Mathnasium

Mathnasium Employee Reviews

Good Part Time Job
Math Instructor (Former Employee), Richmond, VAJune 21, 2015
Pros: good pay, short shifts, fun environment, never work on Friday
Cons: Saturday hours, Max 20 hours a week
It's a lot to juggle at first, but once you get the hang of it, being a math instructor is a great job. Some centers have a lot of kids, and it can be a fun challenge. Other centers serve less kids, and it can be a very chill environment to work in.

I learned a lot about how kids actually learn math, and it was eye-opening for me.

If you're a really good instructor, there are opportunities for full-time positions like lead instructor (helps with assessments and general management) or center director. Even if you are in one of these positions, you still have to teach sometimes, so don't take this job if you don't LOVE kids!
Excellent place for part time only
Math Instructor (Former Employee), San Diego, CAMay 27, 2015
Pros: Short hours, great location
Cons: Fluctuating levels of work, working with small children
While the part time position is a clear choice for a foot in the door experience, there is little room for growth and the tutoring seems to become monotonous at times. The management and coworkers are extremely helpful and friendly, and the environment is a great one over all. Sometimes when the demand is low you would get shoo'd out, especially with the hourly pay, which is a little frustrating.
Great, fulfilling place to work. Low-stress environment.
K-12 Math Tutor (Current Employee), Oviedo, FLMay 15, 2015
Pros: Great environment, enjoyable workplace
Cons: Part-time hours
Mathnasium is a great place to work due to the effectiveness of its methods, as well as the lack of stress one receives as an employee (at least, at the Oviedo Mathnasium). I find myself surprised at the end of my shift because the time has gone by so quickly, and happy when I hear that the students I've been helping have done well. I also have the benefit of a generous boss and friendly co-workers, so that always helps.
Rewarding Part-Time Job
Instructor, Mathnasium of Andorra (Former Employee), Philadelphia, PAApril 19, 2015
If you are great at math and love kids, it is a very rewarding place to work. The children and parents are very thankful for the work you help them with, and it is a great feeling to see the joy a student gets when they finally understand a concept. The provided curriculum and progress tracking methods provided by mathnasium do work rather well. The only draw back is that it can at times become more like working at a day care when you get stuck with a difficult student. It can be a rewarding job, but do not forget that it is intended to be part time, so if you are looking for a salary, you are looking in the wrong place.
Makes Math fun for Everyone
Math Instructor (Current Employee), Glen Rock, NJApril 9, 2015
A day in Mathnasium may be tiring mentally from all that thinking and keeping every kid at work, but everyday there is always a moment that will give me my stress reliever. Kids can be very hard to deal with but a lot of times, you just have to know exactly how to deal with and you'll realize, being with them and teaching them is fun!
Good work after school to help students with math.
Mathematics Tutor (Former Employee), Johns Creek, GAMarch 28, 2015
Pros: Learned a lot from the job in terms of math and being an instructor.
Cons: No breaks during the job, so sometimes, it got tiring.
Was great to help students with a subject I was proficient at. Using the Mathnasium method was a bit difficult, but eventually, the students would understand what errors they were making. Co-workers were very nice, and the hours were manageable.
Fun environment that is focused on seeing students succeed
Instructor (Current Employee), Oklahoma City, OKMarch 9, 2015
I am currently in training, but our Mathnasium location is flexible to what training method/time schedule works best for the employee, depending how they learn the best.

A typical day includes sitting at a table and doing everything from tutoring, instructing, and coaching students in math. Math instructors take on 3 students at a time of all ages.

I'm learning valuable coaching skills, as well as developing communication skills with an emphasis on having clear and concise explanations of mathematical concepts.

Management really wants to see the students succeed in math in school, and is really open about trying new things and listening to the employee's ideas. Co-workers are similarly inspired with seeing students succeed and their great attitude creates the positive environment at Mathnasium.
Great environment to work
Assistant Center Director (Former Employee), CaliforniaJanuary 29, 2015
Great place to work. I help change kids lives everyday by instilling confidence in their mathematical abilities. At Mathnasium you teach kids effective strategies to help their problem solving abilities.
great staff and great kids I really like it
One on one/small group tutor/ Weekend Director (Current Employee), redmond, WAJanuary 24, 2015
I come in and almost always there is a student to begin working with. You have to learn very quickly to recognize learning styles and adapt to them for optimal efficiency. We work as a group and in many instances as a single unit. The hardest part of the job is also the most enjoyable which are the students. Some students have more serious issues and require more attention this can cause a concentration of energy which makes less available for others. That can be stressful but its always satisfying.
Amazing place to work as a student
Tutor (Former Employee), League CityJanuary 21, 2015
If you have amazing math skills, and can explain math to someone like they are 5, then this place is for you. It is better suited for someone who is a student since the hours start after school ends.

