Mattress Firm Employee Reviews

Growth Potential and Culture keeps me here!!
Talent Acquisition Specialist (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXApril 14, 2017
Mattress Firm has been an awesome company to work for. Yes...like any other company we have had our ups and downs but the one thing that is consistent is the Growth Potential and Culture. I started off in sales and was promoted several times within that department. I had the chance to run small, medium, and large volume stores. My promotions were solely based on performance which in my opinion there isn't a better way to promote your employees. A lot of other companies promote based on tenure...and yes tenure is important because keeping people should be a focus for any company but at Mattress Firm seniority is not a priority. Once again it's important...but what's really important is making sure that the people that are doing a great job are getting promoted. Keeps everyone on there toes and making sure they don't let down. I was promoted to the corporate office after 5yrs in the sales department and the change has been very good.

I've been here for 8yrs and the people that work for this company are simply amazing.
Pros
Growth Potential, Culture, Earnings Potential
Cons
Work life Balance (but its retail...what do you expect)
Intensely Performance Oriented
Mattress Professional (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMApril 13, 2017
very fast paced environment that is highly performance based. There is a great opportunity for gain as long as you are willing to put in the time and effort.
long hours hurting back
Warehouse delivery driver (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXApril 13, 2017
Made home deliveries and set up the beds in customers houses. learned customer service in the most stressful situations and the hardest part was getting a queen sized bed up 4 stories of appartments
Pros
competitive pay
Cons
hurting back
Great company to get experiance
Area Manager (Current Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNApril 11, 2017
Overall Mattress Firm is a good place to work. The culture is one of the best things about the company. Most people are willing to help.The work-life balance is not very good but that's expected with retail. You work from 10am to 8pm and may be in a store alone the whole time and may only see one to two customers a day. Area manager is the hardest job to have. You are a store manager, usually at a large volume store. At the same time, you are over three or four other stores which you must make sure hits their budget and performs. You will get a small bonus if your stores hit their budget but there is no real difference in pay for the responsibility you have. This company will have you take on extra positions as " development roles" and they don't pay you for the work. Your workload will increase but your pay does not. If you want a raise they sell " sell more beds." The opportunity for growth is good. If you perform then it's easy to get moved up.
Pros
Cons
Work-life balance, Compensation
not productive
store sales manager (Former Employee) –  Wilmington, NCApril 10, 2017
too many mattress firms in the area to make any money and the management acts if they are still in high school creating drama within the workplace among employees
Pros
very easy job
Cons
work life balance
Great culture and training!
Area Sales Manager (Current Employee) –  Saint Louis County, MOApril 9, 2017
Mattress Firm is a great place to work. There are opportunities for everyone to succeed backed by best in class learning and development. Compensation is more than adequate and performance based. I would recommend to anyone!
Slow and oversaturated
Large Store Manager and Sales Coach (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXApril 7, 2017
The company itself is absolutely amazing. Wonderful people seem to flock to Mattress Firm. The great people almost out weigh the terrible income and rarely ever seeing a customer due to over market saturation.
productive day
Forklift Operator/ Order Picker (Current Employee) –  Roswell, GAApril 7, 2017
come in get a order sheet and put mattress in the area for delivery.I learned how to drive a forklift and the hardest part about the job was the slow days when orders was low didn't have much to do
Great company but entry level management drops the ball
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLApril 6, 2017
Overall love working for Mattress Firm. However, if you aspire to be anything other than a salesperson or part of the sales force your opportunities may be limited. Great company culture, very positive, sometimes overly positive but it works. Decent benefits and always open to new ideas to improve. The work life balance has been a focus as of late but hasnt quite made it there yet in some parts of the country.
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNApril 5, 2017
Days are usually solo, depending on the market. You train, or at least have the ability to, 3 times a week. Local management keeps up more 'politics' than what's necessary.
Pros
n/a
Cons
n/a
Best Company to work for
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Tuscaloosa, ALApril 5, 2017
