Mayo Clinic Employee Reviews

Learn a lot but be prepared for disappointment.
MRI Technologist (Former Employee) –  Rochester, MNApril 16, 2017
With the wide variety of patients and complicated disease processes, you will constantly be learning here. A great place to go to gain work experience!

Work can be very demanding, with various hours and work locations. In such a large department, you are constantly rotating through different areas and working with a changing group of people, with various capabilities and work ethics.

Management is too busy trying to make themselves look good to make any real attempt at improving the situation for regular employees. They frequently say what they think you want to hear, but their actions are totally different. Be forewarned that what you are told will occur may well be completely different from your actual experience. Lots of lip service to making things better for employees with many committees and "group decisions", but in the end management does whatever it wants.

Pay is okay, time off is easily earned but not so easily taken, and the parking situation is terrible. Be prepared to park far away from your work location and expect to walk a long way in all kinds of weather, with no accommodation for the extra time spent trying to make it to the workplace. You are on your own, and lateness is a serious offense.
Pros
Decent pay and benefits
Cons
Poor management who only pretend to care about staff, unpredictable work situations and environment.
Great Place To Work
Information Management Technical Specialist (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZApril 14, 2017
Mayo is a prestigious and competent company. It is a little difficult to advance, because people tend to stay at Mayo, making it tough to develop seniority. There is little reward for being a hard worker, because Mayo hires the best candidates of any hospital in the area, thus everyone receives the same increase in salary, etc.
Enjoyed my work
IT ANALYST / PROGRAMMER (Current Employee) –  Waycross, GAApril 12, 2017
I have always thought I had the best job and always enjoyed my job. I have leaned a lot in my 42 years at the Hospital. I love analytical work. The most enjoyable part of my job is being able to help people and solve problems.
Great place
Dietary Aide (Former Employee) –  Lake City, MNApril 9, 2017
This is an awesome place to work and has so many career options. Mayo is my top choice to try and work for. The workers are great and the people are even better to take care of.
Porductive and competitive
Postdoctoral Fellow (Current Employee) –  Rochester, MNApril 9, 2017
Good professional environment for scientific research. Competitive skills are relevant to keep scientific projects. Important translational research aspect, and important subjects studied as gastrointestinal pathologies, aging and specific topis related to pathologies in important organs.
Mayo Clinic
Heath Unit Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Austin, MNApril 8, 2017
A typical night shift consists of registering patients and entering orders. I preform some trauma tasks as well. My manager is a wonderful person and is very easy to get along with. The hardest part of the job is having to deal with death of patients. I like who I work with .
Telecommute position Medical Transcription
Medical Transcriptionist (Current Employee) –  Rochester, MNApril 6, 2017
Training provided, bit fast paced. Need technical know how or someone to help once back home to set up equipment but once that was done, great training, excellent manager with feedback. They have invested in you and they want you to succeed to work for Mayo. All around win win. High standards that are achievable. Excellent work ethic. All encountered are extremely committed.
Pros
Everything - it is Mayo Clinic!
Cons
If you have a good manager it is a great place to work.
Education Specialist (Former Employee) –  Rochester, MNApril 5, 2017
They compensate you well, but the work/life balance is a joke. You are expected to work 45-50 hours a week or whatever your manager tells you to do. Very nepotistic culture. Management are all married to one another, someone's brother or son.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Everything else
Great hours
G4S Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Waycross, GAApril 4, 2017
Slow paced through out the week, but busy on weekend. Management is great very seasoned vets. The hardest part of the is not choosing the days you want off.
Pros
Dental and Health
Cons
very slow
Interesting difference in working in Rochester vs. off site
LPN Staff Nurse (Former Employee) –  Owatonna, MNApril 4, 2017
