Mayo Clinic Employee Reviews

good place to work
Housekeeper I (Current Employee) –  phoenix azJanuary 17, 2018
good place to work good people good managers good food good patience good very beautiful hospital I left for personal reasons was pregnant at the time and I needed to stay home with my baby nothing person
Coworkers become your friends
Resource Health Unit Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Mankato, MNJanuary 17, 2018
Besides the satisfaction of helping patients and their families through some very stressful situations, I also found Mayo to be the best place I've worked due to a culture of respect for each other. A typical shift included a lot of multitasking of setting up discharge appointments or getting together discharge packets, including communicating with doctors to sign orders to get the discharge process completed. The doctors were always very friendly and respectful and helpful in every way possible. The other big responsibility was to do the necessary processes to quickly get the patient admitted into the computer system so that care could begin. I felt like a valued part of the team. The most enjoyable part was helping new parents complete their birth information paperwork in naming their baby. The worst part was having a code blue nearby and someone just passed away, seeing their family fall apart in the hallway. I would make them as comfortable as possible and offer coffee, tea, pop, a place to sit, a blanket, or call the pastor, etc. That was a rare occasion, but that was the worst part of the job. Altogether, I loved working at Mayo Clinic!
Cons
You have to commit to working every other weekend and every other holiday.
Very good place to work
Health Information Specialist (Current Employee) –  La Crosse, WIJanuary 17, 2018
Pulling charts ,scanning information into electronic medical records, data entry, answering phones.
I really enjoy my job and coworkers
Management is good
Benefits
Cons
N/a
Wonderful staff, invigorating environment, teaching facility
Medical Practice Secretary (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZ 85054January 16, 2018
After working at Mayo for 27 years, I miss the education each day; the staff, who were professionals, and interested in providing the best care for patients. I felt I was a part of that team approach, and it made my job more of a passion; interacting with a variety of various illnesses, and different levels of urgency was also invigorating. The variety of duties I performed also added to my job satisfaction immensely.

Management was supportive, and did their best to provide a safe and professional environment, a manageable workload, and allowed us to perform the jobs we were hired to carry out.
Pros
stimulating, educational environment.
Cons
Retiring, to maintain Mayo benefits for my ailing husband.
Pros and Cons
Specimen Processing Lab Assistant, Pathology (Current Employee) –  Rochester, MNJanuary 13, 2018
Your supervisor will largely determine the quality of your experience working here. There are many who are beyond pleased with their experience and feel they are treated very well and would never want to leave. Some areas have supervisors who care nothing for their subordinates as people (their job is to lay the law). And that can create a cold relationship between management and staff. For example, my manager would penalize someone for missing a day of work due to being in a car accident, sustaining an injury that requires medical attention, etc.
Pros
Decent benefits, PTO accrual rate allows employees to have an above average amount of PTO per year
Cons
Annual raises are fixed and very small, hourly workers not paid enough.
Learned a lot
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Rochester, MNJanuary 11, 2018
Riding the Rochester City Lines from Twin Cities was a 1.5 hours commute one way. So, 3 hours a day of travel time. Which is a lot of time close to 19 hours per week of commute time from park n ride. Plus the 40 hours a week shift...I was exhausted.
Pros
Benefits, opportunity to grow
Cons
poor office supervisor, very critically judgemental.
Okay
Patient Service Specialist (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLJanuary 11, 2018
Most coworkers are helpful and team players. Management of all departments are not on the same page of general information. There is a lack of communication with all departments.
Pros
lunch many choices and fresh
Cons
employee parking extremely far
fun place
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Mankato, MNJanuary 8, 2018
Fun place to work. caring people, always pushing you to work you best and be a great customer service representative, I would recommend working here for anyone.
Some areas are better than others
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Rochester, MNJanuary 7, 2018
I have worked in several areas at Mayo Clinic in my years here. Some areas have a great work culture, some do not. At my current location there is amazing flexibility, but no job growth/advancement and a very negative attitude among staff. Management is sub-par and doesn't seem to be engaged with staff. Not saying that this is seen throughout the Mayo Clinic, just certain areas.

