Mastery Charter Schools

Mastery Charter Schools Employee Reviews in United States

The hardest part of my job was the most enjoyable part.
Senior Associate Instructor - Science (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PASeptember 22, 2015
Everyday provided a new opportunity for personal and professional growth. I have learned so much about myself, peoples' individual learning styles and needs. My co-workers are very supportive of each other. I love working with high school and college students.
Pros
Abundance of resources
Cons
Health care package
Disappointed
7th Grade General Math Teacher (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PANovember 5, 2015
The school and mission seemed like a great school to work at. The environment was very stressful, demanding, and the students had little repercussions for their negative actions. Made teaching very hard to do with disruptive students.
Not the best place to work
Technology Associate (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAAugust 13, 2015
Mastery Charter is a great organization besides the IT department. Projects were never planned out properly often leading employees with multi-tasking on very limited time while handling normal routine. Management tends to pick and choose their favorites. Some can work there for years and actually deserve a promotion but never receive it. Others come in with no experience and get promoted to a manager in less than a year. They tend to make several promises that are never followed through and will make your life miserablel if you're not in their club of friends. You never know what location you will be working at from day to day and bounce around often. One of the worst places that I have every worked.
Pros
healthcare
Cons
usually don't get a break, negative environment, little room for advancement, low pay for work
Fast paced job that requires a well of knowledge
Long-Term Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJuly 15, 2015
A typical day at work would be get my assignment from the principal and get the classroom ready for whatever subject and grade level I was teaching that day. I learned how to interact and breakdown subject matter to children on a high school level. Management was left up to me once I entered the classroom. My co-workers were very helpful and friendly. The hardest part of the job was jumping from subject to subject and grade to grade on a daily basis. The most enjoyable part of my job was the kids.
Pros
Set schedule, Great environment
Cons
A lot of downtime
Charter School
Group Leader Intern (Current Employee) –  Camden, NJJune 29, 2015
I enjoyed being at Mastery Charter School; however, there need to be a must guarded system for the safety of all students and staff.

Overall, I believed those students need more teachers that can relate and understand their stance in life, rather than, rural teachers gaining a paycheck from urban neighbor schools.
Pros
Urban School
Cons
Need to be relocated to a more subtle environment
Fast paced and student centered
Assistant Principal of School Culture (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PASeptember 20, 2013
Mastery is committed to ensuring their students prepare for and continue on to higher education. A typical day at work would involve providing services to students, parents and staff. The hardest part of the job was seeing a student give up and not return to school. The most enjoyable part of the job was helping to inspire hope in a student and encouraging those who were already self motivated.
Productive and Fun Place to Work
Group Leader Intern (Current Employee) –  Camden, NJOctober 4, 2014
• Driving student achievement for students with disabilities
• Responding to progress monitoring results and student assessment data
• Establishing a positive, structured, achievement-focused classroom
• Providing support to students, parents, and general education staff and supporting student learning
• Mentoring and coaching students on self-regulation and organizational skills
• Developing effective IEPs that translate into measurable results for students
• Providing leadership as a member of the Special Education team
• Modeling the Mastery Charter Schools Core Values of respect, integrity, community and excellence influence academic and educational life.
• Working with family and community settings, supporting children with behavioral health challenges, and their families
• Demonstrating the ability to work cooperatively with families and other professionals on behalf of youths and their families.
Great Organization that is focused on the educational advancement of youth in Philadelphia
College Advising Consultant (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJune 15, 2014
Mastery is an organization that focuses on the educational advancement of youth in Philadelphia. Working with the young people is energizing and rewarding. The faculty and staff truly cares about each student.
Good idea, but just not for everybody.
Specials Teacher (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJune 4, 2012
I work at one of their many campuses and it was almost depressing at times. The moral there was very low. The kids are a tough bunch but once you reach them they are GREAT! The co-workers were very supportive but a lot of the ones who were the most supportive left during the course of the school year.
It's a very demanding job so being organized and not minding to have a slightly unbalanced work/life balance you can be very successful.
The class sizes are VERY large here and at times overwhelming.
The administration will expect you to always be flexible even if it means to teach a class you're not comfortable with.
I can't imagine how doing stuff like that would make anyone say this is a great place however, I know for a fact that this attitude does not speak for every campus.
Pros
great pay
Cons
long hours, tough kids, low moral, poor work/life balance.
They expect a lot and remind you that your expendable.
Teacher (Current Employee) –  PhiladelphiaJanuary 27, 2013
In my experience they use the company values of 'one team' and 'grit' to mean work your butt off even if it's not in your area of expertise and do it with little resources.
Pros
school calendar: summers and holidays off
Cons
work/life balance is poor.
Mastery is filled with great people who really love what they do, the children they teach, and the community they serve.
Administrative Assistant - Attendance Manager (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PADecember 4, 2013
No two days are the same when you work with children. Being surrounded with great people who is in the profession for the love of education and the belief that every child, no matter his/her economic status, deserves a quality education was one of the best experiences of my life!

The hardest part about being the Admin Assist at any school is that you're pulled in a million different directions constantly. You must be able to wear MANY hats! There were mornings when I was answering the phones, answering the doors, replying to emails, drying tears, applying band-aids, and logging late students all at the same time! But it was worth it! Knowing that helped improved the life of a child on any level makes the job rewarding.
Pros
close to home, helped the community, rewarding
Cons
not much money in education on the entry level, regardless of how hard you work or how much you love what you do
Employers don't appreiate the talents of current employees
Accounts Payable/Payroll Manager (Current Employee) –  United StatesAugust 6, 2012
Balancing the job and home is difficult. Position is not challenging. Not compensated for job perfomance.
Pros
holiday breaks
Cons
limiting my ability to move forward
The students are fantastic,
Attendance Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAApril 24, 2012
my most enjoyable part of my day is when a student breaks down my door just to show me what. they have accomplished for the day
Pros
awesome children, makes it worth while
teaching and impacting today's youth
General Science Teacher (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAOctober 3, 2014
Good place to work. Love the coworkers. Dealing with a lot of personalities.
An excellent place to work!
Life Skills Paraeducator (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAFebruary 2, 2013
It's great to work alongside people who truly care about uplifting the community and going above and beyond for children!
No day is ever the same...
School Social Worker (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAMay 7, 2013
I love working with the kids and most of the staff here. If you love variety in your work day then this is the place for you.
wasnt fair
Administrative Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAMay 24, 2014
they had one person working at the front desk with no other assistance