Mayo Clinic Employee Reviews in United States

Much needed improvement
LPN/CMA (Former Employee) –  MinnesotaJune 19, 2016
Enjoyed working with the patients and some of the staff were professional, hours were good and able to rotate to different areas or with different providers. Most of the benefits were good, it was beginning to change when I left.

Definitely need to work on the south central area, mankato and waseca, mn supervisors hardly ever around for help, implementation of rules and regulations apply depending on who you are and who you know when it comes to promotions or moving up if your well liked and know the right people you will prosper. Lot of gossiping among the employees,
Pros
BENEFITS & HOURS
Cons
GOSSIPING / Favoritism
very professional place to work for
Technical Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Waycross, GAJune 18, 2016
Insurance and other benefits are very good.
friendly staff
typical day normal for a nmt
perform QC and diagnostic procedures for patients and their doctors
Staff exceptional and mostly supportive, BUT...
Endoscopy Technician (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJune 10, 2016
Mayo touts its reputation for attracting the best and the brightest, but plays down the covert favortism and competitiveness. Location, location, and weather, with the exception of summer months, are among the biggest pro draws. Cons can be the work environment, which, often is emotionally distressing. The extrodinarily high work volume condensed into a narrow window isnt uncommon here or elsewhere, but, can be overwelming due to the lack of appreciation demonstrated by unit leadership members. Leadership has nurtured this non unified culture without regard for the lack of trust among its nursing staff, but more for the control it yeilds. Over time demoralizing actions, lack of respect from leadership, fear, and promotions based on subjection take their toll on some very exceptionsl healthcare providers. Likely, the most detrimental cause and effect of not obtaining Magnet status in Arizona. Educational opportunities available, and advancements are doled out by leadership regularly, without consideration to talent and work ethic, rather advancement opportunities are based on subjective favoritism. When staff comply with the high demands to meet these expectations, they are then sent home early as a reward. Consequenyly, monetary compensation is effectively reduced in favor of managerial bonuses and rewards. Nursing to patient care ratios are never in favor of the staff. Non license personnel often practice outside their scope and nurses are not supported when reporting these gaps in the chain of command, but are reminded constantly of the chain of responsibility.
Pros
Best equipment, supplies a plenty, advanced science exposure
Cons
Lowwork, not enough staff to do the work, favoritisim
Productive and fast paced environment. Rewarding job!
TMA/CNA (Former Employee) –  Rochester, MNJune 7, 2016
The hardest part of this job, besides getting attached to the people you take care of, is not having enough time to spend with each individual you are taking care of. The job itself is rewarding and fulfilling. Knowing you made a difference in someones day makes it all worth it.
Pros
Fulfilling
Cons
Exhausting
Overall wonderful place to work.
Technician (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLJune 7, 2016
Mayo Clinic was a fantastic company to work for. The staff was amazing. My unit was a true depiction of Mayo Clinic's core Mission Statement. Well supplied and staffed so that I could concentrate on giving the utmost attention to my job and performance.
Pros
Well staffed and supplied.
Cons
Limited flexibility for career advancement for a technician.
Wonderful Company
Health Unit Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Rochester, MNJune 5, 2016
I love what I do at Mayo Clinic. I feel as important and respected as my colleagues of higher ranks and titles. I never feel burned out or overworked, and I feel very supported. I would highly recommend working for this company at any of their locations. You will learn and grow personally and professionally!
Pros
Flexible schedule, Strong culture of mutual respect, Great work-life balance
Cons
Some positions do not have opportunities for advancement, Strict dress code policies
Predictable
Administrative Assistant / Hiring Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Rochester, MNJune 3, 2016
Pride in quality of performance and care with all individual employees continue to make the institution as a whole a strong and reputable institution for patients and employees.
Best place of employment so far
Phlebotomist, LST (laboratory service technician) (Current Employee) –  Rochester, MNMay 30, 2016
My experience working for Mayo has been the best so far. My coworkers always made the best out of any situation that we have came across. Team work in my area has been a strong skill that all members obtain.
Comfortable work setting and motivated staff.
Standardized Patient (Current Employee) –  Rochester, MNMay 30, 2016
A typical day at work consists of arriving and clocking in. I typically work alone although my job is to interact with medical students. The best part of working there is knowing that i am helping students grasp the concepts that they learn in the classroom in a more realistic setting. The people are pleasant and overall it is a very enjoyable job.
temp job
Call Center Rep (Former Employee) –  Rochester, MNMay 20, 2016
set schedule, answering phones all day and not really learning a ton. needed college credits to stay in the position. the job was early in the morning till mid afternoon
ICU Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLMay 12, 2016
Mayo has a great reputation and great resources available. Plenty of room for advancement. Just need higher wages and less restricted benefits packages.
Patient care and health information More than 3,300 physicians, scientists and researchers from Mayo Clinic
Network Engineer (Current Employee) –  Rochester, MNMay 12, 2016
Mayo Clinic has major campuses in Rochester, Minn.; Scottsdale and Phoenix, Ariz.; and Jacksonville, Fla. The Mayo Clinic Health System has dozens of locations in several states.Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization and proceeds from Web advertising help support our mission. Mayo Clinic does not endorse any of the third party products and services advertised.
Great work enviorment!
Administrative Intern (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLMay 7, 2016
I loved my internship experience at Mayo Clinic! It was a great place to be able to put all of my hard work of getting my degree to good use. Staff were always friendly and move towards a common goal. It felt like we were a family.
Pros
Work environment, location
Cons
I did not have enough time there
Fun and very productive place
IT Auditor (Current Employee) –  Rochester, MNMay 6, 2016
Fun and very productive place.

