Matrix Absence Management

Matrix Absence Management Employee Reviews

Operation Superviosr
Operations Superviosr (Current Employee), Phoenix ArizonaMay 5, 2015
I loved this company as I received experience with FMLA, Short term disability, ADA products, management, mentoring, training. Payroll, performance reviews. The company does not pay that well but the experience is there.
N/A
Short Term Disability Integrated Claims Examiner (Current Employee), Austin, texasApril 13, 2015
Process about 30-45 claims per day - Deal with Supervisors and employees on a daily basis. - Calculate benefits, issue pay.

docuement thought process, back-up co-workers - assist co-workers.
Fast paced environment with excessive work load/person
Integrated Claims Examiner (Former Employee), Peoria, AZMarch 10, 2015
Pros: greater knowledge base of integrated claims
Cons: no opportunity to move up; no balanced work/life; inconsistent management
Great sense of gratification knowing that you are providing a great service to others in a time of need.

Upon interviewing, information is given to indicate that average work load is 80-100 integrated claims when in all actuality, typical work load averages from 200-300, integrated as well as stand-alone claims.

Management severely lacks focus and direction as well as motivation to teams. No follow-up or follow through is provided on a consistent basis. No one teams functions or operates in the same manner as any other team on the floor.

There really isn't much room or opportunity for growth within the company. No real additional training or shadowing provided for those that want to learn a different skill set.

The hardest part of the job is being consistent across the board on the processes and procedures for working claims. Taught one thing in training only be told to do entirely different steps once on the "floor".
Great Co-workers
INTEGRATED CLAIMS EXAMINER (Former Employee), Phoenix, AZFebruary 26, 2015
Pros: compensation, benefits
Cons: long work hours
Working at Matrix increased my knowledge of FMLA administration tremendously. Working with clients all over the country brought knowledge in all state laws.
Demanding and productive workplace
Claims Examiner II-LOA (Current Employee), Hawthorne, NYFebruary 16, 2015
Pros: the ability to work from home.
Cons: vacation/holiday/all personal days off is not realistic.
I have 5 clients that I am responsible for which is about 300 people that I handle medical leaves for. My typical day is answering phones and making calls to clients. I review medical that comes in and either approve or deny claims. I interact daily with my co-workes, managment and my clients. Completing all of your tasks for the day is the hardest part of the job but with time management and priortizing my work, I am able to complete this task. The best part of the day if being with my co-workers.
Its been overal ok
FMLA/STD Integrated Claims Examiner (Current Employee), Phoenix, AZJanuary 12, 2015
You get to discuss issues with co-workers or with Management. Handling alot of claims, and answer alot of phone calls
Excellent Environment
Sr. Integrated Claims Examiner (Current Employee), Hawthorne, New YorkDecember 4, 2014
Pros: autonomy, relaxed environment
Cons: minimal growth opportunities
Matrix is one of the rare employers which allows their employees the Autonomy to work independently with minimal supervision while provided guidance where it is required. Co-workers are helpful and also "team" oriented.
Fun and Exciting Job with lots of room for advancement, with opportunities for obtaining good work experience
Integrated Claims Examiner (Former Employee), Phoenix, AZNovember 1, 2014
Pros: lots of room for advancement, good chances of being promoted, good company with good integrity and a good purpose, good carreer advancement opportunities offering solid professional work experience
Cons: benefits were really good when i started, but sort of fell short of that as years went by, the pay could have maybe been a little better
A typical day at work:

Come in, check email, make phone calls, look at what needs attention first, process claims, review medical, meet with the boss about something, meet with the nurse about something, chat with co-workers, collaborate, discuss, and make decisions on disability and FMLA claims, respond to emails, confirm surgeries took place, check the mail, the fax machine, notify employee's and employers of decisions, via email, phone call, and by letter. write the denial letter if denied, write the approval letter if approved, provide customer service.

