Matrix Absence Management

Matrix Absence Management Employee Reviews in United States

Growing Company
Integrated Case Manager/Operations Manager (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZApril 11, 2016
smaller company - can be difficult to promote within
commute is far from me
The hardest part of job is phone calls since there is no call center
A learning experience
Intake Coordinator/Customer Care Specialist (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZMarch 28, 2016
I learned a lot about patience and some about short-term disability and the Family/Federal Medical Leave Act. That is all that I can say about this company.
Failed Promises
Claims Examiner III (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZMarch 7, 2016
Clients have left in droves along with a high turn-over rate among employees. Management has been taking company in wrong direction.
Contact Care Specialist I
Contact Care Specialist I (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJanuary 18, 2016
Contact center or call center. Filing FMLA and Short term disability for employee for varies companies.Taking over 100 call per day. Long hours, short breaks, not life balance. The company cares more about there numbers then there employee. Management has their favorites. Management is unprofessional and talks badly about there employee behide there back. This was the worst call center job I have ever had. If your looking for a job security, opportunity to move up, work life balance, caring employer. KEEP LOOKING THIS IS NOT THE JOB FOR YOU
Pros
Great benefit
Cons
Long hours, Management, Points System, Life Balance
a very nice place to work
Technician (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZNovember 5, 2015
receiving medical information over the phone, contacting clients and medical offices to update information,a lot of place for professional grow up in company
Management plays favorates
Integrated Claims Examiner (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZAugust 6, 2015
This company is ran by people whom choose their friends over other things and make workers whom really need the job live under a radar. If you end up not being liked on a personal level, they will find a way to get rid of you.
Pros
Work place massages
Cons
Favoritism
Productive Non-micromanaged Environment
Account Management Specialist I (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJuly 21, 2015
A typical work day consists of working out of a leave of absence system and also a short term disability system. Both systems houses 'tasks" that will need to be completed by the end of the business day. typically there are about 40-50 tasks that need to be completed in total in both systems. Claims examiner will also need to review emails which have to be responded same day if the came in before 3pm and also check voicemail and return phone calls from previous day and any calls made present day before 3pm. I work on a team of about 12 other examiners but we all have different case loads. I have 2 assistants and I have 2 clients that I manage. The hardest part of m job is phone calls. I get about 20-25 phone calls a day and having to manage my work load and emails make answering the phone difficult and returning calls difficult at times. Also most of our work load requires a work day of 10+hrs. Most enjoyable part of my job is not being micromanaged. Our manage trusts us enough to know that we will do everything in our power to get the job done. We are one of the hardest working teams in our company.
Pros
Non-Micromanaged environment
Cons
Long work hours, stressful at times, high call volume
Hard working, Reliable, Very Friendly. Out of box thinker.
Intake Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJune 22, 2015
Answer calls from clientele that need medical or work injury or personal leaves from work and, process those applications for the client.
How each leave works. How the government plays a crucial role in these leaves. How to use the correct empathy phrases for the condition that is presented by the client.
Management goals are not what i am comfortable with in regards to the position i work.
Listening to all the sad stories, disabilities and deaths, especially with small children.
Knowing i am there to help and make a difference for people in regards to not loosing there jobs and, getting paid while they heal from their situation.
Pros
Great benefits, Flexible shifts
Cons
Managements lax in customer care internally and externally
Operation Superviosr
Operations Superviosr (Current Employee) –  Phoenix ArizonaMay 5, 2015
I loved this company as I received experience with FMLA, Short term disability, ADA products, management, mentoring, training. Payroll, performance reviews. The company does not pay that well but the experience is there.
N/a
Short Term Disability Integrated Claims Examiner (Current Employee) –  Austin, texasApril 13, 2015
Process about 30-45 claims per day - Deal with Supervisors and employees on a daily basis. - Calculate benefits, issue pay.

docuement thought process, back-up co-workers - assist co-workers.
Fast paced environment with excessive work load/person
Integrated Claims Examiner (Former Employee) –  Peoria, AZMarch 10, 2015
Great sense of gratification knowing that you are providing a great service to others in a time of need.

Upon interviewing, information is given to indicate that average work load is 80-100 integrated claims when in all actuality, typical work load averages from 200-300, integrated as well as stand-alone claims.

Management severely lacks focus and direction as well as motivation to teams. No follow-up or follow through is provided on a consistent basis. No one teams functions or operates in the same manner as any other team on the floor.

There really isn't much room or opportunity for growth within the company. No real additional training or shadowing provided for those that want to learn a different skill set.

