Mattel, Inc. Employee Reviews

Mattel
Data Control Analyst (Current Employee) –  El Segundo, CAJune 15, 2016
Mattel has great potential but is currently in a transitional period. Everyone should be on the same page but they are not. Mattel has been slacking on the training as well but they are regaining their footing
Pros
you learn alot and get to interact with a lot of different kinda of people ; great benefit and half
Cons
dysfunctional due to lack of direction; everyone is on a different page
Fun place to work
Engineer (Former Employee) –  El Segundo, CAApril 22, 2016
Fun place to work
Develop tons of cool products
Great place to learn and grow
Fast paced
Excellent benefits
Great people to work with
A fast-paced, energetic company to work for and to have fun
Lease Database Management (Former Employee) –  El Segundo, CAMay 25, 2014
The day started at 8, unless you were a long-distance commuter. Then, the working hours were flexible. Free coffee, tea, hot cocoa, etc. was available, as well as Starbucks for purchase in the cafeteria. A great varied lunch service was provided in the cafeteria with emphasis on healthy eating. I started as an administrative assistant but over time learned and grew to the point where I was able to assist in the purchase of a new, more functional database for the corporate real estate department! Management takes a real interest in the development of talent within the corporation. I always worked well with my co-workers and team work is a serious part of the culture there. The hardest part of the job was keeping up! We were so busy and multi-tasking all the time, but the challenges met were worthwhile. The most enjoyable part of the job was that it is a toy maker! It was fun to work there and occasionally glimpse new toys in prototype, and the company picnics were a blast!
Pros
Emphasis on work-life balance, no boring positions!
Cons
Minimal workers for maximum efficiency makes for hectic schedules.
Your Future Here is Based on the Relationships You Make
Specialist (Current Employee) –  El Segundo, CAOctober 20, 2012
Working at Mattel does have it's perks; However, to make it here, you have to keep up with the Jones'! Relationships are important. It really doesn't matter what your talents are or how up to par your work is....it's who you know and kiss up to. The older people in higher positions never seems to go anywhere or change with the times. So even if they tell you that they want cutting edge or to think outside of the box.....they aren't really asking for any of that. You are really there to make sure your supervisor/boss looks good and that's it.
Pros
discount on toys. good benefits.
Cons
too much politics and no movement upward.
Best Job Ever
Production Administrator (Former Employee) –  El Segundo, CAMay 22, 2015
Wonderful place to work, hard not to crack a smile when discussing toys. Management was terrible when I was there, (2000-2004) but I hear that it has changed in the present day. There are many perks, including on-site day care, on-site gym, healthy cafeteria, credit union, nice neighborhood close to freeways, and half day Fridays all year. They tend to use a lot of freelancers instead of employees to keep costs down, so getting a paid job here with benefits is difficult to get and you are extremely lucky if you get one!
Pros
It's a toy company! All fun!
Cons
Too many freelancers, not enough full-time positions.
Nice people
Facilities Manager (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 29, 2016
Good people - upper management is suffocating the thoughts and imagination. Hard to advance in my field. Management has a problem taking the credit for direct reports.
Pros
People are great
Cons
Hard to advnace
Run in the other direction
HR (Current Employee) –  El Segundo, CAAugust 12, 2012
It sounds like fun and games to work for a toy company, but please know this place is infested with politics, drama and old fuddy-duddies (yes I used that word) in high places, who aren't going anywhere. The HR department is the worst, with horrific micromanagers. This is a fear-based company. A lot of employees vent to each other and have very stressful days. Also, their job descriptions are not at all what you will be doing. Beware. Seriously, your first day....even your first week will be great. But then the other shoe will drop. This review is based on my current job working at the El Segundo Office
Pros
toy discounts, benefits
Cons
see review.
Productive fun workplace with Foosball table
promo packer (Current Employee) –  Fort Worth TxSeptember 2, 2015
I go clock in and we package toys, in an assembly line fashion
the people there we talk and joke around i learn different aspects of the job. Management is not bad there is a little favoritism towards the workers.
I enjoy lunch time because you get to talk to your coworkers and eat, and if u smoke there is a smoking section.
Pros
Fun environment.
Cons
Barely any type of advancement.
Secure, if not loaded with opportunity.
Brand Coordinator (Former Employee) –  El Segundo, CAAugust 27, 2013
I had an amazing time at Mattel. My supervisor and my employee activities, such as my membership in the company-sponsored Mattel Toastmasters club, helped me to grow tremendously as a professional. During my single mother years especially I always felt supported in putting my family first.

That said, as my children grew and I became more available for additional responsibilities, I got the work opportunities, but not the corresponding promotions and pay. Due to headcount cap and other fiscal strategies aimed at maximizing P&L, it can be very difficult for managers to create opportunities for their existing employees. Much easier to hire a new temporary employee and then, having built a case for the need for the position, transition them into full time employees after a year or so.
Pros
Half day Fridays, great health insurance options, great benefits package, very supportive of parent obligations
Cons
career paths unclear
Viper Pit
Analyst (Current Employee) –  El SegundoJune 6, 2012
There's such a thing as too politically correct. People lie really well here. They don't tell you half of what you need to know, everything is just inferred. If you aren't really sharp and very politically savvy I wouldn't work here.