Be sure to ask about job growth when you interview, and also gauge what the work culture is like. Some things are more important than the salary!
I thought communication would be better
House Keeping Attendant (Current Employee) –  New Prague, MNJanuary 5, 2018
Communication is not real good at Mayo.My typical day depends on who is there, and what has to be done.Genrally the employees are good to work with there,
Pros
Good Benefits
Cons
communication needs improvement
Really enjoyed working for this company
Medical Transcriptionist (Former Employee) –  Eau Claire, WIJanuary 4, 2018
I really enjoyed working for Mayo Clinic. I was a transcriptionist there for 11 years until they outsourced their work to Amphion. Pay and benefits were great.
Pros
Benefits, pay, management
Cons
Outsourced transcription
Felt good to be apart of the Mayo service team
INTERNSHIP (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJanuary 4, 2018
I was an intern at Mayo for 9 months. Everyone working at Mayo seems to be proud to be a part of the innovative work and foreward thinking there. The benefits are great. I would be glad to go back to work there in some capacity.
Great work environment
Patient Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Eau Claire, WIJanuary 3, 2018
Love the people I work with, great work environment, pay is very good, benefits are amazing. They are very flexible with you needing time off. I would recommend
Productive, and enjoying working with my colleagues!
Regulatory and Reimbursement Associate (Current Employee) –  Rochester, MNJanuary 3, 2018
My typical day at work is productive because I manage my own schedules to attend all the meetings, and I ensure to meet all my project deadlines in timely manner. In addition my daily routine is different due to managing multiple projects and depending on the urgency of the project needs. Mayo Clinic’s work culture is excellent because its base on team building spirit and helping each other grow in their positions. One of the hardest parts of my job is to make sure my meetings are not double schedule at the same time. On the other hand, the enjoyable part of my job is I get to make my own decisions based on the situation that occurs and I am flexible and adaptable to work in any environment to get the task done.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Double scheduling the meetings at the same
Pleasant environment with many opportunities to increase knowledge base and experience
Pharmacy Technician (Former Employee) –  Rochester, MNJanuary 2, 2018
Mayo Clinic provided a relaxed environment to work in. I enjoyed being part of a team that communicated and collaborated well. Each part of my job as a pharmacy technician allowed me to advance my skill sets. Every day was different. One day I would be working in a call center answering phones, and helping troubleshoot pharmacy systems. Another day I would deliver medications to multiple downtown clinic sites. On other days I would do inventory verification of several thousand medications. The management kept us up to date on new information and communicated closely with the staff. It was nice being able to collaborate openly with supervisors to best meet our needs and needs of the job. I learned a wealth of skills working at mayo clinic. I learned several pharmacy operating systems, and Microsoft Office programs along the way. The hardest part of the job was on the days I delivered medications to several clinic sites. It was a lot of walking and standing on those days. However, the variety of job functions from day to day allowed for rest in between those busy moving days. I enjoyed the people I worked with. Everyone in all departments are pleasant to talk with and all have the same desire to ensure patient needs.
Pros
Excellent benefits
Cons
Some shifts were double backed, ex. 11:30pm then 7am the next day.
Professional First rate
Investigator-Compliance Specialist (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLJanuary 2, 2018
Very professional environment and staff. Great benefits since the hospital and physicians used in my and families health care were right there, very convenient
Pros
Good work envirnonment
Premier Facility
BSN Clinic Nurse (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLJanuary 1, 2018
I worked with the best in the neurology profession. The collaboration of the nursing and medical staff is amazing. The pride in customer service is the best in the medical field. It was with great pleasure that I was offered the opportunity to work with the best epilepsy specialist in the country. There was no limited to training and advancement
Pros
training, advancement, education
Cons
Challenging workplace with excellent benefits
Administrative Services (Former Employee) –  Rochester, MNDecember 31, 2017
The day was fast paced with a wide variety of duties and challenges. Employees arrived at their scheduled time and began handling the phone, scheduling meetings, preparing agendas, scheduling trips, reviewing the days schedule with their Administrators, completing requested tasks. Each Administrative Assistant worked independently with the Administrator or person assigned. I enjoyed the variety of duties and the fast pace. The hardest part of the job was being able to find time for meetings for staff who were already double booked with meetings.
good place to work
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Rochester, MNDecember 28, 2017
Institution is becoming about the bottom line. They are getting away from the value "the needs of the patients comes first". Emphasis is on seeing complex cases. Cost for patient care is above average for area. They say this is because of the complex cases. I would like them to figure out a way to put the needs of ALL patients first, not just the complex cases. And to take ownership of mistakes that are made with patient care. They do great work here but there is always room for improvement.
Recommended to all
Staff RN (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZDecember 28, 2017
Mayo Clinic Hospital has a great work environment. Excellence in Physician roles, RN's are BSN's and most working towards their NP status. High level of intelligence is brought to the bedside allowing the bedside nurse to fulfill her role in executing extraordinary healthcare.
Most nurse to patient ratio's are no greater than 4:1. And on most floors it is 3:1 or 2:1. Allowing for education of the patient and very few poor experiences.
There are many double check systems in place to reduce any chance of medical error.
The hardest part of my job was the Cancer population and the severity of this disease.
The most enjoyable was the staff and peers I worked with, they were excellent beyond words.
I learned that there are few hospitals that are as safe a place to work as Mayo. I traveled the US for a few years and saw alot of variables.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Mayo Clinic. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2