MAX & ERMA'S

MAX & ERMA'S Employee Reviews

Corners cut everywhere, and it shows.
Line Cook (Former Employee) –  Beavercreek OHApril 9, 2013
I've worked in the food business for over 15 years; this job was near the bottom of the barrel and I'm very glad I left. I received nearly-zero training, regular verbal abuse from management, and coworkers who were so jaded that they just plain didn't care any more.

When I was hired, I asked for copies of all the recipes I was responsible for so I could memorize them and be more efficient at my job. I was rebuffed harshly; under the excuse that the recipes were "closely-guarded company secrets" and the recipes couldn't leave the building. About a month into my employment, the menu was changed and about a dozen dishes were added. I was so out-of-the-loop that I never knew of the new menu until the expediter was asking me for items that I didn't even know we sold. "Where's the chicken pot pie?" "What do you mean chicken pot pie; we don't even sell that here!" "We do as of this morning."

This was a common theme throughout the restaurant; managers who just plain don't care, don't plan, and don't take responsibility when things go wrong. I was "hung out to dry" by my own GM multiple times just so she didn't look bad in front of others.

I feel sorry for the management; the corporate office puts BIG pressure on them to meet sales and costs goals that they have no realistic chance of meeting; but that still doesn't excuse the way they treat their staff.
Pros
average or slightly higher than average pay
Cons
no training, no accountability, no leadership.
It was wonderful for the most part.
Hostess (Former Employee) –  8050 East Broad Street Reynoldsburg, Ohio 43068May 5, 2015
Working at Max & Erma's was fun, just slightly stressful- like how it is in any restaurant. The managers were very sweet and understanding. You wouldn't get in too much trouble if you didn't show up, just if you made sure to call ahead first. What I usually did was come in 10 minutes early and looked at what I had to do- as a host (where the crayons restocked enough for tonight, kids menu's and such, were the bathrooms restocked and clean, was the floor swept, was the board updated). It usually took me 10 minutes to do this, so they would clock me on early. I learned that some people are very needy, and some are very easy to talk too. Like, some needed a hard chair to sit on- but not that hard! And some needed the quietest spot in the room, or the seat furthest away from any kids. And some people were like "yeah sit me on the floor I don't care." I worked on the Max and Erma's on East Broad in Reynoldsburg, and it was busy every night. So dealing with 1-2 hour long waits, and the wait after the wait was pretty difficult. I loved working with the people, and everyone there was very nice and supportive.
Pros
Good pay (negotiable), negotiable hours, good people
Cons
Rude customers, cleaning non stop, very-very loud.
Amazing people to work with, flexible schedule.
Line Cook/Prep Cook (Former Employee) –  Mentor, OHMarch 31, 2014
A typical day of work consisted of preparing various food items for later use while maintaining a clean work space and cooking food being ordered by guests in the restaurant. I learned to be quick on my feet and stay organized which helps efficiency and the ability to multitask proficiently. I also gained some hands on experience on how to prepare many different dishes. Management was disconnected from the employees, having little to no understanding of the difficulty of the tasks they were assigning in the given time they wanted it completed with the quality they wanted. The hardest part of the job was keeping track of cook times of different items on the grill while simultaneously making side dishes to accompany them and timing it all correctly with the rest of the tables order to deliver a quality meal right off the grill as fast as possible. The most enjoyable part of the job was the fellow employees, an amazing group of people that had amazing team work, the main reason the restaurant accomplished the high level of quality and efficiency on a daily basis.
Pros
discounted food, flexible schedule
Cons
terrible management-employee relationsihp
Worst place to work
Server (Former Employee) –  Farmington Hills, MISeptember 2, 2013
I hated working here. I worked for this company for only a few months. I was not properly trained, servers were rude, and very unorganized. When I was hired I was told we would take a test everyday of training. Ok fine. They told us we would take a food and beverage test and that they will pass out the booklet with the info when they get copies. Well fast forward they give me the food and beverage test expecting me to just no it.i didn't get a booklet or anything. I told them and they said to try my best. I gave it back to them and told them I don't know it and so they gave me the restaurants copy (at 10 at night) and told me to bring it back the next day I worked ( in the morning) and I would take the test then. Well obviously I still didn't no it. How could I learn this in 1 night? I quit because one day the supervisor was in charged for the night and my table kept complaining about their food not being cooked enough or burnt so the supervisor told the cook to put another fish and chips in the microwave. This was the worst job I have ever had and I cannot believe they put food in the microwave. Not to mention my table could tell it was put in the microwave.
