MAY TRUCKING Employee Reviews

good place to get my wheels back again low pay
Brook Lake Road, OTR Commercial Truck Driver (Current Employee) –  salem orNovember 23, 2016
good work coundition good support otr nice trucks new models work drive delievery of freight 48 states up keep mant of truck safty enspection day and night
Pros
good suport
Cons
never gat home
Unorganized
Professional Truck Driver (Current Employee) –  Brooks, ORNovember 22, 2016
I would recommend starting somewhere else if your starting out and I would recommend to not stay here longer than 2 years
Pros
Sense of freedom
Cons
Changes loads on me and not enough miles
summary
OTR Driver (Former Employee) –  Salem, ORNovember 16, 2016
so so training,, it all depends on who your trainier is
trucks are governed so your pay is limited
Forced dispatch
dispatcher are Rude and don't care about the drivers
Long waits between loads,, without pay
Pros
training
Cons
everything else
Amazing DMs...
Driver (Former Employee) –  Denver, CONovember 2, 2016
May Trucking Company is definitely a "starter" or "beginner" company, in that, their cents-per-mile isn't as great as other companies. However, this is not a bad thing if you are considering entering the OTR Trucker field of employment with no experience. They have incredible Driver Mangers who all have some form of life experience working in the OTR industry, as well as a unique policy called Flat Rate Pay. Under this form of payment, the driver is given $105 a day as long as they are moving freight, then every 90 days, you are given a compensation for any miles you have driven over 10,000 in a lump sum, assuming you drove over 10,000 miles. This compensation comes at the standard cents-per-mile May provides. The most outstanding feature I found while working for the company was the fact that their DMs really did understand what it was like out on the road. Some companies will hire any one to be a DM, regardless of their life experience with OTR, but because May only employs DMs who have driven before, or lived around drivers, it makes life so much easier when you're out on the road.
Pros
Great DMs, Flat Rate Pay, lots of locations to drop freight, no need for extra endorsments
Cons
Compensation not as good as other companies
Gives you the chance to succeed
Owner/Operator (Former Employee) –  Payette, IDOctober 19, 2016
It has been a long time since I worked for May. But they were very good to me. My son and I drove team for 9 years after my husband could no longer drive because of health issues, we drove for May 3 years and I quit after my husband passed away and my son got very sick and could no longer drive. I started out like everyone else with less then perfect pay even tho I had many years of driving experience.but after awhile I bought a truck thru may. We ran hard made money and I have to say thank you for the best years. Running out of Payette was a plus but going into Salem was a get in and out of there. My hats go off to all of you that now drive truck. It's a hard life but you can make it what you want to. There is money to be made especially for a woman. Be safe
Pros
Good equip
Cons
Differences on dispatch. Some get the better loads
Good Company for OTR
Company (Current Employee) –  Brooks, ORSeptember 26, 2016
Decent Company to drive for but Looking to transition from OTR to local or regional driving job. Driver Manager was a driver so he completely understands day to day activities
great driver managers.
Company Driver (Former Employee) –  Payette, IDSeptember 12, 2016
Pay is not the best and you will sit some weekends waiting on freight. but home time is great 401k and benefits. I worked for them 3 years. If your looking for a great start in the industry give them a call.
Pros
Home time is good. 401k and benefit package.
Cons
you will sit for periods of time waiting on freight.
Absolutely Wonderful workplace
Driver (Former Employee) –  Denver, COJuly 13, 2016
Fun job being over the road and safely delivering products to various places. Great job if you want to see the country. The hardest part of the job is being apart from family for extended amounts of time.
Too many politics
Company Driver (Current Employee) –  Denver, COMay 25, 2016
They ask a lot of the drivers without pay, tend to micro manage. Very poorly managed. No where near enough home time. Horrible terminals.
Good Company
Driver (Current Employee) –  Salem, ORApril 5, 2016
Great Company to learn the trade. As with any employer there is room for improvement. Especially when it comes to communication between driver and company expectations.
company driver
driver (Current Employee) –  Salem, ORJanuary 18, 2016
Company driver of freightliner with thirteen speed manual transmission. Have class A license with all endorsements. Ensure cargo is properly loaded, secured and delivered on-time. Drive routes across continental United States.
Starter company run by mediocre nitwits. Get in, stay 12 months and get out.
DRIVER (Current Employee) –  Salem, ORJune 2, 2015
After trucking school you have to work somewhere to get experience. May Trucking is the best of all of the bad choices, but view it as a stepping stone to a real job.