The patients and staff are amazing to work with. The management somehow loses it's ability to understand that what works in Rochester, a city that serves many different patients from many different states/countries does not function the same as their outreach clinics who serve the same families for decades. The insist on what "works at Mayo" will work in a small town. It does not. They haven't and won't listen to that so their patient load is being lost slowly to the Allina clinics in the region.
I learned many thing about different insurances, claims with the client and over the phones.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Rochester, MNApril 3, 2017
Mayo is a wonderful place to work simply because of the.emphases placed on schooling and constant learning in the classroom and in the work environment, which is the most enjoyable part of the job.
Pros
Always training the employee to have a mutual training experience with the company.
Cons
Missing the camaraderie.
Productive and fun working place.
Medical Spanish Interpreter (Current Employee) –  Rochester, MNMarch 30, 2017
Mayo Clinic's model of care is defined by teamwork, with a group of experts focusing their expertise on one patient at a time. The high-quality rankings reinforce their commitment to patient care.
Faced paced and overall fun place to work
Environmental Services (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLMarch 30, 2017
Every day was different, no day was the same. However, if you are a germ a fob like me; you may not want to work in environmental services. At times, all of our supplies were not available.
Cons
short breaks, long lines to get pay for your meal. Better to bring your on.
Overall good place to work
Clinical Research Coordinator II (Current Employee) –  Rochester, MNMarch 29, 2017
Great educational program and several choices for advancement with in the organization. Organization strives on following the mission, values, and goals of the company.
Pros
Flexible
Cons
Coporations
Productive and fun work place
Quality Assurance Analyst (Former Employee) –  Rochester, MNMarch 28, 2017
During my typical workday, I am responsible for overseeing my teams as they progress on various advertising campaigns. I check in and help them with any issues they may be having such as doing mock-ups or securing rights to songs. I keep in touch with clients, update them on our progress and make sure they are satisfied with the promotional materials.
was wonderful until new manager
Pharmacy tech (Former Employee) –  Scottsdale, AZMarch 28, 2017
great place to work, they take care of there employees, money is good, I learned the value of life and the cultural diversity and how everyone comes together is great
benefits
Cons
new management
Definitely its own world
Senior Research Technologist (Former Employee) –  Rochester, MNMarch 27, 2017
Mayo is a great place to work, if you don't mind giving up a lot of your free time. I routinely worked overtime, but since I was salaried/exempt, I did not get paid for it. Also, Mayo does not give company holidays - instead you have to use your vacation time for days that Mayo is closed (Christmas, July 4, etc.). There is also a strict dress code, although you can sometimes get away with not following it if you are a student or if you are in an area (such as a lab) where you do not see patients. In general, the Mayo motto is 'the needs of the patient come first', which often times means the needs of the employee are a distant second. Although I really liked working at Mayo (the pay and benefits were above industry averages), it was somewhat difficult to find a suitable work/life balance.
Pros
Good culture; good salary and benefits
Cons
Limited parking; difficult to advance
Executives/Administrators raking in all the money...workers barely making it
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Rochester, MNMarch 25, 2017
I liked working with the people, but I didn't like the culture. The executive level is way over paid while the actual workers were barely getting by. They cut our benefits every year. But the executives got even more perks.
Pros
Rewarding working with the patients that come through the Clinic
Cons
Culture of higher-ups versus lowly workers
Terrible Culture
Trainee (Former Employee) –  Rochester, MNMarch 23, 2017
Forced to do overtime in order to get the opportunity for a permanent position. Wasn't paid for skipping lunch nor staying late. Was yelled at and belittled. Supervisors gossipped about myself and another co-worker. Gossip culture with no diversity in the workforce and patients. The worst job I have ever had.
Pros
Money
Cons
Forced overtime and schedule changes, Gossiping
Community Healthcare
PROVIDER ENROLLMENT SPECIALIST (Former Employee) –  La Crosse, WIMarch 21, 2017
I enjoyed a long employment with Mayo, they were a great company to work for and offered many benefits to full time staff. Hours were great and I worked with some great people

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Mayo Clinic. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2