Mayville Engineering Company Employee Reviews

Needs serious improvement
Assembler/Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Byron Center, MISeptember 28, 2016
Had us working 7 days a week for over 2 months...then OT stopped, you were lucky to get 40 hours some weeks. In order to receive a raise or bid on a new job...you had to have at least 5 attendance points.
The place is loud and dirty. They took away our lunch break. It's way to hot in the summer...not enough fans and they are too cheap to buy new ones. They need to get rid of that ridiculous point system...or at least revamp it.
Pros
Good people
Cons
Point system, poor job training, constantly running out of material
Avoid if you can
Welder (Former Employee) –  Mayville, WIJune 7, 2016
During my "interview" they made it sound like its "your company". Nothing could be further than the truth. If you have a family and like spending time with them don't work here.

Have fun finding a daycare or babysitter when you hours change every day. You can start working an 8 hour day Monday, then a 9 on Tuesday, then 10 hour days the rest of the week including weekends without notice.

Everyone I talked to hates it. They were just putting up with it because they only had a few years till retirement or were young and it was pretty much their first job.

Small parts, High rates that are set by people that have no idea whats going on and when you can't hit those rates you don't get a raise in your review.

Attendence policy is a joke. You could get hit by an asteroid on your way to work, survive, and walk your way there just to be late by one minute and be terminated.

No advancement at all, co-workers act like your friends but stab you in the back. Pay isn't the worst but its because they can't keep people there.

There was no enjoyable part of this job in any shape or form.
Cons
too many to list.
Concerned applicant.....
Job applicant (Former Employee) –  Wytheville, Va /Atkins, VaAugust 1, 2016
I've heard more negative review than I have positive. But I work at Klockner Pentaplast and sounds like same place. Insurance is poor, way under competitive pay. Work 12 hours swing shift. 48-60 hours every week. Weekends come around once a month if you're lucky and don't have to work overtime to fill in for someone cause we are under staffed. And if you're lucky you'll get job on on first floor where they have air conditioning. Unfortunate for some of us, we are on 3rd floor with no air at all. We have fans that blows hot air and/ or dust from material all over you. And there are no ventilation to let the heat escape. It stays 88-112° in summer months. No higher management comes up to check on the very few of us because there are 7 flights of stairs to walk up (a total of 73 steps). So I would be very delighted to work a your company.
Pros
More days off, Set shift
Cons
Wages
there not up to part
Assembler/Machine Operator (Current Employee) –  Atkins, VAJanuary 17, 2017
I think this job was good at first now there laying off an they just cant get things up to part we have been promised so man things an they never come thru we have lost plenty of big companies.
This place is going down hill and pickin up speed!
Welder (Former Employee) –  WIMarch 26, 2015
I would not recommend working here if you have any kind of options. There just never seemed to be any regularity with this company, your either working 20hr overtime or they are letting people go. The things that people have already mentioned like very poor management, bad company moral, unfair point and criteria system for raises and promos, and disappearing benefits are all true.
The biggest problem by far for this company is management, not only were some of the manager and lead people totally unqualified for their positions but, some were actual convicts (zero people skills) and should not of overseen anyone. THEY ARE HIDING BEHIND THEIR EMPLOYEE OWNED STATUS, TO APPEAR AS A GOOD EMPLOYER.
Pros
Company owned HAH- What a joke!
Cons
Terrible management
Great Benefits and room for advancement
Purchasing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Mayville, WIFebruary 12, 2017
Great Company to work for. I was in Purchasing and thoroughly enjoy my job. Employees are helpful and great to work with.
horrible place to work
welder (Former Employee) –  wytheville,VAFebruary 7, 2015
upper management treats supervisors very badly which in turn causes supervisors to be overstressed and treat employees very badly. talks to employees like dogs. no annual raises and no opportunity for advancement. I worked there a year or two and every employee I talked to hated it. over work employees constantly, 6to7 days a week. normally 10hours or more daily. overscheduling by upper management with no backup plan for equipment breakdown. just work employees longer hours to make up schedule. maintenance rarely comes when called and never have parts in stock to fix anything. what looks good on paper for mec doesn't translate to good place to work not to mention supervisors don't know how to do hardly any of the jobs they are in charge of. New employees are thrown in headfirst and either sink or swim because not properly trained.
Pros
the employees are very nice and try to help as best they can
Cons
management all around from scheduling, production, personal relations skills
Good place to work at
Hand Welder/ Forklift Operator (Former Employee) –  Mayville, WIAugust 12, 2016
Get blueprints, locate parts, and start working.
The best part about working at MEC was the co-workers.
One of the perks of being a certified Welder is that you get to train the new people the way the job should be done the correct way.
Pros
The hours : 4 Ten hour days w/ OT on Friday
Cons
Spent too much time trying to locate parts that were needed to complete job.
Stay clear of the place in Vanderbilt, Mi
Part loader/ Washer (Current Employee) –  Vanderbilt, MiJanuary 21, 2015
First off when i got interviewed, i was told there is job advancements, promotions etc. Never any promotions or raises. I seen people there for 19 years and making $11 per hr. No future! Also was told they understand if someone can't make it to work due to the bad roads in the area and if the flu gets you. Well i had the flu on a thursday and friday. Called in and lost my job. They wouldn't even listen to reason or accept a doctor note stating i had a high fever and couldn't barley stand up! I begged for a second chance to hr and still they shot me down. Nobody can say when or if they will get the flu!
Pros
Mon-Friday work
Cons
Pay, ins, no advancements. Dead end job.
Productive workplace, really simple
Thermal Wrap Team (Current Employee) –  Wayland, MIDecember 30, 2014
This is a good company to work for if you just need a job. It pays decent and has passable benefits, but the management needs a course in people skills. The work itself is not bad, its the policies that are in effect. If you have a series of life events, regardless of how good a worker you are, you will be pointed out and lose your job. This doesn't sit well with me because you could lose your job for being in the hospital for 5 days. The zero-tolerance issue with the point system needs a review and should be overhauled to protect the employee.
Pros
great pay
Cons
terrible point system
Great associates on the production floor to work with; Family enviroment
Safety Facilitator/CI Coordinator/Process Engineer (Current Employee) –  Byron Center, MISeptember 15, 2015
My day consists of wearing many hats of responsibility, from CI initiatives to procurement of equipment and tools to reduce waste and or normal MRO items for all associates in the production environment.

