Mathis Brothers Furniture

Mathis Brothers Furniture Employee Reviews

Downside: Very Poor Management Upside: Employment and Insurance Benefits
Service (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma CityMay 23, 2013
To be realistic and honest, this place has gone downhill. They have hired new management who are unfortunately not very well educated to run any kind of business. Store manager and director of operations in Oklahoma City do not know how to treat their employees. They micromanage and only care about making sales. As far as Mathis bros claiming they care about you and your family here they do not. Coming into retail you must understand you will never have any weekends or holidays off... EVEN if you have earned vacation hours and want to take them they limit you on when you are able to do so. Making sales/profit is their number one priority here. Not their customers and most definitely not their employees. Everything is based on politics here any kind of contest or job advancement is based on who you know or you are doing. I used to love it here. Now this place just stresses everyone out more than helps, no fun anymore. A job is a job and if you only have this place as an option by all means take it people need to make money but be prepared this is not a place for your future. The only good thing is that you get good insurance. Other than that, poor pay in all departments, overworked, unappreciated. You can make great money in sales, but you are working 7 days. Week 24 hr days. This place is great for people who don't have families or lives. The HR department is not ran well either. Nothing is confidential. Terrible, every department in OKC is very short handed due to management not wanting to hire because they say there is a "budget" if I owned this multi million dollar company  more... it would always be ran efficiently and customer satisfaction would be number one priority not making sure I pinch every penny I can for my pocket -even if it means poor service. You can't do your job without someone hovering behind you. You will always be told what is wrong not ever praised for good work. It is so hard to stay positive in this environment. Get away if you can.  less
Challenging, and fun work environment. Great co-workers, great pay, great benefits.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKAugust 5, 2014
You start your day off with a sales meeting. Every day except Sunday. Most of these meetings are not necessary. Once a week would be enough. You will very quickly learn through interactions with customers that you cannot have a one size fits all solution for talking to people. Every customer requires something different and you have to be very adaptive. My experience with management is rocky. In 2 years I had four different managers. Only one of which was a true professional. Upper management needs work. In sales you will have over 100 different co workers at least. So finding someone you fit in with and connect with is easy. 99% of your co-workers will be likable which is good because you will spend a lot of time with them. The hardest part of the job is all the down time, the roller coaster ride of fast and slow paced days. Even if you are very adaptable it can be difficult to adjust to a slow paced day after a fast paced day and vice-versa. I would say what is harder than that is the amount they ask from you. Not because you always work, or work extra hours, but because no one ever says thank you. Which can make a HUGE difference in a company. The best part of the job is that it is very rewarding. There is an overwhelming feeling of success when you close a sale and help someone find exactly what they need.
Pros
good pay, challenging work
Cons
no breaks, no lunch break, always work weekends
High Energy Place to Work
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Ontario, CASeptember 4, 2013
Working part time at this establishment meant fitting all 20 hours into one weekend. Saturday from 9am to as late as 9 at night. Sunday from 11-7 pm. Sometimes we'd be dismissed early if the store was slow or if we had a pressing family function. The whole time we're on our feet, running around the showroom floor. The management here is quite friendly and understanding for the most part. It's definitely a numbers game with this company. If you miss your high quota a couple of times you're terminated, no matter what the reason. The camaraderie of fellow sales associates was the most enjoyable part of this job. While employed with Mathis Brothers I learned a lot about how furniture is made and how to spot a quality piece of furniture. I also learned a lot about the character of other people as well as how to better understand body language and what certain signs mean.
Pros
opportunity to make a lot of money, paid training, free lunch sometimes
Cons
on your feet all day, no job security, always guessing if merchandise would be returned, stressful
Fast paced productive environment
Senior Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKAugust 25, 2012
This position allowed me to interact with literally hundreds of people a week. This was both the most enjoyable and the hardest thing about this position. I enjoyed helping, directing, problem solving, and encouraging my sales staff to be as efficient and effective as possible. Every level of management was focused on the ultimate goal of producing revenue and were available night and day. A normal day of work began with sales strategy meetings with our teams and then hit the ground running. Throughout the day I solved virtually any problem that arose in the building from sales questions and concerns to operational hurdles. Direct customer service problems were addressed on a regular basis to prompt a quick and viable solution to upset consumers. Time management was the key thing I learned at this position. Throughout my tenor the store volume and size increased to the point you had to be very focused on using your time wisely to increase profits.
