Max & Erma's Employee Reviews in United States

It's was work.
Hostess/Cashier and Carry-Out (Former Employee) –  Sylvania, OHApril 25, 2016
The location I worked at is actually now closed due to problems with management. It had it's busy and slow moments. Co-workers were relatively friendly. The hardest part was that you had to make sure other people were doing their job before you could do yours.
Family values
Kitchen Manager (Current Employee) –  Lansing, MIApril 7, 2016
It is always a Fun time at Max and Erma's with everyone smiling and laughing all day long giving the guest the best experience possible.
Pros
Quality of life
Cons
Job Security lately
The Management team, were the most unproductive team that I have actually worked with.
Server and Trainer (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAFebruary 9, 2016
At first, working with Max and Erma's was fun, it was always busy; yet, there were too many moments of inconsistency with management. The managers would hardly ever correct or discipline negative behavior, harsh language, harassment or tardiness. These infractions, among others made it very difficult to work. Some of the servers were completing their own surveys to get a coupon for a certain percentage off, stealing gratuity off of tables, and even using the Good Neighbor cards on cash checks to have more gratuity. The management team would ignore this behavior along with other verbal slander that also made it rather difficult to work. I informed the General Manager several times that I would be reporting to corporate what was happening in the restaurant, she told me and I quote. "If you don't like the way I run the store you can find another job." So I did.
Pros
Cons
The servers would steal, The managers didn't care
Fun place to work
Service Manager (Current Employee) –  Livonia, MIJanuary 26, 2016
Pleasant upbeat place to work every day. Loved working with staff and making sure guests were happy and satisfied with the experience of coming to our restaurant. A typical day was making sure the staff was being friendly to the guests and promoting alcohol sales as well as upselling menu items. Always making sure to do table visits and making sure food came out and tasted properly. The best part of my job was making sure the guest was happy. I learned that keeping the restaurant clean and productive was a cornerstone to running a successful shift. Running contests daily weekly and monthly to drive sales and to keep staff upbeat made my days there very enjoyable. The hardest part of my job was making sure the staff stayed productive and to keep labor costs down to 19% or lover. My co workers were very pleasant people and made working there a fun and enjoyable experience.
Pros
Friendly co workers. Free meals. Good benefits
Cons
Old building made upkeep difficult
Max & Erma's
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHJanuary 17, 2016
A typical day at work could be hectic from beginning to end, or so slow you will catch up on lots of paperwork.
I have learned a lot about leadership, and working within the corporate world.
My co-workers work hard, yet lack the leader they need.
The hardest part of my job is having great ideas, and no authority to implement them; I have so much experience and want to help the business grow, but a lot of people in the company have already given up on it.
I love my co-workers, fast-paced excitement, and paperwork-as well as self training.
SERVER (Current Employee) –  Dublin, OHJanuary 13, 2016
Nice place to work and get by. Good managing staff. Great employees and culture. Learned to become a great reliable employee.
Pros
flexible scheduling
Cons
sometimes not too busy
Prep and salad
Pantry Chef, Prep (Former Employee) –  Livonia, MINovember 30, 2015
Pantry is responsible for cold side of the line such as salads, sandwiches, and desserts. I have opening experience and closing experience. I am aware of health codes, and food knowledge of prepping, knife handling, and dangerous temperatures.
fast services
Cook (Former Employee) –  Toledo, OHOctober 30, 2015
I enjoyed opening in the morning my managers and co-workers where great.I loved to sit down and enjoy qualety food on my lunch break.I disliked the pay period.
Pros
great food
Cons
pay poeriod
Great environment
Restaurant Server (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHJune 4, 2015
I served restaurant quests gourmet food with great enthusiasm. Awesome coworkers in an awesome environment. Time flies during shifts it seems.
Pros
Half off great food and flexible schedule
Cons
n/a
It was wonderful for the most part.