I work well with all associates and I am the go to person they come to for support, encouragement, tools and information in achieving the goals and objectives established.

Working directly on floor with the associates to root out waste in the organization and listening to their concerns.

The hardest part of my job is very little support from management to implement CI as quickly as needed, and feel stifled to create an environment that allows for a solid culture for positive change.
Pros
Flexibilty and tenure
Cons
Long hours; 60 to 70 hr work weeks
no life out side of work
paint line (Current Employee) –  mayville wiFebruary 25, 2015
Thay say 4 10 hour days than it 6 12 hour days. its hard to set up baby siters. oh ya we are now on 5 8hour days and now we have to work Friday and maybe Saturdays
benefits
Cons
don't miss to much work
Good benefits to make up for poor management
purchasing (Current Employee) –  Wytheville, VANovember 21, 2015
The hardest part of the job is the lack of communication between management & purchasing. Without answers and proper training, I can't do my job as defined my same management. Typical day at work, is very very stressful. I try to help my co-workers with their needs, but almost always hit a wall with managers. I have learned most of my job on my own, because my trainer is always too busy doing other things.I quickly got buried & behind on things because things were thrown at me with little to no training. I have voluntarily worked late, through lunch, & come in early to try and get caught up.Turn over is horrific.
Small work pieces high rate!!!
Welder (Former Employee) –  Mayville, WINovember 8, 2015
Everyone there hates it but don't have many other options or have never worked anywhere else. Businesses take advantages of small towns like this and create near sweatshop style work environments. There's little safety enforced, long hours, high rates on small piecework, all very repetitive work, low morale, strict attendance policy, and an overall difunctional workplace. DON'T WORK HERE!!! Especially if you have a family or enjoy life!!!
Pros
It's a job
Cons
Too many to list. Refer to above.
I was a good company to work for until a year later when no one was getting hours.
Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Wautoma, WIMarch 14, 2016
I learned how to run some machines, I had a very nice supervisor, the co-workers were very nice to me and for the most part I enjoyed working at MEC.
Pros
Insurance, Fridays off and the whole weekend off too.
Cons
They started laying off people
former
Paint Line (Former Employee) –  Beaver DamMarch 13, 2015
It was one of the worst places I've worked. I was thrown in to position with little to almost no training. When I brought it up to supervisor, he asked me if I thought he had time for this problem. Really. I took this job with the mind set of 4- 10's with my weekends for family. Not really ended up worked 5-12's, never seen my kids or husband. Not worth it. I started to ask how long some of the co-workers had been there. Not one of them could say more then1 1/2 years. That means high turn over. Since I left I watch their wanted ads. I truly feel leaving there was the best thing.
Cons
Horrible management
awful job
welder (Former Employee) –  greenwood scJanuary 31, 2015
i worked there for almost 2 months before finding a real job that paid skilled welders what they deserved. management is a job and feels they can talk to you like a dog. hours are good if you have no family and no like 12hr days 6 days only off on sunday because they pay double time on sunday and they're not going to give you that. its a great job for convicted felons, unskilled trades and child molesters seeing as those types of ppl cant find a good job. best thing i ever did was quit mec. good luck
Pros
Cons
everything
Proactive company looking to the future
Plant maintenance/ Driver (Current Employee) –  Vanderbilt NorthMay 15, 2014
Good company to work for. Management is proactive with production,future goals and problem resolution. Great atmosphere where staff pulls their weight or they get in trouble - the way it should be. Don't expect to join up and sit around; you will be down the road. Been here a short time and just love it.
Pros
Proactive company
Cons
None, yet...
Quality oriented workplace
Engineering Intern (Current Employee) –  Beaver Dam, WIJanuary 3, 2015
They are constantly looking for ways to improve upon the quality of products and cost efficient methods to produce products in a safe and manageable manner. The workers are very friendly and are willing to help you out with whatever you need.
Fast paced employee owned
Quality Engineer (Current Employee) –  Mayville, WIJuly 2, 2014
Great cooworkers and pride by workers because the company is employee owned. High quality desires are held by everyone.
Small town atmosphere but above average technology at this company
Cons
not real flexible on work hours

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Mayville Engineering Company. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9