Mathnasium Employee Reviews in United States

The focus is for kids to enjoy math.
Lead Instructor (Current Employee) –  Boise, IDMarch 28, 2016
If you have strong fundamentals in mathematics and love working with kids it's a great side job to earn some extra cash. To have a cushion you need to be a "director" of a center to have full time pay and benefits.
Instructor
Instructor (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLNovember 19, 2015
I enjoyed working here part time while I was in college. The afternoon hours allowed me to not interfere with my school schedule, and I received a 10% raise after one year.
Fun, important, interactive
Instructor (Current Employee) –  Bethesda, MDMay 7, 2016
There are no typical days, you really have to think on your feet. You could be working with three or four students simultaneously, and they each have different personal needs and coursework. You could have a little eight year old boy with autism, a twelve year old girl whose second language is English, a high school student working on SAT prep, and another with severe ADHD. I learned how valuable being part of a team is in a workplace, because you can always count on your co-workers. It also has taught me a lot of patience and skills working with children. The hardest part of the job is trying to find new ways to explain a topic to a student, after you've tried everything you know how to, but it's great because you'll end up finding a new way to look at problems, and it helps to keep your mind fresh. The best part of the job only happens about 5% of the time, if you're lucky. It's when you're explaining a topic to a student who historically struggles with it, and then it clicks in their mind and they get it. It's very rewarding.
Pros
Fun
Cons
No scheduled breaks, but there are peaks and valleys
m
Tutor/Mentor (Former Employee) –  Pooler, GASeptember 24, 2015
not a good experience, limited hours, also management was terrible at my location. Other locations and owner better. Hourly compensation for skills not good.
Great company, always busy.
Math Instructor (Current Employee) –  Whitefish Bay, WIMarch 22, 2016
Great company, the concepts work and I see them in action every day. Sometimes it gets hectic, but we always find ways to make sure that every student is receiving the best instruction possible. The hardest part of the job is that we are almost always busy. It seems that from open until close we are rushing back and forth. Teaching is done, it's just done in short, easy to digest bites. The most enjoyable part of the job is watching a student go from being confused to finally understanding a concept.
Cons
Difficult to keep a good student to instructor ratio.
Rewarding Part-Time Job
Instructor, Mathnasium of Andorra (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAApril 19, 2015
If you are great at math and love kids, it is a very rewarding place to work. The children and parents are very thankful for the work you help them with, and it is a great feeling to see the joy a student gets when they finally understand a concept. The provided curriculum and progress tracking methods provided by mathnasium do work rather well. The only draw back is that it can at times become more like working at a day care when you get stuck with a difficult student. It can be a rewarding job, but do not forget that it is intended to be part time, so if you are looking for a salary, you are looking in the wrong place.
Fun workplace environment and caring co-workers
Learning Center Instructor (Current Employee) –  Darien, CTApril 15, 2016
The best part of the job is definitely working with the students. Being able to teach them while making it a fun learning environment is what I like best about it. The managers are all nice and understanding. They are patient and help instructors out whenever necessary without being rude.
Great place to work for more job experience
Tutor (Current Employee) –  Woodstock, GAJune 20, 2016
As a tutor, I get to develop relationships with the students that come in for math help. Each student is different and unique and my fun part of the job is see them grow and understand math better than before
Pros
Great co-workers
Cons
Not alot of hours for pay
Enjoyable but limited work
Instructor (Former Employee) –  La Jolla, CAMarch 29, 2016
This is a great job for a student who needs supplemental income. Pay is a bit low for tutoring work but is set by the company's approach to tutoring which is not one-to-one. Hours are straightforward and work is pleasant so it is, again, ideal for a student.
Good workplace
Math Instructor (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXMay 19, 2016
I cleaned the room, instructed kids in math, graded their papers and generally watched over to make sure they were on task, not distracted etc. This job helped my leadership skills and taught me how to motivate people to work harder.
Productive and Fun work environment
MATH COACH (Current Employee) –  Saint Johns, FLApril 9, 2016
The environment provided by the people at mathnasium has been first class. The kids that come in to learn are always happy with the mathematical information they've been provided.
A good part-time job
Math tutor (Current Employee) –  Boynton Beach, FLFebruary 25, 2016
Mathnasium provides a relaxing environment which fosters learning and critical thinking math skills. Co-workers are dependable and friendly. It is enjoyable to work with supportive staff and inquisitive students alike!
Fun workplace if you like working with kids
Instructor (Current Employee) –  Kingwood, TXNovember 27, 2013
The typical day will be spend with 2-3 students at a time for 1 hour intervals, a good knowledge of all Math through high school is required. My experience with my management has been great, and I love my co- workers, though you really spend most of your time working on your own with the students. The hardest part of the job is always the students that don't wanna work or learn, and discovering how to motivate them. The most enjoyable job is when a kid brings in a progress report or report card showing how much they've improved with your help.
Pros
limited hours
Cons
limited hours, no benefits
Unexpected but Exciting
Mathematics Tutor (Current Employee) –  Deer Park, TXOctober 6, 2015
4 students per tutor with rotating tutors keeps each student on their feet. Boring when each tutor has 1 or 2 students, due to lack of student questions. Curriculum is easy to learn and interesting, but doesn't always help students. This job is more exciting when the tutors socialize with each other and the students. Students choose when to come to the center, so there may be dead days where tutors are forced to go home early.
Pros
No early mornings, friendly environment, math, games
Cons
Slow work days, poor pay, part-time
Instructor (Current Employee) –  Apex, NCDecember 18, 2014
I love working at Mathnasium. It is very rewarding to teach the students. The management is great and the coworkers are friendly.

The hardest part about the job is the pay and benefits are lacking.
Pros
great work environment, rewarding
Cons
pay
Good Part Time Job
Math Instructor (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAJune 21, 2015
It's a lot to juggle at first, but once you get the hang of it, being a math instructor is a great job. Some centers have a lot of kids, and it can be a fun challenge. Other centers serve less kids, and it can be a very chill environment to work in.

I learned a lot about how kids actually learn math, and it was eye-opening for me.

If you're a really good instructor, there are opportunities for full-time positions like lead instructor (helps with assessments and general management) or center director. Even if you are in one of these positions, you still have to teach sometimes, so don't take this job if you don't LOVE kids!
Pros
good pay, short shifts, fun environment, never work on Friday
Cons
Saturday hours, Max 20 hours a week
Fun environment with friendly people
instructor (Current Employee) –  Richardson, TXNovember 5, 2015
A typical day is where you would go in and wait until kids come. You would then go through the material with them in a timely manner as we only have an hour of their time. After the material we helot them with homework if they have any or they can pay games.
Effective and efficient tutoring center
Instructor (Current Employee) –  Rancho Santa Margarita, CAAugust 24, 2015
Most days involve 15 minutes of preparation (cleaning windows, tables, etc), 3-4 hours of answering students' questions and checking work, and approximately 45 minutes of preparing students' binders for the following day.

Management is professional, well-coordinated, and friendly.
Pros
Fast-paced work, Occasional company pizza nights
Cons
Awkward schedule
Fun workplace with energetic instructors
Math Instructor (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CANovember 11, 2015
Mathnasium is a great place for kids because they really learn the fundamentals. The instructors are passionate and very good at teaching, thus students always enjoy their time there.
Great if you enjoy math
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Orange Park, FLNovember 9, 2015
Helped students understand their math homework
Helped me stay current on math practices
It was fun teaching children of all ages on how math can be fun.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Closed in 2008

4.3