Materion Employee Reviews

Marerion
Analytical Chemist I (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIDecember 25, 2017
Materion is very excellent work place for a fresh college graduates. Here you can solidify your basic skills as an analytical chemist. You will get plenty on hands experience.
great coworker
Production supervisor (Current Employee) –  Brewster, NY 10509December 4, 2017
great manufacturing personnel. Stressful working environment and expected to work long hours. Management expects more with less all of the time. They also don't value good dedicated workers
Pros
Great people to work with
Cons
Management is inconsistent
Negative Culture
Customer Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  Buffalo, NYOctober 20, 2017
Working here wouldn't be bad if it wasn't for miserable people and terrible management. Management is moody and isn't afraid to show it! Rubs everyone the wrong way. The office is super caddy, including management. Micro-managing at its finest.
Pros
Good pay, free fruit
Cons
Management, atmosphere
Hourly co workers and engineers are great but supervisors especially the backend makes it miserable. Management is totally not in touch
Coating Technician (Former Employee) –  Westford, MASeptember 24, 2017
The management will be it's down fall they're lossing people left and right and don't care.. Stay away from this company unless you desperately need a job..
Pros
Can't think of anything good except hourly and engineers people are great
Cons
Management team needs to be replace
Working as a Quality Laboratory Technician as a Woman
Quality Laboratory Technician (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, NYMarch 7, 2017
I was happy to get this job when I was in my early 20s because it provided job security and a slightly larger paycheck than what I was getting working a pretty awful temp job. However, while I will say that I was comfortable and confident in my job performance, there was no way to advance in the company from my entry level role. I also think this had something to do with the fact that I was a woman. The management is an old boys club and none of them have science bachelors degrees even though all us techs do. I had expressed interest several times to receive more training and advanced to my manager but was told by him that he could "work around" my request. I received comments on a regular basis from male coworkers pertaining to me "sleeping" with other male coworkers I was friendly with and even got called "ditzy" a few times. To preface I have a bachelors of chemistry degree at graduated with a high GPA. Luckily I already had plans to relocate and had been saving money to do so for a few years so I did my time got what experience I could and got out.
Pros
job security, modest paycheck
Cons
no advancement, limited opportunities
Good pay, ok benefits, bad culture.
Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Elmore, OHFebruary 12, 2017
When you start, there is a six month "orientation period," in which your performance is evaluated. At the end of that six months, they determine weather to retain or not. Be aware that anything you do wrong in that six month time frame will show up on your performance review at the end of that six month period.

The pay is great. Especially for this area. However, their pay structure leave much to be desired, as it would take nearly 8 years to reach the top tier pay.

The PPE requirements are fairly stringent, more in some areas than others. Expect to wear a respirator most of the time. You're required to take a shower at the end of the workday and are allotted time at the end of the day to do so. You must also wear company supplied clothing, right down to your underwear. Your workday starts when you get to your work area, not when you arrive at the locker room to change into your uniform.

Most of the people that work there are pleasant enough and easy to get along with. However, many of them have worked there for literally decades and are VERY resistant to ANY change. They're not the only ones, however.

By far, my biggest complaint is the management. They do not ask or care about input from operators and maintenance personnel. They will often look for the easiest and quickest solution, rather than an actual fix for the problem. When an issue does develop, there is little research done to determine the cause. They would rather correct a machine than retrain an operator. This usually translates into down time, more PPE, conflict among coworkers, and/or PLENTY of work
  more... on the maintenance side of things. If there is down time in your area, you'll be laid off, rather than offered an alternate area to work in. This includes periods of time when they have produced more product than is rolling out the door. They simply shut down that area and lay off the workers. In this instance, it doesn't usually apply to maintenance.

The benefits are ok, but could use room for improvement. And if you're a tobacco user in any capacity, prepare to pay more. There are "discounts" available, but you must meet certain health guidelines to utilize them.

