Mayo Clinic Employee Reviews in United States

Long Hours, Lousy Benifits... But good health services
Facilities Operations (Current Employee) –  Waycross, GAApril 19, 2013
A typical day at work for me consists of sitting at a desk in a small room with one coworker. We answer phones,call codes,answer dr's hotlines, answer all hospice calls,beep dr's,beep hospice nurses, beep on-call surgeons and departments, log all info into system, monitor security video and monitor maintenance panels/alarms. This isn't a bad job, it is just long hours. We are at the hospital a total of 12.5 hours per day, getting a small 30 minute lunch break (most coworkers eat in the office while working at the same time). But for me I receive no benefits because I am only listed as a prn worker, but a majority of the time, I am asked to work more than the minimum hours required. Salary isn't that great, considering its not even $9 per hour.... combine that with the lack of benefits and the long hours= a so-so job!
Pros
cant think of any
Cons
long hours/ no benefits/ sitting for 12 hours/leg cramps/ low salary
A Bad Experience overall
Food Distributor (Former Employee) –  Rochester, MNMarch 14, 2016
Working at Mayo May Have its perks.. somewhat. The job market for Mayo clinic is high but the way the treat there employees and Try to Fire employees on a daily basis is Unprofessional at best
excellent
Physician Assistant (Former Employee) –  Rochester, MNApril 9, 2016
take care inpatients
excellent working environment
Learned so much from coworkers
seen lots of uncommon diseases
wonderful place for medical practice
A great place to work. The team work is phenominal
Evironmental Service Worker (Former Employee) –  Eau Claire, WIMay 22, 2015
Great company to work for. The benefits are awesome. The pay is quite nice. I've learned so much about leadership from coworkers.
Pros
Benefits, pay, the work
Cons
Sometimes the leadership of the department
Productive and Effecient
Imaging Assistant (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLApril 11, 2016
Great work environment and excellent patient care. Management is very open and eager to assist. On the job training is an awesome benefit.
poor leadership, no work-life balance
Former pharmacy staff (Former Employee) –  Mankato, mnApril 22, 2012
High turnover due to excessive work loads. Poor leadership from the top down. Work environment is unfair and hostile with lots of staff infighting. Schedule is not conducive to creating a healthy work-life balance. staff members work overtime(often without pay) and through breaks. Pay and benefits are average, some employees have better pay/benefit packages than others doing the same job. Would steer anyone away from this workplace unless you are looking for the Mayo feather in your cap and you plan to move on.
Pros
can get the mayo name on resume
Cons
bad work environment, poor management
Housekeeping/cook Aide
Houskeeping (Former Employee) –  Sparta, WIApril 11, 2016
I loved going to work everyday, to meet new patients and staff. I was very dependable and honest. Love to clean. And always went above my line of duty.
Secure jobs
Program Director (Current Employee) –  Rochester, MNApril 11, 2016
I have had the opportunity to work at a great healthcare facility for 25 years. I have learned much in that time and the jobs and people are very diverse!
Productive and a great place to work
house keeper (Former Employee) –  Waycross, GAMarch 31, 2016
good and safe place to be
great co-workers
I learned how to speak and assist patients with cleaning their rooms.
My supervisor was great.
Pros
na
Cons
na
This company fosters an environment where I am able to use my relational skills and learn ways to deal with a huge variety of peopleneeding services.
Treatment Technician (Current Employee) –  Albert Lea, MNOctober 2, 2015
I enjoy many different aspects of this job. I am able to gain confidence in my ability to relate to a variety of people on whatever level they are at. To meet them where they are. I gained much skill in assessing the needs of individuals seeking help.
Pros
Great staff, nature of the job, understanding with family
Cons
Management was lacking a bit as identified by their lack of staff and the morale of the staff.
It was an adventurous place to work at.
Patient Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZ 85054February 20, 2016
I learned a lot at this job. I spent a considerable amount of time with health care staff and patients. I also worked with computers and multi lined phone systems.
Pros
free lunches. met a lot of people
Cons
it was far from home
Top Notch Medical Facility
Intermediate Programmer/Analyst (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLApril 17, 2014
Mayo Clinic is one of the best places that I can think of to work. The management truly cares about their staff and values opinions and input from employees at all levels. The management also does an excellent job of allowing employees to manage their work/life balance and implements programs to prevent employee burnout.
Pros
competitive pay, excellent benefits package, and added perks such as employee discounts and employee assistance programs.
Cons
non-profit so now allowable bonuses or incentive packages.
Good place to work.
Development Technologist (Current Employee) –  Rochester, MNMarch 23, 2015
The supervisor you have makes a big difference. Mine for the most part have been very good. Most of the primary investigators are true to the data but, like many/all? places, there are those who get mad at the technologist because the data does not support their hypothesis.
Pros
Decent benefits
Cons
If you live in Rochester, MN and are a biology major it's Mayo or unemployed.
Took Education leave and was let go
Coordinator (Former Employee) –  ArizonaJanuary 24, 2013
Mayo clinic offers an educational leave of absence as a benefit. After diligently working for years, I decided to purse my education and made an attempt to use this benefit. The educational leave was approved for one year, however, after six months on leave; HR sent a letter of termination stating that I forgot to wear nylons seven months earlier and was out of dress code! HR never met with me or called to explain the reasoning. Attempted in vain to contact my manager, so much for loyalty to their employees!
benefits
Cons
dysfunctional, salary, management, no advancement
A team work clinic
MS level III biostatistician (Current Employee) –  Rochester, MNSeptember 4, 2014
Normally, I come in at 5:30 am. and leave at 3 pm. Can meet with physicians early before they go to see their patients or go to surgeries. By the end of the day, I get their data analyses done and we can review the result the next day.

