Mayo Clinic Employee Reviews

Definitely its own world
Senior Research Technologist (Former Employee) –  Rochester, MNMarch 27, 2017
Mayo is a great place to work, if you don't mind giving up a lot of your free time. I routinely worked overtime, but since I was salaried/exempt, I did not get paid for it. Also, Mayo does not give company holidays - instead you have to use your vacation time for days that Mayo is closed (Christmas, July 4, etc.). There is also a strict dress code, although you can sometimes get away with not following it if you are a student or if you are in an area (such as a lab) where you do not see patients. In general, the Mayo motto is 'the needs of the patient come first', which often times means the needs of the employee are a distant second. Although I really liked working at Mayo (the pay and benefits were above industry averages), it was somewhat difficult to find a suitable work/life balance.
Pros
Good culture; good salary and benefits
Cons
Limited parking; difficult to advance
Executives/Administrators raking in all the money...workers barely making it
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Rochester, MNMarch 25, 2017
I liked working with the people, but I didn't like the culture. The executive level is way over paid while the actual workers were barely getting by. They cut our benefits every year. But the executives got even more perks.
Pros
Rewarding working with the patients that come through the Clinic
Cons
Culture of higher-ups versus lowly workers
Terrible Culture
Trainee (Former Employee) –  Rochester, MNMarch 23, 2017
Forced to do overtime in order to get the opportunity for a permanent position. Wasn't paid for skipping lunch nor staying late. Was yelled at and belittled. Supervisors gossipped about myself and another co-worker. Gossip culture with no diversity in the workforce and patients. The worst job I have ever had.
Pros
Money
Cons
Forced overtime and schedule changes, Gossiping
Community Healthcare
PROVIDER ENROLLMENT SPECIALIST (Former Employee) –  La Crosse, WIMarch 21, 2017
I enjoyed a long employment with Mayo, they were a great company to work for and offered many benefits to full time staff. Hours were great and I worked with some great people
RN/Case manager
RN Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLMarch 20, 2017
Loved the staff, the benefits and ability to get an advance degree paid for by my employer. Was a good experience and I was able to get my MSN half paid for before I had to go part time
Pros
great company, benefits
Cons
Productive and fun work place
Summer Undergraduate Researcher Fellowship (Former Employee) –  Rochester, MNMarch 18, 2017
A typical day of work was filled with research on previous studies like the one we were working on. They also consisted of doing some of that research in a study. I learned a lot about what it takes to stay in a job like research, the different questions you can come up with and many other insightful professional tips. Other employees and coworkers made work fun and enjoyable to come into in the mornings. Having a chance to work on such a big project and present such scientific information was the most enjoyable part.
nice place to work
Cook (Former Employee) –  Eau Claire, WIMarch 13, 2017
Mayo clinic is a nice place to work. The work atmosphere is sometimes intense during busy hours. The management sometimes has issues. The employees are friendly and helpful. I enjoyed working at the establishment , the company changed from when I first started. This business has great benefits.
Place of Knowledge
Vascular Access Technician (Current Employee) –  Rochester, MNMarch 9, 2017
Working with Mayo clinic has taught me how to appreciate working with a team. I love working as a phlebotomist and Mayo Clinic has allowed me skills I didn't have before working for them. Working for Mayo Clinic has its good and bad days as any job but working with my fellow coworkers make it that much better. The hardest part of the job is working in the ICU and Emergency Department short staffed. Despite being short staffed and over worked I wouldn't trade this opportunity for anything.
Pros
Discounts throughtout the US, Job security, Great Company
Cons
short breaks
You can find better
Medical Receptionist (Current Employee) –  La Crosse, WIMarch 9, 2017
I thought this was going to be what everyone talked it up to be, but it is much, MUCH worse. Management is HORRIBLE. They treat you awfully. You will have good and bad days at any job, and like and dislike things about every job. But when your bosses talk down to you and do not treat you with respect and constantly lie to you, that's not okay. I do not feel like a valued employee and I don't see how people rated this one of the best places to work, probably because they are the mean people in this organization and push everyone else around.. not worth your time or stress...People are extremely petty and catty.
Pros
benefits, pay
Cons
management.
Horrible place to work
Surgical Technologist (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZ 85054March 8, 2017
First forget whatever job it is they hire you for. You will be thrown into every situation imaginable whether you are properly trained for it or not. The needs of the patients and patient safety is definitively not on their priority list! Also forget whatever shift you were hired for you will be told after you start that you cover ALL shifts.
