Mattel, Inc.

Mattel, Inc. Employee Reviews

Involved family with the workplace.
Forklift Driver (Former Employee) –  San Bernandino, CaliforniaJune 24, 2015
There were a lot of family activities with I enjoyed with my family and I got to spend quality time with my family and coworkers' family along with everyone at work which made me very proud of my work ethic.
Pros
Good atmosphere at work
Great job, awesome people
Retail Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Layton, UTJune 19, 2015
A typical day at work included stocking toys that were running low, unloading boxes from the trucks, and organizing inventory.
I learned to be more responsible, and dedicated to any task set before me.
The management was great and I was well-trained.
My co-workers were very positive.
The hardest part of the job was lifting and transporting boxes from the trucks, to the shelves.
The most enjoyable part of the job was the positive environment.
Pros
Great pay
Cons
Too little hours for a seasonal employee
GREAT STEPPING STONE
Security Officer Specialist (Current Employee) –  El Segundo, CAJune 19, 2015
THE COMPANY IS VERY FRIENDLY AND THAT MAKES IT A FUN PLACE TO WORK. MY DEPARTMENT IS NOT THAT GREAT, A LOT OF MICRO-MANAGEMENT TAKES PLACE AND I'VE WITNESSED A GREAT DEAL OF SPECIAL TREATMENT INSTEAD OF DOING THE RIGHT THING.
Focused and Driven environment. Strong IT Leadership team with focused efforts.
Sr. Program Director for Infra and DC Operations (Former Employee) –  El Segundo, CAJune 15, 2015
The greatest CIO ever. Best place for IT professionals to work for those who deliver and are aligned. IT Leadership team works daily against great pressure and limitations and exceed daily.
Hardest working team I know.
Pros
Leadership in IT
Cons
Financial Limitations
Difficult but there are rewards
Seasonal Direct Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Middleton, WIJune 9, 2015
On the phone all day - sitting or standing, your choice. Some irate customers but most are wonderful. Sometimes breaks your heart to hear stories of hardship and inability to buy for less fortunate children. Training for the job is great. Scheduling is quite flexible and it is usually possible to find coverage for needed days off. Some variety when asked to fill in writing e-mails, handling returns, editing mailing lists, etc but usually only the "regular" employees get to do those more interesting tasks. Can be terrifically frustrating when rare "permanent" positions open due to tremendous response, much competition, and frustration on the part of "seasonal" employees who put in many years' of part-time, lower paid work, only to be passed over by seemingly young, untrained, inexperienced new employees. Is a place where anything you say will come around to "bite" you. Nothing can by trusted to be kept confidential. Everything is heard, from what you say on the phone to what you share with co-workers on bathroom breaks. Benefit is discount on American Girl dolls and Fisher Price toys.
Pros
Wonderful co-workers, customers and product plus discounts- flexible
Cons
"regular" and "Seasonal", "haves" and "have nots"
Hard to move out of a starting position at a small location
Assist and provide direction (Current Employee) –  Wilmot, WIJune 4, 2015
A typical day at work is very boring. You take a customers call and you answer the question about the same procedure or product. The only time when it is challenging is when the customer is upset and escalating the conversation. I have learned however, to be professional is many different ways, also to be a leader and not a follower. Thanks to my coworkers, who are a delight most days to work with, I have been with Mattel for over 15 years. The hardest part of my job is transitioning into another position. On a daily basis you have to watch what you say and to whom you say it too even if you are frustrated or you will be talked to by a supervisor. It is very difficult to voice an opinion without getting into trouble.
Great Company!
Senior Corporate Services Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Lafayette, INJune 1, 2015
Loved working here was great company. It was challenging and Corporate people were wonderful to work with.I wish it hadn't closed the division.
Best Job Ever
Production Administrator (Former Employee) –  El Segundo, CAMay 22, 2015
Wonderful place to work, hard not to crack a smile when discussing toys. Management was terrible when I was there, (2000-2004) but I hear that it has changed in the present day. There are many perks, including on-site day care, on-site gym, healthy cafeteria, credit union, nice neighborhood close to freeways, and half day Fridays all year. They tend to use a lot of freelancers instead of employees to keep costs down, so getting a paid job here with benefits is difficult to get and you are extremely lucky if you get one!
