MATTRESS KING Employee Reviews

its sell mattresses quit making it so difficult
Retail Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Huntsville, ALNovember 21, 2017
Our pay has been cut 3 times since 2016. We have too many corporate mgr who do not benefit the organization. Kim is punishing employees who don't sell tempurpedic.

You will work every holiday except Easter Sunday, Thanksgiving Day, Christmas. They announce extended hours with no notice, so you have to adjust your whole family life. If you are not popular with management, they will find bogus reasons to demote you.

We are now charged fines on delivery issues outside of our control.
Pros
employee purchase program is excellent.
Cons
low pay, cuts to bonus, long hours, no social life, verbal abuse from managers
Great company
Sales Associate/ Mgr (Former Employee) –  Denver, COOctober 19, 2017
I took this job back when the recession hit, the company paid well and had benefits. The manager was fair and the work was relaxes but long hours. I was given a store to manage in my fist month and there were perks to being a manager. This job paid the mortgage and kept food on the table, I'am thankful I had a job at that time but this was not a career job.
Pros
Good pay and benefits
Wonderful Co-Workers
Sales Professional (Former Employee) –  Billings, MTJuly 21, 2017
It was a pleasure to serve our guests and to work with some really wonderful individuals. They can to some extent cater to your schedule needs.They are head and shoulders ahead of any of their competition. Very smart with marketing and service.
Pros
Good team work
Cons
No ten minute breaks, and management frowns greatly on lunch breaks as well. Most days do not afford lunch breaks.
Mom & pop start-up after 22- years in business.
Worker (Current Employee) –  TennesseeJune 8, 2017
Nice place to work at if you don't fall asleep easily, or if you want to make any money. Absolutely no money is put back into the business to bring the stores up to 21st century standards.
Pros
Nice people to work with
Cons
low pay, sparse benefits, slow business, failing business model
Great Team
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Denver, CONovember 8, 2016
Good management teams. Caring Owner of the company. Good benefits. Company is interested in the advancement of the employees. Good family friendly place to work.
Productive and fun environment to work.
driver (Current Employee) –  Huntsville, ALJuly 28, 2016
Mattress King is a great job. It brings you new challenges everyday. It has its ways of putting you in situations where you may not work hard but it make you work smart. It's really no hard part of working here. Best thing thing about mattress King is I travel and get to meet new people everyday and that helps me with customer service with customers
Pros
I get to travel.
Cons
Don't have a set time on. When I get off.
Great place to work!
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Cullman, ALMarch 24, 2016
This is an awesome place to work, with great management and a great team to work with a rely on when you have any questions! The pay is good, but if you want to make a lot you need to have a great personality as much of your check will come from commission.
Pros
Management, team
Cons
There are none.
Excellent envirorment for learning and maintain sales skills
Bedding Consultant (Former Employee) –  Denver, COMay 12, 2015
I could work by myself in most stores that I managed , upper management was mostly hands off. Left to do what you do best-sales. Good back-up from mid level management to oversee day to day operation, always able to get assistance if needed. No real room for advancement , mid level managers were in place when I was hired and kept their positions through out the entire 8.5 years I worked there. All my current co-workers are former Mattress King Employees, including the owners of Sleep Nation . Long hours and increasing less opportunities to earn were the only down sides.
Pros
Security, flexable locations
Cons
Long hours, competition from inside and out
Purchasing Manager (Former Employee) –  Huntsville, ALMarch 15, 2015
Miss the old owners. The company is still run as smoothly as it was under the new company name. The supervisors are amazing at problem solving and help with anything you need.
Review
2nd Key Manager (Current Employee) –  Cullman, ALJanuary 6, 2015
Sales became rather slow with little advertising help from Corporate, therefore, salary decreasing rapidly
Nice company to work for
Delivery Driver/Warehouse Forklift Driver (Former Employee) –  Denver, COSeptember 25, 2014
Nice clean work place the employees were nice as were the managers.
Pros
good pay
Cons
sometimes very heavy lifting
I enjoyed working at Mattress King for a variety of reasons listed below
Route Driver (Former Employee) –  Denver, COSeptember 9, 2014
I enjoyed working with and for a variety of different people on a daily basis. Through my experience at Mattress King, I traveled throughout the Front Range of Colorado. That allowed to see many parts of the state that I had not seen before. The Sales people I dealt with everyday were terrific and made the job easy for me and hopefully I made there jobs easier too! The hardest part of the job was the heavy lifting I did daily.
Pros
working with good people
Cons
constant heavy lifting
Lack of respect for employees
Sales Person/ Delivery Driver (Former Employee) –  Scranton, PAAugust 7, 2014
Owner does not work well with others! Total lack of respect for employees. Poor compensation for the hours worked! The only reason I stayed there was I needed the job!
Pros
None!
Cons
Too many!
Great work invironment
Delivery Truck Driver, Sales (Former Employee) –  Stillwater, OKApril 23, 2014
Relaxed
team oriented
great owner takes care of employees
great staff
General Large Item Sales
Sales Associate/ Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Denver, COFebruary 26, 2014
Manage/ clean store, handle money/ deposits, sales, solve customer problems, inventory on stock, community ‘outreach’ program
Marginal
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Pelham, ALOctober 16, 2013
Could have been a good company but the owner at the time I was their lacked adequate funding i.e. advertising, and payroll. This led to closing stores during that period of time.
Pros
Nice people
Cons
Lacked funds to run bussiness
I loved the owners and all the employees, fun atmosphere
Store Mgr (Former Employee) –  Gardendale, ALAugust 21, 2013
I learned how to sell with confidence. How to sell an overall better nights sleep and the importance of a great night of rest. the hardest part was when there were no customers to sell to. when you sat there all day waiting on that one person to walk thru the door..
Pros
getting to know the people in the area, and referrals
Cons
commission based pay, so it was feast or famine.
A day and life at Mattress King
Manager Retail Store & Warehouse (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKJanuary 27, 2013
A typical day at work is 9 to 10 hours; one man store, no breaks including lunch, either bring some thing or order in. I learned how to be very patient because you can go days with out even one customer or even a phone call. Management doesn't match it's size, over 22 stores, but ran like a mom and pop shop in a rural town in mid Missouri. Co-works are mostly good people but very hard to build friendships with unless you like the party life; mattress king doesn't drug test. The hardest part of the job is the down time. If you are a people person and find it hard to sit hours on end for days with no one to talk too, you will most like burn out fast. Selling bedding really is an opportunity to change lives. One call from a customer who hasn't slept all night for 10 years, will for ever change your perspective. Over all I give them 3 stars out of 5.
Pros
income possibilities when economy is good
Cons
promotion based on if your liked not based on your performance
It was very enterprising.
Administrator (Former Employee) –  Norcross, GAMarch 21, 2012
I enjoyed my job very much. My co-workers were great to work with. Very pleasant