Working for May is an effective way to get the necessary experience; it's an apprenticeship that also provides some walk-around money.

THE GOOD: the equipment is very good, with the exception of their old 5000-series dry trailers. (Those are beginning to get replaced with new Hyundais) You will be driving a nearly new tractor.

They are very patient with newbie mistakes. That's good, because you WILL run into stuff and make costly errors. They won't ever fire you unless you lie, cheat or steal.

Their money is good; they're not going out of business anytime soon.
They are very good about getting you home on time.

THE BAD: The Ops staff treat Drivers like children. They can be rude, especially when you dare ask a simple question.

The May Planners couldn't plan a bowel movement if they tried.
Be prepared to sit and sit and then get a preplan that is hours old that you will be late delivering. It's always the Driver's fault.

There are some real nitwits in the Safety Department. You will encounter them. They are very annoying.

BOTTOM LINE: You can do a lot worse (C.R. England, Swift, Western Express) but you are only staying there for a year; no more and no less.
Pros
Newish tractors
Cons
Idiots in the Brooks Safety and Compliance Department
Nice company
Driver (Former Employee) –  Salem, ORMay 2, 2015
I enjoyed my time with May trucking. Sometimes my at home time was far and few between because of long trips. Also I believe they should pay their more experienced drivers more per mile. Otherwise I enjoyed my time there.
good ompany
Truck Driver (OTR) (Former Employee) –  Salem, ORMarch 22, 2015
the company is a good over the road job with u are a truck driver there dispatcher are good and they will get u home when u need to and they got good trucks and trailer
n/a
Over the Road Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Salem, ORMarch 18, 2015
I delivered products half way across the US. Communication was done by way of QUALCOMM system. interaction at hubs was minimal.
O.T.R.
Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Pensacola, FLFebruary 25, 2015
I truly enjoyed being a truck driver driving across counrty back and forward. I love driving big rigs all over. But not in snow just during the summer times.
serious and dedicated
TRUCK DRIVER (Former Employee) –  Payette, IDApril 9, 2014
I never sat when empty, if needed they would dead head me to another load as long as the money made sense.
Beautiful office view
Lease Operator (Former Employee) –  Salem, ORFebruary 26, 2014
Pre trip inspections of Class A truck and semi trailer.
Pick and Deliver loads up to 46,000 lbs.
Obey all DOT requirements
Utilize Electronic logs
48 states
Safety first in all situations.
Pros
See The country
Cons
substandard pay for the hours worked
Great Place to drive for...
Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Payette, ID.February 21, 2014
Driving a semi truck and trailer with goods across country, for 3 days at a time and finding the place of delivery was a great challenge I really enjoyed. Seeing all the 48 different states, and driving in often very severe weather was a WELCOMED Challenge. Management was very understanding of my needs and very supportive. But when when my marriage fell apart in a bad way, I could not juggle driving and the issues at hand. If I could have cleaned that mess up in hurry I would still be here. I really enjoyed this company.
Pros
Good communications
Cons
Felt like pay was low for the job I did.
Unprofessional management
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Brooks, ORJanuary 8, 2014
Work was very busy. I learned a lot about communication with customers. I was not impressed with the management, because the main supervisor and my manager were having an affair. My co-worker talked behind my bad to my manager and everything was very unprofessional. Hardest part was learning my job, as the training was limited. I enjoyed the customers and meeting them in person.
Pros
customers
Cons
management unprofessional

2.9