Matson Navigation Employee Reviews

Good work life balance
Information Technology Manager (Former Employee) –  Dallas TXAugust 12, 2015
Each day is a typical day where you continue continue to do what you did the previous day. Good thing is the company allows you to experiment but won't take big technology initiatives until becomes mission critical.
Ehhh...
Equipment Control Dept. Clerk (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJuly 3, 2015
Company going thru too many changes that effects overall environment. Needs better technology and younger manager. Office is too stall. Too much micromanagment. Money is/used to be moderately sufficiently, but promotions and raises are now crawl movement. School reimbursment is sketch at best, if at all.
Pros
Used to be Pay (until you cap out)
Cons
Micromanagment, slow/no advancement, so-so office environment, no bonuses/perks
Ocean Freight company with trade routes to Hawaii, Guam, China etc
Collections Specialist (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZOctober 22, 2014
Reviewed daily reports on past due customers, contacted customers by phone or email to discuss past due freight invoices.
Learned about the ocean freight business using multiple systems needed to get needed information to discuss freight bills with customers
Management was supportive and demanded excellence at all times but was also being put under stress to meet expectations during trying times.
My co-workers were friendly and supportive.
The hardest part of my job was meeting each supervisor's expectation when the goals conflicted.
The most enjoyable was learning new things, contacting the customers and getting payment in a timely manner.
Pros
nice co-workers
Cons
long daily drive, temporary position, no benefits
A class act.
Third Mate, Second Mate (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CAApril 24, 2013
Matson was a first rate outfit in all respects. It is also the oldest American steam ship company on the West Coast. God Bless the memory of Mr. R.J. Pfeiffer, and may the Aloha Spirit live on.
Fun place to work
Analyst (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJuly 26, 2012
I worked for Matson for over 11 years. I learned about accounting and management. I was accepted for tuition reimbursement. The hardest part of my job was close duties for accounting. The most enjoyable part of the job was the people I worked with were fun and dedicated.
Pros
great opportunities to advance
Cons
working weekends