Materion Employee Reviews

Don't Apply
International Shipping Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, NYJuly 8, 2016
The International Shipping Coordinators position was probably the worse position in the company. The supervisor of the department didn't even know how to do the job and provided very little support and guidance. Upper management should be in politics because they make a lot of promises but don't deliver much. Materion cares more about moving material than people. Doesn't matter that half the staff in the shipping department is overworked and frustrated as long as the material moves. You will not go home on time as an International Shipper. The International Shipper position is the work of two people and upper management could care less.
Pros
Weekly pay
Cons
Poor leadership and Supervision within the department
Good pay, ok benefits, bad culture.
Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Elmore, OHFebruary 12, 2017
When you start, there is a six month "orientation period," in which your performance is evaluated. At the end of that six months, they determine weather to retain or not. Be aware that anything you do wrong in that six month time frame will show up on your performance review at the end of that six month period.

The pay is great. Especially for this area. However, their pay structure leave much to be desired, as it would take nearly 8 years to reach the top tier pay.

The PPE requirements are fairly stringent, more in some areas than others. Expect to wear a respirator most of the time. You're required to take a shower at the end of the workday and are allotted time at the end of the day to do so. You must also wear company supplied clothing, right down to your underwear. Your workday starts when you get to your work area, not when you arrive at the locker room to change into your uniform.

Most of the people that work there are pleasant enough and easy to get along with. However, many of them have worked there for literally decades and are VERY resistant to ANY change. They're not the only ones, however.

By far, my biggest complaint is the management. They do not ask or care about input from operators and maintenance personnel. They will often look for the easiest and quickest solution, rather than an actual fix for the problem. When an issue does develop, there is little research done to determine the cause. They would rather correct a machine than retrain an operator. This usually translates into down time, more PPE, conflict among coworkers, and/or PLENTY of work
  more... on the maintenance side of things. If there is down time in your area, you'll be laid off, rather than offered an alternate area to work in. This includes periods of time when they have produced more product than is rolling out the door. They simply shut down that area and lay off the workers. In this instance, it doesn't usually apply to maintenance.

The benefits are ok, but could use room for improvement. And if you're a tobacco user in any capacity, prepare to pay more. There are "discounts" available, but you must meet certain health guidelines to utilize them.

Overall, there are worse job prospects out there. But if you're a yes-man who can show up on time, adhere to the NUMEROUS PPE and safety standards, and do your job without much innovation, then go for it.
Pros
Good pay, decent benefits
Cons
VERY poor management methods, old equipment, lack of solid leadership
Really nice
Bond lab tech (Former Employee) –  Brewster, NYJune 26, 2016
Awesome people to work with as well as management, the health benefits are ehh but ok, HR is the best so it makes up for it for me. I had a great time especially with the guys I worked with closely.
Pros
Free lunches, bonuses
Cons
Health benefits
productive workplace everyone communicated well& was a friendly enviroment
RECEIVING INSPECTOR (Former Employee) –  Buelton CaliforniaAugust 24, 2016
sittin 6 to 8 hours a day inspecting parts through a microscope.ive learned to communicate well with others learned how to read inspection critera & certificares of conformance .Hardest part was sitting for hours at a time management & coworkers were great
This place sucks
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Brewster, NYAugust 18, 2016
It's all in the summary. It is a miserable place to work. The management cares nothing about its employees. Hated every day I worked there after it was sold to a major corporation. Two thumbs down.
Horrible place to work
Vault clerk (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque nmDecember 12, 2015
First of all it was supposed to be a 90 day temp to hire finally had to look for another job and when I put in my two Weeks notice they said ok will hire you the Benefits are horrible and expensive it is a click driven work place and when they gave you any type of bonus they would deduct it from my pay really!!! Everyone is out for themselves management is horrible.
Pros
Lunch for inventory
Cons
Benefits management
Going downhill fast
Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, NYMay 19, 2016
What used to be an excellent organization that valued people and innovation is now a mere shadow of itself. Executive management is really our of touch and short sited.
Pros
Good people
Cons
falling apart
very dissapointing takeover of Barr Associates
Mechanical Maintenance Engineer II (Former Employee) –  Westford, MAMarch 26, 2012
Once the new company took over the old Barr Associates the job went totally down hill in every way possible typical day was not too bad unless you were being directly disrespected in front of your co-workers management was full of yes men and passive individuals who would not bring up discrepancies. My co-workers were the best if It weren;t for the management or lack there of I would still be there. being a very outspoken individual the hardest part of the job was being disrespected. the best part of the job was working with the the old school Barr personnel
Pros
people on the floor are of a family feeling
Cons
poor treatment as well as benifits
Manufacturing
Accounting Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lincoln, RIJuly 25, 2016
No comment at this time - Short term temporary assignment for coverage in the accounting department.
Microelectronics Manufacturer
Customer Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  Buffalo, NYAugust 12, 2014
Pay is ok, Benefits are ok.

Management has been steadily growing more and more ridiculous. The strong leaders are jumping ship.