As for the support people, they appear to be supportive when in actuality they're just being nice to get you to work harder. They appear to care, but it's just talk, to be nice. They just want things to run smoothly and will feign interest and lie to get their way.
Pros
good commute for the sb and west la area, half day's friday, good 401k match, and insurance, free parking.
Cons
cafeteria gets old, 10+ hour work days, too many queens not enough worker bees.
Professional and fun working environment with a flare for artist integrity.
Project Designer (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAAugust 5, 2013
Literally the best time of my life was working for Mattel. I was quickly picked up as the premier vehicle designer for entertainment brands and internal intellectual property development. I had a great time in the 5 years I worked on the Hot Wheels brand. My team was responsible for creating the hit animated series 'Battle Force 5'. We were nominated for an Emmy award and took home the Gemini Award for 'Best Animated Series' in 2011. I can't say enough about the amazing people and great connections you can make through working at Mattel. I learned a great deal about working with licensors, inventing toy mechanisms, patenting ideas, sketching, rendering, designing play patterns and most of all HAVING FUN AT WORK! I would highly recommend working at Mattel either very early or very late in your career, based on the corporate structure and culture Mattel prides itself in developing.
Pros
Artistic credit, professional environment, fun and famous brands
Cons
Top heavy corporate structure
Productive, Toy Manufacturer with great people
Sr. Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  El Segundo, CASeptember 15, 2013
Fast paced, energetic, and extremely busy. Management is extremely busy which does not allow for clear direction or feedback, which makes the job difficult. Co-workers are extremely friendly.
Pros
Corporate Gym, Half Day Fridays, and Great Benefits.
Cons
Management, Culture, Political
Best Place to work at.
Loss Prevention Associate (Former Employee) –  Bloomington, MNMay 18, 2016
I worked at the Mall of America location. The only reason why I left was because I needed to move back to Indiana.
It was the best place I worked at. Didn't deal with many shoplifters. More making sure the place was free and clear of any creepers.
creative place to work
Freelance video editor (Former Employee) –  El SegundoJuly 31, 2015
I was brought in on a project by project basis. I enjoyed working there very much. I had my own editing bay worked with fun, creative people. I was given a lot of creative freedom. I had access to the top executives for feedback on my work. They have a pretty good cafe.
Pros
see the latest toys before production
Cons
as a freelance, no job benefits
Good company to work for, but poor management.
Engineering Manager (Current Employee) –  El Segundo, CAJuly 15, 2015
Mattel is a good company to work for based on compensation and benefit package. Management style is very old fashion, and self-centered. Lack of people development.
Cons
Very frustrating for self motivated individuals to excel in this company.
Excellent Work Environment
Senior Consumer Insights Analyst (Contract) (Current Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 19, 2016
While working at Mattel, I was able to complete eight full research reports. I managed two of the projects from ask to delivery of final report. The delivery of my completed reports to the intended parties was stalled in unnecessary bureaucracy. This directly affected the satisfaction of internal clients in a negative way. Other than that, this was an excellent experience working with competent and innovative colleagues who enjoyed their work. I recommend becoming part of the Mattel team to anyone who has the chance.
Great opportunity
Supervisor Health Promotion/Manager Fitness Place (Former Employee) –  East Aurora, NYNovember 30, 2015
Organized and set up the brand new fitness center
Created all materials and class schedules
Worked with a great number of interns and part-time staff
The people were fun to work with and for
Creative environment enhanced enjoyment at work
Pros
I got the opportunity to be involved with a variety of events
Cons
Not alot of understanding about health promotion
Great company to work for
Warehouse Supervisor (Current Employee) –  San Bernardino, CAFebruary 15, 2016
It's a great company to work for. It has great benefits. There's a lot of great people. It's a fast paced warehouse and you get lost of training
Positive work environment
MANAGER, CORPORATE SERVICES (Former Employee) –  El Segundo, CASeptember 24, 2013
Outstanding work/life balance, culture encourages interaction with employee's families, onsite day care available.
Pros
Cons
Challenging Management
Amazing company to work for
Inventory Analyst / Traffic Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Industry, CAAugust 11, 2015
Our distribution director new each employee by name. We were greeted every morning with a smile.
Our management team worked along side its employees. And not just an 8 hr shift. Management recognized its employees hard work , especially during the company's peak season. At times 12-14 shifts in order to meet customer demands. The director would provide breakfast, lunch and dinner during this season.
We felt our hard work and efforts were recognized and appreciated. Which made its employees willing and ready to give 110 %
Pros
Good pay... Great managers and collgues
Cons
Distribution center closed down

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Mattel, Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.