Pros
nothing
Cons
poor training, unorganized, rude servers
Laid back, cool people not enough hours
Server (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHMay 8, 2014
I woud get in at the begging of my shift and make sure my section was tidy and ready to be sat. Then check out my in work which is what I have to do before every shift. Then I would occasionally sit/greet people. I would get a table then I would serve them to the best of my capabilities. I learned some new serving techniques that you can learn at a fast passed restaurant. My co-workers were all really cool people, they were all much older then me, but I still enjoyed being around them everyday. The hardest thing about this job was being able to pick up hours. They had so many people working in this tiny restaurant. It was hard to more around, and difficult to get good shifts and hours.
Pros
half off food, nice people all the time
Cons
not enough hours, small dinning area to serve
Awesome coworkers, easy job
Certified Trainer, Server, Bartender, Cook (Former Employee) –  Crestview Hills, KYMay 27, 2014
Everyone tends to get along pretty well. I loved my job at Max & Erma's but it was just a job. The work load was fairly easy with decent pay but, your lucky if you get enough hours to make a living. As far as the management goes they are all easy to get along with but they have communication problems between the four of them. The employees get sent home during slow periods of the day in order to save the company money. Instead, i feel they could be utilized to perform extra cleaning duties to help keep up on the appearance and cleanliness of the restaurant as a whole. Restaurant jobs are not good jobs to have if you are trying to have a life outside of work.
Pros
discounts, amazing tortilla soup
Cons
bad management communication, scheduling issues
Fun place to work
Service Manager (Current Employee) –  Livonia, MIJanuary 26, 2016
Pleasant upbeat place to work every day. Loved working with staff and making sure guests were happy and satisfied with the experience of coming to our restaurant. A typical day was making sure the staff was being friendly to the guests and promoting alcohol sales as well as upselling menu items. Always making sure to do table visits and making sure food came out and tasted properly. The best part of my job was making sure the guest was happy. I learned that keeping the restaurant clean and productive was a cornerstone to running a successful shift. Running contests daily weekly and monthly to drive sales and to keep staff upbeat made my days there very enjoyable. The hardest part of my job was making sure the staff stayed productive and to keep labor costs down to 19% or lover. My co workers were very pleasant people and made working there a fun and enjoyable experience.
Pros
Friendly co workers. Free meals. Good benefits
Cons
Old building made upkeep difficult
Great management team and work environment
Food Server (Current Employee) –  Perrysburg, OHJanuary 25, 2015
This really is a great company to work for. They really value the opinions of patrons, as well as, employees.The only downside is that income is not consistent because it is based on the amount of business. I made some very good friends here. It was a positive learning experience to work with young adults, it helped me to relate to my own children better. This job allowed me to provide for my daughter, and still be there for her when she needed me to be. As a single mom, I cannot express enough how important that has been for me.
Pros
flexible hours, food discounts
Cons
not always able to use the restroom, let alone take an actual break
Could be Great
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VAJanuary 21, 2014
A typical day at work could be hectic from beginning to end, or so slow you will catch up on lots of paperwork.
I have learned a lot about leadership, and working within the corporate world.
My co-workers work hard, yet lack the leader they need.
The hardest part of my job is having great ideas, and no authority to implement them; I have so much experience and want to help the business grow, but a lot of people in the company have already given up on it.
I love my co-workers, fast-paced excitement, and paperwork-as well as self training.
Pros
free meals with shift, and fun
Cons
all or nothing business, no preparation for the rush, and lack of training
A very productive and fast moving work place with great associates who put their all in customer satisfaction
Server/Waiter (Current Employee) –  Hilliard, OHSeptember 6, 2012
The restaurant is always a positive daily work environment that always allows me to create relationships with weekly clientele. Management always brings strong discipline and encouragement to all our associates when needed. Customer satisfaction is the ultimate goal to strive for during each and every shift ,and can be the hardest part of the job at times when going above and beyond to meet customers needs, but the rewards are always well worth the time and effort. The most enjoyable part of the job is establishing friendships through regular clientele on a weekly basis that always makes a positive, substantial change in your work atmosphere each and every day.
Compatible Co-workers; Understanding and considerate Management
Server (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VASeptember 24, 2014
