Matthews International Employee Reviews

once was a great place to work for but not anymore
custom polisher/ Inspector (Former Employee) –  York, PAFebruary 13, 2017
worked here for 25years and current management is terrible it was good a long time ago but not any more. They lie about everything and will do what ever they have to cover up things they don't want upper management to fine out about. And its definitely a buddy system they have going on in there.Its a steady pay check but the stress they put on you is not worth it. i would advise everyone to run form this company and never look back.
Pros
steady pay check
Cons
Management is horrible
Growing company, always changing
Office Manager (Former Employee) –  Pennsauken, NJJanuary 29, 2017
Great company to work for, one of the leading suppliers in the industry. Leanrened the value of Safety First and Leadership skills and importance of hard work. The demanding schedule is the hardest part of the job as its unpredicatable due to the nature of the work.
Delivery Driver and Warehouse Worker (Part Time)
Delivery Driver and Warehouse Worker (Part Time) (Former Employee) –  Robesonia PaJanuary 12, 2017
This is a ghost job posting do not bother applying. Applied, within a day completed a phone interview. Was told they would be in touch with a time to do a face to face interview. A week went by, I emailed the representative I spoke with no answer, so I left a phone message no answer. Gave it another week went to the office that the position was for, left name and number for office manager to call no response. An answer yes or no over the phone or email would have been awesome, but there was no communication on their part. I guess this is a good thing, lord knows how it would have been if they were actually hiring.

Seemed like a position I would have enjoyed.
Pros
Cons
communication
MAtthews IT people were uncooperative idiots
Data Center Technician (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PADecember 27, 2016
Matthews IT department consisted of uncooperative idiots with extremely poor communication skills. I did excellent work there, but was happy to leave when the job was completed. I do not recommend anyone to even waste their time applying there.
Pros
Paycheck
Cons
Everything else
this jobs main is focus is on safety and production
Welder/Fab (Current Employee) –  Richmond, INDecember 24, 2016
monthly safety meetings, daily production progress reports, cross training available, fun atmosphere, easy to talk to management, employment opportunities in 20+ countries, low lay off rate, plenty of overtime.
Depressing sweatshop
Graphic Designer (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PADecember 10, 2016
Everything about this job at the Bronze location was terrible. I am not picky for jobs but this was a job I would leave either red in the face angry or on the brink of tears the way they treat their staff. I heard it was a good place to work 10 years ago, but much has changed.
Pros
Cons
terrible management, low pay, high turnover, terrible morale, miserable atmosphere
Lack luster at best
Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAOctober 27, 2016
This company is full of managers that don't care. They don't care if you have a family, a life emergency or even just need a day off since you are burnt out.

They give you a false sense of progression within your career. The managers are so out of touch with their employees it is scary. The morale has declined heavily over the last few years.
Pros
the pay isn't horrible
Cons
micromanagement, out of touch managers, out of date technology and constant issues that never have resolution
interesting work
Finishing Operator (Former Employee) –  Kingwood, WVOctober 18, 2016
ability to learn new things and participate in multiple ongoing projects. Swing shifts available. Location close to home. Easy to get along with management
D.C Manager (Former Employee) –  Hammond, LAMay 13, 2016
I manage a casket company with 4 employees. Hardest part of the job is taking phone calls on the weekend for customers. The most enjoyable part of my job is that I get to interact with customers almost daily.
Very friendly place to work with above average compensation
CUSTOMER SERVICE REPRESENTATIVE/Help Desk (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAMarch 10, 2016
Competent staff to work with. Fairly nice compensation/benefits. Supervisors always willing to help you to learn your job so you succeed.
Pros
Compensation
Cons
Advancement opportunities
A growing company looking to expand their horizons
Environmental, Safety, & Health Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAFebruary 7, 2016
A company growing and expanding rapidly. They are branching out into many avenues of business. I worked in Memorization but they have divisions in Marketing and Branding as well.
Good Work-Life Balance.
Order Entry Coder (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJanuary 11, 2016
Nice place to work. Only thing is lay-offs are always a talk. I like the work and I am always busy. They work hard to make the work environment comfortable.
Good Job - Lots of Driving
Delivery Technician - Spokane (Current Employee) –  Valley, WADecember 3, 2015
I like the job overall - relaxed and very flexible.
They give you a lot of hours most weeks but keep you part time.
No benefits.
Only one work truck - causes problems sometimes.
Lots of driving around - so that's cool if you like that.
Pros
Good Hours
Cons
Part time, No benefits
Administrative Assistant
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PANovember 16, 2015
Great work environment. I was able to work as part of a team, while maintaining a high level of independence. I learned how to keep an efficient and successful filing system, as well as using big name company software, such as SAP. The hardest part of my job was knowing it was most likely not going to be a long term position. I enjoyed this job because it did not feel like work. I was good at it and enjoyed working with everyone there.
Pros
Extremely proffesional and enjoyable work enviroment
Cons
Not easy to obtain long term full time work
Decent salary, poor management...
Financial Analyst (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAAugust 27, 2015
Worked as a contracted financial analyst to run reports sales & customers. Given a very short description of what they wanted and expected to know the entire organization and all the departmental nuances. Management seemed too concerned with where they were going to lunch or what they were going to do for the weekend to be very helpful. It was a cube environment, rather dark, co-workers were nice but kept very much to themselves.
Pros
decent salary, parking lease, convenient location
Cons
shady management, very little direction, tiny lunchroom
Great managers
Driver (Current Employee) –  Hammond, LAJuly 27, 2015
They Do An Excellent job training they're Managers, So That There more than capable of training employees to be successful at their job
Matthews International...
Utility Employee (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJune 17, 2015
Nothing special about working at a place that no one want to be.
go someplace else if you can. Very unhappy employees from top to bottom. very sad work environment.
Pros
Work a lot of over time
Cons
its a job
great place to work
Technical Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  Apopka, FLJune 7, 2015
not much to it. the company is still growing management needs to better prepare itself but dose not want to pay the cost associated with that. boss is nice everyone works well together, but the company is short handed and puts a lot of stress on some of its employees
Pros
great place to work. everyone is friendly, great benefits, quarterly linches
Cons
not much room for growth.
No idea what they are doing themselves.
Graphics (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh/St. Louis/Atlanta/Appleton/BostonJune 6, 2015
Company has no direction. Acquisition of sgk just made it a bigger mess. Too many levels of unqualified management that didn't communicate with each other and little to no communication with employees. "Smart sourcing" was just sending work to China. My advice is if someone takes a job there get paid well and keep the job search going. The employees there were knowledgeable and worked hard to exceed customer demands. Didn't matter to corporate, they would discard those employees and make bad decisions to get their bonuses. Worked there for a long time and got out. Almost any employee I knew or met within the company hated it and was fed up with the company.
Pros
Co-workers
Cons
Corporate / high level executives and management. Shareholders.
Fast paced and often rewarded with free lunch.
Rough/Finish Grinder / Repairman on caskets (Former Employee) –  Richmond, INMay 29, 2015
I enjoyed this company because of the fast paced setting. They often rewarded us with free lunch for safety regulations being met. However never knew when my shift ended.
Pros
Fast paced, first shift, good benefits, fair pay.
Cons
Unknown when shift ended, poor communication between managment and employees, unorganized health savings account.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Matthews International. Our community is ready to answer.

2.6