Management never has your back and team members are fine to throw you under the bus. In order to succeed at your job here you have to possess two things! You have to be extremely passive aggressive, and downright mean.
Pros
reasonable health insurance
Cons
too many to list!
Love to work with
Claims Processor (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLMarch 8, 2017
Very professional. Always was happy to go to work. Great co-workers and Supervisors. Always work as a team,.Anything you needed was provided. Family, Friends, and great Customers.
Best possible place to work
Health Unit Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Rochester, MNMarch 6, 2017
The best place to possibly work at. Flexible. Family oriented. Great benefits. The people are very nice and depending on the position, it is a great opportunity to grow and be a part of a thriving community
Mayo Clinic is very organized.
Transcriptionist (Former Employee) –  Scottsdale, AZMarch 3, 2017
Mayo Clinic was my first position as a transcriptionist. They are very organized and have a great system in which to work. I learned how to use Shorthand at Mayo Clinic, which increased my production greatly.
The Mayo Clinic way
Surgical Technologist (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLMarch 3, 2017
Mayo gave me my start as a Surgical Technologist. I completed my clinical training at the Mayo School of Medicine with the knowledge, confidence, and surgical skill set that would allow me to scrub cardio, thoracic, vascular, and robotic surgeries right out of school. The mayo team was always looking for room to improve customer service and education of staff. The Surgeons were always willing to work with students in the OR to expand their knowledge and skills.
Pros
Allowing students to enter all clinical services.
Cons
Selecting more students to complete clinical training during rotation.
company hired insufficient employees
CNA / UC (Former Employee) –  Dover, MEFebruary 28, 2017
over all was a growth of experience , the work place was not supervised in a good way , too many bosses , not enough care providers to make a great team , constantly working short handed
Pros
beginners job
Cons
no growth
Clinical Research Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Rochester, MNFebruary 27, 2017
I currently work in research and have been given many opportunities to advance within the company. One of the best places to work, they take care of their employees.
Pretty good emplyer with good benefits
Quality Management Service (Current Employee) –  Rochester, MNFebruary 26, 2017
The hardest part of the job is management who doesn't know or understand the job. Overall, a good employer with good benefits who truly does care about the patient.
Fun atmosphere but a lot of walking.
TRAY RUNNER/FOOD CHECKER (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLFebruary 24, 2017
A typical day at work involves running trays all day and doing side duties. You can also be a tray checker which involves checking the trays and making sure they are correct according to the patients diet.
This company missed the mark!
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Rochester, MNFebruary 24, 2017
Mayo Clinic and hospital is known world wide for its latest innovations in Health care and that's what has made it the #1 Hospital in the world....HOWEVER, they severely missed the mark on employee satisfaction. In order to have a workforce that enjoys coming to work everyday you must provide benefits that are attractive.....the few things I hate are: this is the only company I've heard of that DOES NOT pay for holidays!!! so you have no choice but to use your own time (if you have any ) to receive pay for the holidays. Totally insane !! so the little bit you do accrue you have to account for when planning vacations, in expectant days off work etc which in my opinion is very unfair!!!! So you end up either never taking a vacation or never getting holiday pay!!

A well known organization like this and they don't pay for holidays yet you can't work these days to get paid because the clinics are closed!!!!;

Parking is another horrible situation. For employees not to be able to park in campus is terrible and on top of that are expected to pay minimum of $1200 a year to be shuttled into campus?? I've never ever heard of such nonsense!! Risk your life to come to work in over a foot of snow in worries of being "docked " an occurrence because you didn't show up...the employee culture here sucks!!!!! I wish I would not have chosen Mayo Clinic for a career!!!
Pros
greatbpay, good benefits, good work-life balance
Cons
no diversity, no paid holidays, no on-site parking, PTO accrual..not sufficient
Recruitment
Director of Intermediate Care & Critical Care (Former Employee) –  Mankato, MNFebruary 21, 2017
Recruitment was a passion for me to be able to bring in providers to help the service area.I am a people person and good judge of character. I really enjoyed getting a contract back signed.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Mayo Clinic. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2