxi, MSMay 3, 2017
Mastercuts was a good company to start my cosmetology career with. There are many walk ins so you get a lot of experience with all different types of services.
Corporation, only cared about how much money you brought in
Hair Stylist (Former Employee) –  Saint Clairsville, OHApril 24, 2017
Very busy, fast paced. Not good work environment. It was a get them in and out kind of place. Customers where great. Pay was not for everything you did! Would not recommend working there!
Pros
Great customers
Cons
Not goodenvironment
fast pace job and a lot of multitasking
Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Hilo, HIApril 19, 2017
I think that my job as a receptionist was kind of stressful because I was the only one. Now they hired a second receptionist and it is a lot of help to get things done faster and have someone helping to answer the phone, stocking retail products in the backroom, and cleaning up the salon. It was fun meeting new people when checking them in. We also get mall employee discounts for food whenever we go and purchase any.
Pros
mall employee discounts
Cons
only receptionist
Wasn't a extraordinary experience
STYLIST (Former Employee) –  Lakewood, CAApril 12, 2017
Advanced education was lacking. Environment was tense sometimes among stylists. There's favoritism with certain stylists. Wish I had time off to go expand on my education from opportunities i was offered. Pay was severely low for the amount of work done. No licensed or high educated individual should be paid minimum wage.
Good start place for new stylists
Hairstylist (Former Employee) –  Traverse City, MIApril 10, 2017
The current staff is great, pay isn't the best, but it is decent for a new stylist. Not a lot of learning opportunities on things needed for the salon. Classes on services we don't hardly do.
Pros
Free classes once a year, paid vacation, offer healthcare
Cons
Doesn't offer classes on services we constantly do, higher ups threaten stylists
Productive social environment
Assistant (Current Employee) –  Merced, CAFebruary 23, 2017
Typical day at work requires of arriving and cleaning the work are. Other situations include assisting in haircuts to help advance the barber when busy. I learned a lot of skillful communication skills with a wide variety of people.
good people to work for
Cosmetologist (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TNFebruary 11, 2017
clean tools, hair cuts styles and color. Fun environment to work in. willing to help when needed. hardest part of the job is standing all day nd not being able ton stand on a mat.
Pros
build clientle
Hair Stylist (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXFebruary 3, 2017
Great company to work for, Management is great. They work with your hours. Provide all essential tools for the job. Was sent to training when available
Porductive and fast pase
Hairstylist (Former Employee) –  Arcadia, CADecember 22, 2016
my co-workers wear great never slow manager was a wonderful teacher learned alot and was always busy. hardest part of job was not being able to speak to clients that spoke spanish
productive fun
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Merced, CANovember 17, 2016
Good job for the few hours offered. The pay was low but decent because of how easy the job was. Co-workers were very nice and i learned more of advertising and be social.
Fun job
Hairstylist (Former Employee) –  Fort Gratiot, MINovember 14, 2016
Enjoyed everyone I worked with and it was fun meeting all the people. Position accepts and encourages creative work from staff. Company offers training in person on occasion, and also thru videos.
Lots of Mall traffic.
Hair Stylist (Current Employee) –  West Nyack, NYOctober 21, 2016
Lots of Mall traffic. Great place to build your clients.
Mostly Busy on the weekends. Family friendly salon. use Matrix color. Iso perms. Lots of clipper cuts.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Mastercuts. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8