MAY INSTITUTE Employee Reviews

very laid back place to work at
Program Specialist (Former Employee) –  Revere, MADecember 14, 2017
really nice place to work at kind of sad and regretful I quit due to no progress I was having but money is good tons of overtime and friendly staff and bosses actually listen to you would love to go back
Pros
made tons of money working working overtime
Interesting, stressful, fast pace
Program Specialist (Current Employee) –  Mashpee, MADecember 4, 2017
Every day is an adventure working with this population, you never know if it will be an easy day or long and stressful walking in. Individuals severity varies.
nice place to work
Program Specialist (Current Employee) –  West Springfield, MANovember 19, 2017
good job to have. nice environment with good support all around. work days are centered around the clients, with various outings and events. I recommend this company.
Helping the students to progress on their goals is very rewarding.
Assistant Teacher (Former Employee) –  Brockton, MANovember 12, 2017
The pay and benefits are good compared to other companies that do not require a degree for entry level positions. They do pay some tuition costs if people choose to go back to school. Shifts can be picked up at the residences if people want overtime. Working with students that can sometimes tantrum for hours at a time and have repeated holds can be taxing. A typical day includes meeting at the school, going to the residences in vans, assisting the students to get ready (bathroom, showering, dressing, breakfast, toothbrushing), and administering medications if med. trained. Then the vans are taken back to the school. Staff assist the students with groups, programs, therapy (occupational, speech, physical), vocational activities, gym time, bathroom, etc. The residence staff come and pick the students up at the end of the day. The May also provides extensive training for the staff, including behavioral safety, CPR, first aid, OSHA, HIPAA, and medication administration.
Pros
a lot of vacation/sick time, doing a lot of fun activities with the students, helping the students progress.
Cons
stressful due to behavioral incidents and holds.
Worse Company
Assistant Program Coordinator/Program Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Randolph, MAOctober 27, 2017
This was the worse company to ever work for and I worked for Wal-Mart. The management and company in hole are just jerks and don't care about the employee. The pay sucks for the amount of work you are required to do. I rather be jobless and homeless than to ever work for this company again in my life.
Pros
paid leave
Cons
pay sucks
Its a very challenging workplace, with lots of activities adults with brain injuries.
Program Specialist (Current Employee) –  Revere, MAOctober 23, 2017
Writing daily reports, giving medications, transporting clients to their residents. Teaching them how to be independent with their daily life activities. Organizing classroom arts & craft for Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas & Easter.
Good Entry Level Position
Program Specialist (Current Employee) –  Gloucester, MAOctober 6, 2017
This job was a great start into the social work field for me. Lots of opportunity for overtime. Nice co-workers. Not too stressful. A good place to begin a career.
Pros
Opportunity for overtime
Cons
Pay is inadequate
Stressful
Program Director (Former Employee) –  Hyannis, MASeptember 21, 2017
There wasn't a "typical" day as the turnover of clients was often daily. I did however, learn the importance of having supportive managers and a consistent staff. The culture of the work place was not conducive to teamwork. Due to the unsupportive nature of management, this job became increasingly frustrating as it was very difficult to work with the clients for their betterment and treatment.
Pros
working with clients
Cons
Unstable schedule, lack of support
Great Place to Work!
Program Specialist (Part-time) (Current Employee) –  Revere, MASeptember 20, 2017
The management staff are caring and the managers are always watching over you when you are on your shift.
It is a rewarding career even though the wage is not so great.
You get to love the work that you do and you dont complain about it
Fast Paced constantly changing environment
Program Specialist (Current Employee) –  Raynham, MASeptember 5, 2017
May is a nonprofit organization for adults/ children with specific and special needs. It is very fast paced and unpredictable work place. It is a rewarding but stressful job.
very much enjoyed working there
Program Assistant (Former Employee) –  Mashpee, MAAugust 11, 2017
inputting data about clients , assistance with clients arriving and leaving, safety for all clients, first aid and CPR training, open communication with nurses counselors and directors
Pros
diverse group of clients and staff
Cons
not being able to go off campus during woring hurs for lunch
great place to work
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Brockton, MAAugust 9, 2017
May Institute is a great place to work with the staff and students making it worth it. Great place to advance as well and with the flexibility still be able to go to school.
Great place to work with a great group of people
SPECIAL EDUCATION ASSISTANT TEACHER (Former Employee) –  Brockton, MAAugust 3, 2017
A typical day is where nothing is the same, behaviors are different from day to day and as long as you have a good backbone, you work well with your co-workers to help students be the best they can be!
Fun workplace
Direct Therapist (Current Employee) –  Randolph, MAJune 30, 2017
every da you learn something new and everyone is always willing to help. there are many joys that come with helping the children that you serve. there are not one hard day saying this job is worth it
Great learning enviroment. Great co workers
Senior Program Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Randolph, MAJune 24, 2017
I enjoy working with trouble individuals and helping them rehabilitate themselfs. Its very rewarding for me. I have a lot of patience when clients go into crisis and have the proper skills to maintain safety of mine and others.
Pros
Able to earn vacation very easy. Lots of great benifits such as insurance and evaluation system
Cons
Very stressful working enviroment. Dangerous cleints
Caring and upbeat work environment
Program Specialist (Current Employee) –  MassachusettsJune 12, 2017
I've worked here for two years and have nothing but good things to say. I love the guys I care for in the house, and appreciate every one of my coworkers. My superiors have been nothing but supportive and understanding in my experience.
Great learning regarding Autistic population.
Assistant Program Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Randolph, MAApril 5, 2017
The day was working in a group home setting. A lot of the job was administrative work, which I love. The part of the job that I found difficult was restraining the clients.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Restraining clients
Not the best place to work
Behavior Specialist (Current Employee) –  Orange Park, FLMarch 18, 2017
I've been here for 3 years now. It's easy money but it's very boring. The shifts are horrible and the people are even worse. Management is a joke. This whole job is a joke. The only reason I'm still here is because I'm going to school.
Pros
Free food.
Cons
Everything else.
ok
West Springfield, Ma Program Specialist (Former Employee) –  West Springfield, MAFebruary 23, 2017
overnight is the best shift to work. The one and only coworker I got to work with was cool. low stress no wifi internet access. Mngmt makes sure the paper work is good.
Pros
always chance for ot
Cons
low hr rate of pay
its a living experience
Assistant Program Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Orange Park, FLFebruary 20, 2017
Under paid for one. Your opinion really don't matter, please keep to yourself, but just be cordial when it comes to your work. Be mindful that its just your job. Trust no one. Certain Houses are drama out, to many women working in the house. This job is good if your in school.
Pros
it can be good, depend on who's working
Cons
trust no one

Ask a question about working or interviewing at MAY INSTITUTE. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8