Mattel, Inc.

Mattel, Inc. Employer Reviews

Great Place to Work for.
Production Operator (Former Employee), Murray, KYJuly 1, 2013
Pros: lots of hours / good heath ins.
Cons: plant went to mexico
I liked this job but it could be stressful at times. It could be a fun place to work sometimes. Other than my plant going to mexico I liked it.
Professional and team-oriented atmosphere.
Sales Coordinator, National Accounts (Current Employee), Hoffman Estates, ILJune 23, 2013
Pros: great benefits
This is a company that cares about its employees and makes work/life balance a reality. Everyone I have come in contact with is professional, knowledgeable about their job and willing to help.
like the shifts
Lead Checker (Former Employee), fort Worth, TXMay 21, 2013
Pros: days off
Cons: 12 hrs shift
i like working here because one week we get over time and the other week we got 4 days off
productive and fun place to work in
IT Security Intern (Former Employee), Los Angeles, CAMay 7, 2013
Pros: free lunches, lots of events to attend, strong leadership influence
Cons: no cons
great company to work for
great benefits
great employees
great leaders
management was awesome
Great Benefits
Sales Analyst/Account Planner (Current Employee), El Segundo, CAApril 22, 2013
Employer provides great benefits and has excellent opportunities.
Great schedule great work environment
Retail Team Associate (Former Employee), Columbia, MDApril 19, 2013
Pros: flexible work schedule
Cons: only a seasonal position
Schedule varied and depended on personal schedule. flexible hours as well as an above average management tea. great co-workers and over all a great place to work. The position is seasonal and is only available during the holiday season.
Like any Job....
Warehouse (Current Employee), WisconsinApril 12, 2013
Pros: benefits
Cons: micromanagement
It depends on where you work. Micromanagement is a reality and not much growth opportunity. High drama over little things and constant double standards. Communication does not happen.
Loved Mattel, Inc.
Retail Service Representative (Former Employee), Bentonville, ARApril 3, 2013
Pros: relaxed atmosphere.
Cons: none!
I loved working for Mattel, Inc.! Very employee friendly!
Management was supportive and encouraging. Provided excellent training. Very organized company.
Demeaning
Editor (Former Employee), WisconsinFebruary 19, 2013
Pros: benefits
Cons: everything
The most unfun, uncreative black hole to have to force oneself to work in day in and day out. Hardly what you'd hope for in a toy company. The benefits and pay are decent however, so trap you. And your coworkers will all commiserate with you, if you find all that negativity pleasant.
Fun Place to Work, Great People
FIELD ENGINEER (Current Employee), El Segundo, CAFebruary 16, 2013
Most of the people at Mattel are fun-loving and I have enjoyed my job. Like any place, there will be a few that get under your skin, but it is the toy industry, lighten up! Management does a good job addressing your concerns and working with you in case of a life-changing event.
Great place to go to as a designer
Sr. Project Designer / Art Director (Former Employee), El Segundo, CAFebruary 7, 2013
Pros: long hours if your creative the more you do the more you get.
Cons: i am creative
Worked with a BIG co. I enjoyed working at Mattel, great culture. It was like getting your Master in Packaging Design and international communication. Worked with China for printing and production and Photographers creating fabulously fun photo shoots. Hiring talent and sketching layouts to creating mock up packages for toy fair or vendor shows.
Massive Micromanagement at Mattel
Manager - Corporate (Former Employee), El SegundoFebruary 2, 2013
Pros: toy discount...although still kinda pricey and xmas holiday the office is closed
Cons: everything else. seriously, read the other reviews here. most are horrible.
If you are the type of employee who would like to be part of a team that welcomes innovation and pushes the envelope....then Mattel is not the place for you. If you are seeking a manager who tells you to think outside the box and then helps you run with it....then Mattel is not for you. If you are looking for a position that gives you the opportunity – more... for growth and opportunity....then Mattel definitely isn't the place for you.