Mathnasium is different than other math tutoring places so don't expect to hit the ground running. You will have to learn their process, but after that, helping the kids is no problem.
Great approach to math teaching
Co-op instructor (Former Employee), Cohasset, MAJanuary 16, 2015
Pros: fun co workers and students
Cons: work late in the day, afternoon through nighttime
They have a very interesting and successful approach to teaching math, with an emphasis on letting students discover concepts on their own rather than a lecture style of teaching.
Instructor (Current Employee), Apex, NCDecember 18, 2014
Pros: great work environment, rewarding
Cons: pay
I love working at Mathnasium. It is very rewarding to teach the students. The management is great and the coworkers are friendly.

The hardest part about the job is the pay and benefits are lacking.
Challenging yet fun and interesting work environment
Administrator/Instructor (Former Employee), Chatham, NJJune 18, 2014
Typically, I would arrive at work in the morning, the time varying on the amount of admin work I had to complete. From 2:30pm-7:00pm I would switch over to an instructor role and work with the students. The best thing I've learned from this job was how to approach people from different view points. Not everyone student (or person) responds to instructions the same way, so much of the time I would have to be creative in my explanations. Working with the students was definitely the most enjoyable part of the job.

My coworkers and I got along very well, since my brother and a friend already work there. Our center director was very understanding and helpful and even took us out to brunch!
Productive and makes a difference in children's lives
Tutor (Current Employee), San Diego, CAApril 15, 2014
Working at Mathnasium, you usually tutor a child for 10 minutes and move on to the next child. The child range from 2nd- 12th grade. Everyone is very friendly and its a little fast paced sometimes but it never gets stressful. Hardest part of my job is control the younger children to focus and stay in their seats. Most enjoyable part of my job is knowing I'm making a difference and also joking around with co-workers and the children.
Making math fun
Math Tutor (Former Employee), San Clemente, CAFebruary 27, 2014
Pros: great atmosphere
Cons: low pay
I helped children with their math homework. I also helped college students on their math homework as well. I loved getting to know the kids and having a relationship with them and their parents.
Easy-going and rewarding job
Assistant Instructor (Former Employee), The Woodlands, TXJanuary 14, 2014
Pros: flexible hours, fun job, sweet kids
Each day, I would check the child's progress sheet and help them learn basic math facts. I would assist with homework and record the child's completed pages. When parents would arrive to pick up their kid, I would explain the child's progress and what they accomplished that day. It was very rewarding to watch a child who couldn't add grow and progress to the point that they could multiply and divide without counting fingers, using paper, or a calculator.
Fun place to work at with awesome kids!
Math Tutor - Grades K-12 (Former Employee), Austin, TXDecember 28, 2013
Enjoyed tutoring at Mathnasium an the kids were fantastic. Teaching them various math learning styles made the job challenging and fun for me. This job definitely taught me the virtue of understanding that while some kids learn quickly what you teach them, others take time and you have be to patient with them. My co-workers were amazing and helpful in sharing information on how to teach some of the kids that they have had before so that my job can be easier as well as kids job in terms of learning.
Great place to hone your math skills.
Math Instructor (Former Employee), San Antonio, TXNovember 30, 2013
Very relaxed and easy going pace to help kids learn math. Great place to meet people in the community.
Fun workplace if you like working with kids
Instructor (Current Employee), Kingwood, TXNovember 27, 2013
Pros: limited hours
Cons: limited hours, no benefits
The typical day will be spend with 2-3 students at a time for 1 hour intervals, a good knowledge of all Math through high school is required. My experience with my management has been great, and I love my co- workers, though you really spend most of your time working on your own with the students. The hardest part of the job is always the students that don't wanna work or learn, and discovering how to motivate them. The most enjoyable job is when a kid brings in a progress report or report card showing how much they've improved with your help.
Fun, good place to learn Math
Mathematics Instructor (Current Employee), Dublin, CANovember 13, 2013
Fun, enjoyable and very satisfying helping students build a strong foundation on Math

Mathnasium Salaries