Max & Erma's Employee Reviews

Fun place to work
Service Manager (Current Employee) –  Livonia, MIJanuary 26, 2016
Pleasant upbeat place to work every day. Loved working with staff and making sure guests were happy and satisfied with the experience of coming to our restaurant. A typical day was making sure the staff was being friendly to the guests and promoting alcohol sales as well as upselling menu items. Always making sure to do table visits and making sure food came out and tasted properly. The best part of my job was making sure the guest was happy. I learned that keeping the restaurant clean and productive was a cornerstone to running a successful shift. Running contests daily weekly and monthly to drive sales and to keep staff upbeat made my days there very enjoyable. The hardest part of my job was making sure the staff stayed productive and to keep labor costs down to 19% or lover. My co workers were very pleasant people and made working there a fun and enjoyable experience.
Pros
Friendly co workers. Free meals. Good benefits
Cons
Old building made upkeep difficult
Everything has ups and downs
Line Cook (Former Employee) –  Saint Peters, MOAugust 13, 2016
Overall, this has been a wonderful place to work. Great people that became great friends, and excellent management. Towards the end of my run, though, a lot of things were going bad. Plumbing would back up, and KEEP backing up, the line coolers kept breaking down and would not hold the temp, so everything would be shoved in the back or into other people's coolers, you know, simple things that could easily be replaced. Instead, though, they would get worked on, and break down yet again.

Don't get me wrong, though. I really did absolutely enjoy working here. I just thought it was time for me to move on and find out what more I could do in life. I would highly recommend applying, though, if they end up hiring. I wouldn't even hesitate to go back myself.
Pros
Half-off meals
Cons
Coolers kept breaking down
An opinion
Line Cook (Former Employee) –  Evansville, INSeptember 22, 2016
PROS- waitresses were very friendly and even brought some water for my pup. Quick to take orders and bring the check. Garden side salad was decent and fresh. They had a fair wine list- not huge but more than just one white and one red.

CONS- Barely any vegetarian options- seriously limited. I think it was the worst chicken tortilla soup I have ever had. I always set my standards low for things like airports but this soup was basically cream and cheese I think with a few little chunks of chicken and some spice. It made me sad but I ate it, trying to convince myself it was alright.
Productive work place
Waitress (Current Employee) –  Monroeville, PAJuly 27, 2016
Fun and productive work place. Good staff and good food. Management is friendly and good to work for. Schedule can be flexible.
Flexible hours, quick cash
MIXOLOGIST / CUSTOMER SERVICE REPRESENTATIVE (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHOctober 7, 2016
Overall a good place to work. Fast-paced with potential to advance. Management team was helpful and other team members as well. I quickly transitioned from serving to bartending within 2 months.
The Management team, were the most unproductive team that I have actually worked with.
Server and Trainer (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAFebruary 9, 2016
At first, working with Max and Erma's was fun, it was always busy; yet, there were too many moments of inconsistency with management. The managers would hardly ever correct or discipline negative behavior, harsh language, harassment or tardiness. These infractions, among others made it very difficult to work. Some of the servers were completing their own surveys to get a coupon for a certain percentage off, stealing gratuity off of tables, and even using the Good Neighbor cards on cash checks to have more gratuity. The management team would ignore this behavior along with other verbal slander that also made it rather difficult to work. I informed the General Manager several times that I would be reporting to corporate what was happening in the restaurant, she told me and I quote. "If you don't like the way I run the store you can find another job." So I did.
Pros
Cons
The servers would steal, The managers didn't care
It's was work.
Hostess/Cashier and Carry-Out (Former Employee) –  Sylvania, OHApril 25, 2016
The location I worked at is actually now closed due to problems with management. It had it's busy and slow moments. Co-workers were relatively friendly. The hardest part was that you had to make sure other people were doing their job before you could do yours.
Max & Erma's
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHJanuary 17, 2016
A typical day at work could be hectic from beginning to end, or so slow you will catch up on lots of paperwork.
I have learned a lot about leadership, and working within the corporate world.
My co-workers work hard, yet lack the leader they need.
The hardest part of my job is having great ideas, and no authority to implement them; I have so much experience and want to help the business grow, but a lot of people in the company have already given up on it.
I love my co-workers, fast-paced excitement, and paperwork-as well as self training.
Productive and fun workplace
Bartender/server (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, MIMay 17, 2016
I loved being in the heart of downtown Birmingham. I loved bartending and serving our guest. We had a sundae tub for the kids which was fun to do with them. I loved when the dream cruise came and we were out there selling our food.
Pros
everything
Cons
An up beat working environment
mentor to junior team members (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PASeptember 16, 2013
I have worked for Max & Erma's for 3 years now, I have seen a variety of typical work days.
1. I open the store, and run a few stations and a section of five tables, the section is large enough to seat up to 30 guests.