Constant layoffs make job security non-existent.
This place is a joke!!! Fire you for anything!!!
Chemical Operator Pebbles Plant (Former Employee) –  Elmore, ohioMarch 29, 2014
I started working late January of 2014 and worked for two weeks and they fired me because I told them that I couldn't breath in the respirators that were given to me. NO JOKE!!!! WAS making $19.76 an hour and they just dump me without any warning or trying to help me with my respirator. WHAT A JOKE OF A COMPANY !!!'
Pros
Great money and benefits
Cons
Got fired and they fire u for anything!!!
Temp job that went wrong.
Shipping and Receiving/Driver (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMJuly 17, 2013
Even before I received the job with Materion there was problems with the company. I went on an interview where I landed the job and got a call the next day that there was an employment freeze. The company just let go 23 employees.
I got another call for a different possession with Materion and took it. Two months later the CEO of the company left and was replaced. With a new CEO and Different possession I was to work 90 days and get a review to work full time. 90 days passed with me taking a week off for my wedding (which I told them about before my hire), and because of that I had to work another 90 days to get my review.
My review was 3 out of 4 stars.
The next month after my review the company had a meeting saying that consolidation was going to happen but, it was going to take some time.
Less than a month after that I was brought to the side by my supervisor to tell me that the possession was to be dropped, and I was out.
Working with the company that made me work for 6 months with out getting benefits stunk. They prolonged the process giving me false hope and was very wrong.
The staff was delightful and hold nothing toward them but, HR department gave me such a run around that I do not recommend working for Materion.
Pros
I got to work..
Cons
Company has to many problems internally.
Good people at Materion
Plant Manager (Former Employee) –  Brewtster, NYFebruary 5, 2016
I enjoyed the people I worked with on a day to day basis, but I do not have good things to say about the management team that I reported to.
Pros
Good hard working people
Cons
Management team.
Great co-workers
Coating Technician (Former Employee) –  Westford, MAMarch 7, 2014
Materion bought out Barr Associates in October of 2011. The company went down hill from there. Lay offs almost immediately and at least twice a year since then.

Was called back after my first lay off within 4 months, laid off again this past December.

The overall environment of the company is very depressing since the buyout. No feeling of job security.
Pros
Co-workers
Cons
management
Terrible company to work for!!!
Security (Former Employee) –  Buffalo NYMarch 5, 2015
Very poor management. Treat long time employees like garbage. A company that is in a downward spiral. Feel bad for employees still working there! Stay away!!!
Pros
Half way decent pay and benefits
Cons
Unfare treatment unless your in the " club "
The culture is not up to todays industry standard but the team atmosphere is strong with an emphasis on visual consepts.
Quality Engineer (Former Employee) –  Windsor, CtJuly 31, 2015
Bullet 1. Gemba walks, employee interaction, and data gathering.
Bullet 2. Internal Auditing and Supplier Quality
Bullet 3. Project Management internal and Customer projects
Bullet 4. Relational and knowledgeable.
Bullet 5. Getting Management buy in for change
Bullet 6. Travel, Customer and Supplier interaction
Pros
Team atmosphere
Cons
Management Operator interaction
Overall employment with Materion Corp. has been a positive experience and has helped me to grow as an individual as well as a supervisor
Production Lead (Current Employee) –  Buellton, CAAugust 28, 2013
Materion's Management team has always had an open door policy and very helpful in all situations. I have enjoyed getting to know my co-workers. The hardest part of the job is not being able to meet a deadline because of circumstances beyond my control. The most enjoyable part of the job is meeting the day to day challenges of a deadline driven manufacturing company. At the end of the day feeling that I have accomplished my goals.
Pros
Flexable work schedule
Cons
healthcare
Need more money as I am single parent and I make less than what I should be making for my skills
Receptionist/Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIMarch 22, 2013
I am very busy every single day from the time I start at 7:30 am and finish at 4:00 pm. I have a variety of duties every single day and I love my job but it would be nice to be recognized by management for all I do. I am very much taken for granted by management in this company and I would like to go someplace where my good attendance and work ethic is appreciated.

My co-workers are wonderful people to work with because they are team players like me and we enjoy helping each other.

The hardest part of my job is convincing management especially a supervisor who wants perfection instead of accepting me for who I am to do what she wants me to do her way and many times I cannot ask questions about accomplishing something in my job because that is looked down upon.

I really enjoy my job because what I do is to the very best of my ability and I with my training and background I am proud of what I accomplish each day.
Pros
the hours are good and convenient for me.
Cons
not being appreciated in any capacity.
Great company to work for
Chemical Plant Operator (Former Employee) –  Elmore, OHSeptember 19, 2015
Everyone is great to work with! Very friendly and treats the employees great. Excellent work environment and everyone takes safety seriously.
Pros
Great company benefits
I would prefer to keep my comments to myself regarding Materion for right now.
Plant Manager (Former Employee) –  Brewster, NYJanuary 5, 2016
The folks that I managed were great and were easy to manage. They were the most enjoyable part of the job. I also enjoyed the challenge of the materials that we worked with.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Materion. Our community is ready to answer.

2.7