Max & Erma's Employee Reviews

Good place for my first job experiences
Host/ Busboy/ Line Cook/ Dish/ Carry-Out/ Expo (Former Employee) –  Dublin, OHMarch 8, 2017
I didn't really have typical days at this restaurant because I did a lot of different jobs. I would float around when needed doing various tasks. I learned a lot about customer satisfaction and about the restaurant industry in general. This was one of my first jobs so I learned a lot about the real world work environment as well. The workplace culture was fun, but could get very stressful on busy nights. The hardest part of the job was learning how to deal with upset customers in an appropriate manner. The most enjoyable part of this job was learning all about the restaurant business.
Pros
Really good first hand job experience
Cons
Not much room for advancement
Friendly staff, willing to work with busy schedules
Server (Current Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHMarch 6, 2017
I have been with this company since 2011. It was my first job and I have been dedicated to doing better every day. I have worked here through high school and college. Management has worked with my busy schedule and enabled me to work the desired shifts.

Staff is friendly and works as a team. I learned about leadership, being one of the longest working employees there. I have gained an understanding of the management process and will help managers with their duties.

I have gathered an excellent understanding in customer service. I am able to maintain a positive and friendly attitude even in the hardest, most high pressure times. I have learned how to effectively communicate and satisfy customers needs with innovative ideas and quick problem solving.

The most rewarding part of the business is gaining regulars who get to know you and make connections with you. Satisfying customers, and knowing you are making a difference.
Pros
Good pay, flexible schedules
Cons
short shifts, limited shift avaliability.
great fun workplace clean great food
Prep Cook/Dishwasher (Former Employee) –  Westlake, OHMarch 4, 2017
good food good people great location this was the best job ive obtained so far i loved every minute there i even got a promotion there
management is sketchy
Hostess/Server (Former Employee) –  Findlay, OHFebruary 27, 2017
management constantly seeming sketchy about business. managers sleeping with other employees. had some managers doing drugs in the office. business extremely slow
Good people all around
Line Cook (Former Employee) –  Clinton Township, MIFebruary 22, 2017
Great restaurant to cook for very clean, loved everyone i worked with. Management was very flexible with me.
Less hours in the winter due to this location being an outdoor mall.
Fun workplace
Cook, Server, Carryout Order Provider (Current Employee) –  Aberdeen, SDFebruary 18, 2017
Fast-paced, overall fun workplace. Can be extremely stressful at times. Management could be better. Easy to get along with coworkers. I learned mostly basic skills about food service procedures.
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
Not great pay
Decent Place to Work
Server (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHJanuary 16, 2017
A typical day at work was enjoyable. Had a lot of good friends on the job. Sections were not very large and I did not make as much money here as I have in previous serving jobs. Had some of the worst management I have ever dealt with but all else was alright.
Flexible hours, quick cash
MIXOLOGIST / CUSTOMER SERVICE REPRESENTATIVE (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHOctober 7, 2016
Overall a good place to work. Fast-paced with potential to advance. Management team was helpful and other team members as well. I quickly transitioned from serving to bartending within 2 months.
An opinion
Line Cook (Former Employee) –  Evansville, INSeptember 22, 2016
PROS- waitresses were very friendly and even brought some water for my pup. Quick to take orders and bring the check. Garden side salad was decent and fresh. They had a fair wine list- not huge but more than just one white and one red.

CONS- Barely any vegetarian options- seriously limited. I think it was the worst chicken tortilla soup I have ever had. I always set my standards low for things like airports but this soup was basically cream and cheese I think with a few little chunks of chicken and some spice. It made me sad but I ate it, trying to convince myself it was alright.
Everything has ups and downs
Line Cook (Former Employee) –  Saint Peters, MOAugust 13, 2016
Overall, this has been a wonderful place to work. Great people that became great friends, and excellent management. Towards the end of my run, though, a lot of things were going bad. Plumbing would back up, and KEEP backing up, the line coolers kept breaking down and would not hold the temp, so everything would be shoved in the back or into other people's coolers, you know, simple things that could easily be replaced. Instead, though, they would get worked on, and break down yet again.