What was learned:

How to type fast, write professional letters, how to work with many different personalities in the co-worker setting, what key words too look for in the medical records, durations on what is and is not normal for certain surgeries, FMLA rules and regulations, quality control, multitasking, and attention to detail, all while maintaining a professional and respectable approach to anything and everything that could come up taking nothing personal.

Management:

The management was like any other management, learning, working hard, making mistakes, getting experience, and working towards perfection. I had worked with lots of managers at Matrix, so had lots of opportunities to learn from each of them. Sometimes, you could run into a power struggle here or there, but nothing too serious, lots of good memories, good times, and good experience with the management team at Matrix.

Co-Workers:

Had no problems with any of my co-workers worth talking about in a negative way. I had lots of friends, lots of good times – more... and memories with my co-workers and we all learned from every experience, weather there was a conflict with each other or conversing about the Disability, Workers Comp or FMLA claim in front of us. No complaints, nothing unusual, nothing abnormal.

The hardest part of the job:

Writing a denial letter was the hardest part for me to master, However, I have since mastered them. We are required to write a business professional denial letter, explaining in specific detail as to why their Short Term or Long Term Disability claim was being denied, if the denial was due to "no objective medical evidence to support". I cannot comment on FMLA and Workers comp, because I was not in charge of sending the letters for those pieces, but for me, the Short Term and Long Term Disability denial letters were the biggest challenge, but with practice, experience and after you have done enough of them, you tend to get good at them. Additionally, another hard part of the job, was the high claim counts, sometimes it was hard to keep up.

The most enjoyable part of the job:

The fun times, good memories, friends made and professional work experience received. – less
Good Company
Intake Specialist (Current Employee), Phoenix, azOctober 12, 2014
Intake specialist, assisting claimants file a leave of absence.
I appreciated the opportunity to learn a new line of insurance business, but in all honesty I was not afforded the tools in which to succeed.
Integrated Claims Examiner (Former Employee), Phoenix, AZAugust 17, 2014
Pros: pay was excellent
Cons: lack of training
Delivered accurate, timely and appropriate delivery of leave of absence benefits and policies specific to pregnancy disability leave, Military leave, Personal leave and Family medical Leave Act and California Family Right Act. Administers both consecutive and intermittent leaves from commencement through return to work or termination. received and managed leaves assigmets as assigned. Processed and managed all assigned request for LOA coordinating, interpreting and applying leave policies, sending letters of leave status and communication, reviewing supporting documentation and certification, calculating monitoring leave duration in conjunction with policy and/or state and federal law, authorizing or denying all LOA request and coordination return to work for PDL and reduced work schedules applicable to qualifying FMLA/CFR leaves. Tracks and monitors all aspects of their assigned case load to assure compliance with governmental and facility-specific policies and for the case management documentation in the information system. Interpreted and classified and LOA policy guidelines to employees, supervisory and manager's to ensure accurate, fair and consistent application of policy provisions and escalates case management issues or concerns to the assigned management resources as appropriate.
Ensuring the customer gets compensation from employer
Administrative Assistant/Claims Technician (Former Employee), Hawthorne, NYAugust 14, 2014
Pros: wonderful people
Cons: time to process claims may take longer than client expects.
The vast majority of clients makes this place special indeed. Every day is a great experience.
Integrated Claims Examiner (Current Employee), Phoeni, AZJuly 12, 2014
Pros: growth potential
I really enjoy working for Matrix Absence Management. This company has allot to offer and growth
lack of training program/throw you to the wolves
Integrated Claims Examiner (Former Employee), Phoenix ArizonaJune 19, 2014
During my interview, I specifically remember the hiring supervisor telling me that I wouldn't be thrown to the wolves, but that's exactly what happend. The week before I was hired, the two trainers that were employed with Matrix quit. I was left to my own devices, and I was there 2 months before a training program was implemented. I was trained by someone outside the office,and training consisted of reading and no hands on whatsoever. In fact training was concentrated on an area for which my job duties did not entail.
out of business
Absence Management Specialist (Former Employee), Phoenix, AZMay 16, 2014
business closed 2012 - there is nothing to tell as the business no longer exists
Great day at Matrix
Absence Management Specialist (Current Employee), Phoenix, AZApril 28, 2014
Pros: we can pick our schedule, and have really flexible hours, great manager and co-workers, and medical benefits
Cons: n/a
A typical day at work is coming in every morning with all my positive co workers and knowing we had a lot of work to get done and had to knock it out as a team to get it all done, I have learned a lot about medical conditions and how to multi task, and be very organized. The hardest part of my job was when people would call in and they would be so upset because they were so sick or hurt and I felt so helpless because I had not received the medical from the doctor so I was unable to process their claim to pay their benefits. The most enjoyable part of my job would be coming to work every day with wanting to be there and being able to talk to your clients and make them happy when they are going to bad or hard times
RUN! horrible people in Management, Turnover very high will hire you to fill the seat and overload you
Integrated Claims Examiner (Former Employee), Phoenix, AZApril 22, 2014
Pros: good pay
Cons: everything else
Worst experience every. They will train you the correct way and once you start work they will change everything and wonder why you can't do your Job. The job is good the management needs to be replaced.They overload with work and set up unrealistic goals…RUN!!!
Don't do it.
STD examiner (Former Employee), phoenix azApril 15, 2014
Cons: too many to list
Management is not supportive, claim volume is ridiculous
new hires are hired in at higher salary then long time employees..
need I say more?

