Matthews International Employee Reviews

workplace
Shipping/Receiving Clerk (Former Employee) –  Whittier, CASeptember 19, 2017
its a fast paced working environment. Employees are easy to get along with and its not a boring job you are always on your feet and constantly moving around.
Stressful environment with everyone waiting to be let go or have their projects dumped on a whim.
IT (Former Employee) –  CorporateSeptember 15, 2017
They are interested in their stock price, "The Street," & acquisitions, not how the job is done. While claiming to be "maturing," they have let go more and more people who actually understand the processes that make their disparate businesses work. They don't believe in paying a PMO or PM's, they also don't understand industry standards & measures, or what a COE is for. Top heavy with Executives, the company actually reminds one of a martini glass: wide and full at the top (Executives,) thin stemmed (the management,) and flat on the bottom (those who actually do the work)
Pros
Benefits, various business units across the globe.
Cons
Narrow focus, at-will, mercurial.
Horrible experience working there
Sewer (Former Employee) –  York, PAAugust 23, 2017
If you want to work and work and feel so unappreciated and be treated like you are nobody then go to Mattews . Management are mean and there's a lot of discrimination . Really Stressful environment to work with, the evaluation it's never in your favor that way you won't get a race , they never told us the time we get off they tell us 10 minutes before we clock out . It's good money but I can't remember how many times I went home crying because the abuse that it's in that place . Horrible!
Benefits
Cons
Management, Never know when we get off, change on schedule, poor communication
company atmosphere has gone down as they continue to merge and grow
Divisional Financial Services Specialist (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAAugust 3, 2017
love my actual job and people I work with

disappointed in the company as they've grown.

use to be such a great place to work for.

love my work not the politics
Stay far Way
Driver (Former Employee) –  OhioJuly 10, 2017
Wanna be treated horribly ? Wanna do all the work and get no credit for it ? Wanna unload a semi truck with 125 caskets in it basically alone ? Then this job is for u
Pros
Cons
Everyrhing
Busy work environment
Dangerous Goods Specialist (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJune 1, 2017
At one time we were breaking sales records every month, but in the past year we were informed the company was outsourcing and we were going to be out of work. The morale, work load, and the way we the business was being handled completely shifted.
Pros
Daylight
Cons
Poor management, short staffed, workload
Fast pace, demanding
Distribution Manager (Former Employee) –  Louisville, KYMay 25, 2017
Could have been great opportunity with proper sales team. I really enjoyed my customers who consisted of funeral home owners and sales consultants. Built some great relationships.
Pros
Insurance
Cons
On call 24/7
Terrible work place
Driver/Warehouse part time and that was enough! (Former Employee) –  Hammond laMay 13, 2017
This is a dog and pony show from the get go! Any positive words about Matthews are from management only!This is the classic Whos on first job Avoid this job at all costs you will be wasting your time if you think there will be a chance to advance.
Pros
Going home after work!
Cons
Finding out you have to work the next day
Good Company / Poor Managment
Plant Assembly (Current Employee) –  Richmond, INApril 13, 2017
Its in the summary management needs allot of work. Extremly poor communication, and not focused on what really matters. Pay is alright but not comparable to other companies.
felt betrayed by managment and and letdown gave them my all
Finishing Department (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAApril 4, 2017
liked everyone that i worked around but if you were not buddy's with managers then you are screwed. learned a good bit of differnt jobs while i was there but the skills are useless anywhere else they brought new managers in to clean house. gave them 3 hard working years of my life. And was disgarded like trash. i do miss some of the great hard working people i worked with and the paycheck but thats about it. the night time bosses could care less for anyone who dosent kiss there butt. good luck to anyone applying you will not work there long enough to retire. And alot of work sent to mexico
Pros
hard working coworkers
Cons
to many cons to talk about
Moving in the right direction
ELECTRO-MECHANICAL TECHNICIAN LEVEL (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAApril 3, 2017
Very fast pace work day.
Matthews paid to further my education.
The management seemed very disconnected from their production personnel.
The workplace culture is very old-school with that blue collar mentality.
Hardest part of the job is lack of communication.
The most enjoyable part of the day is it went fast for 12 hour shifts.
Great company
Osborn operator (Former Employee) –  Searcy, ARApril 2, 2017
Love the atmosphere and the people. It was easy to spend time with my family. Got off at 2:30pm each day with my son and wife. It was very nice having that time and only worked some Saturdays.
Very confused place
Union Laborer (Former Employee) –  Aurora, INMarch 25, 2017
This company is horrible to work for. First year in the company and they start laying off employees. The money is what attracts you , but I assure you its not worth the amount of stress and management that you deal with. Day to day is different on how long you will be there, so don't make plans. They will tell you a day before you have to work a Saturday and they wont care if you have any type of prior responsibilities.
Pros
Salary
Cons
Management, Production, poor management skills
Poor management at Pittsburgh Bronze location. Good pay, unhappy employees.
Set-up Operator (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAMarch 16, 2017
Extremely poor management. Management will target employees they personally don't like and micro-manage them and bully them into quitting. Everyone is unhappy with the company. Supervisors will not stand up for you. Lots of mandatory overtime with little or no notice. The work is simple, it could be a great job if it weren't for the poor management.
Pros
good pay
Cons
everything else
Quality Control Manager (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAFebruary 28, 2017
I wish not to review this company. The morality and ethics went out the window a long time ago. If you want to be a number then this is the place to go.
Pros
Decent wages
Cons
lack of morals and ethics
once was a great place to work for but not anymore
custom polisher/ Inspector (Former Employee) –  York, PAFebruary 13, 2017
worked here for 25years and current management is terrible it was good a long time ago but not any more. They lie about everything and will do what ever they have to cover up things they don't want upper management to fine out about. And its definitely a buddy system they have going on in there.Its a steady pay check but the stress they put on you is not worth it. i would advise everyone to run form this company and never look back.
Pros
steady pay check
Cons
Management is horrible
Growing company, always changing
Office Manager (Former Employee) –  Pennsauken, NJJanuary 29, 2017
Great company to work for, one of the leading suppliers in the industry. Leanrened the value of Safety First and Leadership skills and importance of hard work. The demanding schedule is the hardest part of the job as its unpredicatable due to the nature of the work.
Great Team to work with
Account Manager (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJanuary 15, 2017
Matthews Account Managers work as a true team to enable the success of the department. However, there are hardships to deal with in the support of other departments
Pros
Awesome Team
Cons
It
Delivery Driver and Warehouse Worker (Part Time)
Delivery Driver and Warehouse Worker (Part Time) (Former Employee) –  Robesonia PaJanuary 12, 2017
This is a ghost job posting do not bother applying. Applied, within a day completed a phone interview. Was told they would be in touch with a time to do a face to face interview. A week went by, I emailed the representative I spoke with no answer, so I left a phone message no answer. Gave it another week went to the office that the position was for, left name and number for office manager to call no response. An answer yes or no over the phone or email would have been awesome, but there was no communication on their part. I guess this is a good thing, lord knows how it would have been if they were actually hiring.

Seemed like a position I would have enjoyed.
Pros
Cons
communication
MAtthews IT people were uncooperative idiots
Data Center Technician (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PADecember 27, 2016
Matthews IT department consisted of uncooperative idiots with extremely poor communication skills. I did excellent work there, but was happy to leave when the job was completed. I do not recommend anyone to even waste their time applying there.
Pros
Paycheck
Cons
Everything else

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Matthews International. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9