Overall, there are worse job prospects out there. But if you're a yes-man who can show up on time, adhere to the NUMEROUS PPE and safety standards, and do your job without much innovation, then go for it.
Pros
Good pay, decent benefits
Cons
VERY poor management methods, old equipment, lack of solid leadership
productive workplace everyone communicated well& was a friendly enviroment
RECEIVING INSPECTOR (Former Employee) –  Buelton CaliforniaAugust 24, 2016
sittin 6 to 8 hours a day inspecting parts through a microscope.ive learned to communicate well with others learned how to read inspection critera & certificares of conformance .Hardest part was sitting for hours at a time management & coworkers were great
This place sucks
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Brewster, NYAugust 18, 2016
It's all in the summary. It is a miserable place to work. The management cares nothing about its employees. Hated every day I worked there after it was sold to a major corporation. Two thumbs down.
Manufacturing
Accounting Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lincoln, RIJuly 25, 2016
No comment at this time - Short term temporary assignment for coverage in the accounting department.
Don't Apply
International Shipping Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, NYJuly 8, 2016
The International Shipping Coordinators position was probably the worse position in the company. The supervisor of the department didn't even know how to do the job and provided very little support and guidance. Upper management should be in politics because they make a lot of promises but don't deliver much. Materion cares more about moving material than people. Doesn't matter that half the staff in the shipping department is overworked and frustrated as long as the material moves. You will not go home on time as an International Shipper. The International Shipper position is the work of two people and upper management could care less.
Pros
Weekly pay
Cons
Poor leadership and Supervision within the department
Really nice
Bond lab tech (Former Employee) –  Brewster, NYJune 26, 2016
Awesome people to work with as well as management, the health benefits are ehh but ok, HR is the best so it makes up for it for me. I had a great time especially with the guys I worked with closely.
Pros
Free lunches, bonuses
Cons
Health benefits
Going downhill fast
Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, NYMay 19, 2016
What used to be an excellent organization that valued people and innovation is now a mere shadow of itself. Executive management is really our of touch and short sited.
Pros
Good people
Cons
falling apart
Good people at Materion
Plant Manager (Former Employee) –  Brewtster, NYFebruary 5, 2016
I enjoyed the people I worked with on a day to day basis, but I do not have good things to say about the management team that I reported to.
Pros
Good hard working people
Cons
Management team.
I would prefer to keep my comments to myself regarding Materion for right now.
Plant Manager (Former Employee) –  Brewster, NYJanuary 5, 2016
The folks that I managed were great and were easy to manage. They were the most enjoyable part of the job. I also enjoyed the challenge of the materials that we worked with.
Horrible place to work
Vault clerk (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque nmDecember 12, 2015
First of all it was supposed to be a 90 day temp to hire finally had to look for another job and when I put in my two Weeks notice they said ok will hire you the Benefits are horrible and expensive it is a click driven work place and when they gave you any type of bonus they would deduct it from my pay really!!! Everyone is out for themselves management is horrible.
Pros
Lunch for inventory
Cons
Benefits management
Local extension of a global corporation, growing and progressive
Target Area Production Lead Operator (Current Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMNovember 8, 2015
The day begins with a team meeting that includes stretching. Each team member works on material to produce quality products for our customers.
Pros
Busy schedules to accomplish
Cons
Struggles with lean personnel and breadth of cross-training
Operator (Former Employee) –  Elmore, OhioSeptember 30, 2015
Good place to work, as long as you don't mind showering out at the end of the day. Worked there for a little over a year until layoffs came around.
Good Place to work
Director (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHSeptember 22, 2015
Wish I would have stayed on with them, but my desire to live in CA pushed my decision to leave. I would definitely go back if I could
Pros
Good company to work for. Very friendly
Cons
Limited growth potential
Great company to work for
Chemical Plant Operator (Former Employee) –  Elmore, OHSeptember 19, 2015
Everyone is great to work with! Very friendly and treats the employees great. Excellent work environment and everyone takes safety seriously.
Pros
Great company benefits
The culture is not up to todays industry standard but the team atmosphere is strong with an emphasis on visual consepts.
Quality Engineer (Former Employee) –  Windsor, CtJuly 31, 2015
Bullet 1. Gemba walks, employee interaction, and data gathering.
Bullet 2. Internal Auditing and Supplier Quality
Bullet 3. Project Management internal and Customer projects
Bullet 4. Relational and knowledgeable.
Bullet 5. Getting Management buy in for change
Bullet 6. Travel, Customer and Supplier interaction
Pros
Team atmosphere
Cons
Management Operator interaction