Pros
fast paced environtment with excellent benefits and management support
Cons
long retail work hours. nights and weekends are a must to be successful
Family Oriented and Great Management support to grow in company
Internet (Current Employee) –  OKC,OKSeptember 21, 2011
This is a wonderful place to work, and the owners truly care to know all the employees,and have a business that supports a family friendly environment. With a larger company of this nature, there is always growth opportunities, and they value hard work, and are great at recognizing people who are overachievers. They are a very customer-focused organization that values feedback both from their external customers, but also from their internal customers, the employees. They make you feel like family with warm smile and a wave each time they see you, and have a great culture that is built on honesty and integrity. Also, they do everything they can for thier employees, which includes an on site wellness center to support positive employee health, a continual training program to help employees with personal growth opportunties, and wonderful compensation with 401k and insurance, just to name a few of the many great incentives this company offers its employees. Wonderful place to work!
Pros
family atmosphere, growth opportnities, great management, personal growth opportunities, integrity, more than can list
Outstanding place to work if you live in Oklahoma or Southern California!!!
Regional Sales Manager (Current Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKSeptember 21, 2011
Mathis Brothers Furniture is a company that truly cares for their employees. The prospect for success is GUARANTEED, and the opportunity for advancement is great. The owners are accessible, more than friendly, but even more anxious to let their staff know how much they are appreciated. They provide many incentives for their employees. I personally have won a 7 day Caribean cruise vacation, countless amounts of cash prizes, flat screen tv's.....the list goes on and on!!! Working for Mathis Brothers has completely changed my family's life, I'm so grateful that I applied 7 years ago.
Pros
top salaries, flexible vacation days, opportunities for advancement, state of the art wellness center, doctor and physical trainer on staff, convenient employee parking, matched 401k
Customer Focused, Fun and Friendly place to work!
Director of Operations (Current Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKAugust 31, 2011
Mathis Brothers has proven to be an industry leader in furniture and home decor for over 50 years! Its also an outstanding work environment for energectic, positive, and friendly people that have a sense to succeed. I've been a part of the team since 1997 and had many opportunities to grow within the company. A few friends of mine joined me, one summer break, in the warehouse loading out customer orders. Several of us have continued to take on additional responsibilities over the years that align with our skill sets. Each one of us, along with every employee, play an important role in serving our customers and continuing to make Mathis Brothers a place to be proud of. I would encourage you to join the us!
Pros
opportunity, a place where one helps another to succeed, care and compassion for customers and employees
Never a dull moment and everyday is a different day.
Executive Assistant (Current Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKAugust 31, 2011
I have worked at Mathis Brothers for 8.5 years and love it. I started as an entry level cashier and have worked my way up over the years. Mathis Brothers is a family friendly environment and a fun place to work. There are many perks that come with the hard work. One thing I value most is they allow us to have a life balance and encourage a healthy work enviroment by providing us a gym that we can work out at on our before work, after work, or during our lunch. I feel this is very important. It's a place where when you leave at the end of the day you know they care about their employees.
Pros
fun and friendly work environment, onsight gym
A place to really call home.
Manager (Current Employee) –  OKC, OKOctober 5, 2011
After 21 years with the company I can honestly say that the same terrific atmosphere that I get to enjoy daily is shared by each of my co-workers as well. From the top down Mathis Brothers mantra is that the employees make or break the company and that each person is a vital, indispensable part of the operation. At every level of management you will find someone that has worked their way up the ladder and has earned through their hard work more responsibility and a better position. It really is a team environment where people care for those around them, both as an employee and as a person.
Pros
great benefits
Productive, friendly environment
Material Handler (Current Employee) –  Ontario, CAJune 30, 2014
A typical day at work, can be smooth or very busy. I've learned to assemble and disassemble furniture. Management is great, they always make ways to help their employees. My co-workers are great as well, we are like a family we help one another. The hardest part of my job, i cant say i have no complaints a job is a job, im grateful just to have a job. The most enjoyable part of may jobs is getting certificates, it helps motivate me to do even better, because i know that my hard work and dedication is being noticed.
Pros
benefits, sometimes free lunch, certificates
Cons
short breaks