While this job has helped me with customer service skills and has given me the ability to have longevity in a work place, it is not ideal financially. The management team is beyond comparison, they are understanding and considerate. They will go out of their way to make sure that you are set for your shift and help in whatever way they can. My co-workers are wonderful people, some of whom I have created long lasting friendships with. We all work well together, and have maintained the same employment status without many changes in the past two years.
Pros
flexible schedule
Cons
low wages
Restaurant environment, ability to learn multiple positions within - host, carry-out, expediator, server, etc.
Hostess, Carry Out, Server, Expo (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHSeptember 17, 2012
Weekends stay busy.
You learn to deal with the public, how to up-sell and make suggestions. Server incentives.
Management works with your schedule as much as possible. Requests off are met as long as other staff is available.
Co-workers: team oriented, help each other, stay busy, get side-work and opening duties finished by splitting up the work among them.
Hardest part is dealing with a slow day: little business, little tips.
Enjoyable part is co-workers you enjoy working with and helping every customer have a better day by serving them well.
Staff were awful. Very rude. Other employees were not helpful to new employees and managers did nothing about it.
Server/Waitress (Former Employee) –  Edinburgh, INMay 14, 2012
Do not recommend working fro this company!! I was new and they did not train me well at all. They just threw me out on the floor and expected me to know how to do all the right things, Then whe I would get something wrong or ask for help because I did not know how to do something they would ask me if I was blonde or tell me Im stupid. The other servers were making rude, disrespectful comments about customers, being rude to customers and the managers were aware of these things going on but did nothing to correct or stop them Even after mnultiple customers complained about the same few servers over and over and over again.
Max & Erma's
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHJanuary 17, 2016
I have learned a lot about leadership, and working within the corporate world.
My co-workers work hard, yet lack the leader they need.
Comming in Looking at the prep list and completing all task with my prep partner.
Prep Cook (Former Employee) –  Auburn Hills, MIOctober 30, 2012
Atypical day will be come in and clock in, and my partner and I will go in the walkin cooler to see what we need to prep, and take a look at the prep sheet and combine task. Then start settting up station to began preeping items, that was most needed first and the items that was left - we'll do those too. Clean up station, make sure everything is day dotted and sweeo and mop and go home.
Pros
sometimes they will bring food for us.
Cons
sometime we ranned out of product and had to wait for the grocery run to complete a task.
Fun and friendly environment
Hostess (Former Employee) –  Vernon Hills, ILJanuary 17, 2012
The fast paced environment helped the shift fly by. All employees maintain friendships and many outside activities were enjoyed. We went bowling, dancing and to the movies very often. The management always had your back. Employee reviews were completed every six months and sometimes a raise was given. It's too bad the company went out of business.
Pros
discounted meals.
Cons
no benefits for part time employees
Potential to be great fun.
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Lexington, KYDecember 4, 2012
This company, like most restaurants, varied greatly with which store you where placed in. Some stores provided a great work/life balance and consistently made bonus. Troubled stores were hard to get into and turn around with a horrible balance, bonus was almost impossible and much more detriment to advancement.
Pros
it could be very fun. a good store in a major market is very fun.
Cons
outskirt markets
worked there for three years and was treated poorly
Hostess, Waitress (Former Employee) –  Lancaster, OHApril 1, 2014
Max and Erma's was my first job ever.. I worked there for three years and busted my butt every day. Management was awful they treated everyone poorly. Demanding respect and giving none. You can't expect your employees to respect you when you give them no respect and treat them like they are disposable.
Pros
good food
Cons
terrible treatment of employees, late nights, no understanding of family things
Productive work place
Hostess (Former Employee) –  Novi, MIJuly 11, 2013
A typical day at work was being a host, sitting customers. The management was very nice and helped in any way they could! The co workers were also very nice. The hardest part of the job was when it got busy and trying to sit all the customers as fast as you can! The most enjoyable part of the job was the environment, its a great work place.
Fun environment within this company and teamwork with employees was on point
Pantry Chef (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, MISeptember 24, 2014
Definitely was a learning experience as this being my first restaurant job ever. I can honestly say it humbled me from being an impatient customer to understanding how difficult it can be as a cook getting orders out on time due to time management