Mattel, Inc. Employee Reviews

Mattel is going through difficult times
Manager Language Support Group (Former Employee) –  El Segundo, CAJuly 15, 2016
Mattel used to be a great company to work for, being able to attract the right creative talents and right management. Unfortunately in the last five years, because of many reasons, some caused by the changes in children's play patterns, but also because of some management errors and philosophy, more suited to commodities industries then the entertainment industry where the company belongs.
The work environment is now very stressful and uncertain giving the impression that management does not understand what actions are needed to reverse the negative trend and what is really important to continue doing well.
Pros
the nature of the products Mattel manufactures. Good benefits
Cons
restricted work hours choices Lots of overtime expected at no extra pay.
Great Benefits, Awful Culture, Dire management structure
Creative (Current Employee) –  Middleton, WIJuly 27, 2016
Great Benefits. With the right manager work life balance is good. Co-workers are pretty decent, but environment was terribly adversarial between departments.

The company culture is one of fear and woe. Layoff fear paralyzes the company between January and March every year.

Lots of higher management are extremely unsuited to their roles, and have no right working for a toy company.

Hard work is not rewarded, but the ineptitude of management is. Very unfair.
Pros
Great Benefits
Cons
Mostly everything else
Large toy manufacturer
Inventory Control Clerk (Former Employee) –  Murray, KYJanuary 19, 2017
Spent most of my time in the receiving department. Finding and auditing the lost parts and raw materials was the most enjoyable and the hardest on most days. You learned what materials were molded parts, which parts were received from vendors or other facilities. Keeping track of 2500+ individual items in a 1.6 million square foot facility and 80+ storage trailers is a challenge.
Pros
wages, benefits
Cons
large corporation, only the stock price matters
Wonderful Culture, Great Retail Sales Experience for Entry Level Employees.
Former Supervisor (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 18, 2016
-Great culture
-Passionate people
-Great schedule, especially for retail
-connecting with the young customer and their families was definitely enjoyable
Pros
Excellent Benefits and Training
Cons
Lack of growth opportunites after a certain point
Great work enviornment
Associate Special Project Consultant (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 5, 2017
There is nothing negative to write about this company or position. Great company to work for and amazing perks and benefits.It can be a little stressful and overwhelming at times but the outcome is always worth it
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  El Segundo, CADecember 29, 2016
This place is not enough money. And I feel that the company treats us different vs the people that is in the corporate office. Also they do not pay us enough money for the work we do.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Not enough money
Fun environment full of higher energy talented employees
Senior Financial Analyst (Former Employee) –  FloridaJune 7, 2016
Mattel was an excellent company to work for. The positive atmosphere among coworkers was a definite plus. Excellent benefits and great work/life balance.
Very Productive Workplace
MERCHANDISER, SALES ASSOCIATE (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXDecember 14, 2016
My typical day at work would be clocking in, reading what sections are assigned to me, then moving at an extremely rapid pace to restock missing items and also to pull larger items from the back for cash wrap clerks. I also at times have to play the sales person, even though there are assigned sales people. So, at times it feels like I'm doing everything at once while a few at times sham knowing that I'm going to cover behind them. Other than that, it's a lovely place to work as far as a part time job. Hearing the excitement of the customers somehow make me a bit happy.
Pros
HR and most of the managers are understanding/nice, We sometimes have a special lunch served during the holidays, Even though there are separated teams HR still somehow tries to bring everyone together
Cons
15 minute break for the whole day if you work less than 6hrs, Also you will probably be the only one in your section to close at times, If you apply for the Merchandiser position be prepared to work harder than any of the other teams
Ok as a fill-in job
Direct Service (Former Employee) –  Wilmot, WIJanuary 30, 2016
Customer service - call center. Pay is lower than industry standards. Customers are difficult and demanding. Calls come in at machine--gun rate with no time in between calls. Call center is open from 6am to midnight so you may be scheduled different shifts every week. If work is slow - you will be sent home (without pay!) which happened frequently.No compensation for the time you spend getting ready and driving to work, just not pay that day at all.
You will get to know very few co-workers due to the shift variances. In fact, I think I only spoke to my actual supervisor 2 or 3 times. Absolutely no room for advancement.
Pros
8 days off from the start (UNPAID), able to switch shifts with co-workers
Cons
The customers! Will ruin your Christmas if you are there then, sent home without pay repeatedly due to low call volume
great work/life balance
Senior Financial Analyst (Former Employee) –  New York, NYApril 26, 2016
great benefits and work/life balance...

