Mayo Clinic Employee Reviews

The Mayo Clinic way
Surgical Technologist (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLMarch 3, 2017
Mayo gave me my start as a Surgical Technologist. I completed my clinical training at the Mayo School of Medicine with the knowledge, confidence, and surgical skill set that would allow me to scrub cardio, thoracic, vascular, and robotic surgeries right out of school. The mayo team was always looking for room to improve customer service and education of staff. The Surgeons were always willing to work with students in the OR to expand their knowledge and skills.
Pros
Allowing students to enter all clinical services.
Cons
Selecting more students to complete clinical training during rotation.
Place of Knowledge
Vascular Access Technician (Current Employee) –  Rochester, MNMarch 9, 2017
Working with Mayo clinic has taught me how to appreciate working with a team. I love working as a phlebotomist and Mayo Clinic has allowed me skills I didn't have before working for them. Working for Mayo Clinic has its good and bad days as any job but working with my fellow coworkers make it that much better. The hardest part of the job is working in the ICU and Emergency Department short staffed. Despite being short staffed and over worked I wouldn't trade this opportunity for anything.
Pros
Discounts throughtout the US, Job security, Great Company
Cons
short breaks
Horrible place to work
Surgical Technologist (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZ 85054March 8, 2017
First forget whatever job it is they hire you for. You will be thrown into every situation imaginable whether you are properly trained for it or not. The needs of the patients and patient safety is definitively not on their priority list! Also forget whatever shift you were hired for you will be told after you start that you cover ALL shifts.
Management never has your back and team members are fine to throw you under the bus. In order to succeed at your job here you have to possess two things! You have to be extremely passive aggressive, and downright mean.
Pros
reasonable health insurance
Cons
too many to list!
You can find better
Medical Receptionist (Current Employee) –  La Crosse, WIMarch 9, 2017
I thought this was going to be what everyone talked it up to be, but it is much, MUCH worse. Management is HORRIBLE. They treat you awfully. You will have good and bad days at any job, and like and dislike things about every job. But when your bosses talk down to you and do not treat you with respect and constantly lie to you, that's not okay. I do not feel like a valued employee and I don't see how people rated this one of the best places to work, probably because they are the mean people in this organization and push everyone else around.. not worth your time or stress...People are extremely petty and catty.
Pros
benefits, pay
Cons
management.
Productive and fun work place
Summer Undergraduate Researcher Fellowship (Former Employee) –  Rochester, MNMarch 18, 2017
A typical day of work was filled with research on previous studies like the one we were working on. They also consisted of doing some of that research in a study. I learned a lot about what it takes to stay in a job like research, the different questions you can come up with and many other insightful professional tips. Other employees and coworkers made work fun and enjoyable to come into in the mornings. Having a chance to work on such a big project and present such scientific information was the most enjoyable part.
Number one hospital in the United States
HRT Analyst (Current Employee) –  Rochester, MNFebruary 13, 2017
Mayo Clinic is a wonderful place to work, not only because it's an organization that really does good in the world, but also because of their great benefits, higher than average pay, nice coworkers, and (for the most part) good management.

