May Employee Reviews

Very professional atmosphere and always incentives to earn extra money and prizes.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Cheektowaga, NYAugust 20, 2016
Working at Lord & Taylor (May Company) was exciting for the most part because there was always something interesting to look forward to such as meeting new customers, learning something new about the customers, learning about different store promotions and what coupons would actually work on what items, and other incentives for employees. The employee incentives were one of my favorite because the company always looked forward to give away money if you met a certain quota for the number of charge cards you open within a month. It seemed really natural for me to getting customers aware of the benefits and to open up charge cards. Which in return allowed me to win items and store credit.
Pros
Cash prizes.
Cons
short breaks
Was one of the best department stores in this area.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  North Olmsted, OHMarch 26, 2016
One of the best places to work at. Most of the coworkers were pleasant and dedicated and the customers were very kind. High standards for employees were met because of the quality of the store.
The May Company was a fashonable and practicle store, with the uttmost of professionalism.
Sales Associate for handbags & accessories (Former Employee) –  El Cajon, CAJanuary 28, 2016
The May Company strived in customer service and was always trying new ways to improve it. The department managers were excellent in training associates on the registers, stocking items, and recovery of merchandise.
Pros
There were many different departments
Cons
employees were allowed to smoke at the front entrance during their breaks
Great retail environment
Senior Executive Loss Prevention Manager (Former Employee) –  ColoradoOctober 24, 2015
Fun face paced environment with employee satisfaction a high priority. A company that strives for great products at a reasonable price.
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Vicksburg, MSMay 22, 2015
Treated employees great! Was a temp at this company during tax season.
Very busy, and fun. Nice partners who treated all employees good. The building need a little bit of cleaning
Too many bosses
IT Manager (Former Employee) –  Vicksburg, MSMarch 30, 2015
Support inside employees and outside clients.

Learned how to install and OS, Active Directory, Exchange, Citrix, building computers.

At first there were 9 partners and all of them thought their projects should be completed first. The rest of the accountants also thought that their problems should take priority.

For the most part I enjoyed my co-workers and still remain close friends with several of them.

Tax season and the number of hours I was required to work.
Pros
Decent benefits
Cons
Long hours required
May Company
MANAGER (Former Employee) –  HoustonNovember 10, 2014
Great company for growth and job opportunities great company with a open door policies and training available in many programs and departments
Work place was clean, associates helped each other, supervisors were very nice to employees and no one was put down for a mistake, we tried our best a
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJune 16, 2014
A typical day at work required cleaning your department and making sure the floors were cleaned with no trash or debris as to hurt the customers. Setting new merchandise out and creating a display to catch the customers eye.
Pros
WE HAD FREE LUNCHES ONCE A MONTH, WE COULD WEAR JEANS EVERY FRIDAY, IF WE HAD A PROBLEM MANAGEMENT WANTED TO HELP, .
Cons
WE WERE GIVEN OUR BREAKS IN A TIMELY FASHION DEPENDING ON HOW LONG WE WERE WORKING.
Transport to day hab and back to the clients home
Residential Counselor (Former Employee) –  Raynham, MAMay 10, 2014
A typical day at the May 1st shift.Staff will help with activity of daily living. After adls staff will pass out meds to the clients we took care of. When meds were all done we will drive to day hab
Pros
Transport
Cons
Low Ratio
As a first job it was an excellent learning experience.
Customer Assistant (Former Employee) –  St. Louis,MOMarch 19, 2014
A typical day would consist of answering customer calls and transferring their calls.
Pros
Awards were given for hard work.
Best company in the world to work for!
HUMAN RESOURCES MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Glendale, AZNovember 29, 2013
May Co was bought out by Macy's and HR was centralized. I resigned so that I would not be severanced and unable to work for Macy's forever.
Pros
May Co. was wonderful
Cons
Macy's bought out May Co in 2006
Call Center
Customer Service/Collector (Former Employee) –  North HollywoodAugust 16, 2013
Great incentive plans. 30 day soft collections. Each month given a computer generated file of a specific billing date and outbound called to collect funds.
Stylish workplace..fashion trends serving patrons
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Regency WayJanuary 29, 2013
Started as a seasonal employer and ended full- time and delightful.
Pros
fun
Cons
too much patronage
This was a very difficult place to work.
Legal Assistant (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNJanuary 23, 2013
All three attorneys expected to have their work finalized first - ahead of everyone else. This was a salary job and some days were as long as 12 hours. There was no overtime. There was no office manager and only one co-worker.
Pros
we were given free llunches as long as we stayed in the office and continued to respond to demands.
Cons
no breaks, 30 min. lunch, long hours.
Good company to work for.
Collection and Customer Service Rep (Former Employee) –  North Hollywood, CADecember 18, 2012
Fair compensation, good benefits. Good management, excellent co workers, nothing was to difficult about the job, mostly collections just had to make customers understand the importance of good credit.
Pros
good health care, good salary
Cons
downsizing due to closing of stores.
A great learning experience
CIC/Lead (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOOctober 30, 2012
the May company was great I learned to manage an irate customer in a timely fashion
Challenging and exciting position in upwardly mobile retail department store
Assistant Buyer (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOOctober 18, 2012
During my tenure at May I was introduced to many facets of marketing and retailing. They were all exciting and rewarding as well as preparing me for other positions in the future. I especially liked the travel and buying of each season's offerings. The most challenging portion would be the maintaining of the gross margin while marking down the slow sellers and clearing out the past season items while preparing for the new season shipments. Each phase of a retail organization has it's own challenges but those challenges also brings their own rewards when successfully conquered.
Pros
was introduced to many facets of marketing and retailing such as, buying, advertising, mark downs, call backs, vendor relations and more.
Cons
never sure how long day would last...but that is true for all salary positions.
Good atmosphere
Account Representative (Former Employee) –  Bridgeton, MOSeptember 12, 2012
Enjoyed making customers happy
When they understand their payments. Great hours
Make time useful in the
Training I received.
Company as a whole
Collection Representative (Former Employee) –  Bridgeton, MOJuly 25, 2012
May was a pleasant place to work, everyone was friendly and made sure our job was done in a timely manner
Pros
bonuses where excellent
Cons
hours
very busy and enjoyable place
office manager (Former Employee) –  Jackson, MSMay 3, 2012
full time work that was fast paced with customers, phone orders and lots of work I cashiered as necessary and had one assistant in the office. usually 7-8 personnel enjoyed the job

Ask a question about working or interviewing at May. Our community is ready to answer.