MAX & ERMA'S

MAX & ERMA'S Employer Reviews

Awesome coworkers, easy job
Certified Trainer, Server, Bartender, Cook (Former Employee), Crestview Hills, KYMay 27, 2014
Pros: discounts, amazing tortilla soup
Cons: bad management communication, scheduling issues
Everyone tends to get along pretty well. I loved my job at Max & Erma's but it was just a job. The work load was fairly easy with decent pay but, your lucky if you get enough hours to make a living. As far as the management goes they are all easy to get along with but they have communication problems between the four of them. The employees get sent – more... home during slow periods of the day in order to save the company money. Instead, i feel they could be utilized to perform extra cleaning duties to help keep up on the appearance and cleanliness of the restaurant as a whole. Restaurant jobs are not good jobs to have if you are trying to have a life outside of work. – less
Laid back, cool people not enough hours
Server (Former Employee), Columbus, OHMay 8, 2014
Pros: half off food, nice people all the time
Cons: not enough hours, small dinning area to serve
I woud get in at the begging of my shift and make sure my section was tidy and ready to be sat. Then check out my in work which is what I have to do before every shift. Then I would occasionally sit/greet people. I would get a table then I would serve them to the best of my capabilities. I learned some new serving techniques that you can learn at a – more... fast passed restaurant. My co-workers were all really cool people, they were all much older then me, but I still enjoyed being around them everyday. The hardest thing about this job was being able to pick up hours. They had so many people working in this tiny restaurant. It was hard to more around, and difficult to get good shifts and hours. – less
not enough hours
Server/Waiter (Former Employee), St. Louis, MOApril 10, 2014
the co workers are great but business does not produce enough hours weekly.
worked there for three years and was treated poorly
Hostess, Waitress (Former Employee), Lancaster, OHApril 1, 2014
Pros: good food
Cons: terrible treatment of employees, late nights, no understanding of family things
Max and Erma's was my first job ever.. I worked there for three years and busted my butt every day. Management was awful they treated everyone poorly. Demanding respect and giving none. You can't expect your employees to respect you when you give them no respect and treat them like they are disposable.
Amazing people to work with, flexible schedule.
Line Cook/Prep Cook (Former Employee), Mentor, OHMarch 31, 2014
Pros: discounted food, flexible schedule
Cons: terrible management-employee relationsihp
A typical day of work consisted of preparing various food items for later use while maintaining a clean work space and cooking food being ordered by guests in the restaurant. I learned to be quick on my feet and stay organized which helps efficiency and the ability to multitask proficiently. I also gained some hands on experience on how to prepare many – more... different dishes. Management was disconnected from the employees, having little to no understanding of the difficulty of the tasks they were assigning in the given time they wanted it completed with the quality they wanted. The hardest part of the job was keeping track of cook times of different items on the grill while simultaneously making side dishes to accompany them and timing it all correctly with the rest of the tables order to deliver a quality meal right off the grill as fast as possible. The most enjoyable part of the job was the fellow employees, an amazing group of people that had amazing team work, the main reason the restaurant accomplished the high level of quality and efficiency on a daily basis. – less
Could be Great
Supervisor (Current Employee), Virginia Beach, VAJanuary 21, 2014
Pros: free meals with shift, and fun
Cons: all or nothing business, no preparation for the rush, and lack of training
A typical day at work could be hectic from beginning to end, or so slow you will catch up on lots of paperwork.
I have learned a lot about leadership, and working within the corporate world.
My co-workers work hard, yet lack the leader they need.
The hardest part of my job is having great ideas, and no authority to implement them; I have so much experience – more... and want to help the business grow, but a lot of people in the company have already given up on it.
I love my co-workers, fast-paced excitement, and paperwork-as well as self training. – less
Nothing more than a Job
Line Cook (Former Employee), Farmington Hills, MIJanuary 15, 2014
I work at the Farmington hill location and it would always go through different managers so sometimes we would get a manager that made it fun and exciting to come to work and then we would get some that made the job difficult for no reason.
Transitional Job, great people
Server (Former Employee), Monroeville, PANovember 6, 2013
I cannot remember much other than I enjoyed my experience there as it was a transition job before I entered the military.
lots of turn around with mgt
Bartender/Trainer (Former Employee), Springboro, OHSeptember 21, 2013
Pros: hours
Cons: benefits
Ok place to work when you have the right staff and Mgt. Poor Benefits and low pay
An up beat working environment
mentor to junior team members (Current Employee), Pittsburgh, PASeptember 16, 2013
Pros: experience
I have worked for Max & Erma's for 3 years now, I have seen a variety of typical work days.
1. I open the store, and run a few stations and a section of five tables, the section is large enough to seat up to 30 guests.