May 29, 2014

thank you for confirming what I had heard from so many people!

Preferred to not review company
Compliance Specialist / NY State Licensed Adjustor (Current Employee), Hawthorne, NYApril 13, 2014
Pros: you are consistently learning
Cons: no work life balance and no room for growth
The company is a third party claims administration focusing on the administration of Group Disability claims and FMLA claims processing. The most enjoyable part of the job is working with various clients and working with the Integrated Claims Team.
Former Employee
Operator (Former Employee), Phoenix, ArizonaMarch 18, 2014
Pros: quitting time
Cons: no dress code. dressed like doing yard work.
Unprofessional, disorganized, dysfunction is putting it mildly!! No training, no supervision, no management, lots of smokers. Half hour lunch, no time to go anywhere. Trainers don't follow policy. Each one uses a different technique. Very confusing.. Run........
Corporte manager of leave services
STD / FMLA Examiner (Former Employee), Phoenix, AZNovember 13, 2013
Pros: great benefits
Cons: 12 - 14 hour work days
• Administer Family & Medical Leave Act (FMLA) standalone claims related to childcare, family member illness/injury or employee illness/injury.
• Responsible for all day-to-day aspects of administration of all employee leave requests, including tracking and claims processing.
• Develop a working rapport with management to promote a positive working environment.
• Monitor employee progress during leave and ensure that all policies are followed.
• Effectively work with department heads, managers, and supervisors of employees on leave and ensure a successful return to work, including the timely addressing of conduct issues throughout the duration of the leave.
• Effectively interface with current clients to ensure that employees are taken care of in a professional and timely manner.
• Understand, stay current, and adhered to federal and state regulatory and/or company plan requirements
• Investigate, evaluate and determine benefit eligibility of Short Term Disability claims in a timely fashion.
• Determine eligibility under federal, state and client specific requirements for leaves submitted
• Medical certification review and management supplied by the healthcare provider.
• Determine the duration associated with the leave based on the information given by the healthcare provider.
• Effectively work with department heads, managers, and supervisors of employees on leave and ensure a successful return to work, including timely addressing of issues throughout the duration of the leave.
• Manage leaves that are concurrent with Client Specific leaves and Workers’ Compensation.
• Act as an advocate for employees and ensure correct compensations while they are out on leave

About Matrix Absence Management

Matrix Absence Management provides a full spectrum of consulting, administration leave, and case management services designed – Read more

Matrix Absence Management Salaries