MAY INSTITUTE Employee Reviews

its a living experience
Assistant Program Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Orange Park, FLFebruary 20, 2017
Under paid for one. Your opinion really don't matter, please keep to yourself, but just be cordial when it comes to your work. Be mindful that its just your job. Trust no one. Certain Houses are drama out, to many women working in the house. This job is good if your in school.
Pros
it can be good, depend on who's working
Cons
trust no one
Not a nice place to work
Direct Care Worker (Former Employee) –  Cotuit, MAFebruary 11, 2017
This is the worst company to work with. They use their workers and be very ungrateful in the end to them, they are not loyal. The managers in the houses tend to care about senior staff more. They give you bad face if you log info in the log book that they tell you to log in training. However when you make those logs they try to get rid of you.
Benefits
Cons
Work against each other
You are actually making a difference
Teacher Assistant (Current Employee) –  Randolph, MAFebruary 1, 2017
The job is very difficult. Working with students with very challenging behaviors with very little reward or acknowledgement. I have been working here for almost a year. What keeps me there are the people I am working with and the kids I am working for.
Pros
clients, great experience, coworkers
Cons
recognition, compensation, likelihood of getting hurt
Make sure you want to work here...
Assistant Teacher (Former Employee) –  Randolph, MAJanuary 31, 2017
This is a place that has a noble purpose but you have to make ONE HUNDRED PERCENT sure that you want to purse the job. The people you work with are great for the most part, and the kids are great. But keep this in mind, the JOB IS STRESSFUL. So keep this is mind if you want to work there. There are no weekend hours unless you want them.
Pros
Decent work hours
Cons
Stressful situations alot of the time.
Interesting Job
Staff Person (Former Employee) –  Hyannis, MAJanuary 23, 2017
I got this job after graduating from College. It was somewhat fun but my interest in helping people with mental disorders,substance abuse, suicidal thoughts, and other "problems" really grew. I had to make sure that I did not get involved in their personal situations. Part of my job was counseling and I soon learned to separate my feelings and just be a listener for them. After that experience, I loved the job.
Pros
Intense Learning
Cons
Hours
I enjoyed working for this company but see a lot of room for improvement
Assistant Teacher of Special Education (Former Employee) –  Randolph, MAJanuary 18, 2017
The students changed my life and the classroom staff was amazing. Pay was not appropriate for the level of work expected
Often staff shortages that were frustrating
Pros
student population
Cons
physically and emotionally taxing
your work is always unappreciated
Program Specialist (Current Employee) –  MassachusettsJanuary 7, 2017
The May Institute taught me a lot, challanged me in many ways and it was always rewarding to work there simply because I was a part of changing someone's life for the better by working with the individuals they service. Unfortunately, you are never appreciated at the May Institute. The only time I was told thank you or received any praise was if I said I would stay and wotk overtime so management didn't have to. Never received a raise. Always had to be on top of making sure I was paid correctly, which I hardly ever was! I felt like I should be getting paid to do payroll myself with all of the problems I would uncover in my paychecks each week. Had to beg for time off if I needed a day off and if I got it off I was never paid for it, even though I should have been. I got tired of chasing after my money. I think this company just doesn't like to pay their employees. It's unfortunate because no one stays working there for very long and then the individuals suffer.
Pros
working with the individuals
Cons
never getting paid correctly, not appreciated for your hard work
Wouldn't want to Stay working here long.
Program Specialist (Current Employee) –  Westfield, MADecember 1, 2016
A lot of important house maintenance goes undone. Patients are allowed to sit on broken furniture for months. Patients are allowed to not have even broken bulbs replaced for months, so yes at 4pm during the winter there is no light in their bedroom. Coworkers and supervisors will lay on the couch and talk on the phone the whole time. Some supervisors will watch TV and have a lower paid worker do the job of at least 2 and don't dare to offer help. Some supervisors will expect the lower paid worker to spend their own money on paying for food for patients on outings. They also need more workers and more recreational activities set in place for the patients. They will offer to pay for a bit of schooling if your working 60 hours for them and do not have any other responsibilities besides the job. There are no pay raises after your map certified.
Terrible company!
Assistant Program Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Orange Park, FLNovember 17, 2016
Racist admin! They don't care about you. Tremendous work load for little money! Administration gossips and isn't professional.
