MAY INSTITUTE

MAY INSTITUTE Employee Reviews

Great experience for people interested in working with children with disabilities
Intern (Former Employee), West Springfield, MAMay 10, 2015
I suggest this facility to anybody interested in gaining knowledge and experience in working with children with disabilities.
Best company I've ever worked for, hands down.. Excellent, dedicated coworkers and management
Program Specialist (Former Employee), Attleboro, MAApril 24, 2015
Pros: Excellent training, input and work is valued, solid management, great coworkers
Cons: Occasionally, there is a disconnect between upper management and certain others. This is not a widespread issue.
When employed with May Institute, I saw some pretty encouraging transformations with the men we worked with. As our training was solid, communication and input was valued from management and our clinician, we became a tight, effective unit that elevated the quality of life of the men in the residence. It was a great experience. While filling in, on occasion, at the Day Program in Raynham, MA, I also found it to be very well-managed and filled with a lot of kind and dedicated people who knew their stuff. Some good things to consider, is a fair starting rate of pay based on experience, yearly raises, plenty of overtime and vacation time, opportunities for advancement and relocation, as well, being that May Institute has facilties all over the country. I had a great experience with this company.
May Institute is a company that creates an unhealthy working environment
Non Profit Staff Member (Former Employee), SoutheastMarch 23, 2015
Pros: working with military families
Cons: unhealthy office culture, poor management, lack of benefits and job security
I worked for May for over 3 years. During my time there, I consistently tried to remain positive about the future of my position as well as the future of the company. However, when I left, I was completely disappointed with my tenure there, and felt both mistreated and undervalued as an employee.

There were many changes in the Corporate structure (turn-over, responsibility changes, and vital positions that went unfilled) and the turn-over rate in our branch was astronomical. We lost a total of 20-25 employees during the time I worked there, with an average staff of 10-15 people total at any given time. I have had over 10 years experience working with non-profit organizations, and this one was by far the worst. The professionalism and job fulfillment I experienced before and after my time at May are no comparison. A few important items to note for someone looking to work there:

1. Professionalism - May Institute has a corporate office based in Massachusetts and many branches in military communities around the country. Corporate staff are not trained on how to communicate efficiently and professionally (or even politely) with branch staff. This creates an extremely volatile and unprofessional working environment, where branch staff are treated like "step children" and it takes an exorbitant amount of effort to get things done or requests fulfilled. In addition, Corporate structure is in constant flux. There is usually no organized "chain of command" because of the constant changes that are being passed down by the board, CEO, and the COO.

2. Benefits - May Institute touts a – more... competitive benefits package, however, they do not pay their therapists or office staff even the average of people that do those jobs around the country. In addition, the insurance they offer is BCBS of Massachusetts, so wherever you are working outside of that area, the coverage will be out of state, and will be very minimal for normal needs (deductible is extremely high and the coverage is very small). In addition, the ABA therapy that May is providing to families is not even covered by the insurance that it provides its staff. I find this both ironic and extremely sad.

3. Working environment - To say that May Institute supports and encourages a "high school" type working culture would be an understatement. Within the branches, the median staff age would be around 27. The company and its managers have consistently promoted staff members into higher positions that they did not have the training, skills, or maturity to be in. This, combined with may other supervision oversights, creates an extremely immature, catty, and often times abusive office culture.

