Mastery Charter Schools

Mastery Charter Schools Employee Reviews

Great job with room to grow.
Master Dean of School Culture (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PADecember 28, 2016
Mastery is a great organization. Coming into Mastery, you are told that you will get high supports to match the high expectations expected of you. Great place!
Pros
room to move up
Cons
little to no work life balance.
Not work it
prejudice leadership
no breaks
children run the school
lots of fights
no respect peers and students
Pros
pay
Cons
everything else
Changing the way education is done
Dean of Culture (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PADecember 16, 2016
Mastery has taken on the challenge of serving inner city families...an arduous task for any organisation. With reform on the horizon, Mastery is committed to continual improvement...which is necessary if goals are to be reached
Cons
no breaks, long hours
Unorganized and not a good learning enviornment.
Special Education Paraprofessional (Current Employee) –  Camden, NJOctober 27, 2016
A typical day at work can be very challenging, most days teachers spend more time calling the dean on students than actually teaching. I don't think it's enough support from administration and the turn over rate is very high.
Pros
I enjoy working with the children.
Cons
The structure of the organization.
Very energitic and exciting place to work
Paraprofessional (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAOctober 17, 2016
A day at mastery can be one great experience. Working with the special education has taught me a lot. coming into this new environment I was able to take on new skills of how to work with the children with many different disabilities. I have learned how to be more patient when teaching children who are not able to learn on the same level. Co-workers made the job more enjoyable, the way they show how much they care for these made the job more encouraging to come to. One hard thing about this job is seeing the different environment these children are coming from and not being able to help them as much as I would like to. But just knowing that I can do what I can and to see their faces and how happy they are at that moment makes me happy.
Very exciting place to work. However unfavorable treatment if there is a disagreement or questioning of management.
Employee (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJune 18, 2016
A typical day is very high energy and fast paced. I learned a lot about managing others and how difficult it is to get others to feel that you are treating them fairly. The hardest part of the job is long hours. The most enjoyable part of the job is the students.
Pros
Knowledgeable staff
Cons
No lunch breaks, lack of flexibility
I learned so much! But burn out is high
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAMay 25, 2016
I got a lot of coaching and training which has led to me being a better teacher over all. But there is not much flexibility or opportunity for the teachers to use their discretion. If you are a parent of a young child or thinking about having a baby, it is very difficult to balance everything and they are not very understanding.
weird place to work
Stationary Boiler Engineer (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAApril 26, 2016
Mastery pays well, but their contracts are year to year. This is a way to get rid of employees that they just cant blatantly fire for no reason. Their HR department sucks. They don't resolve matters with accordance with the company guidelines. When you go to HR, you then become a target, because you've stood up for yourself. They are not a union company, and this is why they play so many games. It is not a place when you can build a career long-term. This company cares for no one. And its like that from the top down.
Disappointed
7th Grade General Math Teacher (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PANovember 5, 2015
The school and mission seemed like a great school to work at. The environment was very stressful, demanding, and the students had little repercussions for their negative actions. Made teaching very hard to do with disruptive students.
The hardest part of my job was the most enjoyable part.
Senior Associate Instructor - Science (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PASeptember 22, 2015
Everyday provided a new opportunity for personal and professional growth. I have learned so much about myself, peoples' individual learning styles and needs. My co-workers are very supportive of each other. I love working with high school and college students.
Pros
Abundance of resources
Cons
Health care package
Not the best place to work
Technology Associate (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAAugust 13, 2015
Mastery Charter is a great organization besides the IT department. Projects were never planned out properly often leading employees with multi-tasking on very limited time while handling normal routine. Management tends to pick and choose their favorites. Some can work there for years and actually deserve a promotion but never receive it. Others come in with no experience and get promoted to a manager in less than a year. They tend to make several promises that are never followed through and will make your life miserablel if you're not in their club of friends. You never know what location you will be working at from day to day and bounce around often. One of the worst places that I have every worked.
Pros
healthcare
Cons
usually don't get a break, negative environment, little room for advancement, low pay for work
Fast paced job that requires a well of knowledge
Long-Term Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJuly 15, 2015
A typical day at work would be get my assignment from the principal and get the classroom ready for whatever subject and grade level I was teaching that day. I learned how to interact and breakdown subject matter to children on a high school level. Management was left up to me once I entered the classroom. My co-workers were very helpful and friendly. The hardest part of the job was jumping from subject to subject and grade to grade on a daily basis. The most enjoyable part of my job was the kids.
Pros
Set schedule, Great environment
Cons
A lot of downtime
Charter School
Group Leader Intern (Current Employee) –  Camden, NJJune 29, 2015
I enjoyed being at Mastery Charter School; however, there need to be a must guarded system for the safety of all students and staff.

Overall, I believed those students need more teachers that can relate and understand their stance in life, rather than, rural teachers gaining a paycheck from urban neighbor schools.
Pros
Urban School
Cons
Need to be relocated to a more subtle environment
Productive and Fun Place to Work
Group Leader Intern (Current Employee) –  Camden, NJOctober 4, 2014
• Driving student achievement for students with disabilities
• Responding to progress monitoring results and student assessment data
• Establishing a positive, structured, achievement-focused classroom
• Providing support to students, parents, and general education staff and supporting student learning
• Mentoring and coaching students on self-regulation and organizational skills
• Developing effective IEPs that translate into measurable results for students
• Providing leadership as a member of the Special Education team
• Modeling the Mastery Charter Schools Core Values of respect, integrity, community and excellence influence academic and educational life.
• Working with family and community settings, supporting children with behavioral health challenges, and their families
• Demonstrating the ability to work cooperatively with families and other professionals on behalf of youths and their families.
teaching and impacting today's youth
General Science Teacher (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAOctober 3, 2014
Good place to work. Love the coworkers. Dealing with a lot of personalities.
Great Organization that is focused on the educational advancement of youth in Philadelphia
College Advising Consultant (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJune 15, 2014
Mastery is an organization that focuses on the educational advancement of youth in Philadelphia. Working with the young people is energizing and rewarding. The faculty and staff truly cares about each student.
wasnt fair
Administrative Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAMay 24, 2014
they had one person working at the front desk with no other assistance
Mastery is filled with great people who really love what they do, the children they teach, and the community they serve.
Administrative Assistant - Attendance Manager (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PADecember 4, 2013
No two days are the same when you work with children. Being surrounded with great people who is in the profession for the love of education and the belief that every child, no matter his/her economic status, deserves a quality education was one of the best experiences of my life!

The hardest part about being the Admin Assist at any school is that you're pulled in a million different directions constantly. You must be able to wear MANY hats! There were mornings when I was answering the phones, answering the doors, replying to emails, drying tears, applying band-aids, and logging late students all at the same time! But it was worth it! Knowing that helped improved the life of a child on any level makes the job rewarding.
Pros
Close to home, helped the community, rewarding
Cons
Not much money in education on the entry level, regardless of how hard you work or how much you love what you do
Fast paced and student centered
Assistant Principal of School Culture (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PASeptember 20, 2013
Mastery is committed to ensuring their students prepare for and continue on to higher education. A typical day at work would involve providing services to students, parents and staff. The hardest part of the job was seeing a student give up and not return to school. The most enjoyable part of the job was helping to inspire hope in a student and encouraging those who were already self motivated.
No day is ever the same...
School Social Worker (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAMay 7, 2013
I love working with the kids and most of the staff here. If you love variety in your work day then this is the place for you.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Mastery Charter Schools. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9