Mastery Charter Schools Employee Reviews

Administration has no idea what they're doing and students run the school.
General Music teacher for grades K-7 (Former Employee) –  Camden, NJOctober 17, 2017
The students run the school here. They could do anything wrong and have no consequences. Kids get in fights and it's blamed solely on the teacher. The administration has no idea what they're doing. Students have half days on Wednesdays for professional development and we end up doing nothing all afternoon. It is such a waste of time.

I asked for constructive feedback on my lessons and only got told to hang more posters in my room. Nothing about my teaching or classroom management, which is what I wanted help with.

Teachers have cliques in the building and it is hard to develop relationships to help support you in this bizarro world where the teachers are at fault for students behavior, but students are not help accountable at all.

I had credit cards stolen and charged by a 5th grader and I was told it was my fault!! He was only suspended 1 day!!! That was only because of my insistence that something be done!!

Don't work here. I was sick to my stomach every time I had to go into that building.
Pros
Good hours and salary
Cons
Students with awful behavior with admin who can't control them
fun place to work
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia County, PAOctober 15, 2017
this was one of the best place to work.
can be stressful at times but everyone is friendly.
i want to return to this company in the future.
this work place I recomend to anyone to work.
Pros
very competative
Cons
stressful at times
Dangerous
8th Grade Composition Teacher (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAOctober 10, 2017
I did not feel safe or supported while working at Mastery and this is the major reason why I decided to leave. I also wanted to relocated to be closer to my family in their time of need.
Pros
I liked the people I worked with
Cons
I did not feel safe
Fast-Paced
Principal (Former Employee) –  Camden, NJSeptember 1, 2017
Mastery is a fast paced culture that struggles with understanding how to educate black and brown children.

They work to recruit people of color but they fail at retaining people of color.
Pros
fast-paced, quick learning curve, values
Cons
lack of work life balance
Staff was great
Couselor (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAAugust 22, 2017
Leadership needed a lot of support. The teachers worked well together. The administration had some issues and lacked leadership skills. They made too many impulse decisions.
Pros
Staff worked well together
Cons
lack of leadership
A typical day
NST Food Service Director (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAAugust 14, 2017
Mastery is a wonderful place to work. One Team is the motto and it holds true. From the CEO to the Admin Assistant; they are all in it together. Excellence, no excuses hold true to both students and employees.
Pros
Friendly environment, supportive administration and staff
Cons
Can sometimes be long hours, multiple functions/titles are sometimes required
Productive and fun place to work
Assistant Principal (Current Employee) –  East Camden, NJJuly 21, 2017
Mastery is a very product driven organization whose end goal is ensuring that at-risk inner city students are afforded the same opportunity to succeed as their suburban counterparts.
Pros
Rapid growth and room for advancement into leadership positions
Nice job
Administrative Assistant/Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJuly 18, 2017
Mastery was a nice place to work. I enjoyed my time there. There is nothing special about this place, typical school. It is what you would expect working the front desk at an elementary school.
Pros
Some very nice staff members
Cons
Some very rude staff members
Excellent Work Life Culture
Administrative Assistant (Attendance Manager) (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJune 28, 2017
A typical day at work consist of expanding the minds of young people and helping them become ready for the real world.

Learning ways to work with students and coping with real world issues while striving to be successful in spite of situations.

Management is great to work with. I feel appreciated on a daily basis.

Hard part of the job is not getting too attached to students and embodying their real world issues too much.