There are many other items that I would include to dissuade someone from working at May Institute (including lack of job security and favoritism) but I think that is enough for this review! – less
Great Individuals - poor management/supervisors/equality
Program Specialist/ Direct Care (Former Employee), revereMarch 15, 2015
Pros: great individuals
Cons: everythingelse
would be an awesome place to work but very poor management. they do NOT care for the individuals and do not care to listen to direct care staff who work with individuals almost every day. I work 5 days a week and I get tantalized if I do not bring 5 individuals (4 in wheel chair ) with a ratio of only 2 staff out on a snowy slippery no good conditioned day. not enough pay for job you are required to do. LOVE individuals DESPISE management. CEO obviously does not care.
Standard non-profit environment
QI Support Coordinator (Current Employee), Randolph, MAMarch 11, 2015
Consistent with other non-profit companies. Poor pay and limited opportunity for growth in the corporate setting. The corporate office has a number of arbitrary policies, but if you have a good supervisor, the job can be more enjoyable.
Great working environment, Happy Guardians and Great Clients to serve!
Assistant Program Coordinator (Current Employee), Braintree, MAMarch 3, 2015
There's nothing I dislike about my previous and or current job! I look forward to caring for the clients that we do serve here at the May Institute. The Guardians are overall pleased. As long as I can continue to put a smile on the faces of these people I served, makes my job worth waking up for and going above and beyond daily. I work in a well-suitable working atmosphere where all my fellow co workers are unselfish. They worked as much as I do to provide a happy, steady, safe and beautiful surroundings for our clients. I have been at The May Institute, Inc. for five years and theres nothing I will change about my experience here. The staff, CEO and management have worked even harder to make us the employee happy and most importantly the clients happier.
Learning and Fast-Pace work enviroment
Human Service Specialist III (Former Employee), West Springfield, MAJanuary 11, 2015
Pros: trainings
Cons: no breaks, & pay
A typical day start as follow, plan the shift with supervisor then choose a client with its required chores what include the following;
Nutrition, Hygiene, medications, outings, transportation, money budget, recreation activities, & Cleaning chores. After all, the learning period in this company is constantly at a fast paced which I learned time management, deal with stressful situations, proper behavior assessment and interventions, advocate human rights. For me the most enjoyable part of the job was when clients met their daily goals in which they felt proud of themselves. The hardest part of the job was the responsibilities was higher than the pay.
Great Experience
Direct Care (Former Employee), Randolph ,MassachusettsDecember 20, 2014
It was my pleasure working at the May Institute, and I would love to go back if possible. The students, and staff are very amazing.
Horrible place
Asst. teacher (Former Employee), Woburn, MaAugust 27, 2014
Pros: coworkers
Cons: administration, non-supportive, horrible pay, everything
This has been on of the worst companies that I have ever worked for (especially this location.) The 'administration" was non-supportive, mean, acted like teenage girls (literally sit in the office and talk about everyone.) The individual running the school (no names-JH) was one of the most ignorant, non-supportive and childish bosses that I have ever had.
The only positive thing was working with the children but since it was a hard job- not getting support made it that much harder.
This company has such a good reputation yet it puts their coworkers in harm and fear everyday.
Active engagement with students diagnosed with ASD
Counselor (Former Employee), Randolph, MAJuly 18, 2014
Cons: no consistency, incorrect implementation of policies
A typical day includes preparing materials for the day including data sheets, protective equipment, and educational materials; updating behavioral and academic data, inputting incident reports into system. I learned how to group manage students as well as how to work one on one with particular students. Direct co-workers were friendly and helpful to work with as a team. The hardest part of this job was not having enough time to complete the duties in job description or getting a designated break time. The most enjoyable part of the job was being able to see individual progress and establishing a relationship with the student.
Fun because of coworkers
Assistant Teacher (Former Employee), Randolph, MAJune 19, 2014
The May Institute was a great place to learn about ABA and has many fun young people working there. The upper (and sometimes mid-level) management do not seem to remember what it was like to be a lower level employee. Staff are paid poorly (with few if any raises, I was there for 2 years and did not see one raise). Some mid-level management look for scapegoats in the lower level staff when things go wrong. Some management are good, but it's the luck of the draw who will be your supervisor. Promotions tend to be based on cliques and popularity.
Students are wonderful!
It is productive and nice place of work
Teacher Assistance & Direct Care ll (Current Employee), Randolph, MAMay 17, 2014
It comes with many challenges. some days are good and some are bad because you are working with individuals with disabilities.
direct care
Program Specialist (Current Employee), Revere MAMay 11, 2014
My typical work day involves assisting individuals with their daily routine. Cooking, cleaning, laundry and other activities.
Good company
Assistant Manager (Current Employee), Revere, MAMarch 22, 2014
Pros: good management
Cons: no raise
Good company to work for, management are pretty nice but not all
Huge company with little training and supervision, yet harsh policies
Behavior Analyst (Former Employee), MANovember 22, 2013
Pros: the clients and their families are great, you can (to some extent) create your own schedule and it is fairly flexible
