MAX & ERMA'S

MAX & ERMA'S Employer Reviews

Fast paced working environment
Culinary Supervisor (Current Employee), Westland, MIMay 4, 2013
Pros: longevity
Cons: no opportunity for advancement, limited pay raises
I've worked here for seven years but am in desperate need of better employment. This is not a good employer to have when trying to support a family.
same as every serving job
Server and Expediter (Former Employee), Pickerington, OHApril 30, 2013
Working for this company is just like being a server everywhere else.
A family restaurant that I was sad to leave.
Bartender, Server, Trainer (Former Employee), Canton, MIApril 25, 2013
Good chain restaurant that I worked for for five years. They made me feel valued, but couldn't reach my income goals.
Overall a beautiful eviorment& resturaunt
Max & Erma's (Former Employee), Norfolk, VAApril 14, 2013
Pros: we had free lunch due to employers
Cons: we took 30 min lunch breaks daily
Buss tables
prepped all types of food
Everyone got along an work with each as a team
I was a great team member an would love to help out any an everyone..
Corners cut everywhere, and it shows.
Line Cook (Former Employee), Beavercreek OHApril 9, 2013
Pros: average or slightly higher than average pay
Cons: no training, no accountability, no leadership.
I've worked in the food business for over 15 years; this job was near the bottom of the barrel and I'm very glad I left. I received nearly-zero training, regular verbal abuse from management, and coworkers who were so jaded that they just plain didn't care any more.

When I was hired, I asked for copies of all the recipes I was responsible for so I – more... could memorize them and be more efficient at my job. I was rebuffed harshly; under the excuse that the recipes were "closely-guarded company secrets" and the recipes couldn't leave the building. About a month into my employment, the menu was changed and about a dozen dishes were added. I was so out-of-the-loop that I never knew of the new menu until the expediter was asking me for items that I didn't even know we sold. "Where's the chicken pot pie?" "What do you mean chicken pot pie; we don't even sell that here!" "We do as of this morning."

This was a common theme throughout the restaurant; managers who just plain don't care, don't plan, and don't take responsibility when things go wrong. I was "hung out to dry" by my own GM multiple times just so she didn't look bad in front of others.

I feel sorry for the management; the corporate office puts BIG pressure on them to meet sales and costs goals that they have no realistic chance of meeting; but that still doesn't excuse the way they treat their staff. – less
Max and erma's is a great place to work.
Grill Cook (Former Employee), Columbus, OHJanuary 12, 2013
Pros: great food
Cons: hours wrked
I like working at Max & Erma"s because of the friendly enviroment that was in the kitchen. If we had a great lunch or dinner we would get rewarded through various ways.
Potential to be great fun.
Store Manager (Former Employee), Lexington, KYDecember 4, 2012
Pros: it could be very fun. a good store in a major market is very fun.
Cons: outskirt markets
This company, like most restaurants, varied greatly with which store you where placed in. Some stores provided a great work/life balance and consistently made bonus. Troubled stores were hard to get into and turn around with a horrible balance, bonus was almost impossible and much more detriment to advancement.
Comming in Looking at the prep list and completing all task with my prep partner.
Prep Cook (Former Employee), Auburn Hills, MIOctober 30, 2012
Pros: sometimes they will bring food for us.
Cons: sometime we ranned out of product and had to wait for the grocery run to complete a task.
Atypical day will be come in and clock in, and my partner and I will go in the walkin cooler to see what we need to prep, and take a look at the prep sheet and combine task. Then start settting up station to began preeping items, that was most needed first and the items that was left - we'll do those too. Clean up station, make sure everything is day – more... dotted and sweeo and mop and go home. – less
Restaurant environment, ability to learn multiple positions within - host, carry-out, expediator, server, etc.
Hostess, Carry Out, Server, Expo (Current Employee), Columbus, OHSeptember 17, 2012
Weekends stay busy.
You learn to deal with the public, how to up-sell and make suggestions. Server incentives.
Management works with your schedule as much as possible. Requests off are met as long as other staff is available.
Co-workers: team oriented, help each other, stay busy, get side-work and opening duties finished by splitting up the work among – more... them.
Hardest part is dealing with a slow day: little business, little tips.
Enjoyable part is co-workers you enjoy working with and helping every customer have a better day by serving them well. – less
A very productive and fast moving work place with great associates who put their all in customer satisfaction
Server/Waiter (Current Employee), Hilliard, OHSeptember 6, 2012
The restaurant is always a positive daily work environment that always allows me to create relationships with weekly clientele. Management always brings strong discipline and encouragement to all our associates when needed. Customer satisfaction is the ultimate goal to strive for during each and every shift ,and can be the hardest part of the job at – more... times when going above and beyond to meet customers needs, but the rewards are always well worth the time and effort. The most enjoyable part of the job is establishing friendships through regular clientele on a weekly basis that always makes a positive, substantial change in your work atmosphere each and every day. – less
productive
Cook (Former Employee), Findlay, OHAugust 31, 2012
i like working here but it was just something to help get experiance
if certain things change i would love the place
Server/ Cashier (Current Employee), Hebron, KYAugust 17, 2012
Pros: i love my co-workers
Cons: we never have all the tools we need to do our jobs so we do our best
it really depends on the day what manager is there and how my day being going but at the end of the day im there to do my job and take care of my customers
Fun job for a teenager
Hostess (Former Employee), Huntington, WVAugust 13, 2012
Pros: interacting with customers
Cons: on your feet all day, under paid
I worked as a hostess. I enjoyed working face to face with customers. Management wasn't always so friendly or understanding when it came to a personal issue. Overall, a decent place to work if you are young.
Staff were awful. Very rude. Other employees were not helpful to new employees and managers did nothing about it.
Server/Waitress (Former Employee), Edinburgh, INMay 14, 2012
Do not recommend working fro this company!! I was new and they did not train me well at all. They just threw me out on the floor and expected me to know how to do all the right things, Then whe I would get something wrong or ask for help because I did not know how to do something they would ask me if I was blonde or tell me Im stupid. The other servers – more... were making rude, disrespectful comments about customers, being rude to customers and the managers were aware of these things going on but did nothing to correct or stop them Even after mnultiple customers complained about the same few servers over and over and over again. – less
Cool, Laid back atmosphere.
Line Cook (Current Employee), Westland, MIMarch 22, 2012
Pros: parties in the bar on holidays
Cons: the gossip.
Most enjoyable part of the job was almost everything, from the employees to the managers, the hardest part of the job was when I first started. Now I have a schedule for every morning and know how to manage my time.
Fun and friendly environment
Hostess (Former Employee), Vernon Hills, ILJanuary 17, 2012
Pros: discounted meals.
Cons: no benefits for part time employees
The fast paced environment helped the shift fly by. All employees maintain friendships and many outside activities were enjoyed. We went bowling, dancing and to the movies very often. The management always had your back. Employee reviews were completed every six months and sometimes a raise was given. It's too bad the company went out of business.