Max & Erma's Employee Reviews in United States

Everything has ups and downs
Line Cook (Former Employee) –  Saint Peters, MOAugust 13, 2016
Overall, this has been a wonderful place to work. Great people that became great friends, and excellent management. Towards the end of my run, though, a lot of things were going bad. Plumbing would back up, and KEEP backing up, the line coolers kept breaking down and would not hold the temp, so everything would be shoved in the back or into other people's coolers, you know, simple things that could easily be replaced. Instead, though, they would get worked on, and break down yet again.

Don't get me wrong, though. I really did absolutely enjoy working here. I just thought it was time for me to move on and find out what more I could do in life. I would highly recommend applying, though, if they end up hiring. I wouldn't even hesitate to go back myself.
Pros
Half-off meals
Cons
Coolers kept breaking down
Productive and fun workplace
Bartender/server (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, MIMay 17, 2016
I loved being in the heart of downtown Birmingham. I loved bartending and serving our guest. We had a sundae tub for the kids which was fun to do with them. I loved when the dream cruise came and we were out there selling our food.
Pros
everything
It's was work.
Hostess/Cashier and Carry-Out (Former Employee) –  Sylvania, OHApril 25, 2016
The location I worked at is actually now closed due to problems with management. It had it's busy and slow moments. Co-workers were relatively friendly. The hardest part was that you had to make sure other people were doing their job before you could do yours.
Max & Erma's
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHJanuary 17, 2016
A typical day at work could be hectic from beginning to end, or so slow you will catch up on lots of paperwork.
I have learned a lot about leadership, and working within the corporate world.
My co-workers work hard, yet lack the leader they need.
The hardest part of my job is having great ideas, and no authority to implement them; I have so much experience and want to help the business grow, but a lot of people in the company have already given up on it.
I love my co-workers, fast-paced excitement, and paperwork-as well as self training.
Productive work place
Waitress (Current Employee) –  Monroeville, PAJuly 27, 2016
Fun and productive work place. Good staff and good food. Management is friendly and good to work for. Schedule can be flexible.
The Management team, were the most unproductive team that I have actually worked with.
Server and Trainer (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAFebruary 9, 2016
At first, working with Max and Erma's was fun, it was always busy; yet, there were too many moments of inconsistency with management. The managers would hardly ever correct or discipline negative behavior, harsh language, harassment or tardiness. These infractions, among others made it very difficult to work. Some of the servers were completing their own surveys to get a coupon for a certain percentage off, stealing gratuity off of tables, and even using the Good Neighbor cards on cash checks to have more gratuity. The management team would ignore this behavior along with other verbal slander that also made it rather difficult to work. I informed the General Manager several times that I would be reporting to corporate what was happening in the restaurant, she told me and I quote. "If you don't like the way I run the store you can find another job." So I did.
Pros
Cons
The servers would steal, The managers didn't care
Fun place to work
Service Manager (Current Employee) –  Livonia, MIJanuary 26, 2016
Pleasant upbeat place to work every day. Loved working with staff and making sure guests were happy and satisfied with the experience of coming to our restaurant. A typical day was making sure the staff was being friendly to the guests and promoting alcohol sales as well as upselling menu items. Always making sure to do table visits and making sure food came out and tasted properly. The best part of my job was making sure the guest was happy. I learned that keeping the restaurant clean and productive was a cornerstone to running a successful shift. Running contests daily weekly and monthly to drive sales and to keep staff upbeat made my days there very enjoyable. The hardest part of my job was making sure the staff stayed productive and to keep labor costs down to 19% or lover. My co workers were very pleasant people and made working there a fun and enjoyable experience.
Pros
Friendly co workers. Free meals. Good benefits
Cons
Old building made upkeep difficult
Family values
Kitchen Manager (Current Employee) –  Lansing, MIApril 7, 2016
It is always a Fun time at Max and Erma's with everyone smiling and laughing all day long giving the guest the best experience possible.
Pros
Quality of life
Cons
Job Security lately
Prep and salad
Pantry Chef, Prep (Former Employee) –  Livonia, MINovember 30, 2015
Pantry is responsible for cold side of the line such as salads, sandwiches, and desserts. I have opening experience and closing experience. I am aware of health codes, and food knowledge of prepping, knife handling, and dangerous temperatures.
SERVER (Current Employee) –  Dublin, OHJanuary 13, 2016
Nice place to work and get by. Good managing staff. Great employees and culture. Learned to become a great reliable employee.
Pros
flexible scheduling
Cons
sometimes not too busy

Want to know more about Max & Erma's?

