Mattel, Inc. Employee Reviews

Great team
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Middleton, WIJanuary 24, 2017
Working for this company, I felt like I was part of a family and always had a over all good time. Christmas time could be stressful due to the costumer demand.
Pros
employee perks offten, 50% off discount
Fun place to work
Engineer (Former Employee) –  El Segundo, CAApril 22, 2016
Fun place to work
Develop tons of cool products
Great place to learn and grow
Fast paced
Excellent benefits
Great people to work with
Independent work environment
Retail Clerk (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INJanuary 7, 2017
Great work from home employer, receive store hours and create my own schedule to visit several retailers and service their toy department and build endcaps for new products and help customers with new products and selling features.
Pros
make my own schedule
Cons
Not enough communication with fellow coworkers
Productiive
Assembly Lead Checker (Current Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXNovember 14, 2016
Come in get your work order, count you product, get your line set up before the employees come in. Once employees come in you start you line up until completion. As a line Leader yours constantly walking and talking with the employees to make sure that they know how to put the displays together also ask the employees who are putting the toys on the display how many toys go on the display.
Productive and Fun Workplace
Sales Clerk (Former Employee) –  Manhattan, NYSeptember 12, 2016
Management is open-minded.
Bubbly, up-tempo work culture.
Learned to open/ close out point-of-sales systems.
Loads of cash handling.
Strong teamwork ethic.
Hardest part was leaving (Summer job)
Pros
Random free snacks/ lunches
Cons
no wifi in breakroom
Creative Intern (Former Employee) –  El Segundo, CAMarch 9, 2017
My review of Mattel honestly can't give much of a review i was young and just an intern it was alright seemed better if you had a creative job otherwise kind of boring office enviroment. why are you forcing me to do this anyway goodbye
Pros
Great
Cons
Great
IT Supply Chain
Senior Business Systems Analyst (Former Employee) –  El Segundo, CAFebruary 13, 2017
Good people when you find them, Too dependent on outsourcing overseas. Stay away from IT Supply Chain. It is a moving target with no clear direction.
Pros
New Systems to learn, Some People
Cons
Too top heavy - a lot of VPs, No clear direction
Fun work place
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  El Segundo, CAFebruary 2, 2017
Fast paced environment, must be flexible to change as the company has reorgs every 6 months and layoffs every year. Biggest perk about the company is that every Friday is half day work day.
Mattel Review
Manager, Corporate Financial Planning (Former Employee) –  El Segundo, CAMarch 20, 2017
a top company to work for; great leadership and top talent attracted; hard work pays off; must perform but it is rewarded; very fast paced environment.
it used to be amazing, now, not so amazing
Project Management Specialist (Former Employee) –  El Segundo, CAOctober 21, 2015
Mattel was ranked one of the top 100 places to work by Forbes magazine, but it has slipped out of that ranking, and continues to go downhill, its unfortunate. so many talented people have left or been laid off, due to politics or lack of creativity. It became toxic, and the morale continues to go down.
Pros
great benefits, half day Fridays
Cons
Politics, terrible upper management, very low morale

Want to know more about Mattel, Inc.?

Ask a question
Not the best place to work
House Cleaner (Former Employee) –  San Bernardino, CA 92408March 20, 2017
Hard labor was okay but overall it was a bad experience. Most workers did not speak English so it was difficult to communicate and also most workers were very rude.
How can this company survive?
Product Management (Current Employee) –  El Segundo, CAOctober 30, 2012
How can a company survive on old school management, politics and technology? Today's ever evolving world requires companies to keep up with the times. Mattel keeps old, out of touch management in place. They just recently got in touch with social media...and really they just do social media for a couple of their brands. Their benefits are good, but are in place for the sole purpose of keeping their employees happy in such an unhappy environment. People are stressed out, not happy, it's hard to move up and, I agree with an earlier review, that it's really who you know, not what you know. For me, I come to work because I need to pay my bills. But I'm constantly stressed out and unhappy.....wonder why I'm spending time reviewing on Indeed(dot)com?! Looking for my next opportunity.
Pros
not much
Cons
read review
Toys - Not so fun after all...
Marketing (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 1, 2012
This review is based on the NYC office.
The new management is abrasive and unprofessional.
Unfortunately, the office is so small that it breads a high school mentality. People are often defensive and passive aggressive. It really gives coworkers a complex. You need a thick skin and an almost uber self-important sense of yourself to survive.

Why is it necessary to ridicule coworkers as you're speaking to them or in large groups??? It just doesn't make any sense. I'm a big believer that office culture is dictated from the top down. So, if the top is feeding a negative environment it doesn't bode well for everyone else.

On the flip side - you learn so much about product development, presenting and creative brainstorming.