2. The day is rather routine, I greet the guests tell them the store promotions, fundraisers, and events that may be coming up. I interact with the guests, pertaining to their work day, what they do, and how my classes are going.

3. The great majority of the guests, like me a lot.

4. I have learned a great deal about how to give the guests exactly what they pay for, and also something unexpected. I give the best service that I can, without going overboard, or making the guests feel uncomfortable.

5. The management could use a little more education in dealing with understanding the flow of business, the guest, food safety, and how to treat people.

6. The majority of my co workers were fun to be around, they have given me a connection as a friend, moreso, than a coworker.

7. The most difficult task about being a server is having to adjust to getting multiple tables of guests at one time.

8. The most enjoyable part of this job was getting the experience, to become more self managing.
Pros
experience
Family values
Kitchen Manager (Current Employee) –  Lansing, MIApril 7, 2016
It is always a Fun time at Max and Erma's with everyone smiling and laughing all day long giving the guest the best experience possible.
Pros
Quality of life
Cons
Job Security lately
Fun and friendly environment
Hostess (Former Employee) –  Vernon Hills, ILJanuary 17, 2012
The fast paced environment helped the shift fly by. All employees maintain friendships and many outside activities were enjoyed. We went bowling, dancing and to the movies very often. The management always had your back. Employee reviews were completed every six months and sometimes a raise was given. It's too bad the company went out of business.
Pros
discounted meals.
Cons
no benefits for part time employees
the job was alright
Line Cook (Former Employee) –  Edinburgh, INSeptember 8, 2014
The first nine months I was there was great. When they had a manager come from a different store the restaurant went downhill. He had got a lot of people fired and caused a lot of people to quit.
Pros
worked with my school schedule
Cons
no benefits
Fast paced working environment
Culinary Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Westland, MIMay 4, 2013
I've worked here for seven years but am in desperate need of better employment. This is not a good employer to have when trying to support a family.
Pros
longevity
Cons
No opportunity for advancement, limited pay raises
A learning experience.
Restaurant Manager (Former Employee) –  Monroeville, PAJuly 14, 2014
Very long hours and involved workplace for very little recognition and compensation.
SERVER (Current Employee) –  Dublin, OHJanuary 13, 2016
Nice place to work and get by. Good managing staff. Great employees and culture. Learned to become a great reliable employee.
Pros
flexible scheduling
Cons
sometimes not too busy
lots of turn around with mgt
Bartender/Trainer (Former Employee) –  Springboro, OHSeptember 21, 2013
Ok place to work when you have the right staff and Mgt. Poor Benefits and low pay
Pros
Hours
Benefits
Awesome coworkers, easy job
Certified Trainer, Server, Bartender, Cook (Former Employee) –  Crestview Hills, KYMay 27, 2014
Everyone tends to get along pretty well. I loved my job at Max & Erma's but it was just a job. The work load was fairly easy with decent pay but, your lucky if you get enough hours to make a living. As far as the management goes they are all easy to get along with but they have communication problems between the four of them. The employees get sent home during slow periods of the day in order to save the company money. Instead, i feel they could be utilized to perform extra cleaning duties to help keep up on the appearance and cleanliness of the restaurant as a whole. Restaurant jobs are not good jobs to have if you are trying to have a life outside of work.
Pros
Discounts, Amazing Tortilla soup
Cons
Bad management communication, Scheduling issues
Prep and salad
Pantry Chef, Prep (Former Employee) –  Livonia, MINovember 30, 2015
Pantry is responsible for cold side of the line such as salads, sandwiches, and desserts. I have opening experience and closing experience. I am aware of health codes, and food knowledge of prepping, knife handling, and dangerous temperatures.
Potential to be great fun.
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Lexington, KYDecember 4, 2012
This company, like most restaurants, varied greatly with which store you where placed in. Some stores provided a great work/life balance and consistently made bonus. Troubled stores were hard to get into and turn around with a horrible balance, bonus was almost impossible and much more detriment to advancement.
Pros
it could be very fun. a good store in a major market is very fun.
Cons
outskirt markets

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Max & Erma's. Our community is ready to answer.

2.7