poor management, constant, unproductive re-structuring

amazing co-workers, very talented

constant management changes caused unsettling work enviroment

very creative upbeat culture in NYC office
Senior Manager (Current Employee) –  El Segundo, CAMay 3, 2016
Mattel has gone through many changes over the years. Times are tough and environment is currently at a low. Management is competent and there are plans for a turn around. Problem is that is not until 2017.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
no work life balance
Assistant to personnel director to shipping supervisor
Human Resource (Former Employee) –  CaliforniaMay 12, 2016
I loved this job. I did recruiting and personnel duties. Worked with the union, upgrading people according to seniority. Became shipping supervisor and managed from 20-35 personnel at any given time.
Pros
Great place to work, great pay, benefits etc
Productive work environment
Executive Assistant, SVP (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 10, 2017
Good work life balance.
Starting with a clean slate and having no reference was a challenge. However, I hit the ground running because I have experience in management and administration.
Pros
Free Lunches
Cons
30 min lunch
Fun place to work
Engineer (Former Employee) –  El Segundo, CAApril 22, 2016
Fun place to work
Develop tons of cool products
Great place to learn and grow
Fast paced
Excellent benefits
Great people to work with
Marketing Manager (Former Employee) –  El Segundo, CAJanuary 3, 2017
They are really trying to improve employee satisfaction through fun activities, casual atmosphere and emphasis on collaboration; unfortunately it's a bit too slow to advance for most.
Pros
half day Fridays
Cons
slow advancement
Productive and Fun Workplace
Sales Clerk (Former Employee) –  Manhattan, NYSeptember 12, 2016
Management is open-minded.
Bubbly, up-tempo work culture.
Learned to open/ close out point-of-sales systems.
Loads of cash handling.
Strong teamwork ethic.
Hardest part was leaving (Summer job)
Pros
Random free snacks/ lunches
Cons
no wifi in breakroom
Flexible hours, stress free environment, lots of holidays, good pay
Sr Designer (Former Employee) –  El Segundo, CANovember 22, 2016
Awesome for creative people, bad for those looking for job security. Lots of holidays, lots of fun activities, day care, gym, laundry shop, free evaluation toys
Pros
Holidays
Cons
Job insecurity
Great place to work.
Lead Traffic Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXAugust 5, 2015
Mattel was very good to me for the 26 years I worked for them. They were my family who was there for me at anytime. They believed in development and keeping employees for long terms.
My job as Traffic Coordinator included many jobs. Working on a system call TMS (Transportation Management System) Also combined with an older system call DST AS400. My schedule was a four day week from TUES - FRI working 10 - 14 hours a day. Shipping to multiple customers including Wal Mart, Kmart, Target, Toys R Us, little mom and pop stores and many others. Also included shipping international shipments as well. Plus I had many other duties that tied into shipping and contacting customers and all types of carriers preparing for the days shipping.
Pros
Benifits, Time Off, and Pay
Cons
My on negative was as I grew older it was harder to work long hours.
Productiive
Assembly Lead Checker (Current Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXNovember 14, 2016
Come in get your work order, count you product, get your line set up before the employees come in. Once employees come in you start you line up until completion. As a line Leader yours constantly walking and talking with the employees to make sure that they know how to put the displays together also ask the employees who are putting the toys on the display how many toys go on the display.
Great job, fast pace, changes all the time and be ready to adjust schedule for fire drills.
Retail Sales/Merchandising/Account Coordinator (Former Employee) –  El Segundo, CAMay 28, 2016
Land in first store about 8 a.m., meet with management and go over call objective and carry through. Locate POP, locate it to floor, set, pull product for set, complete, clean area, meet with management again, gain clearance on what I set, get signed off on project, sign out of the store, and drive to the next call and do the same. This could be up to 3 or 4 times in a day.
Pros
I am given a pattern and time of calls, and I create my own schedule based on that information
Cons
no cons, great job, and company to work for.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Mattel, Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.