Pros
Clients
Great
Assistant Teacher (Former Employee) –  Randolph, MAOctober 30, 2016
Very great pace to work. Staff are very nice, and friendly. Work is challenging yet fair. I enjoyed working here. Everyone is nice, everyone is great.
horrible place to work for. They don't care about any workers
Patient Care Technician (Former Employee) –  Mills, WYOctober 29, 2016
This company only cares about how much money is going into their pockets. They don'tn care about your safety or your worth.
They will have you work with clients that can harm you, they don't get you help when you need it. They don't care if you are alone when clients start hitting you . This is the worst company i have ever worked for in my 45 years,
Horrible company to work for
Teacher Assistant (Former Employee) –  Woburn, MAOctober 17, 2016
I worked there for about a month and they are very unorganized. The managment is horrible. I was terminated after a month and they couldnt give me a vaid answer why u was being let go.
They choose who they want to be there. There is so much drama in the company.
We never get lunch breaks, we had to sign a wavier stating that you dont want to take a lunch break even though you are working 8 hrs a day. You ask questions and it seems like a not a good thing to do because if tou ask to many questions, they let you go with out notice.
I never got a review of how u was doing by anyone in the company. I was let go 6 days before i came back from vacation. They handed my the termination letter the day i came back from vacation but everyone knew before i did.
I am very disappointed with this company and how management handled letting me go. They wouldnt give me a straight answer when i was asked to leave.
Cons
Management, drama, rude people to work for
Avoid like the plague!
Residential Counselor (Former Employee) –  Brockton, MAOctober 8, 2016
The staff are helpful whenever it's convenient for them, but you're not really trained and management is not helpful at all. They pick and choose who to help and leave others to dry. Drama fuels everything around this place and it feels like high school quickly.
Pros
Working with the kids, outings, learning about TBI
Cons
Management, drama, low pay, constant threat of harm
Great Stepping Stone for experience
Program Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Mashpee, MASeptember 21, 2016
In my 2+ years with The May i have learned and experienced a lot in such a short amount of time.
A typical day is mostly direct care, and some clerical work.
Overall Management has been improving over time.
There was a high rate of staff turnover but overall working with people is usually a positive experience.
Hardest part of the job would be medical emergencies and seeing clients sick.
The most enjoyable part of the job would be seeing the individuals personalities show, going out in the community, seeing them genuinely happy doing things they enjoy.
Pros
Healthcare, Time off
Cons
High turnover rate of staffing while not regular the inconsistency makes working difficult
Cutting edge in treatment for children and adults with disabilities
Program Specialist (Former Employee) –  Mashpee, MA 02649September 9, 2016
Awesome work expirience for those who seek to make a difference in someones life, very political work environment. If you ruffle the wrong feather's you can forget about it....
Pros
flexible spending account
Cons
under appreciated
Great job and i wish i can go back
Job Coach (Former Employee) –  Manchester, CTAugust 24, 2016
I recommend that any person that's open to this field try it out and I wish I can go back I've learned many different things and I met a lot of awesome people in this field
Pros
Great benifits
Cons
Sometimes It can be stressful and tiring but its worth it
Austism
Assistant Program Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Orange Park, FLAugust 15, 2016
Loved the people and the children I got to work with. Sometimes there was drama with the staff however, it was usually resolved.
Excellent direct care services for patients and clients
Direct Care House Manager (Former Employee) –  1111 Elm StreetAugust 3, 2016
Excellent clinical team
Excellent compensation and Benefits
Excellent Job security/Advanceme
Excellent Management
Excellent Job work/life balance
Excellent IP Goals and planning for individual clients
Pros
Excellent health coverage
Cons
poor budget planning
Inviting staff and workplace
Residential Counselor (Former Employee) –  Raynham, MAJuly 31, 2016
Working with the individuals was a very humbling experience and the residential staff worked together as a team. Overall it was a great learning experience.
Pros
opportunities to advance within the company
Cons
there was a lot of favorotism
Very challenging work environment.Great opportunity for personal growth!!!
Teacher's Assistant (Current Employee) –  Woburn, MAApril 24, 2016
A typical work day as a Teacher's Assistant at the May Institute begins with graphing students' behavior and academic data and preparing for the students arrival. Most of the work day is spent in a 2 to 1 student to teacher ratio, implementing each students behavior and educational plans and collecting data. After the students are dismissed there is an hour left in which graphing data and training's are completed.
The most enjoyable part of the job is having a significant role in the educational lives of the students we serve and working along side dedicated, hard working and supportive staff and administrators.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at MAY INSTITUTE. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9