Pros
It's a toy company! All fun!
Cons
Too many freelancers, not enough full-time positions.
alot of people didnt get along which made it very uncomfortable
Packer (Former Employee) –  san bernardino caMay 14, 2015
when you would work alone a lot of people would try to start something with you and I would just ignore them. in shipping and labeling it was a very great experience I would enjoy doing it again
Innovative Toy Company with Best in Class Brands
Global Brand Manager (Current Employee) –  El Segundo, CAMay 1, 2015
Mattel has been a place of phenomenal growth and development. Working on some of the most iconic brands in the world gives managers a unique opportunity to make a positive impact on people's lives. Working on the global brand team, I have had the opportunity to lead teams to build product lines that have global appeal and scale and the challenge of partnering with marketing teams around the world to create messaging that resonates on a local level. With a heavy focus on new product development and strategy, no day is ever the same. In addition, working in a category where the consumer who purchases the product is not the end consumer, provides a unique opportunity to sharpen your marketing skills by using different marketing strategieis and tactics for different audiences.
Pros
Half Day Fridays, Great benefits
Hard working people, iconic brands
Senior Sales Analyst (Former Employee) –  Bentonville, ARApril 27, 2015
Mattel is good company that makes quality products for iconic brands. The people work incredibly hard to get that product where it needs to be, when it needs to be there.
Small company environment
Staff Quality Engineer - Mattel Brands (Former Employee) –  Van NuysMarch 19, 2015
Flightways makes aircraft interior parts. It has about 50 employees who for the most part work very hard and enjoy each other's company. The CEO is friendly to everyone. The VP of operation is very sharp and skillful at managing the company.
Toy Heaven
DESIGNER (Current Employee) –  El Segundo, CAFebruary 27, 2015
Each day is a different adventure consisting of brainstorming, development, team meetings, and presentations. Full of intelligent, passionate, and creative people that love to make toys.
Pros
giant fortune 500 company. great compensation, benefits, and half day fridays
Cons
reactive (instead of proactive) market approach. bureauraticchallenges slow down speed-to-market.
Difficult Times for Toys
Director (Current Employee) –  El Segundo, CAFebruary 26, 2015
Been two very bad years for the company and hundreds of layoffs in the process. Tough environment right now. The culture is extremely risk averse and conservative and for my position - real lack of transparency which is key to leadership. Nothing personal, just very difficult times right now. Company not really going after real and fresh innovation.
Over 8+ years of IT experience Cognos
Sr. Cognos Developer (Current Employee) –  El Segundo, CAFebruary 17, 2015
• Over 8+ years of IT experience in Data warehousing and Business Intelligence projects in multiple capacities including, Technology Administrator, Developer and Designer.
• Strong experience in Cognos 8.x, Cognos 10.1.1 including Framework Manager. Experience in Migration from Cognos 8.2 to 8.3 and Cognos 8.4 to Cognos 10.1.1.
• Excellent experience in designing the Star and snowflake models for Data Warehouse.
Productive workplace with a wonderful team
Lead Graphic Design Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Irvine, caFebruary 3, 2015
This company has been a great place to work for. While stressful at times, I enjoyed everything I did and felt accomplished at the end of every day.
Pros
great benefits, caring management, awesome coworkers
Data Control Analyst (Current Employee) –  El Segundo, CAFebruary 3, 2015
Mattel is a great place to work. Alot of work and alot of chances to grow within are available. They pay is okay but over time is definitely available so that helps to even things out. Half day fridays and the three week holiday recess is great too.
Its great. I have never taken a day off
Procurement and IT Billing Administrator (Current Employee) –  El Segundo, CAJanuary 29, 2015
*Its great. I have never taken a day off. I work there even when I'm sick.
Needs management reset
Operations Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXJanuary 7, 2015
Great benefits. Great pay. The management is too concerned with bottom dollar. No worries about customer service or quality.
productive fun place
Senior Internal Auditor (Former Employee) –  El Segundo, CAJanuary 6, 2015
productive fun place to work. plenty of learning experience. opportunity to travel.