Ask a question
fast services
Cook (Former Employee) –  Toledo, OHOctober 30, 2015
I enjoyed opening in the morning my managers and co-workers where great.I loved to sit down and enjoy qualety food on my lunch break.I disliked the pay period.
Pros
great food
Cons
pay poeriod
Positive work environment with ability to embrace change
Local Store Marketing Specialist (Former Employee) –  Monroeville, PAMarch 28, 2015
Implemented and Developed marketing strategies while gaining business to improve brand exposure and client base. The flexible work hours and customer interaction helped drive me to succeed record breaking goals.
Pros
Free lunch, Flexibility with hours
Cons
No healthcare, limited growth
Great management team and work environment
Food Server (Current Employee) –  Perrysburg, OHJanuary 25, 2015
This really is a great company to work for. They really value the opinions of patrons, as well as, employees.The only downside is that income is not consistent because it is based on the amount of business. I made some very good friends here. It was a positive learning experience to work with young adults, it helped me to relate to my own children better. This job allowed me to provide for my daughter, and still be there for her when she needed me to be. As a single mom, I cannot express enough how important that has been for me.
Pros
flexible hours, food discounts
Cons
not always able to use the restroom, let alone take an actual break
Great environment
Restaurant Server (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHJune 4, 2015
I served restaurant quests gourmet food with great enthusiasm. Awesome coworkers in an awesome environment. Time flies during shifts it seems.
Pros
Half off great food and flexible schedule
Cons
n/a
Compatible Co-workers; Understanding and considerate Management
Server (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VASeptember 24, 2014
While this job has helped me with customer service skills and has given me the ability to have longevity in a work place, it is not ideal financially. The management team is beyond comparison, they are understanding and considerate. They will go out of their way to make sure that you are set for your shift and help in whatever way they can. My co-workers are wonderful people, some of whom I have created long lasting friendships with. We all work well together, and have maintained the same employment status without many changes in the past two years.
Pros
flexible schedule
Cons
low wages
worked there for three years and was treated poorly
Hostess, Waitress (Former Employee) –  Lancaster, OHApril 1, 2014
Max and Erma's was my first job ever.. I worked there for three years and busted my butt every day. Management was awful they treated everyone poorly. Demanding respect and giving none. You can't expect your employees to respect you when you give them no respect and treat them like they are disposable.
Pros
good food
Cons
terrible treatment of employees, late nights, no understanding of family things
Could be Great
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VAJanuary 21, 2014
I have learned a lot about leadership, and working within the corporate world.
My co-workers work hard, yet lack the leader they need.
Pros
free meals with shift, and fun
Cons
all or nothing business, no preparation for the rush, and lack of training
Awesome coworkers, easy job
Certified Trainer, Server, Bartender, Cook (Former Employee) –  Crestview Hills, KYMay 27, 2014
Everyone tends to get along pretty well. I loved my job at Max & Erma's but it was just a job. The work load was fairly easy with decent pay but, your lucky if you get enough hours to make a living. As far as the management goes they are all easy to get along with but they have communication problems between the four of them. The employees get sent home during slow periods of the day in order to save the company money. Instead, i feel they could be utilized to perform extra cleaning duties to help keep up on the appearance and cleanliness of the restaurant as a whole. Restaurant jobs are not good jobs to have if you are trying to have a life outside of work.
Pros
discounts, amazing tortilla soup
Cons
bad management communication, scheduling issues
Comming in Looking at the prep list and completing all task with my prep partner.
Prep Cook (Former Employee) –  Auburn Hills, MIOctober 30, 2012
Atypical day will be come in and clock in, and my partner and I will go in the walkin cooler to see what we need to prep, and take a look at the prep sheet and combine task. Then start settting up station to began preeping items, that was most needed first and the items that was left - we'll do those too. Clean up station, make sure everything is day dotted and sweeo and mop and go home.
Pros
sometimes they will bring food for us.
Cons
sometime we ranned out of product and had to wait for the grocery run to complete a task.
Restaurant environment, ability to learn multiple positions within - host, carry-out, expediator, server, etc.
Hostess, Carry Out, Server, Expo (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHSeptember 17, 2012
Weekends stay busy.
You learn to deal with the public, how to up-sell and make suggestions. Server incentives.
Management works with your schedule as much as possible. Requests off are met as long as other staff is available.
Co-workers: team oriented, help each other, stay busy, get side-work and opening duties finished by splitting up the work among them.
Hardest part is dealing with a slow day: little business, little tips.
Enjoyable part is co-workers you enjoy working with and helping every customer have a better day by serving them well.

2.6