As with any company, there can be a bad apple here and there, but overall, Mayo is great. I have been privileged to work here.
Pros
good pay and benefits, coworkers, telework
Cons
parking if you work in Rochester on campus
Well known place,
Medical Assistant/Phlebotomy (Former Employee) –  Scottsdale, AZFebruary 9, 2017
Every day was very busy, witch it was a good thing, work was not equally between 12 phlebotomist. I did not learn anything more than what I already knew when I came to work for them. I felt that management needed to improve especially in the laboratory department, I felt I had no support from manager of supervisor. I had no problems with workplace culture. The hardest part of work was the lack of communication between supervisor and co-workers. I enjoyed working with people and I felt pleased to be able to help them in any way I can.
Pros
Company is very well know
Cons
Needs improvement in management between supervisors and co-workers
Mayo Clinic is an AMAZING Hospital
STERILE CORE TECHNICIAN (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLFebruary 6, 2017
This hospital is always at the forefront of the latest innovated technology and medical advancements. It is well known all around the world and looks good on any resume! The experience is incredible and the opportunities for advancement are limitless. I worked with someone that started as a housekeeper then worked his was up to a systems management position with the help of tuition assistance and advancement opportunities. Overall it ahs been one of my favorite places to work.
Pros
The experience, the opportunity, they really do hire from within first, you can use your badge to pay for anything and it will just be deducted out of your next paycheck
Cons
Management turnovers
Executives/Administrators raking in all the money...workers barely making it
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Rochester, MNMarch 25, 2017
I liked working with the people, but I didn't like the culture. The executive level is way over paid while the actual workers were barely getting by. They cut our benefits every year. But the executives got even more perks.
Pros
Rewarding working with the patients that come through the Clinic
Cons
Culture of higher-ups versus lowly workers
Of Mayo Clinic
Medical Technologist, Generalist (Current Employee) –  Rochester, MNJanuary 23, 2017
My day would start out with getting instruments ready to perform testing. Sample would come in at various time and work load varies. You can be busy one minute and then the next it can be slow. Slow time you can get documentation done along with other projects. Busy times you need to be great at multitasking and communication with co workers about what can be ran and what is calibrating or repeating.
A Great Place to Be Authentic
Electronic Records Specialist (Current Employee) –  Scottsdale, AZJanuary 13, 2017
"The needs of the patient are the only ones to be considered." This is the attitude of all the staff I have worked with for the past four and a half years at Mayo Clinic. Every person brings their best every day to offer patients comfort, hope, guidance and answers. It has been my highest privilege and honor to work side by side with peers who represent the very best in health care today.
Productive and fun work place
Quality Assurance Analyst (Former Employee) –  Rochester, MNMarch 28, 2017
During my typical workday, I am responsible for overseeing my teams as they progress on various advertising campaigns. I check in and help them with any issues they may be having such as doing mock-ups or securing rights to songs. I keep in touch with clients, update them on our progress and make sure they are satisfied with the promotional materials.
Professional yet could have fun on job as well
Appointment Specialist (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLDecember 31, 2016
A typical day at work consisted of mostly speaking with patients in person and on the phone about scheduling appointments and/or surgical procedures. I also gave access for certain medical providers for appointments that were for emergency cases only or for VIP patients. I typically would interact with nurses and Doctors and ANRPS and the nurses to coordinate their schedules with the patients they had for the current and upcoming days. Lots of customer service and medical terminology skills were required along with an ability to adapt to different personalities.
Benefits
Cons
Could use employees/programs more efficiently
Terrible Culture
Trainee (Former Employee) –  Rochester, MNMarch 23, 2017
Forced to do overtime in order to get the opportunity for a permanent position. Wasn't paid for skipping lunch nor staying late. Was yelled at and belittled. Supervisors gossipped about myself and another co-worker. Gossip culture with no diversity in the workforce and patients. The worst job I have ever had.
Pros
Money
Cons
Forced overtime and schedule changes, Gossiping
Definitely its own world
Senior Research Technologist (Former Employee) –  Rochester, MNMarch 27, 2017
Mayo is a great place to work, if you don't mind giving up a lot of your free time. I routinely worked overtime, but since I was salaried/exempt, I did not get paid for it. Also, Mayo does not give company holidays - instead you have to use your vacation time for days that Mayo is closed (Christmas, July 4, etc.). There is also a strict dress code, although you can sometimes get away with not following it if you are a student or if you are in an area (such as a lab) where you do not see patients. In general, the Mayo motto is 'the needs of the patient come first', which often times means the needs of the employee are a distant second. Although I really liked working at Mayo (the pay and benefits were above industry averages), it was somewhat difficult to find a suitable work/life balance.
Pros
Good culture; good salary and benefits
Cons
Limited parking; difficult to advance
Neurology Department
Neurodiagnostic Technologist Assistant (Current Employee) –  Rochester, MNNovember 13, 2016
Mayo Clinic is number one in the US for a reason: the community and culture brings people together, both caretakers and patients alike. A typical day at work involves meeting patients from all over the world, hearing their stories and what they've been through, and performing neurodiagnostic studies to help them along their journey. My co-workers are hard-working people with an attitude that amplifies the true culture of Mayo: "The needs of the patient come first."
Vibrant research environment with strong multidisciplinary collaborations
Research Associate (Current Employee) –  Scottsdale, AZJanuary 3, 2017
Principal investigators are great mentors here and very supportive to build you on your chosen academic career path. Work ethics are very strong such that experiments are planned with publications and conferences in mind.
Pros
Love the company
Cons
Not found one yet
Great place to work to receive entry level experience into Corporate business
Patient Financial Services Representative (Former Employee) –  Scottsdale, AZNovember 12, 2016
Typical Day: Review patient financial files and contact patients about any discrepancies. Mail out letters for outstanding bills. General office work (Microsoft office, copying, filing paperwork)

What I learned: Gave me early experience to the corporate world and how to conduct myself professionally

Management: Was very helpful and quick to guide when I would have questions or difficulties

Co-Workers: Extremely nice with a team atmosphere

Hardest part of job: Balancing school and hours worked

Most enjoyable part of job: Working with others that were willing to help when needed.
Pros
Free shuttle between campuses when I had to work at the hospital or clinic
Cons
N/A
Stressful but great team work
Certified Nursing Assistant (Current Employee) –  Mankato, MNJanuary 5, 2017
as an aide, we had a lot of busy work to complete before shifts end. Nurses were always willing to help though! its our job to answer calls lights, wash up patients, change linens, transfer, and we can even assist in procedures upon nursing discretion.
Pros
team work
Cons
lots of busy work, crazy at times
nice place to work
Cook (Former Employee) –  Eau Claire, WIMarch 13, 2017
Mayo clinic is a nice place to work. The work atmosphere is sometimes intense during busy hours. The management sometimes has issues. The employees are friendly and helpful. I enjoyed working at the establishment , the company changed from when I first started. This business has great benefits.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Mayo Clinic. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2