Mayville Engineering Company Employee Reviews

Could be much better
Product Design Engineer/Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Byron Center, MISeptember 6, 2017
Overall my experience has been positive. In some plants, good management exists, in other plants it's depressing and down right sickening the way people get treated by management. Terrible in some locations, excellent in others.

Some plants would benefit with new management and about a years worth of outside consulting on procedures, documentation and data management.
Pros
Lots of potential with the right management.
Cons
Potential is in trouble with certain managers
it's ok
Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Wayland, MIAugust 30, 2017
the job was decent and had good wages for the work though the management need a little something more and to care a little more. transportation options were poor
Ok company
Manager (Former Employee) –  Wytheville, VAAugust 30, 2017
It is ak company if you prefer working 10 ot15 hour days 6 to 7 days a week. It is seemingly cut throat company where you have to practice the "CYA" principals to avoid termination.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Everything Else
Good
Production Helper (Former Employee) –  Mayville, WIAugust 8, 2017
Its a good place to work depending on who your working with. I did a 3 man job transfer parts to be shipped transfer water. And make sure parts werent bent. I liked it thee tell they let me go for breaking my hand
Pros
Good money and good hours
Cons
They expect way to much out of one person
Not worth it
Machine operator (Current Employee) –  Byron center, miJuly 14, 2017
Horrible turnover rate. No real growth. No bonuses or promotions. The work environment is usually hot and muggy. No proper training for most things you do.
good place to work
Material Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Mayville, WIJune 9, 2017
good place to work. able to train for new jobs. hardest part is early morning hours. management is good in some locations not in others. good culture.
Pros
solid company
Cons
pay
Great place if you need a job
Skilled trades- Production braze (Former Employee) –  Vanderbilt, MIMay 7, 2017
Friendly work environment that inspires teamwork. Lack of compensation but the work is steady and a stable place to work. Everyone works well together to get the job done.
Pros
Cons
Compensation
Horrible work environment, no management, only yelling & screaming at employee's
Employee (Current Employee) –  Gaylord, MIApril 20, 2017
The biggest issue there is Management, constant yelling,screaming and threats made towards employee's by Plant management is a daily routine.
Chaotic, unorganized environment, extreme, unrealistic demands from management.
Under the table without customer knowledge of changing processes and or completely disregarding customer requirements.

By far the worst place I have ever experienced in all my years of manufacturing.
Pros
Pay is good
Cons
Plant managements behavior and treatment of employee's
A workplace going through alot of change
Assembly (Former Employee) –  Byron Center, MIMarch 20, 2017
The job is going through alot of change now. Which causes the workplace to become volatile at times. The most enjoyable part of the job is the comrade built with my co workers.
Stay away
Anonymous (Former Employee) –  Wytheville, VAMarch 7, 2017
Just stay away no matter how they try to reel you in. They will say anything to get you in the door. I have a lot of experience with this company and cannot even begin to describe the number of issues they have.
Great Benefits and room for advancement
Purchasing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Mayville, WIFebruary 12, 2017
Great Company to work for. I was in Purchasing and thoroughly enjoy my job. Employees are helpful and great to work with.
Productive and fun
Welder/Fabricator (Former Employee) –  Wautoma, WIFebruary 2, 2017
Loved working there was a friendly experience they will teach u very fast and teach u right send u to school to learn different jobs
Pros
Benefits education
there not up to part
Assembler/Machine Operator (Current Employee) –  Atkins, VAJanuary 17, 2017
I think this job was good at first now there laying off an they just cant get things up to part we have been promised so man things an they never come thru we have lost plenty of big companies.
Needs serious improvement
Assembler/Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Byron Center, MISeptember 28, 2016
Had us working 7 days a week for over 2 months...then OT stopped, you were lucky to get 40 hours some weeks. In order to receive a raise or bid on a new job...you had to have at least 5 attendance points.
The place is loud and dirty. They took away our lunch break. It's way to hot in the summer...not enough fans and they are too cheap to buy new ones. They need to get rid of that ridiculous point system...or at least revamp it.
Pros
Good people
Cons
Point system, poor job training, constantly running out of material
Good place to work at
Hand Welder/ Forklift Operator (Former Employee) –  Mayville, WIAugust 12, 2016
Get blueprints, locate parts, and start working.
The best part about working at MEC was the co-workers.
One of the perks of being a certified Welder is that you get to train the new people the way the job should be done the correct way.
Pros
The hours : 4 Ten hour days w/ OT on Friday
Cons
Spent too much time trying to locate parts that were needed to complete job.
Concerned applicant.....
Job applicant (Former Employee) –  Wytheville, Va /Atkins, VaAugust 1, 2016
I've heard more negative review than I have positive. But I work at Klockner Pentaplast and sounds like same place. Insurance is poor, way under competitive pay. Work 12 hours swing shift. 48-60 hours every week. Weekends come around once a month if you're lucky and don't have to work overtime to fill in for someone cause we are under staffed. And if you're lucky you'll get job on on first floor where they have air conditioning. Unfortunate for some of us, we are on 3rd floor with no air at all. We have fans that blows hot air and/ or dust from material all over you. And there are no ventilation to let the heat escape. It stays 88-112° in summer months. No higher management comes up to check on the very few of us because there are 7 flights of stairs to walk up (a total of 73 steps). So I would be very delighted to work a your company.
Pros
More days off, Set shift
Cons
Wages
Avoid if you can
Welder (Former Employee) –  Mayville, WIJune 7, 2016
During my "interview" they made it sound like its "your company". Nothing could be further than the truth. If you have a family and like spending time with them don't work here.

Have fun finding a daycare or babysitter when you hours change every day. You can start working an 8 hour day Monday, then a 9 on Tuesday, then 10 hour days the rest of the week including weekends without notice.

Everyone I talked to hates it. They were just putting up with it because they only had a few years till retirement or were young and it was pretty much their first job.

Small parts, High rates that are set by people that have no idea whats going on and when you can't hit those rates you don't get a raise in your review.

Attendence policy is a joke. You could get hit by an asteroid on your way to work, survive, and walk your way there just to be late by one minute and be terminated.

No advancement at all, co-workers act like your friends but stab you in the back. Pay isn't the worst but its because they can't keep people there.

There was no enjoyable part of this job in any shape or form.
Cons
too many to list.
I was a good company to work for until a year later when no one was getting hours.
Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Wautoma, WIMarch 14, 2016
I learned how to run some machines, I had a very nice supervisor, the co-workers were very nice to me and for the most part I enjoyed working at MEC.
Pros
Insurance, Fridays off and the whole weekend off too.
Cons
They started laying off people
Good benefits to make up for poor management
purchasing (Current Employee) –  Wytheville, VANovember 21, 2015
The hardest part of the job is the lack of communication between management & purchasing. Without answers and proper training, I can't do my job as defined my same management. Typical day at work, is very very stressful. I try to help my co-workers with their needs, but almost always hit a wall with managers. I have learned most of my job on my own, because my trainer is always too busy doing other things.I quickly got buried & behind on things because things were thrown at me with little to no training. I have voluntarily worked late, through lunch, & come in early to try and get caught up.Turn over is horrific.
Small work pieces high rate!!!
Welder (Former Employee) –  Mayville, WINovember 8, 2015
Everyone there hates it but don't have many other options or have never worked anywhere else. Businesses take advantages of small towns like this and create near sweatshop style work environments. There's little safety enforced, long hours, high rates on small piecework, all very repetitive work, low morale, strict attendance policy, and an overall difunctional workplace. DON'T WORK HERE!!! Especially if you have a family or enjoy life!!!
Pros
It's a job
Cons
Too many to list. Refer to above.