Don't get me wrong, though. I really did absolutely enjoy working here. I just thought it was time for me to move on and find out what more I could do in life. I would highly recommend applying, though, if they end up hiring. I wouldn't even hesitate to go back myself.
Pros
Half-off meals
Cons
Coolers kept breaking down
Productive work place
Waitress (Current Employee) –  Monroeville, PAJuly 27, 2016
Fun and productive work place. Good staff and good food. Management is friendly and good to work for. Schedule can be flexible.
Productive and fun workplace
Bartender/server (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, MIMay 17, 2016
I loved being in the heart of downtown Birmingham. I loved bartending and serving our guest. We had a sundae tub for the kids which was fun to do with them. I loved when the dream cruise came and we were out there selling our food.
Pros
everything
It's was work.
Hostess/Cashier and Carry-Out (Former Employee) –  Sylvania, OHApril 25, 2016
The location I worked at is actually now closed due to problems with management. It had it's busy and slow moments. Co-workers were relatively friendly. The hardest part was that you had to make sure other people were doing their job before you could do yours.
Family values
Kitchen Manager (Current Employee) –  Lansing, MIApril 7, 2016
It is always a Fun time at Max and Erma's with everyone smiling and laughing all day long giving the guest the best experience possible.
Pros
Quality of life
Cons
Job Security lately
The Management team, were the most unproductive team that I have actually worked with.
Server and Trainer (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAFebruary 9, 2016
At first, working with Max and Erma's was fun, it was always busy; yet, there were too many moments of inconsistency with management. The managers would hardly ever correct or discipline negative behavior, harsh language, harassment or tardiness. These infractions, among others made it very difficult to work. Some of the servers were completing their own surveys to get a coupon for a certain percentage off, stealing gratuity off of tables, and even using the Good Neighbor cards on cash checks to have more gratuity. The management team would ignore this behavior along with other verbal slander that also made it rather difficult to work. I informed the General Manager several times that I would be reporting to corporate what was happening in the restaurant, she told me and I quote. "If you don't like the way I run the store you can find another job." So I did.
Pros
Cons
The servers would steal, The managers didn't care
Fun place to work
Service Manager (Current Employee) –  Livonia, MIJanuary 26, 2016
Pleasant upbeat place to work every day. Loved working with staff and making sure guests were happy and satisfied with the experience of coming to our restaurant. A typical day was making sure the staff was being friendly to the guests and promoting alcohol sales as well as upselling menu items. Always making sure to do table visits and making sure food came out and tasted properly. The best part of my job was making sure the guest was happy. I learned that keeping the restaurant clean and productive was a cornerstone to running a successful shift. Running contests daily weekly and monthly to drive sales and to keep staff upbeat made my days there very enjoyable. The hardest part of my job was making sure the staff stayed productive and to keep labor costs down to 19% or lover. My co workers were very pleasant people and made working there a fun and enjoyable experience.
Pros
Friendly co workers. Free meals. Good benefits
Cons
Old building made upkeep difficult
Max & Erma's
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHJanuary 17, 2016
A typical day at work could be hectic from beginning to end, or so slow you will catch up on lots of paperwork.
I have learned a lot about leadership, and working within the corporate world.
My co-workers work hard, yet lack the leader they need.
The hardest part of my job is having great ideas, and no authority to implement them; I have so much experience and want to help the business grow, but a lot of people in the company have already given up on it.
I love my co-workers, fast-paced excitement, and paperwork-as well as self training.
SERVER (Current Employee) –  Dublin, OHJanuary 13, 2016
Nice place to work and get by. Good managing staff. Great employees and culture. Learned to become a great reliable employee.
Pros
flexible scheduling
Cons
sometimes not too busy
Prep and salad
Pantry Chef, Prep (Former Employee) –  Livonia, MINovember 30, 2015
Pantry is responsible for cold side of the line such as salads, sandwiches, and desserts. I have opening experience and closing experience. I am aware of health codes, and food knowledge of prepping, knife handling, and dangerous temperatures.
fast services
Cook (Former Employee) –  Toledo, OHOctober 30, 2015
I enjoyed opening in the morning my managers and co-workers where great.I loved to sit down and enjoy qualety food on my lunch break.I disliked the pay period.
Pros
great food
Cons
pay poeriod

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Max & Erma's. Our community is ready to answer.

2.7