Mathis Brothers Furniture

Mathis Brothers Furniture Employee Reviews in United States

Productive place, but limited advancement.
Delivery Processing (Former Employee) –  Ontario, CAMay 24, 2016
Company as a whole is very well established and it is a good company to work for compared to other retail franchises. Promotes within when available.
Pros
Promotes within
Cons
limited advancement at career level.
A lot of walking
Staff Interior Designer and Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Indio, CANovember 5, 2015
Mathis is a huge store at over 200,000 sq feet.Very good selection of furniture. I enjoyed working with the clients in the Designer Gallery,. Most of the employees were enjoyable to work with. Management seemed to be very political with favoritism toward some of the employees.
busy
Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKJuly 5, 2016
typical day at work would consist of attending meetings, deliveries, customer pick ups redecorating the floor and straightening the floor.
Not the best!
Dont want to share (Former Employee) –  OntarioFebruary 10, 2013
Loved the job i had at the time but decided i needed to take the opportunity they offered me. They promised me great things and a better salary. I was let go 1 day before i got hired on. What a slap in the face.! I was working 7 days straight and very long hours. I was always praised for my work and yet when laid off they said i was not needed anymore. Very unethical! Since then i don't shop there, and don't recommend it to anyone. Happy employees make happy customers.
Cons
long hours. don't value many employees. management over promise
fun place to work
Seasonal Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Tulsa, OKDecember 28, 2015
Fun to interact with customers and discuss quality products that are for sale. Enjoy helping others and suggesting other products that might meet their needs. Interaction with other associates is pleasant.
Pros
Meeting People
Cons
Organization of using cash registers
WareHouse
Pre-Assembly (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKJanuary 4, 2016
Hard working guys to put furniture together everyday 7 day a week. From 11-8 or sometime late. Sometime we would have to work on Sunday Morning.
Family Oriented and Great Management support to grow in company
Internet (Current Employee) –  OKC,OKSeptember 21, 2011
This is a wonderful place to work, and the owners truly care to know all the employees,and have a business that supports a family friendly environment. With a larger company of this nature, there is always growth opportunities, and they value hard work, and are great at recognizing people who are overachievers. They are a very customer-focused organization that values feedback both from their external customers, but also from their internal customers, the employees. They make you feel like family with warm smile and a wave each time they see you, and have a great culture that is built on honesty and integrity. Also, they do everything they can for thier employees, which includes an on site wellness center to support positive employee health, a continual training program to help employees with personal growth opportunties, and wonderful compensation with 401k and insurance, just to name a few of the many great incentives this company offers its employees. Wonderful place to work!
Pros
family atmosphere, growth opportnities, great management, personal growth opportunities, integrity, more than can list
great place to work but not family freindly hours
Sales, Sales Manager, and Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKFebruary 13, 2015
Started out in Sales worked my way to sales management and then
General Manager of Thomasville Home Furnishings. Hired and
trained sales staff, office staff and warehouse staff. Ran day to day
operations met and exceeded sales goals gave weekly sales
meetings handled all delivery schedules and customer service.
Pros
enjoyed working with customers
Cons
very long hours worked 7 days a week
Not really the place for me
Material Handler (Current Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKSeptember 1, 2015
Not good training, Not enough pay work the work that is required. The responsability of some management is lacking in some areas. Too many young people with no sense of responseability
Outstanding place to work if you live in Oklahoma or Southern California!!!
Regional Sales Manager (Current Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKSeptember 21, 2011
Mathis Brothers Furniture is a company that truly cares for their employees. The prospect for success is GUARANTEED, and the opportunity for advancement is great. The owners are accessible, more than friendly, but even more anxious to let their staff know how much they are appreciated. They provide many incentives for their employees. I personally have won a 7 day Caribean cruise vacation, countless amounts of cash prizes, flat screen tv's.....the list goes on and on!!! Working for Mathis Brothers has completely changed my family's life, I'm so grateful that I applied 7 years ago.
Pros
top salaries, flexible vacation days, opportunities for advancement, state of the art wellness center, doctor and physical trainer on staff, convenient employee parking, matched 401k

Want to know more about Mathis Brothers Furniture?