Now, if you want some place to come in and just do what your manager tells you to do....you know, mundane work....then apply. Just don't come back to tell me that I didn't warn you. – less
A typical day at work.
Merchandising Service Representative (Current Employee), Laredo, TexasJanuary 16, 2013
Pros: i get to meet alot of people and my hours are great.
Cons: no insurance it a pt job
In merchandising everyday could be different! It is the excitement of knowing the work is not boring. What you do for one is completely different from the other. First and most important is to be organized. Have all data and reports ready prior to actual store visit. Since we have information that needs to be pass along to both management and employees – more... . Must sign in and greet store personnel and direct myself to the person incharge and discuss my work plan for the day. I also need to ask if there is no special tasks that they would like done as long as it relates to Mattel. Check Planograms have all my equipment on hand and my tools. Especially when its a visit in which displays need to be set or if I have displays which need maintenance. Once all my top Priorties are done if time allows I check if addition inventory is able to fill home locations or Make any addition displays. Once I finish I do My schedule survey for my corresponding account and submit. I discuss with dept. supervisor what I did and sign out. When I get home I sit and log on and submit all my reports for the stores I worked and syn and do My e-time. Finally I review My email and check My work schedule for the following day or call. – less
Fun and Educational
Temp Position - Girls Packaging Engineer (Former Employee), El Segundo, CAJanuary 10, 2013
Great place to work. Day can be stressful but rewarding if you enjoy challenges. You can really learn a lot if you take interest in all parts of the process.
Great Store - Poor Direction
Cashier/Stocker (Former Employee), San Bernardino, CAJanuary 10, 2013
Pros: relaxed environment, great customers, very easy work.
Cons: no benefits, very disorganized, lack of direction, poor communication.
Working a seasonal position at the San Bernardino Mattel Toy Store is somewhat pleasant. There are no benefits and no sick pay, but the customers are always great and the atmosphere of the store is very relaxed.
The work is very easy ... once you figure out what it is you're doing.
The store is very unorganized, there is no direction, and there aren't – more... even planograms for the racks or products.
Learning your job there is very much "sink or swim". Management gives you the information you need and throws you out there to fend for yourself.
They seem to be very understanding individuals when an issue in your personal life arises, however, if you do something they don't agree with they will purposely make your time there miserable instead of pulling you to the side and talking about it. The communication skills are very poor.
Once they feel you've deserved your punishment, they will then call you on your day off and fire you over the phone.
Management also chooses favorites and gives them special treatment, even if they are lazy workers.
If you have great customer service values and believe in treating customers and coworkers fair, this is not the place for you.
If you believe in being dishonest with customers and coworkers, and if you have no problem stepping over others to get what you want, then I encourage you to apply. – less
very fun work environment
Scheduling Assistant (Former Employee), Glendale, AZJanuary 2, 2013
this was a fantastic place to work, very sad when they relocated the plant.
Wonderful place to work
Director (Current Employee), El Segundo, CAJanuary 1, 2013
Excellent management team and corporate culture
Great perks
Half-day Fridays
Holiday shutdown period
Mattel was a great place to work.
Software Tester (Former Employee), El Segundo, CADecember 28, 2012
Working at Mattel, Inc. was very fast paced. Working for Mattel Media involved working a lot of hours to fulfill the requirements of the software testing structure.

I learned how to understand various foreign languages by listening to audio and following a script to find bugs in the software. This allowed me to apply this knowledge to find areas in – more... the software that continued to have bugs with each new software build update that we were required to test before release date.

The hardest part of the job was working into the early morning hours. The most enjoyable part of the job was working with the software and having my name included on the released final product. – less
Productive and friendly environment
Mold Operator (Former Employee), Fort Wayne, INNovember 19, 2012
Pros: get bonus checks
Cons: lay-off
A typical day at Mattel would be for me to mold and operate machinery. I also learned to cut the wheels for the powerwheels correctly to make it easy. Management was fair and dependable. My co-workers were a group of hardworders that formed together as a team to get the job done.The hardest part of the job was when the mold freezes up and you have to – more... go back and unfreeze the molds The most enjoyable part of the job was learning different trait and skills. – less
Productive and friendly environment
Mold Operator (Former Employee), Fort Wayne, INNovember 19, 2012
Pros: get bonus checks
Cons: lay-off

About Mattel, Inc.

Barbie is the platinum blonde in power at Mattel, the #1 toy maker in the world. Its products include Barbie and Polly Pocket – Read more