Hostess (Former Employee) –  8050 East Broad Street Reynoldsburg, Ohio 43068May 5, 2015
Working at Max & Erma's was fun, just slightly stressful- like how it is in any restaurant. The managers were very sweet and understanding. You wouldn't get in too much trouble if you didn't show up, just if you made sure to call ahead first. What I usually did was come in 10 minutes early and looked at what I had to do- as a host (where the crayons restocked enough for tonight, kids menu's and such, were the bathrooms restocked and clean, was the floor swept, was the board updated). It usually took me 10 minutes to do this, so they would clock me on early. I learned that some people are very needy, and some are very easy to talk too. Like, some needed a hard chair to sit on- but not that hard! And some needed the quietest spot in the room, or the seat furthest away from any kids. And some people were like "yeah sit me on the floor I don't care." I worked on the Max and Erma's on East Broad in Reynoldsburg, and it was busy every night. So dealing with 1-2 hour long waits, and the wait after the wait was pretty difficult. I loved working with the people, and everyone there was very nice and supportive.
Pros
Good pay (negotiable), negotiable hours, good people
Cons
Rude customers, cleaning non stop, very-very loud.
Positive work environment with ability to embrace change
Local Store Marketing Specialist (Former Employee) –  Monroeville, PAMarch 28, 2015
Implemented and Developed marketing strategies while gaining business to improve brand exposure and client base. The flexible work hours and customer interaction helped drive me to succeed record breaking goals.
Pros
Free lunch, Flexibility with hours
Cons
No healthcare, limited growth
Great management team and work environment
Food Server (Current Employee) –  Perrysburg, OHJanuary 25, 2015
This really is a great company to work for. They really value the opinions of patrons, as well as, employees.The only downside is that income is not consistent because it is based on the amount of business. I made some very good friends here. It was a positive learning experience to work with young adults, it helped me to relate to my own children better. This job allowed me to provide for my daughter, and still be there for her when she needed me to be. As a single mom, I cannot express enough how important that has been for me.
Pros
flexible hours, food discounts
Cons
not always able to use the restroom, let alone take an actual break
busy downtown restaurant
Dishwasher/Busser (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, MINovember 7, 2014
a typical day would consist of coming in washing dishes and busing off tables. i learned how to stay in a routine and keep things organized
Pros
friendly staff
Cons
horrible customers
Fun environment within this company and teamwork with employees was on point
Pantry Chef (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, MISeptember 24, 2014
Definitely was a learning experience as this being my first restaurant job ever. I can honestly say it humbled me from being an impatient customer to understanding how difficult it can be as a cook getting orders out on time due to time management
Compatible Co-workers; Understanding and considerate Management
Server (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VASeptember 24, 2014
While this job has helped me with customer service skills and has given me the ability to have longevity in a work place, it is not ideal financially. The management team is beyond comparison, they are understanding and considerate. They will go out of their way to make sure that you are set for your shift and help in whatever way they can. My co-workers are wonderful people, some of whom I have created long lasting friendships with. We all work well together, and have maintained the same employment status without many changes in the past two years.
Pros
flexible schedule
Cons
low wages
the job was alright
Line Cook (Former Employee) –  Edinburgh, INSeptember 8, 2014
The first nine months I was there was great. When they had a manager come from a different store the restaurant went downhill. He had got a lot of people fired and caused a lot of people to quit.
Pros
worked with my school schedule
Cons
no benefits
Fast paced and a fun place to work
Cook (Former Employee) –  Edinburgh, INAugust 26, 2014
I cooked for Max and Erma's. We did a lot of cleaning, prepping, doing dishes, and preparing all different types of food for customers.
Pros
flexible schedule
Cons
no insurance
A learning experience.
Restaurant Manager (Former Employee) –  Monroeville, PAJuly 14, 2014
Very long hours and involved workplace for very little recognition and compensation.
Awesome coworkers, easy job
Certified Trainer, Server, Bartender, Cook (Former Employee) –  Crestview Hills, KYMay 27, 2014
Everyone tends to get along pretty well. I loved my job at Max & Erma's but it was just a job. The work load was fairly easy with decent pay but, your lucky if you get enough hours to make a living. As far as the management goes they are all easy to get along with but they have communication problems between the four of them. The employees get sent home during slow periods of the day in order to save the company money. Instead, i feel they could be utilized to perform extra cleaning duties to help keep up on the appearance and cleanliness of the restaurant as a whole. Restaurant jobs are not good jobs to have if you are trying to have a life outside of work.
Pros
discounts, amazing tortilla soup
Cons
bad management communication, scheduling issues
not enough hours
Server/Waiter (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOApril 10, 2014
the co workers are great but business does not produce enough hours weekly.