Want to know more about Mathis Brothers Furniture?

Ask a question
A great company to work for.
Sales Executive (Former Employee) –  Indio, CAMarch 18, 2015
Come in early to review and follow up with customer orders. usually a training or meeting. Management worked hard to make sure we were all on the same page with product knowledge, The hardest part of the job was standing on my feet for 10 plus hours and walking on concrete floors. The store is over 200,000 s.f..Hard on the body.

I loved to go to work and see all my friends at work. We were one big family and we all cared for each other. Even though we competed we were still friends. You don't find that too often.
Pros
just a great company
Cons
work all weekends and holidays
Industry Leading furniture retailer
buyer (Current Employee) –  oklahoma citySeptember 26, 2011
I've been working at Mathis Brothers since Jan 2003. I've seen so much change and progress for the company in that time. That's really an accomplishment considering the company has been around for ages. They continue to innovate and stay ahead of the competition and other retailers. It's a really great working environment, a place where people care about their job, care about each other, and try to treat the customers right. I've had opportunity to advance through the ranks, and have seen many others grow up in the company also. It's great to work for a company that's growing and thriving and stable in this difficult economy! Also love the people I work with :)
Good people
LOGISTICS MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKFebruary 27, 2014
First I would show up and turn on the computers and start to put in what people bought the night before so in could be delivered. Then I would help open the doors so customers could pick up merchandise that they want now, thru out the day I would help co-workers load merchandise on truck, also I would put the merchandise into the lift trucks onboard so they could drop the merchandise off when it needed to go. I learned how to do Microsoft office and word and outlook plus alot of others. I enjoyed learning new things here and hope to learn more.
Pros
1 hr lunch
Not the best!
Dont want to share (Former Employee) –  OntarioFebruary 10, 2013
Loved the job i had at the time but decided i needed to take the opportunity they offered me. They promised me great things and a better salary. I was let go 1 day before i got hired on. What a slap in the face.! I was working 7 days straight and very long hours. I was always praised for my work and yet when laid off they said i was not needed anymore. Very unethical! Since then i don't shop there, and don't recommend it to anyone. Happy employees make happy customers.
Cons
long hours. don't value many employees. management over promise

Comment – February 22, 2013

As Im reading these comments I have to laugh! I use to work for this place for years and to read that people that are current and former employees that have nothing but nice things to say is a JOKE!! this is by far the worst place to work! Everything about this company is unprofessional! You are promised so many things and you get nothing! Pay is changed on you over and over! You never know what the right way or wrong way is because the left hand NEVER knows what the RIGHT hand is doing! Mangement SUCKS!!!! The only way you will ever move up in this company is if you are sleeping with someone in mangment or you are part of someones family that is sleeping with someone in managment. If this is your only job you can get then go for it!! If you have other optionsPLEASE for the LOVE of GOD use them!!!!

Great Employment Adventure
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKApril 30, 2012
Typical day at Mathis brothers starts with a team meeting, new products and sales goals are discussed. I've learned that dreams can come true and anything can be achieved with hard work and the ability to learn and grow. My team is like a family, we help each other through daily challenges like being treated poorly by customers and feeling like we are in a shark tank.
The most enjoyable part of Mathis brothers is that their are never ending possiblitys.
Pros
free breakfast on saturdays, great opportunitys for extra cash.
Cons
long work hours

Comment – June 23, 2012

I woul love to work here.

Great place to work. Lots of opportunity to excel.
store manager (Current Employee) –  Ontario, CaSeptember 21, 2011
I have been at this company since 2001 and in the industry 30 years. I have always been given great support for both myself and my family. It is a workplace that you are happy when driving in to work because you know you work with and for good people. It feels good to know that you can take care of customers the way they deserve. Being a busy woman it is great to know you are listened to, respected and appreciated. This is not just a job, it is a family.
Pros
great working environment, lots of smiles
Fun work environment
Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKApril 28, 2012
I open the reception area 4 days a week. The hardest part of my job is not being able to be more helpful to customers because I have to transfer them to a different department. My co-workers are amazing, I work with 4 other ladies including my manager and we all seem to get along extremely well.
Pros
free lunch on saturday and sunday
Cons
schedule constantly changes, required to work nights and every weekend, some managers are unprofessional
Employee and Customer Focused
Information Technology Director (Current Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKSeptember 21, 2011
I feel extremely lucky to be a person that looks forward to going to work everyday and this company is the primary reason. In fact, one of the core values is "A fun and friendly environment." Mathis Brothers strives to promote within, and I am proof that you can start at the bottom and work your way up. This is a fast-paced, forward-looking company that invests in its employees.
Pros
family oriented, positive work environment, onsite gym, great benefits
Great Place To Work!
e-Commerce Director (Current Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKAugust 10, 2011
I have been employed with Mathis Brothers Furniture since 2004 and I have worked in several departments around the store. It has provided great opportunities for educational growth, at work and home. Mathis values employee retention and focuses on training within and promoting within. As proof the Mathis family has recently made an investment in their employees by opening the Mathis University, which focuses on providing additional training and educational benefits for all of us. I love the company and the people!
Busy and Interesting
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKApril 29, 2014
I answered the phones and direct internal and externals to departments and employees. When a fax came in I would get it to the person it was addressed to as well as fax for employees and customers as needed. I also greeted customers as they entered and exited the store. If needed, I directed customers to specific areas. I prepared air bills for FedEx and scheduled pickups for packages and took packages that had been delivered to the appropriate person. Another duty was to enter customer surveys into the computer system.