But don't get caught up in the hype. The office is kind of dead - get out while you can.
Pros
benefits and half day fridays
Cons
sr. mgmt and human resources
It sounded like a good idea to work here.....
Specialist (Former Employee) –  El Segundo, CASeptember 25, 2012
The day I got hired at Mattel, I was over the moon excited. I went thru their new hire orientation, got taken out by my new team and got started. Week one was amazing. I went to meetings, learned about the company, shopped at the toys store, etc. But happy, exciting, over the moon turned on me quickly! Suddenly, my boss went bipolar on me. I'm sure she was threatened by me as my work ran circles around her. She is one of those higher management employees at Mattel that fear change so they do nothing new and do their best to keep things in their scope of knowledge. This is not good for a toy company who should really emerge with the times. I'd do anything to get that over the moon feeling back....but just not at Mattel. I have since moved on as I just couldn't take the abuse from my boss. I'm in a better place now. Prospective employee beware!
Pros
benefits, toy discounts
Cons
old management, bad politics, incredible drama
when you quit they take you out with 2 security guards
Busser/Server (Former Employee) –  American Girl RestaurantAugust 4, 2016
worst experience in my whole life of work in restaurants they just didn't pay you at all tips because it was all on credit card but the company pays every 2 weeks and they wont pay you if theres a problem with your check and that was my case to the point i was running out of the job on my break to look for jobs and once i got late the manager was the fattest woman ive ever seen but the meanest woman ive ever met she went off saying i was irresponsible that i was making her look bad etc etc but the company didnt pay me for whole 2 weeks not even tips for the train was a nightmare and i was irresponsible? i explain to her i got illegally locked out of my room because i didn't pay the rent on time and i was going to court and sleeping on McDonalds so she said you're homeless? and said she was going to tell the gen manager because they cant have homeless working there so i cried and left when i was leaving they called security to escort me out ..got back to get my check but wasn't there ...only after 2 weeks i left then i got it was like around 400 for the 2 weeks i worked there...
Pros
non
Cons
busser have to serve wine and other drinks
You Might Want to Re-Think Working Here
Human Resources Director (Current Employee) –  El Segundo, CAAugust 13, 2012
When I first started working at Mattel the excitement of working for the world's best toy company sounded so cool! Well that excitement wore off pretty fast! This place is filled with top level executives who have been there for a long time. There is no possibility for change and finding ways to do things differently because they just want what they are used to. The approval process for ANYTHING takes forever to the point where things become old by the time they are approved. I'd think twice before coming to work for Mattel.
Pros
half day fridays, good benefits, and toy discount
Cons
high politics, high drama, old school at the top, lack of change, people are stressed and overworked.
Great people. Very talented creative group.
Staff Designer and Art Director (Former Employee) –  El SegundoJuly 13, 2015
Overall Mattel is a great place to work. Staff is very talented. Products are fun to work on. There are challenges because of the size of the company. Can move too slowly because of processes that are in place. There are too many layers of approvals. Great ideas may not get through or end product may not be as good as it could have been because of approvals and cost constraints.

My favorite part of the job was designing toys and the camaraderie among the team members.
Pros
benefits, creative environment, half day Fridays and time off at Christmas
Cons
processes are too cumbersome to allow for development of truly creative innovative product
Great company to work for
Warehouse Supervisor (Current Employee) –  San Bernardino, CAFebruary 15, 2016
It's a great company to work for. It has great benefits. There's a lot of great people. It's a fast paced warehouse and you get lost of training
Great job, fast pace, changes all the time and be ready to adjust schedule for fire drills.
Retail Sales/Merchandising/Account Coordinator (Former Employee) –  El Segundo, CAMay 28, 2016
Land in first store about 8 a.m., meet with management and go over call objective and carry through. Locate POP, locate it to floor, set, pull product for set, complete, clean area, meet with management again, gain clearance on what I set, get signed off on project, sign out of the store, and drive to the next call and do the same. This could be up to 3 or 4 times in a day.
Pros
I am given a pattern and time of calls, and I create my own schedule based on that information
Cons
no cons, great job, and company to work for.
It's a toy company but.....
Marketing Associate (Current Employee) –  El Segundo, CASeptember 4, 2012
.......I wish someone would have told me just how much this company is behind the times and how much politics there are here. It's a very old school place with old school policies. You can't be on non-company email at work and everything else is deeply monitored. The benefits are good, but they are only in place to keep people there...whether they suffer or not. Another reviewer below said it best in that the higher-ups are definitely old and set in their ways. Mattel could use some fresh executives and a re-fresh of up-to-date policies and practices. If I knew then, what I know now...not sure I'd be working here.
Pros
discount on toys. good benefits.
Cons
cafe on site is expensive, old school, politics, high-drama

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Mattel, Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.

78%