Ask a question
Productive, friendly environment
Material Handler (Current Employee) –  Ontario, CAJune 30, 2014
A typical day at work, can be smooth or very busy. I've learned to assemble and disassemble furniture. Management is great, they always make ways to help their employees. My co-workers are great as well, we are like a family we help one another. The hardest part of my job, i cant say i have no complaints a job is a job, im grateful just to have a job. The most enjoyable part of may jobs is getting certificates, it helps motivate me to do even better, because i know that my hard work and dedication is being noticed.
Pros
benefits, sometimes free lunch, certificates
Cons
short breaks
High Energy Place to Work
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Ontario, CASeptember 4, 2013
Working part time at this establishment meant fitting all 20 hours into one weekend. Saturday from 9am to as late as 9 at night. Sunday from 11-7 pm. Sometimes we'd be dismissed early if the store was slow or if we had a pressing family function. The whole time we're on our feet, running around the showroom floor. The management here is quite friendly and understanding for the most part. It's definitely a numbers game with this company. If you miss your high quota a couple of times you're terminated, no matter what the reason. The camaraderie of fellow sales associates was the most enjoyable part of this job. While employed with Mathis Brothers I learned a lot about how furniture is made and how to spot a quality piece of furniture. I also learned a lot about the character of other people as well as how to better understand body language and what certain signs mean.
Pros
opportunity to make a lot of money, paid training, free lunch sometimes
Cons
on your feet all day, no job security, always guessing if merchandise would be returned, stressful
A place to really call home.
Manager (Current Employee) –  OKC, OKOctober 5, 2011
After 21 years with the company I can honestly say that the same terrific atmosphere that I get to enjoy daily is shared by each of my co-workers as well. From the top down Mathis Brothers mantra is that the employees make or break the company and that each person is a vital, indispensable part of the operation. At every level of management you will find someone that has worked their way up the ladder and has earned through their hard work more responsibility and a better position. It really is a team environment where people care for those around them, both as an employee and as a person.
Pros
great benefits
Worked there briefly
Sales (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma CityApril 9, 2015
This was the worst experience. Most employees were so so rude with the new people. Some management was good some was awful. I worked there from June 2014 to August 2014
Pros
Great cafe
Cons
Long hours no family time
A great company to work for.
Sales Executive (Former Employee) –  Indio, CAMarch 18, 2015
Come in early to review and follow up with customer orders. usually a training or meeting. Management worked hard to make sure we were all on the same page with product knowledge, The hardest part of the job was standing on my feet for 10 plus hours and walking on concrete floors. The store is over 200,000 s.f..Hard on the body.

I loved to go to work and see all my friends at work. We were one big family and we all cared for each other. Even though we competed we were still friends. You don't find that too often.
Pros
just a great company
Cons
work all weekends and holidays
Productive day, Steady paced
Material Handler (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKNovember 22, 2015
Minimum amount of workers caused work pace to increase. Too many "Higher managers" not on same page caused interruption during the work day.
very political
Furniture Shop Technician (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKJuly 22, 2015
Some lower managers are pretty cool but upper management and some lower management are terrible. it's very political there.
Pros
doesn't take a lot to be a good worker
Cons
very political
Productive workplace but horrid management
Lift Operator (Former Employee) –  Ontario, CASeptember 15, 2015
Mathis Brothers could honestly be a great workplace If they would pay a little more, and the main manager In the Warehouse would actually listen to your Ideas, and not just be disrespectful of them. Other managers are good and helpful. Workers are fun and very helpful.
Pros
Great workers
Cons
Warehouse manager
Fast paced productive environment
Senior Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKAugust 25, 2012
This position allowed me to interact with literally hundreds of people a week. This was both the most enjoyable and the hardest thing about this position. I enjoyed helping, directing, problem solving, and encouraging my sales staff to be as efficient and effective as possible. Every level of management was focused on the ultimate goal of producing revenue and were available night and day. A normal day of work began with sales strategy meetings with our teams and then hit the ground running. Throughout the day I solved virtually any problem that arose in the building from sales questions and concerns to operational hurdles. Direct customer service problems were addressed on a regular basis to prompt a quick and viable solution to upset consumers. Time management was the key thing I learned at this position. Throughout my tenor the store volume and size increased to the point you had to be very focused on using your time wisely to increase profits.
Pros
fast paced environtment with excellent benefits and management support
Cons
long retail work hours. nights and weekends are a must to be successful
Downside: Very Poor Management Upside: Employment and Insurance Benefits
Service (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma CityMay 23, 2013
To be realistic and honest, this place has gone downhill. They have hired new management who are unfortunately not very well educated to run any kind of business. Store manager and director of operations in Oklahoma City do not know how to treat their employees. They micromanage and only care about making sales. As far as Mathis bros claiming they care about you and your family here they do not. Coming into retail you must understand you will never have any weekends or holidays off... EVEN if you have earned vacation hours and want to take them they limit you on when you are able to do so. Making sales/profit is their number one priority here. Not their customers and most definitely not their employees. Everything is based on politics here any kind of contest or job advancement is based on who you know or you are doing. I used to love it here. Now this place just stresses everyone out more than helps, no fun anymore. A job is a job and if you only have this place as an option by all means take it people need to make money but be prepared this is not a place for your future. The only good thing is that you get good insurance. Other than that, poor pay in all departments, overworked, unappreciated. You can make great money in sales, but you are working 7 days. Week 24 hr days. This place is great for people who don't have families or lives. The HR department is not ran well either. Nothing is confidential. Terrible, every department in OKC is very short handed due to management not wanting to hire because they say there is a "budget" if I owned this multi million dollar company  more... it would always be ran efficiently and customer satisfaction would be number one priority not making sure I pinch every penny I can for my pocket -even if it means poor service. You can't do your job without someone hovering behind you. You will always be told what is wrong not ever praised for good work. It is so hard to stay positive in this environment. Get away if you can.  less

Mathis Brothers Furniture Reviews by Location