All of us can help each others to cover as many projects as we can. We have pcinic, parites and golf tourament so that we can get to know each other.

Sometiems, we can get as many as 10 projects in a day and have to respond to 20 e-mails on various qustions. That will be the hardest part.

The best is to see when we have implemented the new tools to help patients and doctors after analyze the data.
Pros
work on your own schedule. no traffic to go to work.
Cons
benefits are getting less.
Fun Workplace
Medical Coder (Former Employee) –  Springfield, MNSeptember 2, 2015
Mayo was a nice place to start out my work experience and grow as a coder. I learned all about the coding world after college here and grew to be a same day surgery coder, ER coder, and therapy coding as well. I really enjoyed getting to know my coworkers and gain knowledge from them as well. My least favorite thing about Mayo was the management. The management changed so much there was not a whole lot of consistency with leadership. I was lucky enough to learn so much about coding that gave me the confidence to go home and become the remote coder than I am now!
Pros
I learned so much from Mayo that shaped me into who i am today as a coder!
Cons
Inconsistency from leadership
Very Cliquish and Unprofessional
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZMay 12, 2013
Before securing a full-time job at Mayo Clinic, I interned as a nurse during the prior summer. I enjoyed my internship and was offered an RN position after graduating nursing school. Little did I know, the real Mayo experience was very cliquish and unpleasant. It was extremely difficult to collaborate with my peers due to this hostile environment. If you don't plan on kissing up to your co-workers or manager than this is not the right place for you.
Pros
good income & benefits
Cons
poor management on unit 3e, cliquish, short breaks, & long hours
Good Benefits and Salary, Zero work-life balance, HR policies are a Joke
Medication Reconciliation Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Scottsdale, AZDecember 19, 2012
The Mayo Way as upper level and Human resource management describes it as patient and employee centered. Patient's yes. Employees as well but allows for employees to do whatever they please to without zero repercussion. Meaning your co-workers can simply sit on the internet all day, day in and day out and be aloud to do so due to the laize-faire policies set forth. Productivity is almost impossible to measure as in the Mayo Way. For an oranganization to have such a strong brand, yet operate in such mickey mouse ways in beyond belief. The facade that the employee's love their job is abundant. The Human Resources department uses false accusations against an employee and is a hipoctic when inforcing policy.

If your the type of employee who wants to do nothing and get paid for it and feel fine about it. Then this is the place for you. However, if your work ethic is completely the opposite then the Mayo Way will drive you to leave, as I did.
Pros
compensation, benefits
Cons
work life balance, policy, and management has zero backbone.
Very productive
Postdoctoral Research Associate (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLJanuary 27, 2016
Professional, Caring place to work, Good culture at research and hospital, Nice working group, Helpful and Respectful, Good healthcare.
Freelance Art Director/Graphic Designer Mayo Clinic
Freelance Art Director/Graphic Designer (Former Employee) –  Scottsdale, AZDecember 10, 2015
I was a Freelance Art Director/Graphic Designer and worked at home
and met with staff at Mayo Clinic once every two weeks.

They were very supportive and interested in my portfolio and work I
had done at King Faisal Specialist Hospital in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia.
Especially my computer graphics of international posters for Physician's symposiums all over the world.

4.3