The hardest part of the job is being consistent across the board on the processes and procedures for working claims. Taught one thing in training only be told to do entirely different steps once on the "floor".
Pros
greater knowledge base of integrated claims
Cons
no opportunity to move up; no balanced work/life; inconsistent management
Great Co-workers
INTEGRATED CLAIMS EXAMINER (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZFebruary 26, 2015
Working at Matrix increased my knowledge of FMLA administration tremendously. Working with clients all over the country brought knowledge in all state laws.
Pros
compensation, benefits
Cons
long work hours
Demanding and productive workplace
Claims Examiner II-LOA (Current Employee) –  Hawthorne, NYFebruary 16, 2015
I have 5 clients that I am responsible for which is about 300 people that I handle medical leaves for. My typical day is answering phones and making calls to clients. I review medical that comes in and either approve or deny claims. I interact daily with my co-workes, managment and my clients. Completing all of your tasks for the day is the hardest part of the job but with time management and priortizing my work, I am able to complete this task. The best part of the day if being with my co-workers.
Pros
the ability to work from home.
Cons
vacation/holiday/all personal days off is not realistic.
Its been overal ok
FMLA/STD Integrated Claims Examiner (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJanuary 12, 2015
You get to discuss issues with co-workers or with Management. Handling alot of claims, and answer alot of phone calls
Excellent Environment
Sr. Integrated Claims Examiner (Current Employee) –  Hawthorne, New YorkDecember 4, 2014
Matrix is one of the rare employers which allows their employees the Autonomy to work independently with minimal supervision while provided guidance where it is required. Co-workers are helpful and also "team" oriented.
Pros
autonomy, relaxed environment
Cons
minimal growth opportunities
Fun and Exciting Job with lots of room for advancement, with opportunities for obtaining good work experience
Integrated Claims Examiner (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZNovember 1, 2014
A typical day at work:

Come in, check email, make phone calls, look at what needs attention first, process claims, review medical, meet with the boss about something, meet with the nurse about something, chat with co-workers, collaborate, discuss, and make decisions on disability and FMLA claims, respond to emails, confirm surgeries took place, check the mail, the fax machine, notify employee's and employers of decisions, via email, phone call, and by letter. write the denial letter if denied, write the approval letter if approved, provide customer service.

What was learned:

How to type fast, write professional letters, how to work with many different personalities in the co-worker setting, what key words too look for in the medical records, durations on what is and is not normal for certain surgeries, FMLA rules and regulations, quality control, multitasking, and attention to detail, all while maintaining a professional and respectable approach to anything and everything that could come up taking nothing personal.

Management:

The management was like any other management, learning, working hard, making mistakes, getting experience, and working towards perfection. I had worked with lots of managers at Matrix, so had lots of opportunities to learn from each of them. Sometimes, you could run into a power struggle here or there, but nothing too serious, lots of good memories, good times, and good experience with the management team at Matrix.

Co-Workers:

Had no problems with any of my co-workers worth talking about in a negative way. I had lots of friends, lots of good times
  more... and memories with my co-workers and we all learned from every experience, weather there was a conflict with each other or conversing about the Disability, Workers Comp or FMLA claim in front of us. No complaints, nothing unusual, nothing abnormal.

The hardest part of the job:

Writing a denial letter was the hardest part for me to master, However, I have since mastered them. We are required to write a business professional denial letter, explaining in specific detail as to why their Short Term or Long Term Disability claim was being denied, if the denial was due to "no objective medical evidence to support". I cannot comment on FMLA and Workers comp, because I was not in charge of sending the letters for those pieces, but for me, the Short Term and Long Term Disability denial letters were the biggest challenge, but with practice, experience and after you have done enough of them, you tend to get good at them. Additionally, another hard part of the job, was the high claim counts, sometimes it was hard to keep up.

The most enjoyable part of the job:

The fun times, good memories, friends made and professional work experience received.
Pros
lots of room for advancement, good chances of being promoted, good company with good integrity and a good purpose, good carreer advancement opportunities offering solid professional work experience
Cons
benefits were really good when i started, but sort of fell short of that as years went by, the pay could have maybe been a little better
Good Company
Intake Specialist (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, azOctober 12, 2014
Intake specialist, assisting claimants file a leave of absence.
I appreciated the opportunity to learn a new line of insurance business, but in all honesty I was not afforded the tools in which to succeed.
Integrated Claims Examiner (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZAugust 17, 2014
Delivered accurate, timely and appropriate delivery of leave of absence benefits and policies specific to pregnancy disability leave, Military leave, Personal leave and Family medical Leave Act and California Family Right Act. Administers both consecutive and intermittent leaves from commencement through return to work or termination. received and managed leaves assigmets as assigned. Processed and managed all assigned request for LOA coordinating, interpreting and applying leave policies, sending letters of leave status and communication, reviewing supporting documentation and certification, calculating monitoring leave duration in conjunction with policy and/or state and federal law, authorizing or denying all LOA request and coordination return to work for PDL and reduced work schedules applicable to qualifying FMLA/CFR leaves. Tracks and monitors all aspects of their assigned case load to assure compliance with governmental and facility-specific policies and for the case management documentation in the information system. Interpreted and classified and LOA policy guidelines to employees, supervisory and manager's to ensure accurate, fair and consistent application of policy provisions and escalates case management issues or concerns to the assigned management resources as appropriate.
Pros
pay was excellent
Cons
lack of training
Ensuring the customer gets compensation from employer
Administrative Assistant/Claims Technician (Former Employee) –  Hawthorne, NYAugust 14, 2014
The vast majority of clients makes this place special indeed. Every day is a great experience.
Pros
wonderful people
Cons
time to process claims may take longer than client expects.
Integrated Claims Examiner (Current Employee) –  Phoeni, AZJuly 12, 2014
I really enjoy working for Matrix Absence Management. This company has allot to offer and growth
Pros
growth potential

2.9