A typical day at work is Taking care of each and every Guest that walks in the door, listen to their concerns and sleep issues. Meet fantastic variety of people. There are no employees or clerks in this company we are all managers who take ownership in our day today role. Most hard part is to stay awake since its soooo tempting to fall asleep ( don't do it you will get fired !) Self starter personality is successful in this business. Lots of down time which will allow you to focus and plan on how you can be better at your selling skills , listening skills, problem solving skills, helping each guest at a time. Its just wonderful
Pros
To learn from each other
Cons
Free time will make You lazy if ur not self starter
It's a pretty nice place to work
Manager in Training/Manager on Duty (Former Employee) –  Richmond, INApril 3, 2017
I enjoyed working at Mattress Firm because, once you know the stuff, your work day is easy. I liked that the pay was great, but, the commute became impossible for me after a while.
Pros
Pay, Clean Environment
Cons
Commute
Slightly above minimum wage, grueling work.
Driver (Current Employee) –  Redding, CAMarch 31, 2017
This job has taught me a lot about what it's like to work for a huge corporation. Employees are offered little to no perks or benefits, the healthcare plans are unaffordable with how little we are paid, and we are all treated like the bottom of the totem pole. The district manager is very condescending and difficult to work with. It's nice to drive around northern California and meet all kinds of interesting people, but it doesn't make up for how degrading the job is.
This job offers no work/life balance
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCMarch 30, 2017
This job requires each employee to remain in their store for ten hours without leaving. Your lunch is interrupted on a daily basis, as you can not clock out and enjoy it. They have redundant meetings which you must attend, and if you are placed at a low traffic store and can not meet your budget, which is inflated... you go on probation and eventually get fired. Worst place to work, with high turnover, and never any weekends off. Plus you travel a lot from store to store, and they are never concerned about your time or gas. There are unnecessary 8 am meetings and then you still have to work until 8 that night. If your commute is an hour away.. they don't care, and you will not be compensated for mileage.
Pros
Cons
No proper lunch, stuck in a store for 10 hours, no overtime paid, and the benefits are awful.
Loads of downtime with no work-life balance
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Charleston, SCMarch 29, 2017
Perfect job for an online student or somebody who wants to make okay money with very little actual effort. Must deal with customer issues on the daily and deal with a delivery team that could care less about quality control. The job is constantly changing and the management is very loose.
Pros
Very easy job
Cons
No lunch breaks, long hours, no work-life balance, location location location
Transparent, Open Culture That Fosters Growth From Within
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIMarch 23, 2017
I appreciated the training, both at the start of my journey here and its ongoing emphasis. What brought me to Mattress Firm was the opportunity to actually run a business, but without the financial risk of opening a store front as an owner. Yet, I take ownership of the store I work every day.
The emphasis is to have fun and "change lives one relationship at a time."
Even process that we train on from the very first day, the "Buying Process," is very guest-centric.
My first impressions of the company, during recruitment, have been built on as I have immersed myself in the culture to the point I know this is my last career stop. Yet, I am just getting started thirteen months in MFRM Nation.
Pros
Excellent insurance options, emphasis on work/life balance and opportunities for growth.
Working at MFRM
Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXMarch 22, 2017
Hardest part: extra duties
easiest part: working with customers.

culture is good. everyone is friendly.

a typical day: customers, sales, down time and clean up.
Great place to learn retail sales basics.
Area Manager (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 22, 2017
Worked here over 4 years, multiple opportunities for growth, and travel. I only left to pursue increased income opportunities. Highly recommend for college students.
mattress Firm
Delivery Driver (Former Employee) –  Portland, MEMarch 21, 2017
A typical day is hardworking 9 to 10 delivery. How to setup beds and frames and move beds. Great management , The culture is amazing and hardest moving a king up the stairs. Getting paid
Pros
Mattress Deal
Cons
The job was temporary
Vibrant company
Mattress Professional (Current Employee) –  Rhode IslandMarch 21, 2017
I transitioned from Sleepy's to the Mattress Firm family, so I am still adjusting. So far the company is vibrant, inclusive and the people are very enthusiastic about their jobs and co-workers. There is a huge team feeling.
Pros
Lots of room to grow, healthcare options, accessible team members
Cons
Outdated Point of Sale systems

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Mattress Firm. Our community is ready to answer.

2.7