Good place to work.

Job security, plenty work benefits.

I learnt a lot on the job.

Needs of patient comes first as Mayo Clinic continue to make Rochester a center for Medical revolution and wellness
Pros
Fantastic benefit
Mayo
Certified Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Menomonie, WIMay 5, 2016
Good, no complaints and I liked my job. I worked there for 2 years and the doctors, specialists, nurses, CNAs, supervisors, managers, social workers, housekeeping were all wonderful. The benefits were good. The management was good. The job culture was good.
Pros
People
#1 Hospital in AZ
Security (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZMay 2, 2016
It's pleasant to be able to work at a place that you enjoy going to. My management is always very supportive and helpful. Rated #1 hospital in AZ for 2015, how can you not love working there
Pros
Pay, benefits, work/life balance
Great infrastructure, opportunities to excel
Research Scientist (Immunology/Rheumatology) (Former Employee) –  Rochester, MNApril 27, 2016
I learnt a lot, my skill sets were greatly enhanced. Research facilities, core facilities for microscopes, animals, flow cytometry, medical library are exceptional.

There are high expectations to produce high quality of work all the time year by year, Sometimes extreme competitiveness produced burn out in professionals. Some people thrive in such environment.
Pros
infrastructure
Cons
seven months of brutal cold weather
Treated very unfairly
Service (Former Employee) –  Rochester, MNApril 26, 2016
So when I moved to rochester every one raved about working at mayo. I applied and got the job. Was very excited when I began. I was told I would be doing less then part time so only working a few days a month starting out and that they would have more days available for me as time went on if I CHOOSE to pick them up. It was a complete nightmare! They expected me to be available 24/7 keep in mind this was not an on call position. I picked up extra days and literally worked every weekend for two months because other employees wanted time off/sick ext.. which was not big deal for me. I was not offered any benefits or anything even if i did work 40 hours. So i decided to look for another position that was fulltime with benefits which was also through mayo. I was offered that position as well, so I put my two week notice in and started getting ready to start at my new position. What really was a nightmare was that at my old position they had wrote down negative things, which where not an issue when I worked there but now all of a sudden that I had put my two week notice in they were. I felt as though they were very bitter about me moving on to a diffrent position. Needless to say the new supervisor never called me back to discuss the position any further.
Pros
Close to downtown
Cons
HR is a joke and supervisor are unfair
Contractor at Mayo
Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Rochester, MNApril 20, 2016
My overall rating of Mayo is a 4. I have had a great experience working on my current projects and have been challenged throughout which has allowed me to develop a lot of critical skills necessary to do my job as best as possible. The support I have received from Upper Management has been amazing and without it I would not have been able to progress as much as I have or made improvements with such a profound impact.
As I am not a direct employee of Mayo I do not receive benefits or job security outside of my contracted projects which is why I did not rate those areas.
The Work/Life balance is great, Mayo is good about making sure that you are able to take care of personal issues and are accommodating to schedules by offering remote work options as well as flexible hours.
My experience with management has been great and I have had the opportunity to work with some really great leaders including my direct department boss and the director of the department.

On the non-clinical side the job culture needs a big makeover; there is a generational gap that make adapting to change difficult for many people. As that gap narrows with time (retiring staff being placed by new hires) my hopes are that new energy and attitudes will help shape and pave the way for a healthier job culture that embraces change.
Pros
Flexible scheduling, challenging projects, independent direction
Cons
Communication plans are lacking (no scrum, no dailies etc.) and team collaboration could be encouraged more
great place to work
Security Manager (Current Employee) –  Waycross, GA 31501April 15, 2016
very good place to work and very good management, allows max. time for work and family life. made schools/coursed opens for advancement all paid by Mayo. The enjoyable part was made to feel like a part of something much bigger and kept informed of upcoming projects.

4.3