2. The day is rather routine, I greet the guests tell them the store promotions, fundraisers, and events that may be coming up. I interact – more... with the guests, pertaining to their work day, what they do, and how my classes are going.

3. The great majority of the guests, like me a lot.

4. I have learned a great deal about how to give the guests exactly what they pay for, and also something unexpected. I give the best service that I can, without going overboard, or making the guests feel uncomfortable.

5. The management could use a little more education in dealing with understanding the flow of business, the guest, food safety, and how to treat people.

6. The majority of my co workers were fun to be around, they have given me a connection as a friend, moreso, than a coworker.

7. The most difficult task about being a server is having to adjust to getting multiple tables of guests at one time.

8. The most enjoyable part of this job was getting the experience, to become more self managing. – less
fun place to work
Server (Former Employee), Gahanna, OHSeptember 11, 2013
Served tables.
Management was good.
Co-workers were fun to work with!!
I enjoyed meeting new people everyday!!
Max & Ermas Review
Line Cook / Dishwasher (Former Employee), Dayton, OHSeptember 3, 2013
A nice working enviroment, good management, low flexibility.
Worst place to work
Server (Former Employee), Farmington Hills, MISeptember 2, 2013
Pros: nothing
Cons: poor training, unorganized, rude servers
I hated working here. I worked for this company for only a few months. I was not properly trained, servers were rude, and very unorganized. When I was hired I was told we would take a test everyday of training. Ok fine. They told us we would take a food and beverage test and that they will pass out the booklet with the info when they get copies. Well – more... fast forward they give me the food and beverage test expecting me to just no it.i didn't get a booklet or anything. I told them and they said to try my best. I gave it back to them and told them I don't know it and so they gave me the restaurants copy (at 10 at night) and told me to bring it back the next day I worked ( in the morning) and I would take the test then. Well obviously I still didn't no it. How could I learn this in 1 night? I quit because one day the supervisor was in charged for the night and my table kept complaining about their food not being cooked enough or burnt so the supervisor told the cook to put another fish and chips in the microwave. This was the worst job I have ever had and I cannot believe they put food in the microwave. Not to mention my table could tell it was put in the microwave. – less
Fun place to work
Server (Former Employee), Westerville, OHAugust 5, 2013
Pros: walk out the door with cash each shift
Cons: inconsistent earnings
M&E has also given me a great understanding in customer satisfaction.
Great internship
Management Intern (Former Employee), Lansing, MIJuly 15, 2013
The summer internship with Max & Erma's was a great experience
Productive work place
Hostess (Former Employee), Novi, MIJuly 11, 2013
A typical day at work was being a host, sitting customers. The management was very nice and helped in any way they could! The co workers were also very nice. The hardest part of the job was when it got busy and trying to sit all the customers as fast as you can! The most enjoyable part of the job was the environment, its a great work place.
inconsistent restaurants
Assistant Manager (Former Employee), Columbus, OHJune 29, 2013
Pros: management
Cons: inconsistent ways of doing things
Worked at three different restaurants in a short time. All three had a different way to do business, and it shows in the sales
Quirky Environment
Dining Room Manager (Former Employee), Westland, MIMay 30, 2013
I loved the different personal touches they had at each restaurant that made it stand out.

The free cookie Wednesday was a great idea for customer promotions.
Fast paced working environment
Culinary Supervisor (Current Employee), Westland, MIMay 4, 2013
Pros: longevity
Cons: no opportunity for advancement, limited pay raises
I've worked here for seven years but am in desperate need of better employment. This is not a good employer to have when trying to support a family.
same as every serving job
Server and Expediter (Former Employee), Pickerington, OHApril 30, 2013
Working for this company is just like being a server everywhere else.