The most enjoyable part of the job is working with people equally committed to the students and the students themselves.
Pros
Staff, Management, and students
Cons
Only a part time position.
Productive and fun place to work but not many benefits for paraprofessionals
Paraprofessional/Teacher Assistant (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJune 27, 2017
Mastery is an amazing place to work great atmosphere great students great team rapport. The only con was as a paraprofessional you don't receive any benefits you only can work 29 hours per week if you get the entire 29. During breaks and in-services paraprofessionals are not paid and are not required to stay during n services so we had a lot of time off. I would recommend this job too young students looking for experience in a classroom setting but you cannot provide for your family off of the pay and the hours that they give to paraprofessional and there is New Hope to ever becoming a full-time employee as a paraprofessional because they don't allow paraprofessionals to become full-time and that's a guideline through human resources.
Pros
Students, staff, and the overall Mastery atmosphere.
Cons
Pay, benefits and no continuing education.
Great place to work with great vibes
ATTENDANCE COORDIANTOR (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJune 19, 2017
My day at work is full of smiles because I enjoy what I do. I don't complain because what I do has a purpose for the future. I have learned that having a good mindset going into the building sets the tone for the day and the future.
Pros
Everyone has a one team mindset
Cons
Not enough hours and money
I Enjoy My Work
Community Advocacy Mgr /Enrollment Mgr- Camden (Current Employee) –  Camden, NJJune 11, 2017
This is a good place to work if you love education, children, and families. I can truly attest to the hard work that is being done at Mastery. Speaking as a parent of an alumni before even considering applying. I believed in their mission for quality education.
Pros
work a school year schedule with 3 "shut down weeks' during the year.
Supportive staff with hepful PD's
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAMay 28, 2017
A typical work day involves a brief morning meeting with grade team leads followed by positive message for the day. A typical instructional day may include one or more administrators or support staff checking in during entry or exit looking for specific actions taking place and collecting data for classroom effective and other measurables.

At my current campus, staff are all very hands on helpful towards every staff member, new or seasoned. All staff is very professional, has a one-team attitude and positive approach to challenges and new deliverables.

The hardest part of the job is keeping up with all the non-instructional expectations and deliverables.

The most enjoyable part of the job is the feeling that we're all in this together and everyone is willing to give a helping hand to a fellow colleague.
Pros
many advancement opportunites, lots of observations, coaching and feedback
Cons
lots of non instructional expectations, high stress
Productive and fun workplace
Human Resource Intern (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAMay 17, 2017
Great friendly place to work. Everyone is nice and accepting. They train you when you first get there and it makes a easy transition for you as in employee.
Good Entry Teacher Position
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAApril 20, 2017
Mastery is a good place to begin your career as a teacher. You learn a lot about being an educator in an urban setting at a fast pace. Mastery has countless professional development sessions where you have the opportunity to learn and collaborate on certain topics. Professional advancement can be rapid at Mastery, which is a pro and con. It's great because you can quickly move up the ladder if your classroom observations and test performance is exemplar. However, because the upward mobility is so swift at Mastery, it can be a downfall as many administrators rise to that position too quickly. As a result, expertise is not as extensive as a school where administration is composed of individuals with more experience.
Pros
competitive pay
Cons
difficult setting
Workplace Culture and cultural competence needs improvement
Employee (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia County, PAApril 1, 2017
The student population is not reflected culturally in school-based activities, staff representation, nor in school culture.

The cultural competence of the teaching staff does not reflect an environment conducive to the social development and academic learning needs of the students nor support needed for the parents/families.

While the school's drive focuses on education with a "No excuse" policy, the competency of the school's teaching and administrative staff is subpar in understanding the cultural and social context of the student population.
Cons
Cultural insensitivity to student population
Productive work environment
Accounts Payable Clerk (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAMarch 28, 2017
It is a large organization with many employees. Here I learned everything I know about accounts payables and cash management/ bank reconciliations. There are many activities set up for employees to enjoy themselves and interact across schools.
Nice place to work
Administrative Assistant (part-time) (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAMarch 17, 2017
I really liked it at Mastery. I wish it wasn't a part time position. I would love to work for Mastery again. It is very resourceful. A typical day at Mastery feels like you're with family. The coffee is excellent.
Micromanagement
teacher (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAMarch 8, 2017
- Pays well; benefits good
- school had a lot of hard-working teachers
- Admin vs teachers = very micromanaging / political / admin not qualified; unrealistic expectations
Strong salary and advancement potential, weak leadership
teacher (Current Employee) –  Camden, NJFebruary 21, 2017
At Mastery you will earn a competitive salary, but that salary seems less competitive when you factor in the loss of the NJ pension. Currently Mastery is the only charter school in NJ that I am aware of that does not participate in the NJ pension system.

Because the network is constantly growing, there is a lot of room for advancement. This growth and advancement however leads to poor, unqualified and/or unknowledgeable leaders.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Mastery Charter Schools. Our community is ready to answer.

Mastery Charter Schools Reviews by Location