Cons: excessive driving with little milage reimbursement, no raises, lack of training, lack of supervision, no office, can't bill for treatment planning, you must buy or create all materials on your own with no reimbursement, many strict rules (yet with the lack of training/supervision you are bound to break one), lack of contact with other professionals
This is THE worst company that I have ever worked for. You basically drive from house to house (average drive was 2.5 hours per day) and they reimburse 41 cents after your first and last 27 miles (so 54 miles are on you). I had a supervisor who was in the process of leaving for 2 months. For the rest of the year, I had a supervisor who was in an office 5 hours away who I never met and rarely spoke with. She did inform us after an audit that our branch was not adequately trained, but never arranged any training. We are supposed to have a 5-6 client caseload....at first they only gave me 2 clients, then when the supervisor and coworker quit, they gave their clients to total 10 clients (my 'supervisor' was under the impression that I was on salary until a few days before I left. I had previously asked to be on salary, but she put that aside and never got back to me about it). There was no office (office was promised for over a year, and they still have no office). All work was expected to be done from home using a PERSONAL printer/copier/scanner/fax (all were necessary to have for the job)...LOTS of paperwork that could not be billed for. I had to either buy or make supplies without the company's help. I had 10 kids to myself and there was never another professional around to get a second opinion on the cases, as I was the only one who had ever actually met the children and their families. The billing department made numerous mistakes, causing clients to be put on hold many times. This company is way too big. I worked under people I had never met. I feel like all they cared about is how much I billed for the company and they had little concern about the wellbeing of the clients and families. I got punished numerous times for breaking 'rules' that I had never been told about and were not mentioned in employee handbooks. They do not provide raises unless you are promoted to another position, and even then the raise is minimal.
I could go on and on, but I'll stop here.
working with Mental illness Adults
Behavioral Assistant (Current Employee), Orange Park, FLNovember 16, 2013
Pros: earning leave time, better than vacation time. because i can take off more than once a year.
Cons: not being able to take a break!
Assist Mental Challenge Individual daily living skills, work ethics skills and how to communicated with other out in the community. I work closely with my co-workers to make sure each Individuals are accountable for all the time..
Rewarding
Direct therapist (Current Employee), west springfield maNovember 7, 2013
Pros: meeting amazing children, wokring by yourself most of the time
Cons: lots of driving, some houses or apartments can be very unclean, some neighborhoods are dangerous
I travel from house to house meeting new families and their children. I typically do a two hour session with the child with autism. The management is very supporting and always their for you when new challenges arise and always have your best interest. The hardest part of my job is saying goodbye to children that I have been seeing for a very long time. You start to become part of their family. The most enjoyable part is after you have been working on a skill with a child that might come so easy to others and they finally grasp the concept of the skill is just overwhelmingly amazing.
great place to work,able to get out with the clients and do things in the community
Project Specialist (Current Employee), Yarmouth Port, MAOctober 10, 2013
Pros: a great learning experience
Cons: i think the worst part is being injured by a client, being bitten, etc.
A day in the group home begins with attending to the clients' daily routines,giving morning medications, getting breakfasts ready,tidying up their rooms.Then we take those people who go to programs to their destinations.We then go back to the group home and finish doing their laundry, and clean up the house,in order to get the house ready for the next shift.We typically make the lunches and get things ready for the next day so the following shift can concentrate on bringing clients home,getting a snack and settling down.Our manager is absolutely wonderful, and he makes the job easier by bringing in fun things for the clients to do.My co-workers are the best, and everyone works together to help the clients achieve their goals.I think the hardest part of the job is well-meaning guardians who will call, for example, wishing to speak with their son or daughter, and panic when no-one answers the phone because we are all on an outing.The best part of the job is being able to help these clients improve their quality of life.
was a friendly home where staff gets to watch television with clients
Job Coach/ Direct Care (Former Employee), South Windsor, CTSeptember 9, 2013
Pros: they pay for our meals when you dine out with clients
Cons: no raised when desire
I would go in and get my client take her to and from her job site,take her to gym and library.
On a daily basis I learned how to be patient and loyal to my clients and co workers
Management was poor and unprofessional.
Some co workers was lazy and their hearts was not in the job just the pay.
The hardest part of my job is doing your work and other coworkers because of thier laziness and uncleansiness.
The most enjoyable part of the job was just seeing my clients and taking care of them with love and compassion,and seeing a smile on their faces.
productive and laid back
PROGRAM SPECIALIST (Former Employee), revere,maAugust 25, 2013
Pros: free dinner, lunch, free trips
A typical day is pretty laid back once all tasks are completed

About MAY INSTITUTE

May Institute is an award-winning nonprofit organization that provides educational, rehabilitative, and behavioral healthcare – Read more

MAY INSTITUTE Salaries